Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3998Likes

Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Thanks Oliver! I have dropped about 45 lbs so far and looking close to my college self, few more to go tho. I'm down 3 pant sizes and it felt great to go shopping for new clothes! Haha.

That's good that they're getting better. I think after 20 hours I started to crank it up a bit. How long till you move the Sudgen for the Naim pieces??
It will take a bit a time not to mention I will be moving tha big Bryston beast as well.

I might put a deposit on 250 DR shortly to make sure it is still available.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
It will take a bit a time not to mention I will be moving tha big Bryston beast as well.

I might put a deposit on 250 DR shortly to make sure it is still available.
You should crank it up with some Lindsey Stirling Crystalize.... I love that song when I can crank it....
emflorence likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Did you get to hear that at the show?
Why are you posting??? Feed the woman some ice chips or help her breathe thru the contractions!!!
I'm just killing time waiting. She has a cup of ice chips. Not much longer.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
No but I spoke with Naim dealer and they confirm what I thought anyways might as well just go 272/250dr without PS upgrade instead of 202 HI-CAP with 250DR for about $1500 more only.
What happened I thought you didn't want a streamer!!?? The Oppo was all the streamer you needed!?! I swear you and john change ur minds like women change clothes for a night out. ??
I reserve the right to change my mind. All options are just that. Options. Until I do decide then I can second guess myself for the next few years. :P

Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked: 11052
Quote:

I reserve the right to change my mind. All options are just that. Options. Until I do decide then I can second guess myself for the next few years. :P
With a little coach on the way you best buy those D 5.1's today. Don't worry, it will be months before the wife sees the bank statement. And by then you'll be on to D 5.2's.
BigAl87 and yonson like this.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Quote:

With a little coach on the way you best buy those D 5.1's today. Don't worry, it will be months before the wife sees the bank statement. And by then you'll be on to D 5.2's.
The little coach is here!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked: 11052
Quote:
A huge congrats, my friend!
Spurrier Sucks likes this.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
So guys, any suggestion around the digital cable to use to conect my Focus XD each other? I am running source (Moon MiND) with Heimdall 2.

Regards,
Eduardo
Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
So guys, any suggestion around the digital cable to use to conect my Focus XD each other? I am running source (Moon MiND) with Heimdall 2.

Regards,
Eduardo
Why not get another Heimdall 11?,those happen to be the cables i use.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopedude View Post
Guys, I'm a new member here, my first post

I'm offered a pair of Focus 160 (brand new) at $1,670. Is it a good price? I know it's a discontinued model and the dealer just want to finish this model.
Yes, it's a good price. For reference, I paid $2000 for mine when I first heard they were discontinued. That was after production had stopped but while there was still inventory and they were still listed on Dynaudio's web site. In the US, Dedicated Audio cleared out the last remaining stock, and the lowest price I saw at the bitter end of the clearance was $1800. Retail price was USD $2900 when they were a current model.

Used Focus 160s are typically advertised on Audiogon and Audio Mart for $1600-1800. A few higher and lower than that. A realistic sale price for used 160s in good condition is probably around $1500. So if you can get a new pair for $1670, I would go for it. If you end up not liking them, you're only going to lose 10% or so on resale.

I think the second generation Focus offered excellent performance for the price. They should have sold like hot cakes. At first I thought their look & finish was kind of low budget, but they sounded better than they looked. And the look has grown on me over time.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No Quarter,

I am not sure about your budget, but have you considered Antipodes? I have been very pleased with mine. It will rip CDs, has internal storage, and will run ROON core as well as serve as an endpoint. In fact, you can load all kinds of software and use it as a source for the whole house. Support and the US distributor have been great. The distributor is local for me in Atlanta. The down side is that Antipodes is expensive and there are little quirks. For instance, if you are ripping a CD while listening to music and the CD gets stuck in a loop, you have to reset the system to get the CD to eject.

The reason I am offering a suggestion is that I have been following your journey with the XD 600s. It would be very convenient for me to run my Antipodes directly into the XDs and I appreciate your feedback. Last weekend, I had a chance to listen to the XD 600s locally, but was not very impressed. Come to find out, they were new, had the old software, and were being used with room correction that outputs an analogue signal. Hopefully I will get to hear them again in a better set-up.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi all

I have some XD 600's coming in this week, and can't wait! The first thing I'll be doing is the 3.0 firmware update, and some serious listening afterwards. Will be interesting to see how the sound changes during burn-in. My signal chain will be purely digital: Roon (NAS/Tidal) --> Sonore uRendu --> Audiophilleo 2 MK2 (S/PDIF) --> XD 600.

I'll post some comparisons with my current Ayre/PSB setup.

Last edited by rogue3092; 03-27-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briangiannini View Post
No Quarter,

I am not sure about your budget, but have you considered Antipodes? I have been very pleased with mine. It will rip CDs, has internal storage, and will run ROON core as well as serve as an endpoint. In fact, you can load all kinds of software and use it as a source for the whole house. Support and the US distributor have been great. The distributor is local for me in Atlanta. The down side is that Antipodes is expensive and there are little quirks. For instance, if you are ripping a CD while listening to music and the CD gets stuck in a loop, you have to reset the system to get the CD to eject.

The reason I am offering a suggestion is that I have been following your journey with the XD 600s. It would be very convenient for me to run my Antipodes directly into the XDs and I appreciate your feedback. Last weekend, I had a chance to listen to the XD 600s locally, but was not very impressed. Come to find out, they were new, had the old software, and were being used with room correction that outputs an analogue signal. Hopefully I will get to hear them again in a better set-up.

Thanks
Hi Brian,it is funny you mention Antipodes,my local dealer suggested their music server to me,as he carries them i guess.I had never heard of them before last week,i have done some research and they seem to get good reviews.I asked about them on E.S.A.C.,and the founder(CD lehner) thought they are overpriced,and look like someone just slapped together some off the shelf componets,put a fancy box around them ,and put a big price tag on them.
I am demoing a Naim Unitiserve in a couple of weeks,because i thought about getting a Naim Core(new product)but there appear to be some bugs to work out with that unit.Which Antipodes model do you have?I appreciate your feedback on them,because it would be easy for me to get one of those.As far as the XD 600's go,the update makes a big difference,and i find digital input,hard wired to be the best source,i am not sure why anyone would apply room correction,because they have switches on the back that are supposed to help with that,but i have not played with those too much myself.Does the Antipodes unit you have,also have an RCA out,because the ones i looked at were USB out?

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the DS model, but they have a bunch. Mine is strictly USB output and would require a an upgrade to add RCA and optical.

I would caution you on the "off the shelf components in a fancy box". The box is nice, but it isn't that fancy. More importantly, there is a ton of custom code that you might want to research. That said, I don't have any idea how it compares to Naim. Verastarr.com is the NA distributor and Mike Powell is very knowledgeable.

Good luck,
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briangiannini View Post
I have the DS model, but they have a bunch. Mine is strictly USB output and would require a an upgrade to add RCA and optical.

I would caution you on the "off the shelf components in a fancy box". The box is nice, but it isn't that fancy. More importantly, there is a ton of custom code that you might want to research. That said, I don't have any idea how it compares to Naim. Verastarr.com is the NA distributor and Mike Powell is very knowledgeable.

Good luck,
Yes i agree there is more to it than just slapping some components in a fancy box.That is something that is WAY over my head,and the guy who stated that has built quite a few of his own servers,so is way more knowledgable than me,but i am not the type to fiddle with things,i just go out and buy what is the best product for my situation,so the jury is still out on that...but the Antipodes is definitely on my radar.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Hi Brian,it is funny you mention Antipodes,my local dealer suggested their music server to me,as he carries them i guess.I had never heard of them before last week,i have done some research and they seem to get good reviews.I asked about them on E.S.A.C.,and the founder(CD lehner) thought they are overpriced,and look like someone just slapped together some off the shelf componets,put a fancy box around them ,and put a big price tag on them.
I am demoing a Naim Unitiserve in a couple of weeks because i thought about getting a Naim Core(new product)but there appear to be some bugs to work out with that unit.Which Antipodes model do you have?I appreciate your feedback on them,because it would be easy for me to get one of those.As far as the XD 600's go,the update makes a big difference,and i find digital input,hard wired to be the best source,i am not sure why anyone would apply room correction,because they have switches on the back that are supposed to help with that,but i have not played with those too much myself.Does the Antipodes unit you have,also have an RCA out,because the ones i looked at were USB out?
Tony with the pricing on the Core out the US should be pretty reasonable on the pre owned market. That said the internal HD is the weak link (it's a craptop drive in a fanless micro computer - heat is the problem). SSD should be more reliable BUT now you need a Nas to stream from. The SSD doesn't hold the rips. BTW Rhettard has an internal HD for the Core and he finally is importing his music from the Nas and hopefully when the Core gets power cycled it won't take hours to compile the music from his Nas. IMO the Nas should be the backup only.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; Yesterday at 05:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Tony with the pricing on the Core out the US should be pretty reasonable on the pre owned market. That said the internal HD is the weak link (it's a craptop drive in a fanless micro computer - heat is the problem). SSD should be more reliable BUT now you need a Nas to stream from. The SSD doesn't hold the rips. BTW Rhettard has an internal HD for the Core and he finally is importing his music from the Nas and hopefully when the Core gets power cycled it won't take hours to compile the music from his Nas. IMO the Nas should be the backup only.
Yes George I can actually get the one I am demoing for $2,200.00 Canadian,it is my dealers demo unit,that he has had for a while.I am hoping to get some idea of what to expect if I went with the core,and I am trying to avoid getting a NAS,you can add up to 16 TB to the Core.My plan is to try it directly into the XD's,directly into the N272,and into my Hugo...then into the N272 from the Hugo,to see what sounds best.Hell,if I like the Unitiserve,I may just go with it.

Old Today, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to emflorence
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Yes George I can actually get the one I am demoing for $2,200.00 Canadian,it is my dealers demo unit,that he has had for a while.I am hoping to get some idea of what to expect if I went with the core,and I am trying to avoid getting a NAS,you can add up to 16 TB to the Core.My plan is to try it directly into the XD's,directly into the N272,and into my Hugo...then into the N272 from the Hugo,to see what sounds best.Hell,if I like the Unitiserve,I may just go with it.
Keep us updated! ??

Best regards,
Eduardo
Old Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
My biggest concern with the Core is the fact it can't stream internet radio (but it could be in a future update). The Unitiserve can. But what the US can't do is subscribe to premium services like tidal etc.

As far as internal Hd's for the Core the largest Hd I can find today is a 10TB Seagate and 8TB with western digital
Old Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
This is awesome news!!! Someone to train in the audio perfection ways

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore