Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #34441 of 34452 Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Yonson, sorry I missed you, quick couple of hours for me and I have a medical conference I am working in the morning. The Contour 60 where very good, not quite refined as the confidence line but one awesome sounding speakers! The 12th floor room was where they really shined, the smaller room the bass was too boomy, they definitely need room to breath. The Gray Oak was my favorite finish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9590_1492835382166.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2096257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34442 of 34452 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tiny room, F260 or e 12's & JL sub?

Hi, I have a very tiny room- about 7 1/2 feet x 12 feet. Right now I have dynaudio exite 12 speakers. They fill the room. Love them for classical and folk, but am missing the bass for everything else. Bass seems muted to me. I'm wondering if I should try to get a used pair of focus 260's or maybe a small JL sub- like the e-110. Or if anyone has other suggestions... I like the idea of the focus 260's, but am wondering if I'd even be able to hear them in such a small room.

Are there any other small subs which have the clairity of the JL's? I haven't heard them yet, but I was fussy in a showroom and they were recommended. I didn't like the RELs etc.

I have a parasound 2100 preamp and 2125 amp. Old Bel Canto DAC2 and an old Sony ES 5 disc player.
post #34443 of 34452 Old Today, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by light12 View Post
Hi, I have a very tiny room- about 7 1/2 feet x 12 feet. Right now I have dynaudio exite 12 speakers. They fill the room. Love them for classical and folk, but am missing the bass for everything else. Bass seems muted to me. I'm wondering if I should try to get a used pair of focus 260's or maybe a small JL sub- like the e-110. Or if anyone has other suggestions... I like the idea of the focus 260's, but am wondering if I'd even be able to hear them in such a small room.

Are there any other small subs which have the clairity of the JL's? I haven't heard them yet, but I was fussy in a showroom and they were recommended. I didn't like the RELs etc.

I have a parasound 2100 preamp and 2125 amp. Old Bel Canto DAC2 and an old Sony ES 5 disc player.
I have the excite 12's playing right now in my 2 channel set up,my room is bigger though (11x13) and at one time i brought up one of my fathom 112's from home theater to try here with them...it was fantastic,plenty of chest thumping bass,and the fathom is easy to set up/blend with the excite's.I would think the E-110 might be just what you need,great subs,that you can always use for home theater,or 2 channel,now if you go with the focus 260's,you run the risk of them NOT working in that small space,but i would think they might be ok,there are plenty of 260 fans here that will probably give you their thoughts,myself,i would get the sub.
BigAl87 likes this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's

post #34444 of 34452 Old Today, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Gar it was great to see you and Aaron again. BTW did you mean Bluvette?
post #34445 of 34452 Old Today, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I have the excite 12's playing right now in my 2 channel set up,my room is bigger though (11x13) and at one time i brought up one of my fathom 112's from home theater to try here with them...it was fantastic,plenty of chest thumping bass,and the fathom is easy to set up/blend with the excite's.I would think the E-110 might be just what you need,great subs,that you can always use for home theater,or 2 channel,now if you go with the focus 260's,you run the risk of them NOT working in that small space,but i would think they might be ok,there are plenty of 260 fans here that will probably give you their thoughts,myself,i would get the sub.
Totally agree with you NQ, had my X-12 a while back with the F113 and that was fantastic and indeed the advantage of having a sub is you can always tune it and eq it so it sounds right and the E- sub can certainly be a nice complement to the X-12 as well. Considering room size of the OP, I would also go that route.
no quarter likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #34446 of 34452 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

Your room is too small for F260s in my opinion. They need 24" from the back wall and they will probably overload your room too much unless it's heavily dampened with acoustic treatments and bass traps. I'd suggest either a sub or the Excite X34s. The 34s produce good bass and are easier to place.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #34447 of 34452 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Can't comment of these particular speakers (was a former Dynaudio owner-miss them sometimes) but the JL subs are fantastic. They don't get a lot of love here as it's an ID world now for subs due to their price but I say they are worth every penny.

I'm using the Dominion D-110 in my bedroom and I love it. It's the perfect size for a bedroom or smaller space. I bet the e series might be better yet but I would not be afraid to try the Dominion first and see what you think. I run the Fathom 112 v2 in my living room moving from a REL and I would not trade it for anything. Now I just need a second. These things are built like tanks, smaller form factor, attractive and easy to set-up.

Here is a pic of the Dominion for size in 10. The e-series is the same size I believe. Perfect for smaller space or a bedroom.

I use mine with Sonus Faber Venere in the bedroom. You can see how not in the way it is. Great pairing and really easy to blend in.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JL2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2096681   Click image for larger version

Name:	JL1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2096689  
post #34448 of 34452 Old Today, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just came back from AXPONA. Thanks John, Chris and George. It was nice meeting you. Chris/ George- Do let us know what all other speakers and amps you heard.

So finally heard the C60s. Promusica messed them up by powering them with some tubes and vinyl and their room was small so not a good sound.

Then went to Joseph Audio Video and Quintessence Audio and hell yes...the C60s sound amazing. Joseph had them paired with Mark Levinson and Quintessence had them with Moon Audio power amps. Amazing clarity and bass was as tight as it could have been. Vocals were not sharp and balanced highs & mids. Will let others comment but I loved the sound of it and their sound stage was nice. But they are BIG speakers. You need to have a big room to get the best out of them and some good power to get that amazing sound. And the grey oak finish is really nice.
post #34449 of 34452 Old Today, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post

Thanks No Quarter. I'm going to check out a small prototype sub of another brand a guy has, if the highway ever opens- on going big slide here. It was a test build- hand made at the factory. He used it as a display model, he says excellent accuracy, but he's moving to a bigger room. If that doesn't sound clear enough I'll try and check out the e-110's. I'm more into clarity and precision than chest thumping though. Years ago I had a hand made prototype guitar - very cheap brand, but the prototype sounded as good as a high grade 60's Martin Marquis. So- we'll see (or hear).

Did you do any improvements to your room's walls to get a good sound? I'm getting a lot of high end fuzz or confusion with the sound bouncing off the walls. A little murky. It's like setting up in a closet...
post #34450 of 34452 Old Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Just came back from AXPONA. Thanks John, Chris and George. It was nice meeting you. Chris/ George- Do let us know what all other speakers and amps you heard.

So finally heard the C60s. Promusica messed them up by powering them with some tubes and vinyl and their room was small so not a good sound.

Then went to Joseph Audio Video and Quintessence Audio and hell yes...the C60s sound amazing. Joseph had them paired with Mark Levinson and Quintessence had them with Moon Audio power amps. Amazing clarity and bass was as tight as it could have been. Vocals were not sharp and balanced highs & mids. Will let others comment but I loved the sound of it and their sound stage was nice. But they are BIG speakers. You need to have a big room to get the best out of them and some good power to get that amazing sound. And the grey oak finish is really nice.
Good time!! Great meeting you and your wife. The C60's in the grey oak would be awesome, very nice speaker!! They definitely need room to breathe. Need to get together again when Tyler opens his store.

John
Garman likes this.
post #34451 of 34452 Old Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Gar it was great to see you and Aaron again. BTW did you mean Bluvette?
Great seeing both of you guys as well, and Yes to your question! I got a Belles Aria Pre/Amp playing right now and man it is very good, I think Aaron has been on to something with the combo of Dynaudio and "Belles" gear that's for sure! Now if I was going to get a new pair of Contours I would be going for the Gray Oak, pretty stunning looking!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; Today at 07:27 PM.
post #34452 of 34452 Old Today, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post

I agree, they sounded much better on the 12th Floor, where I saw Mike from Dynaudio! They sounded pretty damn good in the Quintessence room, I agree need a bigger room with those bigger bass drivers I think might take away from the clarity of the Esotar2, but they still sounded pretty damn good and I am sure none of those pairs are even close to being broke in yet. Still liked the sound of the Raidho D1.1s, it would have been nice to hear those two side by side, but I guess I will have to make a trip too Tyler's new place for that!

To all the Naim gear guys, the new stuff is very nice looking and sounds very good, just wish their price tag was more reasonable for some of their gear, regardless pretty cool looking stuff they have.. Much better looking than the plain black boxes with green lighting!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; Today at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore