Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4186Likes
post #34501 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Funny with regards to how a speaker sounds to each individual,a while back a friend of mine was over listening to my Naim/Taksim's combo...we were playing some DSD files I had,he was blown away with how good it sounded,yet he says,it sucks how a few of the songs have that "hissing" in the background,like it was poorly recorded.I agreed with him,but honestly I did not hear a thing,he is half my age,and I was a little embarrassed that these old ears do not work like they used to,so THAT factor takes some of the edge off bright recordings for me.
no quarter: The word "bright" is used when someone usually doesn't like some thing, in the audio world. Like I said I never heard Dynaudio and bright used in the same sentence till a few years back ago on this forum.. I guess if you say it enough then people will associate the two! Doh! I have owned just about every speaker they have made minus some of the Focus line and not once did I ever hear anything bright, minus maybe a few bad recordings which can make any speaker sound bright. But you are 100% spot on each individual hears differently and that can make ones taste when it comes to speakers vary greatly!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 04-25-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34502 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I really hate the word "Transparent" a overused term in the business world and to me, it means another "Brick Wall" is more like it! LOL Bright is another misused term as well! I do however agree with your statement above..
Totally agree with you as it is very hard to know what sounds how it was originally intended regardless of equipment, I will say if the shoe fits then buy it.
Garman likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #34503 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Totally agree with you as it is very hard to know what sounds how it was originally intended regardless of equipment, I will say if the shoe fits then buy it.
And don't forget "analytical" The term I have seen here with Dynaudio and Simaudio pairing. Nonsense.

You should say Simaudio with Dynaudio was bright and analytical.
BigAl87 likes this.

post #34504 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
And don't forget "analytical" The term I have seen here with Dynaudio and Simaudio pairing. Nonsense.

I will just say this, Stereophile has a whole audio jargon with definitions so you can understand what hey mean by the that but again to me it's all subjective.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

post #34505 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

I will just say this, Stereophile has a whole audio jargon with definitions so you can understand what hey mean by the that but again to me it's all subjective.
Inky black background and a veil lifted are a must with new gear or it isn't worth the upgrade.

I have bought a pair of C20 so I have they improve on my inky black background and remove the veil I have now. I also hope they are not too bright.
post #34506 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Inky black background and a veil lifted are a must with new gear or it isn't worth the upgrade.

I have bought a pair of C20 so I have they improve on my inky black background and remove the veil I have now. I also hope they are not too bright.
You will need Superlumina cables for all that to happen.
Bluvette and Spurrier Sucks like this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #34507 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hope you like the damn speakers Well turns out we are going to have very similar setups

Are you just adding to the garage?

post #34508 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I hope you like the damn speakers Well turns out we are going to have very similar setups

Are you just adding to the garage?
Having a good test drive for now. If I really like them I may move to c30. If I don't like them they will be easy to sell and ship. It's possible I could like them enough to keep them. We'll see how it goes.
BigAl87 likes this.
post #34509 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having a good test drive for now. If I really like them I may move to c30. If I don't like them they will be easy to sell and ship. It's possible I could like them enough to keep them. We'll see how it goes.
I think you will like them a lot,I have not heard the new Contours,but when I first got my 272/250dr,I borrowed my dealers C1 platinum's for a week,and it was pretty spectacular,my only gripe was that I could not turn them up loud enough without bottoming out the driver.This should be solved with the new driver technology in the Contour,plus you will have the Xpsdr that I did not at that time...prepare to be blown away!

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #34510 of 34524 Unread 04-25-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Well that could be a number of things, last year Rhett called the C1's bright and tipped up, first time I have ever heard that on anything ever from Dynaudio. I guess it all depends on what your ears hear and prefer, there are a ton of people no matter how good a ribbon tweeter is, they just don't like the sound. I however do like them and Maggies and prefer them some times over the Dyn's at times.
IMHO, it's pretty hard to get them to sound 'bright'.. maybe WYSIWYG - a true reflection of the recording..
But even with some nasty death metal I accidentally turned on, it was at worst 'neutral', or at best, just right
IMO, even if I played my cousin's worst recorded karaoke session done in mp3 on them, somehow, it sounds almost like Dame Kiri Te Wanawa ..
Garman likes this.
post #34511 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody had a chance to compare floorstanding Dynaudios with each other - XD60(0) vs Contour 60 vs Confidence C2, C4? I suppose each next step approximately doubles the price of setup but any opinions on added value? (Asking because I don't have a dealer able to make a demo in my country).
post #34512 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timour View Post
Anybody had a chance to compare floorstanding Dynaudios with each other - XD60(0) vs Contour 60 vs Confidence C2, C4? I suppose each next step approximately doubles the price of setup but any opinions on added value? (Asking because I don't have a dealer able to make a demo in my country).
I have heard the XD and Contour 60/30 and I would say the Confidence are more refined still, this isn't the first time that Dynaudio has used the famous Esotar2 in it's Contour series, it's done it before with the Contour 2.8 and Contour S5.4 which I use to own as well. The Contour 2.8 didn't have enough bass and it's the only Dynaudio speaker that I could get the drivers to bottom out with that speaker. The Contour C60 you will need a lot of room for those to breath, but can get the bass to calm down by proper placement and bass plugs provided. Frankly it's a coin toss, more refinement with the crossover and better blend of bass and good highs with the Confidence series, and much more bass slam with the new Contours is what I hear.. I am leaning towards a C20 (Gray Oak) bookshelf still, just not sure when I will buy them as the Emit 20 I have do a might fine job for that purpose.

So did I read this right Spurrier Sucks has a pair of C20 in the house? Do post pictures man!!!! <<<<<< Or was this just a big hint of sarcasm! lol
Timour likes this.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
post #34513 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timour View Post
I have heard the XD and Contour 60/30 and I would say the Confidence are more refined still, this isn't the first time that Dynaudio has used the famous Esotar2 in it's Contour series, it's done it before with the Contour 2.8 and Contour S5.4 which I use to own as well. The Contour 2.8 didn't have enough bass and it's the only Dynaudio speaker that I could get the drivers to bottom out with that speaker. The Contour C60 you will need a lot of room for those to breath, but can get the bass to calm down by proper placement and bass plugs provided. Frankly it's a coin toss, more refinement with the crossover and better blend of bass and good highs with the Confidence series, and much more bass slam with the new Contours is what I hear.. I am leaning towards a C20 (Gray Oak) bookshelf still, just not sure when I will buy them as the Emit 20 I have do a might fine job for that purpose.

So did I read this right Spurrier Sucks has a pair of C20 in the house? Do post pictures man!!!! &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Or was this just a big hint of sarcasm! lol
Not in house yet but on the way.
Garman and yonson like this.
post #34514 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
IMHO, it's pretty hard to get them to sound 'bright'.. maybe WYSIWYG - a true reflection of the recording..
But even with some nasty death metal I accidentally turned on, it was at worst 'neutral', or at best, just right
IMO, even if I played my cousin's worst recorded karaoke session done in mp3 on them, somehow, it sounds almost like Dame Kiri Te Wanawa ..
While I am using an amp I consider to be warm. I just can't see how anyone would describe the Contours as bright, or remotely bright.

Hell, I ran Audyssey XT32 (mainly for my sub) but for kicks I've gone back and forth between that and "pure direct" when listening to music. It seems to really turn up the high end, but even then it's not bright. Bordering on bright, but not bright or painful.

I've used some of my brightest recordings (Rush Roll the Bones I consider to be crazy bright) and on these speakers its maybe just to the bright side of neutral, but not bright. I've owned other speakers it's almost unlistenable at any volume.
post #34515 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you getting rid of your 2.5 or keeping both? I would opt for both! Post some pictures when you get them, what finish?

green giant: brightness is a matter of perspective!! I never heard Dyns being bright till I joined this forum and it's usually by some one that has a different speaker. Heck even all the reviews I have seen on Dyn's over the years never make any mention of being bright! I have bought home over the years because they are true to the music and one of the more neutral (Natural) sounding speakers "to my ears" that I have ever owned.

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 08:39 AM.
post #34516 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
So you getting rid of your 2.5 or keeping both? I would opt for both! Post some pictures when you get them, what finish?

green giant: brightness is a matter of perspective!! I never heard Dyns being bright till I joined this forum and it's usually by some one that has a different speaker. Heck even all the reviews I have seen on Dyn's over the years never make any mention of being bright! I have bought home over the years because they are true to the music and one of the more neutral (Natural) sounding speakers "to my ears" that I have ever owned.
Not sure yet. I may keep both or if I really like them I may go for C30. They are walnut finish.
post #34517 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

I never thought I'd use the word to describe Dyns, but after having some well-broken in Focus 160s in my home over that weekend, I experienced fatigue for the first time in a long while (coming from Focus 140s, which definitely don't sound bright).

I'd like to hear the new Contours at some point, but I'm not in a huge rush as I'm enjoying my current setup.
Bluvette likes this.

post #34518 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I never thought I'd use the word to describe Dyns, but after having some well-broken in Focus 160s in my home over that weekend, I experienced fatigue for the first time in a long while (coming from Focus 140s, which definitely don't sound bright).

I'd like to hear the new Contours at some point, but I'm not in a huge rush as I'm enjoying my current setup.
They where nice but a tad on the bass heavy side for me, hence I would most likely gravitate towards the C20... Right now I am going back to separates as my long stint with Int. Amps is coming to an end... Going Mono bloc Belles MB-200 and my new Aria Pre/Amp I got from Aaron.. using a Arcam Solo with the Emit 20 with some great results and will use Mono Blocs with C2's along with the Magnepan 1.7is. The only thing I might buy is the Contour 20 down the road otherwise I am set for some time as well...

post #34519 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They where nice but a tad on the bass heavy side for me, hence I would most likely gravitate towards the C20... Right now I am going back to separates as my long stint with Int. Amps is coming to an end... Going Mono bloc Belles MB-200 and my new Aria Pre/Amp I got from Aaron.. using a Arcam Solo with the Emit 20 with some great results and will use Mono Blocs with C2's along with the Magnepan 1.7is. The only thing I might buy is the Contour 20 down the road otherwise I am set for some time as well...
I think that will be a fantastic combo Garman,are those the same monoblocks and preamp that Borderdog uses?I always like reading that an amp doubles it's power from 8ohm's to 4ohm's,usually the sign of something special...my Cary 500.1 doubles down From 500 to 1000 watts!

post #34520 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I would describe the highs / Dynaudio tweeter, in every application I've heard, as just right: clear, airy, and non-fatiguing. Can listen to it for hours.

Now I think someone here mentioned their impression of Contour (C20/30/60) as having rolled off highs and I think this agrees with my 1-2 hours audition of C30. It came off as not-as-tipped-up as my 260s. Less aggressive, more relaxed. Just a warm blanket of encompassing sound all around me.

So if someone thinks Contour is fatiguing they had better not audition the old newer Focus line, which I think was more tipped up than the original Focus line. Contour still could be arguably more darker or warmer than the average Dyn speaker in the entire lineup but it is overall MUCH better balanced than say the S1.4 I heard a few years ago.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Schiit Modi2 Multibit (Black) | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)
post #34521 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I think that will be a fantastic combo Garman,are those the same monoblocks and preamp that Borderdog uses?I always like reading that an amp doubles it's power from 8ohm's to 4ohm's,usually the sign of something special...my Cary 500.1 doubles down From 500 to 1000 watts!
http://www.audiowaveshifi.com/belles.htm

I am so impressed with this Aria Pre/Amp that I wanted to complement it with a Belles Amp, and there was a company in Colorado that had a slightly used pair so I traded my Hegel for it, pretty much a done deal just packed the Hegel up, going to miss it's Swiss Army Knife appeal but I got some serious speakers so I want some clean serious power. Heck just with my rebuilt Chiro Amp and the Aria Pre/Amp it sounds better than the Hegel.. Not even using a Dac from the SACD Player I have and I am impressed but I got a couple of Dac that will work, plus the Sony HAP-Z1 will do the heavy lifting for DSD files etc... Pretty impressive pre/amp so far (Different than Borderdogs) Borderdog was spot on with this pairing, and I was going to go with the Aria mono blocs but I found these which is David Belles cream of the crop as far as Amps go.. Just a FYI Aaron is a dealer for Dyns and Belles gear, he doesn't say it on here but another good source I trust.

I highly recommended Lincoln Myorga & Distinguished Colleagues Vol. 3 CD or LP for some dynamic presentation, not my type of music usually but it gives your system a good workout! I heard the LP at Axpona this year and was extremely impressed with the recording on LP, I was blown away so I ended up finding a decent CD pressing of it via Sheffield Labs!

https://www.usahifi.com/sites/defaul...20Brochure.pdf
yonson likes this.

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
post #34522 of 34524 Unread Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 541
All talk of 'bright' speakers won't be complete without a separate thread on room treatment, and compatible gear..
A room with bare walls, no carpets etc will definitely sound brighter than another with throw cushions everywhere, so YMMV.
A bit of run-in of the amp, cables and other aspects do matter too. But IMO, the current Confidence and the Emit series are neutral to smooth. These are the two brands I have heard in depth. The last generation of Contours were smooth as well.
Garman likes this.
post #34523 of 34524 Unread Today, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Frankly it's a coin toss, more refinement with the crossover and better blend of bass and good highs with the Confidence series, and much more bass slam with the new Contours is what I hear..
Thank you very much - very helpful! You told you also heard XD - how would you compare them against Contour?
post #34524 of 34524 Unread Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Btw Otto has been very quiet lately. Munich High End is coming up. Coincidence?

Special40 anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore