Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3944Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34201 of 34212 Old Today, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Consider the Auralic Aries Mini for $500. Should work great!
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34202 of 34212 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.
AAM does that too.
Spurrier Sucks is online now  
post #34203 of 34212 Old Today, 01:16 PM
Newbie
 
Sirmorebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.
Can't have everything
Try this new dac/streamer:

http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/so...tures.aspx#top

Review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-sonica-dac-reviewed/

Can do DSD.
Sirmorebeer is offline  
 
post #34204 of 34212 Old Today, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
AAM does that too.
I thought you just installed a NAS,if the AAM acts as a NAS,why did you? Also,Sirmorebeer,I have a streamer already,that has a dac,plus I have a Chord Hugo,The thing I am looking for stores all your music,like a NAS(which I don't want) and rips cd's,maybe it is more of a renderer than a server.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34205 of 34212 Old Today, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,977
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.
Tony you should get and use the NAS for a backup. If a server loses the HD or SSD you have nothing (except a lot of ripping to do over again). I would recommend at least a dual bay NAS that mirrors. I lost a drive in one of my NAS units and all I had to do was put in a replacement drive. It re-mirrored itself and I could still use the NAS while it was re doing the mirror. Hardware does fail.

That said if the NAS unit itself dies the drive(s) can't be read anywhere (keeps people from stealing a HD with data on it and reading it in another unit unless the NAS is the exact same model). I have 2 cheapie NAS units (same model) for that reason. Once I had the original NAS with all the music I had on it I powered it down and pulled one of the drives. After the drives were formatted in the backup NAS I failed the primary drive by powering the unit down - pulling the drive and powering back up again. Powered back down again and replaced the drive I pulled with the one that had all the music on it. Powered back up and the NAS replicated all the music I had to the empty drive.

Just a thought
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #34206 of 34212 Old Today, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Tony you should get and use the NAS for a backup. If a server loses the HD or SSD you have nothing (except a lot of ripping to do over again). I would recommend at least a dual bay NAS that mirrors. I lost a drive in one of my NAS units and all I had to do was put in a replacement drive. It re-mirrored itself and I could still use the NAS while it was re doing the mirror. Hardware does fail.

That said if the NAS unit itself dies the drive(s) can't be read anywhere (keeps people from stealing a HD with data on it and reading it in another unit unless the NAS is the exact same model). I have 2 cheapie NAS units (same model) for that reason. Once I had the original NAS with all the music I had on it I powered it down and pulled one of the drives. After the drives were formatted in the backup NAS I failed the primary drive by powering the unit down - pulling the drive and powering back up again. Powered back down again and replaced the drive I pulled with the one that had all the music on it. Powered back up and the NAS replicated all the music I had to the empty drive.

Just a thought
Hi George,my music is all on a western digital external hard drive right now,which I have never had a problem with,it is plugged in to my laptop,to me,this is all I need if I get a Melco for example,I would copy it all on the Melco,and the existing drive will then be backup.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/.../10304248.aspx
hey,I noticed you were asking a question about the Naim Core over on the Naim forum,did you get one?
I just really want to keep all my gear on my Naim Fraim,including possibly a Core,or Melco,a nice tidy solution...I have an open shelf just waiting...

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34207 of 34212 Old Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I thought you just installed a NAS,if the AAM acts as a NAS,why did you? Also,Sirmorebeer,I have a streamer already,that has a dac,plus I have a Chord Hugo,The thing I am looking for stores all your music,like a NAS(which I don't want) and rips cd's,maybe it is more of a renderer than a server.
I used mine in a second system. Didn't want to spend the cash on a HDD or SSd. I used it for Tidal but I had minimserver running on my Mac mini too. AAM looks just like what you want and only $500 with a year of Tidal included.
Spurrier Sucks is online now  
post #34208 of 34212 Old Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,977
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Hi George,my music is all on a western digital external hard drive right now,which I have never had a problem with,it is plugged in to my laptop,to me,this is all I need if I get a Melco for example,I would copy it all on the Melco,and the existing drive will then be backup.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/.../10304248.aspx
hey,I noticed you were asking a question about the Naim Core over on the Naim forum,did you get one?
I just really want to keep all my gear on my Naim Fraim,including possibly a Core,or Melco,a nice tidy solution...I have an open shelf just waiting...
No Rhettard got one and he says if you recycle power on it the Core may take hours to re-sync with the NAS. Rhettard is to efing lazy to ask the question himself. I still have the unitiserve. With the Core out the US's are going for just over 1K USD. But the US uses a laptop drive which is prone to fail before desktop drives. The US like the Core only has digital out. Honestly the digital out from my old Meridian G08 blows away the US digital out. You would have to ask Rhett if the digital on the Core is better than the US. I would hope it is.
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #34209 of 34212 Old Today, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I used mine in a second system. Didn't want to spend the cash on a HDD or SSd. I used it for Tidal but I had minimserver running on my Mac mini too. AAM looks just like what you want and only $500 with a year of Tidal included.
Where does the drive go,is it a mini drive?...I guess I could google it,it is just that I am not convinced the sound quality would be there compared to the Melco for instance.On the link to the Melco I provided,he said"The Melco N1A buffaloed my MacBook Pro+ Synology NAS.It destroyed them,embarrassed them,and gave them a good schooling to boot"...so there you go.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34210 of 34212 Old Today, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Where does the drive go,is it a mini drive?...I guess I could google it,it is just that I am not convinced the sound quality would be there compared to the Melco for instance.On the link to the Melco I provided,he said"The Melco N1A buffaloed my MacBook Pro+ Synology NAS.It destroyed them,embarrassed them,and gave them a good schooling to boot"...so there you go.
It's your money. Both CD and Jax use the AAM as their streaming source. Hell of a little box.
no quarter likes this.
Spurrier Sucks is online now  
post #34211 of 34212 Old Today, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
It's your money. Both CD and Jax use the AAM as their streaming source. Hell of a little box.
I am sure it is a great little box,sometimes I forget that some of these guys using Melco's on the Naim forum have 200 k wrapped up in their gear.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34212 of 34212 Old Today, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 161
So here it is, tomorrow 09:00 speakers will be here

Then I got to head strait to the Audio Fest show so I wont be able to hook them up until night time.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (Still waiting...). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
BigAl87 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off