Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3857Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #34051 of 34072 Unread 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post


No they look like the c4 with an extra pair woofers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dashpuppy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34052 of 34072 Unread 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
carlm9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New to the Dynaudio club!

I have been wanting a pair of Dynaudios for years now and about a month ago I scored a great deal on a pair of S3.4's and love them. They match really well with my current gear, Yamaha 5100 and Wyred4Sound amp, 500W modules in 8ohm. Then about a week ago a pair of used S5.4's went up on Audiogon and I scooped them up. I got them for about $1K less than my S3.4's. I was so excited to get them but when I finally got them hooked up, I was completely let down. They are so flat and not engaging at low to moderate volumes but as you turn them up they blossom into the beasts I expected. The problem is that I don't listen to music that loud. By the time the tweeter opens up the bass it completely pressurizing my 13x15 foot room, even with the bass port plugs installed.

Please let me know if this is a characteristic of the S5.4's or is it a problem with my Wyred not driving them properly. I would really appreciate any input from you. Thanks
carlm9 is online now  
post #34053 of 34072 Unread 02-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Henrik B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
Every driver they test is tested with 1000W. oh and they test EVERY driver before it leaves the factory. This is just one of 86 tests that are performed on every driver.
I don't know where you've gotten this information - but it's wrong!

M.v.h.
Henrik B is offline  
 
post #34054 of 34072 Unread 02-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik B View Post
I don't know where you've gotten this information - but it's wrong!

M.v.h.
LOL 1000w to a speaker DAMN !!!
callas01 likes this.
dashpuppy is online now  
post #34055 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 04:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Well, I asked for advice and the majority on the Naim forum told me to go for the Supernait instead of the XS, and that's what I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
we did tell you XS would be fine. But you wouldn't believe.

anyway 202/200 will be fine for a Focus 340. Agree with Callas and No quarter.

the Nap 200 can power speakers that even 250.2 struggles with, as it is not a regulated design.
no quarter likes this.
arashid is offline  
post #34056 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mr. Integration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik B View Post
I don't know where you've gotten this information - but it's wrong!

M.v.h.
This information comes directly from the manufacturer. Perhaps something got lost in translation. I will verify but I am sure Otto can clarify.

Overall it is typically not power that destroys speakers. It is more likely a lack of power that has killed many a driver.

I do know that if a company manufactures OEM for cars the quality control is extremely high.

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
Mr. Integration is offline  
post #34057 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
This information comes directly from the manufacturer. Perhaps something got lost in translation. I will verify but I am sure Otto can clarify.

Overall it is typically not power that destroys speakers. It is more likely a lack of power that has killed many a driver.

I do know that if a company manufactures OEM for cars the quality control is extremely high.
Um what ?


the manufacture pushes 1000-Watts into their speakers before they leave the factory ? ( i don't think that's correct )
dashpuppy is online now  
post #34058 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mr. Integration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
Um what ?


the manufacture pushes 1000-Watts into their speakers before they leave the factory ? ( i don't think that's correct )
Actually I verified that this is accurate. 1000 W millisecond burst in addition to following

Actual measurements of a frequency response include one for the tweeter dome (just the dome), one for each complete driver (including the tweeter again), and then for each complete speaker. This means a tweeter dome is actually tested three times. This can be compared to many competitors only spot testing.

This is currently true for ALL home speakers, from Emit to Evidence. The other various checks vary from line to line, for instance there are many more visual checks of a Confidence cabinet than for an Emit cabinet.

Another fact that often impress people is that a driver can be scrapped even if it measures fine. Some kinds of buzz and rattle don't show up on a frequency sweep, but will still cause a driver to be scrapped by the tester. This is why a frequency sweep counts as more than one "check"...

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
Mr. Integration is offline  
post #34059 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashid View Post
we did tell you XS would be fine. But you wouldn't believe.



anyway 202/200 will be fine for a Focus 340. Agree with Callas and No quarter.



the Nap 200 can power speakers that even 250.2 struggles with, as it is not a regulated design.

Yeah, I was told too that Moon was the perfect match for the Dyn's, yet it failed miserably as it wasn't much better than the cheap Arcam to my ears.

All I can say is - he needs to audition that combo before buying and believe his ears. Perhaps it will be great for him, perhaps not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is online now  
post #34060 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlm9 View Post
New to the Dynaudio club!

I have been wanting a pair of Dynaudios for years now and about a month ago I scored a great deal on a pair of S3.4's and love them. They match really well with my current gear, Yamaha 5100 and Wyred4Sound amp, 500W modules in 8ohm. Then about a week ago a pair of used S5.4's went up on Audiogon and I scooped them up. I got them for about $1K less than my S3.4's. I was so excited to get them but when I finally got them hooked up, I was completely let down. They are so flat and not engaging at low to moderate volumes but as you turn them up they blossom into the beasts I expected. The problem is that I don't listen to music that loud. By the time the tweeter opens up the bass it completely pressurizing my 13x15 foot room, even with the bass port plugs installed.

Please let me know if this is a characteristic of the S5.4's or is it a problem with my Wyred not driving them properly. I would really appreciate any input from you. Thanks
I have not heard the 5.4's myself,but would think it is more of a speaker that you would buy for a large room with high spl's .So,that is why most people tend to do a home demo first,before they buy,kind of like buying a transport truck for city driving.I would try a different amp before moving them on though,maybe anything by Naim,they tend to be a good match for Dyn,even a Unitiqute 2 would work for low volume,it appears a pair of emit's might of been all you need with your low volume preference.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is offline  
post #34061 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
...even a Unitiqute 2 would work for low volume,it appears a pair of emit's might of been all you need with your low volume preference.
I would think the C1s or Focus 160s would be great for lower-level listening due to the tweeter

amatuerholic is offline  
post #34062 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I would think the C1s or Focus 160s would be great for lower-level listening due to the tweeter
The problem is,he already bought the 5.4's,but if you look at the last page,Callas said he heard the 5.4's with an Octave v40, and it sounded great,so that might be something to look at,or Naim...aren't those Wyred for sound mono's class d,which might not help the situation,he needs some warmth it sounds like .

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is offline  
post #34063 of 34072 Unread 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I think the Contour S5.4 needs to be played moderately loud (preferably in a big room) to come alive. Even more so than my 1st gen C2. Same for the older C1 and S1.4. Maybe the C4 too, but I've only heard it in rooms that were too small for it. My Focus 160s are possibly better balanced for low volume playback than those speakers, but they still sound better when played above 75 dB average level.

I have never had the pleasure of hearing the S3.4, but the measurements I've seen show a little bit of "smile" shape in the frequency response, which is like having a little built-in loudness compensation and would make them better at lower volume than the S5.4 which is pretty flat.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
post #34064 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
carlm9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Update on the S5.4's

I was able to move them into my other family room that is wide open and have them about 4 feet off the back wall. It was a much better result in that the bass was amazing and not overpowering as it was in my smaller living room. The high end was still very laid back but when I turned the volume up the speakers came alive filling all the adjacent rooms and upstairs with great sounding music. Once again, it was at volumes I would never listen to for any extended period of time. I appreciate the assistance as I was worried that they were defective. I think the main difference is that the 3.4LE's tweeter is much more forward than the Esotar 2 tweeter.

Luckily, I didn't sell the 3.4's yet so I have decided to keep them and sell the 5.4's. I have never had a problem with the Wyred4Sound amp, even driving my old Maggie 1.7's. It is a very detailed amplifier that has excellent bass control, just doesn't match well with the 5.4's. I have been wanting to try a Hegel integrated but don't think I want to spend the $2-3K right now. I am also going to demo the C20's next weekend so anything is possible. Good to be a Dynaudio Owner!
amatuerholic likes this.
carlm9 is online now  
post #34065 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
The problem is,he already bought the 5.4's,but if you look at the last page,Callas said he heard the 5.4's with an Octave v40, and it sounded great,so that might be something to look at,or Naim...aren't those Wyred for sound mono's class d,which might not help the situation,he needs some warmth it sounds like .
I was referring to your comment regarding the Emit line if all his listening was done at lower levels

amatuerholic is offline  
post #34066 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,988
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Octave/5.4 setup did require moving the dial a little more then it did with the 3.4, C1 or X16s.

Naim Id probably say a NAP200/NAC202 or SN is where you want to land to start.

Yes the Esotar2 is more laidback then the 3.4LE tweeter.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is offline  
post #34067 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Denmark
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I believe it is the crossover design that is more forward in the 3.4LE.

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer
Solgryn is offline  
post #34068 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlm9 View Post
Update on the S5.4's

I was able to move them into my other family room that is wide open and have them about 4 feet off the back wall. It was a much better result in that the bass was amazing and not overpowering as it was in my smaller living room. The high end was still very laid back but when I turned the volume up the speakers came alive filling all the adjacent rooms and upstairs with great sounding music. Once again, it was at volumes I would never listen to for any extended period of time. I appreciate the assistance as I was worried that they were defective. I think the main difference is that the 3.4LE's tweeter is much more forward than the Esotar 2 tweeter.

Luckily, I didn't sell the 3.4's yet so I have decided to keep them and sell the 5.4's. I have never had a problem with the Wyred4Sound amp, even driving my old Maggie 1.7's. It is a very detailed amplifier that has excellent bass control, just doesn't match well with the 5.4's. I have been wanting to try a Hegel integrated but don't think I want to spend the $2-3K right now. I am also going to demo the C20's next weekend so anything is possible. Good to be a Dynaudio Owner!
Finally someone else is going to audition New Contour! Looking forward to your comments.
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34069 of 34072 Unread Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Member
 
cbrehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester, MD
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Focus 220 MKI vs. 260's

Hi, it has been a while since I posted, and upgraded, but I wanted to get a sense of what I may expect to notice in the 260's vs. the 220's? I am using a Hegel H200 integrated, OPPO 105D source, Nordost Frey speaker cables and Blue Heaven power cord and interconnects. Any insights and opinions very much appreciated. Thank you
cbrehm is online now  
post #34070 of 34072 Unread Today, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Otto,i am anxiously waiting for the xd update,i noticed on the Dyn site there is a page that is dated March first 2017,but when you click on XD 600,it is still March 2016 for updates...any information yet????

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is offline  
post #34071 of 34072 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrehm View Post
Hi, it has been a while since I posted, and upgraded, but I wanted to get a sense of what I may expect to notice in the 260's vs. the 220's? I am using a Hegel H200 integrated, OPPO 105D source, Nordost Frey speaker cables and Blue Heaven power cord and interconnects. Any insights and opinions very much appreciated. Thank you
260's are more neutral and transparent sounding speakers with a ton of bass but require more power. Hegel 200 should do a good job (no harm in upgrading in future ;-) ). How big is your room?
Matrixman18 is online now  
post #34072 of 34072 Unread Today, 11:58 AM
Member
 
cbrehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester, MD
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
260's are more neutral and transparent sounding speakers with a ton of bass but require more power. Hegel 200 should do a good job (no harm in upgrading in future ;-) ). How big is your room?
Thanks Matrixman, the room is 20X20.
cbrehm is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off