Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4228Likes
post #34561 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Congrats John. A little different from what you're used to. Any initial out of the box impressions yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34562 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
No. I meant C4s because I asked the lady at the factory building them. All the first batch of pics did not upload.

If you did not know the new Contour has zero screws which is pretty crazy for a curved cabinet.
Interesting... At least you don't have to periodically check the tightness of the screws that hold the drivers. But are they glued in? If so is replacing a driver (in the rare case it's needed) have to be done by a dealer or distributor?
post #34563 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So... I've had the Contour 60's just over 2 weeks now.

The past 3-4 days I've finally really opened them up for extended periods. I've spent a fair amount of time working on adjusting room treatments, speaker location and general tweaking.

My room is 13x17x9. So, not huge, not tiny.

I'll be honest, when I first got them I liked them and a lot of what they could do, but had some small concerns. The biggest of which was that I thought at times they sounded congested and a little dark. The midrange was a little recessed, highs didn't quite snap off. To this point in my life I've never been a huge believer in break-in. (I've also never owned Dyn's). I was a bit confused and perplexed as I've always felt dyn's were pretty darn neutral. I ordered the 60's after having heard the 20's for a few demo's, liking the Focus 380's for years, and a quick demo on the Contour 30's.

So, I was concerned. I liked a lot of what I heard as I chronicled here, the potential was there. But I had some concerns.

Amp wise, I have a solid amp, but nothing special. It's a bit warm so I started thinking amp change ASAP. (I'm due for one). I'm still amp shopping now, probably just because I want to...

But I said I'll futz around with the room first and speaker positioning, along with really breaking them in.

Well - DAMN - what a difference. I took down my GIK 242 panels from behind the speakers, that opened things up a bit. Then I took my GIK Tri-Trap's from the rear of my room and put them in the front corners. - This resulted in a pretty big change. Things opened up a lot more and the bass tightened up while still giving plenty of thump. All the while I was continuing to pound them pretty hard. 2-3 hours at a time of 85-90 db's after a week of low to moderate listening.

I then made sure to play with speaker position. Tried a few small changes along with toeing them in more. Front of speakers are 35 (inside edge) and 38 inches (outside edge) off my rear wall respectively Center of each speaker is 30 inches in from each side wall. 92 inches apart tweeter to tweeter and about 96 inches to my head. My seated position is about 35% off my back wall. (38% is a good place to start for optimal response). Made sure my 1st and 2nd reflection panels were dialed in correctly.

Well, I'm not sure if it was the break-in or the positioning and panel movement, but damn, these are fine speakers. The low end was always good, had no concerns there. But the midrange and highs are really opened up now. Natural, big sounding, and in no way dark. Never harsh, but I don't know now if I need to go find some crazy hyper clinical and detailed amp.

These are really, really good speakers. My biggest take away for anyone considering them - make sure you demo a pair that has been broken in (and I was a skeptic, always felt 2-3 hours should do it). I did feel they sounded a bit congested at first also. As for room size, if you play with the port plugs and/or have treatments in your room (Bass traps) I think they would be fine in any room at least 10-11 ft wide by 13-14 deep. I would highly suggest in a smaller room like that, bass traps in the corners and port plugs will be your friend.

My plan is to put bass traps from GIK back in the rear corners, but I will try them with the membrane to not affect the mids and highs. I also plan on seeing what the affects are of stacking them on the fronts. Might try a little diffusion in the rear of the room as I changed my rears to Contour SR's and I'm getting some flutter echo from the rears now (I had bi-polars up).

Damn fine speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2108697  
BigAl87, Matrixman18 and yonson like this.

Last edited by green giant; Yesterday at 10:32 AM.

post #34564 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Quote:
Congrats John. A little different from what you're used to. Any initial out of the box impressions yet?
Sound is a little different but so far I like it. Quick impression is tight bass, smooth highs. They will play plenty loud enough for me. I haven't really cranked them up yet either. Plenty of bass for music. These are big speakers. So far I'm liking what I hear.
post #34565 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
So... I've had the Contour 60's just over 2 weeks now.

The past 3-4 days I've finally really opened them up for extended periods. I've spent a fair amount of time working on adjusting room treatments, speaker location and general tweaking.

My room is 13x17x9. So, not huge, not tiny.

I'll be honest, when I first got them I liked them and a lot of what they could do, but had some small concerns. The biggest of which was that I thought at times they sounded congested and a little dark. The midrange was a little recessed, highs didn't quite snap off. To this point in my life I've never been a huge believer in break-in. (I've also never owned Dyn's). I was a bit confused and perplexed as I've always felt dyn's were pretty darn neutral. I ordered the 60's after having heard the 20's for a few demo's, liking the Focus 380's for years, and a quick demo on the Contour 30's.

So, I was concerned. I liked a lot of what I heard as I chronicled here, the potential was there. But I had some concerns.

Amp wise, I have a solid amp, but nothing special. It's a bit warm so I started thinking amp change ASAP. (I'm due for one). I'm still amp shopping now, probably just because I want to...

But I said I'll futz around with the room first and speaker positioning, along with really breaking them in.

Well - DAMN - what a difference. I took down my GIK 242 panels from behind the speakers, that opened things up a bit. Then I took my GIK Tri-Trap's from the rear of my room and put them in the front corners. - This resulted in a pretty big change. Things opened up a lot more and the bass tightened up while still giving plenty of thump. All the while I was continuing to pound them pretty hard. 2-3 hours at a time of 85-90 db's after a week of low to moderate listening.

I then made sure to play with speaker position. Tried a few small changes along with toeing them in more. Front of speakers are 35 (inside edge) and 38 inches (outside edge) off my rear wall respectively Center of each speaker is 30 inches in from each side wall. 92 inches apart tweeter to tweeter and about 96 inches to my head. My seated position is about 35% off my back wall. (38% is a good place to start for optimal response). Made sure my 1st and 2nd reflection panels were dialed in correctly.

Well, I'm not sure if it was the break-in or the positioning and panel movement, but damn, these are fine speakers. The low end was always good, had no concerns there. But the midrange and highs are really opened up now. Natural, big sounding, and in no way dark. Never harsh, but I don't know now if I need to go find some crazy hyper clinical and detailed amp.

These are really, really good speakers. My biggest take away for anyone considering them - make sure you demo a pair that has been broken in (and I was a skeptic, always felt 2-3 hours should do it). I did feel they sounded a bit congested at first also. As for room size, if you play with the port plugs and/or have treatments in your room (Bass traps) I think they would be fine in any room at least 10-11 ft wide by 13-14 deep. I would highly suggest in a smaller room like that, bass traps in the corners and port plugs will be your friend.

My plan is to put bass traps from GIK back in the rear corners, but I will try them with the membrane to not affect the mids and highs. I also plan on seeing what the affects are of stacking them on the fronts. Might try a little diffusion in the rear of the room as I changed my rears to Contour SR's and I'm getting some flutter echo from the rears now (I had bi-polars up).

Damn fine speakers.
Green Giant,

Thanks for the reviews. I have ordered the C60s and C25 in the same finish (you have excellent taste). They should be here soon, but they haven't told me when exactly yet. I will be driving mine with a pair of Pass Labs XA60.8s, so I am very anxious to get them, and start the break-in. My room is a lot bigger than yours, about 5300 cubic feet, with a vaulted ceiling, so I may have some challenges getting them setup to best effect. Will post my results when I get them.

David.
green giant likes this.
post #34566 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 540
David: After hearing the Contour 60 in that big room at Axpona, you will be very pleased! Especially with the Pass Labs XA60.8s combo!

To All: Speaking of systems what is the best system you have ever had or have? It can be Dynaudio or another speaker but so far I rank them like this:

1.) Confidence C2's Platinums with Musical Fidelity KW-500 I expected this to change after hearing this Belles Aria Pre/Amp and the soon to arrive Belles MB-200 mono blocs.
2.) Hegel H360 and H160 with Magnepans 1.7i
3.) Confidence C4's (originals) and Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Int. Amp. in my upstairs living room.
4.) Contour S5.4s with Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp.
5.) Emit 20 and Arcam Solo or Belles Aria/Pre/Amp and Chiro Amp.
6.) Contour 3.3 and a Threshold T-800D Amp and T2 Pre/Amp all balanced with a Sony XA7ES CD Player.
7.) Scansonic 2.5 with KW-500 and or Hegel H100
8.) KEF LS50 Bookshelf with Hegel H100
9.) Joseph Audio 7si Bookshelf and Musical Fidelity A3.5 Int. Amp in office
10.) Contour 1.3MKII and Musical Fidelity A3.5

Now there is my top 10 I have owned, that would change on the top 10 that I have heard and some of that was at Axpona and a few other shows. Funny thing is I have had higher end speakers in my system and higher end pre/amps but it came to mating the right equipment with the right speaker in the right type of room etc.. The new stand lower to the floor that Aaron built me sure has helped a ton as the stand is now out of the way and lets that soundstage even open up more with all of the speakers I use.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #34567 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Will that be a home demo,or do they at least have c-30's set up for you?
Not in home, but yes they do have the new Contours in their store, That dealer is the biggest Dynaudio dealer in Montreal and they also have Hegel.

Not sure it will be the 30s but at least the new contours for sure.

The thing is I went trough my dealer to setup an appointment with them as this community is small and you know some dealers are willing to work some others to accommodate good clients needs. I sure will be well treated and I will be served by the owner so I guess I'll have VIP treatment
How did it go?
post #34568 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
David: After hearing the Contour 60 in that big room at Axpona, you will be very pleased! Especially with the Pass Labs XA60.8s combo!

To All: Speaking of systems what is the best system you have ever had or have? It can be Dynaudio or another speaker but so far I rank them like this:

1.) Confidence C2's Platinums with Musical Fidelity KW-500 I expected this to change after hearing this Belles Aria Pre/Amp and the soon to arrive Belles MB-200 mono blocs.
2.) Hegel H360 and H160 with Magnepans 1.7i
3.) Confidence C4's (originals) and Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Int. Amp. in my upstairs living room.
4.) Contour S5.4s with Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp.
5.) Emit 20 and Arcam Solo or Belles Aria/Pre/Amp and Chiro Amp.
6.) Contour 3.3 and a Threshold T-800D Amp and T2 Pre/Amp all balanced with a Sony XA7ES CD Player.
7.) Scansonic 2.5 with KW-500 and or Hegel H100
8.) KEF LS50 Bookshelf with Hegel H100
9.) Joseph Audio 7si Bookshelf and Musical Fidelity A3.5 Int. Amp in office
10.) Contour 1.3MKII and Musical Fidelity A3.5

Now there is my top 10 I have owned, that would change on the top 10 that I have heard and some of that was at Axpona and a few other shows. Funny thing is I have had higher end speakers in my system and higher end pre/amps but it came to mating the right equipment with the right speaker in the right type of room etc.. The new stand lower to the floor that Aaron built me sure has helped a ton as the stand is now out of the way and lets that soundstage even open up more with all of the speakers I use.
You got a new stand? You had another from him right? What did you do with it?
post #34569 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
How did it go?
Really well it is done deal should have the combo in a week or 2 and you I guess the 20s will be a keeper?

What are you driving them with now?

Wait till you hear them with the 250DR and 272 Are those broken in yet or brand new out of the box?

For my part will think of PS upgrade later as right now honestly I was floored at how dynamic and great that combo paired with 30s and 340s.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #34570 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wait till you hear them with the 250DR and 272 Are those broken in yet or brand new out of the box?
Nevermind John I just could not find anything in this thread where you shared with us pics of the new Naim gear but I know they are in the house already

Ho ya like 250 with 272 so far?

So I guess the 20s are not broken in yet but when they are you'll son realise the combo with your Naim will sound heavenly.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

post #34571 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf11 View Post
Green Giant,

Thanks for the reviews. I have ordered the C60s and C25 in the same finish (you have excellent taste). They should be here soon, but they haven't told me when exactly yet. I will be driving mine with a pair of Pass Labs XA60.8s, so I am very anxious to get them, and start the break-in. My room is a lot bigger than yours, about 5300 cubic feet, with a vaulted ceiling, so I may have some challenges getting them setup to best effect. Will post my results when I get them.

David.
I've always wanted to try pass labs.

I had the chance to hear the 100.8's at a dealer along with the Bel Canto 600M and some 30k per pair levinson Mono's. (on a few speakers, we didn't really DB match).

The pass definitely had the most top end air and sparkle. I will say that the Bel Canto 600m really impressed me, it had incredible bass control and was the best of the bunch in that regard (and at that price impressive). Through the mids and highs I thought the Bel was neutral, but just a shade less detailed than the Pass.

The Levinsons were a good all around amp, but I didn't hear anything special.

The Bel Canto's were really impressive for the price, first time I heard a class D I liked.

The pass definitely were the best of the bunch on mids and highs. Pricey though!

Take the time to break in the Dyn's and position them well. Congrats!
post #34572 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Nevermind John I just could not find anything in this thread where you shared with us pics of the new Naim gear but I know they are in the house already

Ho ya like 250 with 272 so far?

So I guess the 20s are not broken in yet but when they are you'll son realise the combo with your Naim will sound heavenly.
Congrats!

It's all broken in except the XPS DR and the Powerline that's on it. Both of those were new. Other gear is used. The C20 were, according to seller, used as surrounds for 4 months. He decided that was way too much for surround duty and sold them off. They look brand new to me and I assume they are broken in. It's all sounding very nice. The C20 is giving me all I need in a speaker right now. Bass is plenty and at higher volumes. C30 coming? Possibly but I'm leaning toward keeping the C20 and add matching center right now. I'm only 10' feet from my speakers in my listening spot so I think I'm good. This is easily the best system I've heard. Only other setup I've heard that is equal or more MSRP is the B&W/McIntosh system I heard. I thought it was lifeless sounding. I don't find this system lifeless at all. Very happy so far. I'm sure you will be as well once you get your new gear setup.
post #34573 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congrats!

It's all broken in except the XPS DR and the Powerline that's on it. Both of those were new. Other gear is used. The C20 were, according to seller, used as surrounds for 4 months. He decided that was way too much for surround duty and sold them off. They look brand new to me and I assume they are broken in. It's all sounding very nice. The C20 is giving me all I need in a speaker right now. Bass is plenty and at higher volumes. C30 coming? Possibly but I'm leaning toward keeping the C20 and add matching center right now. I'm only 10' feet from my speakers in my listening spot so I think I'm good. This is easily the best system I've heard. Only other setup I've heard that is equal or more MSRP is the B&W/McIntosh system I heard. I thought it was lifeless sounding. I don't find this system lifeless at all. Very happy so far. I'm sure you will be as well once you get your new gear setup.
Yeah I passed on Power line and PS upgrade but got myself some Naim Speaker cables as they are best suited with their capacitance on Naim amplifiers and I had a great deal on them. for now as us Canadians get hit but our dollar but it's is all good, I know I will be happy and glad it is by far the best combo you heard or owned as i was indeed in for a treat and was also surprised at how well the 340 do with the same combo.

I cannot believe we could actually say we own Chinese Speakers and French Electronics , Of course I am talking about their mother companies. Naim being owned by Focal now which is why we see them more and more paired together during shows

Last edited by BigAl87; Yesterday at 05:30 PM.
post #34574 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I passed on Power line and PS upgrade but got myself some Naim Speaker cables as they are best suited with their capacitance on Naim amplifiers and I had a great deal on them. for now as us Canadians get hit but our dollar but it's is all good, I know I will be happy and glad it is by far the best combo you heard or owned as i was indeed in for a treat and was also surprised at how well the 340 do with the same combo.

I cannot believe we could actually say we own Chinese Speakers and French Electronics , Of course I am talking about their mother companies. Naim being owned by Focal now which is why we see them more and more paired together during shows
Used Powerline pops up often enough to get them that way. With patience you'll have 2 in no time. That's how I bought mine.
post #34575 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Used Powerline pops up often enough to get them that way. With patience you'll have 2 in no time. That's how I bought mine.
Yup I know they come around often I see them so this is why I am not worried but I went for the NACA 5 as well as you did for the speakers

post #34576 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
It can't be that great if you already had them up for sale when you posted this.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...o-contour-c20/

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #34577 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
It can't be that great if you already had them up for sale when you posted this.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...o-contour-c20/
Actually it can. I have an offer to buy new C20, Stand 6 and center but these need to go first. Thanks for posting the link.
These were purchased at a price that afforded me the luxury of a home demo. If I didn't like I could sell and move on or if I did like I could sell and move up or add to it is the case with my new deal.

Last edited by Spurrier Sucks; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.
post #34578 of 34580 Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually it can. I have an offer to buy new C20, Stand 6 and center but these need to go first. Thanks for posting the link.
These were purchased at a price that afforded me the luxury of a home demo. If I didn't like I could sell and move on or if I did like I could sell and move up or add to it is the case with my new deal.
Damn you John I know you want those 30s in white

post #34579 of 34580 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
You got a new stand? You had another from him right? What did you do with it?
Well the first one was a prototype! So technically the it's relatively new! Well a few parts that is!

WTF on the Contours 20, arrive and out the door already!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #34580 of 34580 Unread Today, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
test

test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore