Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3833Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34021 of 34050 Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Member
 
emflorence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
Just put an order on my new Focus 600XD

Thanks for all help i got during the search for my new floorstand.

Basicaly now i need to decide wich transport to use, Lumin, Aurender, Naim, Auralic, etc...

Suggestions?


Regards,
Eduardo

My system:
Mains: Dynaudio Special 25, Central: Dynaudio Focus 220c, Surround: Dynaudio Audience 42
Pre-processor: Krell HTS 7.1, Power Amplifier: Krell S1500/5
DAC: Electrocompaniet ECD-1, Fonts: Oppo 93, AppleTV 2, Squeezebox Touch
Turntable: Avid Ingenium
emflorence is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34022 of 34050 Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
Just put an order on my new Focus 600XD

Thanks for all help i got during the search for my new floorstand.

Basicaly now i need to decide wich transport to use, Lumin, Aurender, Naim, Auralic, etc...

Suggestions?


Regards,
Eduardo
Congrats,as I told you by PM,I found that a better source feeding the digital signal DOES improve the sound dramatically to my ears...so I would say Naim,Lumin and Aurender would be a good place to start looking,Otto may have better options though,since he works for Dyn,I still have not tried the Connect hub.
So are you getting the old model,isn't the latest called xd 60?
emflorence likes this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34023 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
Just put an order on my new Focus 600XD

Thanks for all help i got during the search for my new floorstand.

Basicaly now i need to decide wich transport to use, Lumin, Aurender, Naim, Auralic, etc...

Suggestions?

Regards,
Eduardo
It depends.
Where is your music collection stored?
What streaming services do you want to use (Tidal, Qobuz, internet radio, Spotify, etc.)?
Do you want to control playback via a computer, or a tablet or phone? If the latter, Apple or Android?
Do you have other devices/players that you will be streaming music to as well?
Do you fancy Roon?

Of the ones you mentioned, I think Aurender is a bad choice unless you are dead set against streaming your music collection from a NAS or computer. They are expensive and only support Tidal and Qobuz services. The Lumin players are awesome, but the transport-only U1 is too expensive IMO. As far as I know, Naim doesn't make a network player without a DAC.

I store my music on a NAS and stream it via DLNA to various devices around the home. I also use Tidal and internet radio. I use an iPad Mini and my Android phone to control playback. I occasionally stream YouTube etc. from my laptop via AirPlay. I have an Auralic Aries Mini which I use in a modest outdoor system on my patio. Based on my experience with it, I recommend you look at the Auralic Aries and Aries LE if your use case resembles mine. Another one I can recommend is the Simaudio MiND, with one caveat that it doesn't support Roon (if that matters to you), although that may be coming in the future since Simaudio has Roon-certified some of its DACs.
emflorence likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
 
post #34024 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
Basicaly now i need to decide wich transport to use, Lumin, Aurender, Naim, Auralic, etc...

Suggestions?


Regards,
Eduardo
Don't forget to consider the Elac Discovery as well
emflorence likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #34025 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
Member
 
emflorence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
Basically i will be using a Sinology NAS and Tidal and an Apple TV. All my controls will come from apple devices, iPad's or even iPhones, if it does allows it.

USB is also good, it just add ore flexibility, but i guess almost all sollution would enable me using it. I pretend in the future buy the Oppo 205, but i am not sure if i would be getting Tidal with it. For now, I don't care much about Roon.

I see you got a Linn DS, Red, is it also a good solution? and how Auralic Aries do compare to it?

I noted there is also a new solution from Bryston.

I am looking right now for the best sound quality... this first survey will not consider the costs of equipment (but it will also look for somethind that does not go over U$5k). At least i would be able to list the options in the market and see reviews from the internet. Here in Brazil, its hard to get a demo or an audiction at a dealer.

Red, i am considering Aurender, do you think is is a good solution considering SQ, or Auralic Aires beats it or Luimin D1 (since i will need the digital out, i am not sure it T1 will make a huge difference)?


Regards,
Eduardo

My system:
Mains: Dynaudio Special 25, Central: Dynaudio Focus 220c, Surround: Dynaudio Audience 42
Pre-processor: Krell HTS 7.1, Power Amplifier: Krell S1500/5
DAC: Electrocompaniet ECD-1, Fonts: Oppo 93, AppleTV 2, Squeezebox Touch
Turntable: Avid Ingenium
emflorence is online now  
post #34026 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just a quick update, I settled with a Naim Supernait - wow what a combo! My Focus 260s are singing and dancing now! Superb synergy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34027 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Just a quick update, I settled with a Naim Supernait - wow what a combo! My Focus 260s are singing and dancing now! Superb synergy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amused,if you don't mind,can you post your thoughts of the Naim gear you bought versus the Hegel gear you demoed,it seems like many people here choose Hegel,and you went with Naim...maybe we can get this thread moving again.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34028 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Eduardo,


The only selling point of Aurender is the internal storage. They were originally designed to be music servers, i.e. you transfer all of your music onto the Aurender’s hard drive and play from there rather than streaming over the network. That’s fine if you only play your music in one place and your music library is going to live on the Aurender. For me that doesn’t work because I have 8 DLNA capable playback devices in my house, 3-4 of which I use on a regular basis, and there is no way I want to maintain separate copies of my library. Also, in order to get SPDIF output I think you need the N10 which is $8k or the W20 which is >$15k. The cheaper models only have USB output, so you would need a USB to SPDIF converter or you would have to buy the Connect (which is limited to 24/96).

I like my Linn DS players a lot but it would be a waste to buy one to use only as a transport. Same for the Lumin S1, A1, T1. The D1 isn’t too expensive, so if it has a good transport it would be worth considering, but I don’t know if it has a good transport. I’ve heard good things about the U1 transport, but it’s $5900 in the US.

The new Bryston is a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ board in an expensive box. I don’t have any experience with it, but it would seem to be best used with Roon.

Given you’re streaming from a Synology NAS, and will be using Apple devices as control points, I think the Auralic Aries would be a good choice. I did read some reports of flaky behavior when it was new on the market, but my Aries Mini has worked just fine. Lumin is nice too and has a great iPad control app, but it doesn’t work on a phone. Both will support Tidal and Roon in case you want to try that in the future.


Dave


HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
post #34029 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Member
 
emflorence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
Auralic Aries seems to be the champion here, as I don't want to spend 5kU$ right now. I saw a review of Lumin D1 with outbord power supply, it seems that it improve a lot the SQ, but anyway, Aries is only a streamer, soo all costs went to give the system a better quality overall (at least compared to Lumin D1).

I can not find dealers in Brazil, but i have a trip to California by May, i might use my Logitech Squeezebox until there. If things sound crap with it, i might import an Auralic.


Regards,
Eduardo.

My system:
Mains: Dynaudio Special 25, Central: Dynaudio Focus 220c, Surround: Dynaudio Audience 42
Pre-processor: Krell HTS 7.1, Power Amplifier: Krell S1500/5
DAC: Electrocompaniet ECD-1, Fonts: Oppo 93, AppleTV 2, Squeezebox Touch
Turntable: Avid Ingenium
emflorence is online now  
post #34030 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Member
 
emflorence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
No quarter, I see that you use yours for HT, and you also use subwoofers for it. Do you think sub's are realy necessaries due to the low frequency of Focus 600XD?

I don't have sub's in my ht right now, but i am missing low's. If I still thin i need low's i might use some SVS or other cost/bennefit sub (compared to JLAudio).

Regards,
Eduardo

My system:
Mains: Dynaudio Special 25, Central: Dynaudio Focus 220c, Surround: Dynaudio Audience 42
Pre-processor: Krell HTS 7.1, Power Amplifier: Krell S1500/5
DAC: Electrocompaniet ECD-1, Fonts: Oppo 93, AppleTV 2, Squeezebox Touch
Turntable: Avid Ingenium
emflorence is online now  
post #34031 of 34050 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
No quarter, I see that you use yours for HT, and you also use subwoofers for it. Do you think sub's are realy necessaries due to the low frequency of Focus 600XD?

I don't have sub's in my ht right now, but i am missing low's. If I still thin i need low's i might use some SVS or other cost/bennefit sub (compared to JLAudio).

Regards,
Eduardo
Yes you need subs,or a sub for home theatre,the xd's may go down to 20hz,but I am not convinced that you are getting much output at that frequency.I would say,wait and see what you think with the firmware update,according to Otto,there is a significant upgrade coming as far as spl' or dynamics.My Jl's definitely add to the experience.
emflorence and yonson like this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34032 of 34050 Old Today, 06:29 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Amused,if you don't mind,can you post your thoughts of the Naim gear you bought versus the Hegel gear you demoed,it seems like many people here choose Hegel,and you went with Naim...maybe we can get this thread moving again.


Sure mate.

I demoed the Hegel H360 beast with a pair of Spendor speakers, not with my Dyn's. But I did get the idea of how the amp works. It is a very refined amp, lots of details, very wide soundstage. However, it is also a bit boring for my taste, no real slam and attack. I wouldn't recommend it for heavier stuff (rock, metal, etc.). I also tested it's internal DAC, it's a very good one, but my Chord Mojo produced a slightly deeper soundstage. Both the sales person and myself agreed the Mojo was the better DAC.

Then I tried Exposure 3010S2-D. It's got bags more personality than the Hegel, more energy and bite. However, it was also pretty bright, may I say even harsh a bit. So I didn't like either of them enough to ask for a home demo.

Then I got the chance to listen to a preloved Supernait with my Dyn's at home. Wow, the rhythm, the precision, the timing, the energy! It filled the midrange my setup was missing with the Arcam. I was sold immediately, the difference was immense! Not just compared to the Arcam A29, but also compared to the Moon i3 (rated at 100w at 8ohms). The 80w Supernait appeared to have almost double the power of a 100w Moon.

IMHO, the synergy is great. The Supernait is able to control the Dyn's, whereas the Arcam and the Moon failed. Perhaps a higher ranked Moon amp would do a better job, but the one I tested just wasn't for me.

Now off to get a HiCap or a TeddyCap by Teddy Pardo, any suggestions in that direction would be highly appreciated.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no quarter likes this.
**Amused** is online now  
post #34033 of 34050 Old Today, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Amused, I read your thread on the Naim forum and it was quite entertaining saga to read. I've got my 340s on order and deciding between saving some pennies more to get something new later or getting something used now. I saw quite a few interesting 202/200 combos for sale. Might be an option but I'm not so fond of ending up with too many boxes around.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of building some speaker cables (it's not rocket science really), and I'm also looking for some decent spike shoes or replacements. Anyone uses Soundcare superspikes? (http://www.soundcare.no/) Any recomendations?
unbalanced output is online now  
post #34034 of 34050 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Sure mate.

I demoed the Hegel H360 beast with a pair of Spendor speakers, not with my Dyn's. But I did get the idea of how the amp works. It is a very refined amp, lots of details, very wide soundstage. However, it is also a bit boring for my taste, no real slam and attack. I wouldn't recommend it for heavier stuff (rock, metal, etc.). I also tested it's internal DAC, it's a very good one, but my Chord Mojo produced a slightly deeper soundstage. Both the sales person and myself agreed the Mojo was the better DAC.

Then I tried Exposure 3010S2-D. It's got bags more personality than the Hegel, more energy and bite. However, it was also pretty bright, may I say even harsh a bit. So I didn't like either of them enough to ask for a home demo.

Then I got the chance to listen to a preloved Supernait with my Dyn's at home. Wow, the rhythm, the precision, the timing, the energy! It filled the midrange my setup was missing with the Arcam. I was sold immediately, the difference was immense! Not just compared to the Arcam A29, but also compared to the Moon i3 (rated at 100w at 8ohms). The 80w Supernait appeared to have almost double the power of a 100w Moon.

IMHO, the synergy is great. The Supernait is able to control the Dyn's, whereas the Arcam and the Moon failed. Perhaps a higher ranked Moon amp would do a better job, but the one I tested just wasn't for me.

Now off to get a HiCap or a TeddyCap by Teddy Pardo, any suggestions in that direction would be highly appreciated.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was the Exposure amp brand new out of the box or had it been broken in? Usually that brightness/harshness can settle down a bit over time. That amp has quite a following and is known to pack a lot of VFM.

How about saving up more to get a new or used HCDR? The TeddyCap gets mixed reviews.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34035 of 34050 Old Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced output View Post
Hi Amused, I read your thread on the Naim forum and it was quite entertaining saga to read. I've got my 340s on order and deciding between saving some pennies more to get something new later or getting something used now. I saw quite a few interesting 202/200 combos for sale. Might be an option but I'm not so fond of ending up with too many boxes around.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of building some speaker cables (it's not rocket science really), and I'm also looking for some decent spike shoes or replacements. Anyone uses Soundcare superspikes? (http://www.soundcare.no/) Any recomendations?
Where are you getting your 340s?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34036 of 34050 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced output View Post
Hi Amused, I read your thread on the Naim forum and it was quite entertaining saga to read. I've got my 340s on order and deciding between saving some pennies more to get something new later or getting something used now. I saw quite a few interesting 202/200 combos for sale. Might be an option but I'm not so fond of ending up with too many boxes around.



In the meantime, I'm thinking of building some speaker cables (it's not rocket science really), and I'm also looking for some decent spike shoes or replacements. Anyone uses Soundcare superspikes? (http://www.soundcare.no/) Any recomendations?


Hi mate, not sure that 202/200 combo will be able to properly control the 340s!

As I already said, the Moon i3 I tested is my friend's amp, he is using it to run his Focus 160's and it sounds brilliant in his setup. However, the i3 utterly failed to control my 260s.

My guess is you should go for the 250 power amp as a minimum. Since you're getting the 340s you certainly have a much bigger room than I do. The 340s have bigger drivers and require more power than the 260s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34037 of 34050 Old Today, 09:00 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Was the Exposure amp brand new out of the box or had it been broken in? Usually that brightness/harshness can settle down a bit over time. That amp has quite a following and is known to pack a lot of VFM.



How about saving up more to get a new or used HCDR? The TeddyCap gets mixed reviews.


It was a demo unit, warmed up for some 20 mins before testing. Perhaps not yet broken in. But I liked it more than the Hegel, despite the enormous price difference between the two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34038 of 34050 Old Today, 09:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Where are you getting your 340s?
Fischer HiFi in Switzerland (http://shop.fischerhifi.ch/). I don't think they ship outside the country but I can offer to help. They've got some more clearance stuff there.
unbalanced output is online now  
post #34039 of 34050 Old Today, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Hi mate, not sure that 202/200 combo will be able to properly control the 340s!

As I already said, the Moon i3 I tested is my friend's amp, he is using it to run his Focus 160's and it sounds brilliant in his setup. However, the i3 utterly failed to control my 260s.

My guess is you should go for the 250 power amp as a minimum. Since you're getting the 340s you certainly have a much bigger room than I do. The 340s have bigger drivers and require more power than the 260s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 202/200 would work ok with the 340's,it is pretty much on the same level as the supernait.Of course MORE power is always good with any Dyn speaker.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34040 of 34050 Old Today, 10:47 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
The 202/200 would work ok with the 340's,it is pretty much on the same level as the supernait.Of course MORE power is always good with any Dyn speaker.

Well, I don't think it would be a proper match. The 200 (70w) is weaker than the Supernait (80w), and the Focus 340 has 2 x 18cm woofers, whereas the 260 has only one 17cm woofer. So I think the 250 is the minimum for proper control. Unless he wishes to go down my path with an underpowered amp. The 340s require more current than the 260s in order to deliver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34041 of 34050 Old Today, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Well, I don't think it would be a proper match. The 200 (70w) is weaker than the Supernait (80w), and the Focus 340 has 2 x 18cm woofers, whereas the 260 has only one 17cm woofer. So I think the 250 is the minimum for proper control. Unless he wishes to go down my path with an underpowered amp. The 340s require more current than the 260s in order to deliver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is funny,a week ago you were almost pulling the trigger on an xs to run your 260's,which have two woofers also don't they?...Now you don't think a 200 can power a 340,which is the same load as a 260(87db).Anyway,I agree a 250 dr would be the amp I would shoot for,but I am sure the 200 would also be up to it,by the way,a separate amp usually has more grunt than an integrated in my experience,regardless of the numbers.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34042 of 34050 Old Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Well, I don't think it would be a proper match. The 200 (70w) is weaker than the Supernait (80w), and the Focus 340 has 2 x 18cm woofers, whereas the 260 has only one 17cm woofer. So I think the 250 is the minimum for proper control. Unless he wishes to go down my path with an underpowered amp. The 340s require more current than the 260s in order to deliver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 340 has 1x 15cm mid-range and 2x 18cm woofers in a 3-way design. The 260s have 2x 17cm woofers in a 2-way design. I've powered the 340s with a 40 watt Octave V40SE and the 180 watt T+A R1000 E and let me just say the Octave was very capable! It didn't back down at all playing rock music loudly or anything else I thru at it. As a matter of fact I've seen the same V40 power the S5.4s and I thought well this will be a disaster, and kid you not it punched out music way better then I expected. Emilio who use to work for Dyn USA didn't even seemed worried about the demo but I could tell my dealer was nervous.

I'm not saying more power (watts) isn't better if you want more volume, I heard the Sapphires and V80 and it did play louder, but I whole heartedly feel the NAP200 would power the 340s just fine. My U2 (70w) hasn't ever broken a sweat with my 260s and at 60 on the volume I give up but the U2/260s just keep playing louder. And at 60 I'm pushing 96/97 dbs.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is offline  
post #34043 of 34050 Old Today, 11:24 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
That is funny,a week ago you were almost pulling the trigger on an xs to run your 260's,which have two woofers also don't they?...Now you don't think a 200 can power a 340,which is the same load as a 260(87db).Anyway,I agree a 250 dr would be the amp I would shoot for,but I am sure the 200 would also be up to it,by the way,a separate amp usually has more grunt than an integrated in my experience,regardless of the numbers.


Well, I asked for advice and the majority on the Naim forum told me to go for the Supernait instead of the XS, and that's what I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34044 of 34050 Old Today, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Well, I asked for advice and the majority on the Naim forum told me to go for the Supernait instead of the XS, and that's what I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that,I am one of the people who gave you advice to go for more power,as far as I understand the Naim pecking order,the 202/200 is above the Supernait...so a pretty decent combo.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34045 of 34050 Old Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Well, I asked for advice and the majority on the Naim forum told me to go for the Supernait instead of the XS, and that's what I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So many people on the Naim forum have had too much Naim Kool-Aid!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is offline  
post #34046 of 34050 Old Today, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The 250.2 is another category IMHO. However, even used they don't come very cheap. The sweetspot for me is somewhere between the SN2 and the 202/250.2.

edit: *used

Last edited by unbalanced output; Today at 01:13 PM.
unbalanced output is online now  
post #34047 of 34050 Old Today, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 202


Thought I would show some progress on my c4 cloned speakers. Cnc work is done. Next to start assembling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
callas01 and yonson like this.
dashpuppy is online now  
post #34048 of 34050 Old Today, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 130
That would be closer to an Evidence clone with 4 woofers...
yonson is online now  
post #34049 of 34050 Old Today, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
That would be closer to an Evidence clone with 4 woofers...


A what ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dashpuppy is online now  
post #34050 of 34050 Old Today, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 130
yonson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off