Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3954Likes

post #34201 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Consider the Auralic Aries Mini for $500. Should work great!
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34202 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I should of mentioned that I am looking for a music server that also stores the music,which will eliminate the need for a NAS,everything I have been reading suggests that this option will provide better sound.Right now I use my laptop and j-river with my music on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop.Call me crazy if you want,but people spend thousands on fancy Ethernet cables and audiophile switches etc.,that given my nature,I would obsess over,so this simple route is BEST for me....thanks for some of the suggestions,I have to do some more homework,Mr Integration,the NAD server looks real nice,but it concerns me that it is limited to 24/192,and no DSD,unless they plan on updates on the future,I believe for DSD it would need analog outputs though,so that might be why there is no support.
AAM does that too.
post #34203 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Can't have everything
Try this new dac/streamer:

http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/so...tures.aspx#top

Review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-sonica-dac-reviewed/

Can do DSD.

post #34204 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AAM does that too.
I thought you just installed a NAS,if the AAM acts as a NAS,why did you? Also,Sirmorebeer,I have a streamer already,that has a dac,plus I have a Chord Hugo,The thing I am looking for stores all your music,like a NAS(which I don't want) and rips cd's,maybe it is more of a renderer than a server.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #34205 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Tony you should get and use the NAS for a backup. If a server loses the HD or SSD you have nothing (except a lot of ripping to do over again). I would recommend at least a dual bay NAS that mirrors. I lost a drive in one of my NAS units and all I had to do was put in a replacement drive. It re-mirrored itself and I could still use the NAS while it was re doing the mirror. Hardware does fail.

That said if the NAS unit itself dies the drive(s) can't be read anywhere (keeps people from stealing a HD with data on it and reading it in another unit unless the NAS is the exact same model). I have 2 cheapie NAS units (same model) for that reason. Once I had the original NAS with all the music I had on it I powered it down and pulled one of the drives. After the drives were formatted in the backup NAS I failed the primary drive by powering the unit down - pulling the drive and powering back up again. Powered back down again and replaced the drive I pulled with the one that had all the music on it. Powered back up and the NAS replicated all the music I had to the empty drive.

Just a thought
post #34206 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Tony you should get and use the NAS for a backup. If a server loses the HD or SSD you have nothing (except a lot of ripping to do over again). I would recommend at least a dual bay NAS that mirrors. I lost a drive in one of my NAS units and all I had to do was put in a replacement drive. It re-mirrored itself and I could still use the NAS while it was re doing the mirror. Hardware does fail.

That said if the NAS unit itself dies the drive(s) can't be read anywhere (keeps people from stealing a HD with data on it and reading it in another unit unless the NAS is the exact same model). I have 2 cheapie NAS units (same model) for that reason. Once I had the original NAS with all the music I had on it I powered it down and pulled one of the drives. After the drives were formatted in the backup NAS I failed the primary drive by powering the unit down - pulling the drive and powering back up again. Powered back down again and replaced the drive I pulled with the one that had all the music on it. Powered back up and the NAS replicated all the music I had to the empty drive.

Just a thought
Hi George,my music is all on a western digital external hard drive right now,which I have never had a problem with,it is plugged in to my laptop,to me,this is all I need if I get a Melco for example,I would copy it all on the Melco,and the existing drive will then be backup.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/.../10304248.aspx
hey,I noticed you were asking a question about the Naim Core over on the Naim forum,did you get one?
I just really want to keep all my gear on my Naim Fraim,including possibly a Core,or Melco,a nice tidy solution...I have an open shelf just waiting...

post #34207 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought you just installed a NAS,if the AAM acts as a NAS,why did you? Also,Sirmorebeer,I have a streamer already,that has a dac,plus I have a Chord Hugo,The thing I am looking for stores all your music,like a NAS(which I don't want) and rips cd's,maybe it is more of a renderer than a server.
I used mine in a second system. Didn't want to spend the cash on a HDD or SSd. I used it for Tidal but I had minimserver running on my Mac mini too. AAM looks just like what you want and only $500 with a year of Tidal included.
post #34208 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Hi George,my music is all on a western digital external hard drive right now,which I have never had a problem with,it is plugged in to my laptop,to me,this is all I need if I get a Melco for example,I would copy it all on the Melco,and the existing drive will then be backup.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/.../10304248.aspx
hey,I noticed you were asking a question about the Naim Core over on the Naim forum,did you get one?
I just really want to keep all my gear on my Naim Fraim,including possibly a Core,or Melco,a nice tidy solution...I have an open shelf just waiting...
No Rhettard got one and he says if you recycle power on it the Core may take hours to re-sync with the NAS. Rhettard is to efing lazy to ask the question himself. I still have the unitiserve. With the Core out the US's are going for just over 1K USD. But the US uses a laptop drive which is prone to fail before desktop drives. The US like the Core only has digital out. Honestly the digital out from my old Meridian G08 blows away the US digital out. You would have to ask Rhett if the digital on the Core is better than the US. I would hope it is.
post #34209 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I used mine in a second system. Didn't want to spend the cash on a HDD or SSd. I used it for Tidal but I had minimserver running on my Mac mini too. AAM looks just like what you want and only $500 with a year of Tidal included.
Where does the drive go,is it a mini drive?...I guess I could google it,it is just that I am not convinced the sound quality would be there compared to the Melco for instance.On the link to the Melco I provided,he said"The Melco N1A buffaloed my MacBook Pro+ Synology NAS.It destroyed them,embarrassed them,and gave them a good schooling to boot"...so there you go.

post #34210 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where does the drive go,is it a mini drive?...I guess I could google it,it is just that I am not convinced the sound quality would be there compared to the Melco for instance.On the link to the Melco I provided,he said"The Melco N1A buffaloed my MacBook Pro+ Synology NAS.It destroyed them,embarrassed them,and gave them a good schooling to boot"...so there you go.
It's your money. Both CD and Jax use the AAM as their streaming source. Hell of a little box.
no quarter likes this.
post #34211 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's your money. Both CD and Jax use the AAM as their streaming source. Hell of a little box.
I am sure it is a great little box,sometimes I forget that some of these guys using Melco's on the Naim forum have 200 k wrapped up in their gear.

post #34212 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So here it is, tomorrow 09:00 speakers will be here

Then I got to head strait to the Audio Fest show so I wont be able to hook them up until night time.
no quarter likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (Still waiting...). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #34213 of 34220 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
I just got a Simaudio MiND to use with mine 600XD. I will use it to stream Tidal and network music (stored at a Synology NAS), but if you can decide on a better overall performance component for a bargain price, that would also make me happy.

just wondering, when using network streamer to stream Tidal, does it stream hifi quality?

I am really confused about this coz,
http://www.hegel.com/images/manuals/...stersGuide.pdf

in here Hegel says:"1. Download the TIDAL desktop app
You cannot play ”Masters” les in your browser or your phone (as per Jan 2017). You must go to Tidal’s website and download the desktop application."
post #34214 of 34220 Old Today, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 473
On my Naim Uniti2 it plays what I'm signed up for on my account. I signed up for the hifi $20/mo plan so that gives me the 16/44.1 flac version that my Uniti plays. In the case of the Hegel the dac isn't a streamer so it sounds like they're advising you on the beat was to get the most from tidal and their dac. Also I am not sure if this has changed but I know using a PC, it use to be that you had to use google chrome web browser to get the hifi played properly, that may have changed now, IDK haven't looked at it in a while, since the software is built into my Naim streamer.
lilneige likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #34215 of 34220 Old Today, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm assuming the question was regarding Tidal "masters" i.e. MQA. The Tidal computer application for Windows or Mac OSX can decode MQA streams. The various streamer music players that support Tidal playback cannot decode MQA, at least not yet. The iOS, Android, and web players can't decode MQA either. Not that I care, I am looking forward to the death of MQA, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have an Auralic Aries Mini and it does allow you to connect a USB hard drive, but the unit is best used as a DLNA renderer. The attached storage feature is nice to have when a friend visits you with some files on a USB stick, but I wouldn't use it as the primary way to access your music.

Regarding the choice of streamer + NAS vs. a directly attached music server, the biggest benefit of streaming from a NAS, or from a desktop computer in lieu of a NAS, is that you only have to maintain your music library in one place. And only have to back it up from one place. Some of them can also be configured to automatically replicate/shadow copy your files so that each file exists on two hard drives. And for those that don't, you can use RAID mirroring. Either way, if you lose a drive, you're not down until you restore from backup.

I've played with a couple music servers with internal storage e.g. Sony and they seem to make it a hassle to keep the internal copy of the library up to date.
lilneige likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #34216 of 34220 Old Today, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Now I'm excited heading to the show now. Have a good day guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2045809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2045817  
lesc, Bluvette, callas01 and 4 others like this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (Still waiting...). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #34217 of 34220 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I'm assuming the question was regarding Tidal "masters" i.e. MQA. The Tidal computer application for Windows or Mac OSX can decode MQA streams. The various streamer music players that support Tidal playback cannot decode MQA, at least not yet. The iOS, Android, and web players can't decode MQA either. Not that I care, I am looking forward to the death of MQA, hopefully sooner rather than later.
thank you for the clarification.

This is exactly where I am confused about. There are many network streaming that claim to have Tidal support, but vaguely mention about the sound quality of Tidal playback on their machine.
post #34218 of 34220 Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There are two types of Tidal subscriptions, Tidal Premium for $9.99/month (US), and Tidal HiFi for $19.99/month.

With a Tidal Premium subscription you get a lossy compressed stream, either 96kpbs AAC or 320kbps AAC depending on whether you select normal or high quality in the player.

With a Tidal HiFi subscription, you can also get a CD-quality stream (16bits/44.1kHz) that is losslessly compressed with FLAC. Nearly all players support this format, you just have to select it in the player. The only playback option that doesn't handle the CD-quality FLAC stream is if you're using the web player with a browser other than Chrome.

If you have a Tidal HiFi subscription, you can also access Tidal "Masters". Tidal Masters are MQA files, mostly from Warner music. These are sourced from higher-than-CD resolution files (24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, etc.) and they are lossily compressed into a 24/44.1 FLAC container using MQA encoding. If you're streaming Tidal Masters via the Windows or MacOSX application, the application will decode the MQA stream into its original format (24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, etc.) for playback using non-MQA hardware. If you have a DAC that supports MQA, you can have the application pass the MQA stream through to the DAC for decoding.

For now, these are the only ways to decode Tidal Masters. Streaming music players which support Tidal such as those from Auralic, Naim, Linn, Lumin, Simaudio, etc. aren't capable of playing Tidal Masters.

Hope that clears it up.

Dave

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #34219 of 34220 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
DSD is coming as well as audio through the HDMI..or so I hear

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #34220 of 34220 Old Today, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
There are two types of Tidal subscriptions, Tidal Premium for $9.99/month (US), and Tidal HiFi for $19.99/month.

With a Tidal Premium subscription you get a lossy compressed stream, either 96kpbs AAC or 320kbps AAC depending on whether you select normal or high quality in the player.

With a Tidal HiFi subscription, you can also get a CD-quality stream (16bits/44.1kHz) that is losslessly compressed with FLAC. Nearly all players support this format, you just have to select it in the player. The only playback option that doesn't handle the CD-quality FLAC stream is if you're using the web player with a browser other than Chrome.

If you have a Tidal HiFi subscription, you can also access Tidal "Masters". Tidal Masters are MQA files, mostly from Warner music. These are sourced from higher-than-CD resolution files (24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, etc.) and they are lossily compressed into a 24/44.1 FLAC container using MQA encoding. If you're streaming Tidal Masters via the Windows or MacOSX application, the application will decode the MQA stream into its original format (24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, etc.) for playback using non-MQA hardware. If you have a DAC that supports MQA, you can have the application pass the MQA stream through to the DAC for decoding.

For now, these are the only ways to decode Tidal Masters. Streaming music players which support Tidal such as those from Auralic, Naim, Linn, Lumin, Simaudio, etc. aren't capable of playing Tidal Masters.

Hope that clears it up.

Dave
Two exceptions to that which I know of are ALL Bluesound streaming devices, which includes all the speakers (Flex, Pulse, Pulse Mini and Pulse Soundbar), and the Mytek Brooklyn. There's probably more.

Also, Universal Music has now signed on to MQA, so expect the Tidal library of MQA (labeled as "Masters" by Tidal) to expand exponentially soon.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page