Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4442Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34951 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 2,001
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Never heard anything sound bright with Octave gear, now with Sim, that is a different story. At Axpona this year for the first time the Contour 20's sounded great with the Sim gear, previous years at Axpona with the C1's not so much. Frankly that's where the Raidho shine, as being more of a Nearfield speaker, they still had one of the better sounding rooms at the show, which is easier to do in a hotel room that's for sure.. But Lars knows how to setup a room along with Tyler and was evident this year as well.
C60's They did sound good.
Garman and green giant like this.
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34952 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 155
do any of y'all know where to get these tweeter protection things online? I am going to set up my "old" stereo in our spare bedroom since I have upgraded everything in the last 2 years and kept every thing. The speakers will be my old contour 1.8IIs. I have 3 small kids so I need some protection for the tweeters.

I guess I havent shown yall the getto tweeter protection screens I fabricobled for my c4s. I'll snap a pic later so y'all can make fun of me.



aschen is offline  
post #34953 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
do any of y'all know where to get these tweeter protection things online? I am going to set up my "old" stereo in our spare bedroom since I have upgraded everything in the last 2 years and kept every thing. The speakers will be my old contour 1.8IIs. I have 3 small kids so I need some protection for the tweeters.

I guess I havent shown yall the getto tweeter protection screens I fabricobled for my c4s. I'll snap a pic later so y'all can make fun of me.



I got them for my 260s from Mike M at Dynaudio NA. I just e-mailed him and that was it. Great service.

IMO Dynaudio should include them with purchase. Can't cost nearly anything to make.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Schiit Modi2 Multibit (Black) | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)
GTaudiophile is offline  
 
post #34954 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wonder if they have any meaningful effect on dispersion.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
post #34955 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I wonder if they have any meaningful effect on dispersion.
No effect on sound.
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34956 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I wonder if they have any meaningful effect on dispersion.
Doubtful, they come pre-installed on the BMIII's, LYD etc...
GTaudiophile likes this.
yonson is offline  
post #34957 of 34979 Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Here's a closer look at mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170523_214103_730.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2152538

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Schiit Modi2 Multibit (Black) | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34958 of 34979 Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2,576
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Garman, Bluvette, BigAl87 and 3 others like this.

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Emit M20 + Stand 3x | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
drewTT is offline  
post #34959 of 34979 Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Very nice Drew!
yonson is offline  
post #34960 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Here's a closer look at mine.

Attachment 2152538
GT: I just noticed your HK Receiver, do you still have it and or use it? I have the exact same one at our Lake House but I am replacing it with a Zone Amplifier and some Sonos/Dac instead. Going to give this receiver a go in my office, with my Emit 20's. Still debating getting a Special 40's.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Garman is offline  
post #34961 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
GT: I just noticed your HK Receiver, do you still have it and or use it? I have the exact same one at our Lake House but I am replacing it with a Zone Amplifier and some Sonos/Dac instead. Going to give this receiver a go in my office, with my Emit 20's. Still debating getting a Special 40's.
Yep, I didn't sell it. It's worth more to me than its current used market price. Besides, I have read that subsequent HK models aren't as nice. That said, I have no idea what I will do with it! I would be curious how it drives the M20s. My guess you would want something more for S40. Dyns love their power!

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Schiit Modi2 Multibit (Black) | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34962 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Is it just me or does it look like these stands and speakers are tilted up a bit?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Schiit Modi2 Multibit (Black) | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #34963 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Yep, I didn't sell it. It's worth more to me than its current used market price. Besides, I have read that subsequent HK models aren't as nice. That said, I have no idea what I will do with it! I would be curious how it drives the M20s. My guess you would want something more for S40. Dyns love their power!
GT: If I get a pair of the S40 they will be in my Listening/Home Theater room and be used with my Belles Gear, so they are in good hands at 400wpc into 4ohms of clean power! My main system stays pretty constant once I make my decision on a speaker and or equipment. It might seem like I switch gear a lot but I have 4 systems here and 2 up at my Lake House. The other systems are not expensive and usually nice used gear, Arcam Soloist running my office, HK 3490 running my zones at my Lake House with a Denon in the basement doing HT duties. I think the M20 are fine with just about anything and the HK3490 is one of the better Stereo Receivers HK has put out in some time.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Garman is offline  
post #34964 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2,576
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Is it just me or does it look like these stands and speakers are tilted up a bit?
They tilt up very slightly yes. They are the Dyn 3x so I assume that's how they designed it. That picture angle makes it seem like everything is leaning left as well, oh well...lol.

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Emit M20 + Stand 3x | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
drewTT is offline  
post #34965 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
GT: If I get a pair of the S40 they will be in my Listening/Home Theater room and be used with my Belles Gear, so they are in good hands at 400wpc into 4ohms of clean power! My main system stays pretty constant once I make my decision on a speaker and or equipment. It might seem like I switch gear a lot but I have 4 systems here and 2 up at my Lake House. The other systems are not expensive and usually nice used gear, Arcam Soloist running my office, HK 3490 running my zones at my Lake House with a Denon in the basement doing HT duties. I think the M20 are fine with just about anything and the HK3490 is one of the better Stereo Receivers HK has put out in some time.
Four systems...holy crap!,I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I am moving from my current house to an apartment for the foreseeable future,so my two systems will now become one.The good news is,since I am a loyal long term customer to the same dealer,he has found a buyer for my Taksim Reference 3a's,and I am getting exactly what I paid for them last year.He also agreed to do a straight up swap of my Naim Nap 250dr,for the Naim xpsdr that I demo'd a few weeks back.So I will be now running the 272/xpsdr into my XD 600's,which is a killer combo,best I have ever heard actually...but I have to lay off the volume at night,again,luckily I work straight nights,so most of my listening is during the day.
One thing for sure,I will be selling my two JL Fathom 112's,I really can not use those in an apartment,anyone interested,PM me,I doubt they even have 50 hours on them.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34966 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I heard the Dynaudio Excite speakers today. Though a very nice small form factor speaker, the sonics seem too far apart from my EW speakers for me to feel comfortable using them in a height/Atmos application. Perhaps the Anthem 720 receiver was not a good match with these speakers? They sounded thin and the Isotec tweeter, though having glimpses of the Esotar's greatness, really was a bit flat. The new in-ceiling speakers, I presume will not match my EW speakers even more so.

I know many will say they are just ambiance speakers, but everything makes a difference at this level.

I did hear the Evidence today as well. They Sounded great. Unfortunately the upper tier Dyns I would be interested in do not have a workable form factor for elevation speakers.

Last edited by G-Rex; Yesterday at 05:23 PM.
G-Rex is offline  
post #34967 of 34979 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I heard the Dynaudio Excite speakers today. Though a very nice small form factor speaker, the sonics seem too far apart from my EW speakers for me to feel comfortable using them in a height/Atmos application. Perhaps the Anthem 720 receiver was not a good match with these speakers? They sounded thin and the Isotec tweeter, though having glimpses of the Esotar's greatness, really was a bit flat. The new in-ceiling speakers, I presume will not match my EW speakers even more so.

I know many will say they are just ambiance speakers, but everything makes a difference at this level.

I did hear the Evidence today as well. They Sounded great. Unfortunately the upper tier Dyns I would be interested in do not have a workable form factor for elevation speakers.
Placement/positioning is everything!
G-Rex likes this.
Borderdog is online now  
post #34968 of 34979 Old Today, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I have posted this in my processor thread, but would be welcome to your suggestions and advice relative to what is the better option. Note that my amps for the Atmos speakers will be 200 watt per channel McIntosh amps. Perhaps the Dyns will open up better, than it did with the Anthem receiver I demoed them on?

I am finally gearing up for an Atmos upgrade. I have been patiently waiting for the right speakers to come out. I have it down to 2 choices: match my Egglestonworks speakers perfectly, and have 4 custom speakers made (2 on ceiling 2 on wall Katherine speakers) which include the Esotar tweeters (bigger $).

Or go with the less costly option, 5 Dynaudio Atmos speakers (3 in-ceiling and 2 on wall, which include 1 VOG). The Esotar is made by Dynaudio, but the cheaper Dynaudio speakers have a variant to the tweeter called the Esotec, which is good but not great like the Esotar.
The Dyn setup is less visually invasive than the EW speakers, but they will be custom painted to blend better with my multicolored painted ceiling.

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2...ichannels.html

https://www.dynaudio.com/custom/studio-series/s4-c80

Both have excellent dispersion patterns, but the Katherine will have a much larger and more robust/full sound field. The Dyn has the ideal Atmos concentric/coaxial design, which has it's advantages, but it's simply outclassed by the EW on wall/ on ceiling, which should be the case considering that they are at two very different price points.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by G-Rex; Today at 04:33 AM.
G-Rex is offline  
post #34969 of 34979 Old Today, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
GT: 2 houses increase that number! LOL I have a Martin Logan system up North a very inexpensive one for my HT, a tad too bright for me but we don't use it much, the big thing for me is the Whole House Audio system which I am re-doing and bringing the HK3490 back home and will use it with my computer based system and use the low profile Teac DSD AI-302DA as a back up in my main room and then sell off a few items. I still have a kick (|) Acurus RL-11 pre/amp that I need to let go, along with some other gear, wife says I am a Audio Hoarder! LOL Usually I find stuff at good deals and than fix and clean them up and slap it on Audiogon or Ebay and make extra money to feed this hobby, especially with the changes at my company lately!


G-Rex: I was into the whole HT setup and I have a dedicated room I built for it, but the whole Atoms thing is your typical over blown drawn out "Oh look I need more speakers and a update receiver because they are on their 8th rendition of HDMI"! <<< Rant over! Frankly your better going the Esotar route only if your doing boat loads of Muliti-Channel Music listening but if your doing mostly movies your better going the Esotec route.. All depends, 3 front Speakers using the Esotar2 is what I have along with rear and ceiling speakers using Esotec.. I use Contour SRs for rears and C2 Platinums and SCX Center which has the matching Esotar2, I will be adding more speakers when my room gets redone and the new Dynaudio in-walls will most likely be it.


Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; Today at 07:47 AM.
Garman is offline  
post #34970 of 34979 Old Today, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Thank you for the response German. I am definitely not of the "look I have more speakers crowd". In fact I have often debated on not doing an Atmos upgrade at all since my speakers sound so expansive. My current processor already does Atmos and I already have most of the extra amps needed...hence my temptation.

My ceiling is tall with lots of air up there, so there is a bit of a dead zone, which could improve with elevation speakers. I am curious how much so. I try to do things once and do it right for the long term. If the in ceilings pull off Atmos sufficiently, that would be my first choice, from an aesthetic and $ standpoint, which is why I welcome yours and others feedback.

From your post it appears the Isotec's hold their own with the Esotar 2s, at least to the point where they sound similar enough as to not make sound transitions/ambiance effects distracting. What amps are you running in your theater?

I do wonder if the Isotec tweeters/Excite speakers will open up a bit under better amplification? Perhaps Otto can shed some light on this.

Last edited by G-Rex; Today at 08:25 AM.
G-Rex is offline  
post #34971 of 34979 Old Today, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
...it appears the Isotec's hold their own with the Esotar 2s, at least to the point where they sound similar enough as to not make sound transitions/ambiance effects distracting.
I'm a skeptic when it comes to spending lots of money for surround channels. My thoughts might differ if critical dialogue occurred in the ceiling speakers, but I doubt that they'll mix anything besides sound effects or ambient sound in those channels.
Borderdog likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #34972 of 34979 Old Today, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thank you for the response German. I am definitely not of the "look I have more speakers crowd". In fact I have often debated on not doing an Atmos upgrade at all since my speakers sound so expansive. My current processor already does Atmos and I already have most of the extra amps needed...hence my temptation.

My ceiling is tall with lots of air up there, so there is a bit of a dead zone, which could improve with elevation speakers. I am curious how much so. I try to do things once and do it right for the long term. If the in ceilings pull off Atmos sufficiently, that would be my first choice, from an aesthetic and $ standpoint, which is why I welcome yours and others feedback.

From your post it appears the Isotec's hold their own with the Esotar 2s, at least to the point where they sound similar enough as to not make sound transitions/ambiance effects distracting. What amps are you running in your theater?

I do wonder if the Isotec tweeters/Excite speakers will open up a bit under better amplification? Perhaps Otto can shed some light on this.
How high are your ceilings?
Borderdog is online now  
post #34973 of 34979 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The room is 25' x 25'. The ceilings is cathedral with 3 intersecting angles. Height in the back of the room is as low as 8' and rises to 15' near the front screen wall.

There is a large chair riser in the middle of the room that is 15" high.
G-Rex is offline  
post #34974 of 34979 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thank you for the response German. I am definitely not of the "look I have more speakers crowd". In fact I have often debated on not doing an Atmos upgrade at all since my speakers sound so expansive. My current processor already does Atmos and I already have most of the extra amps needed...hence my temptation.

My ceiling is tall with lots of air up there, so there is a bit of a dead zone, which could improve with elevation speakers. I am curious how much so. I try to do things once and do it right for the long term. If the in ceilings pull off Atmos sufficiently, that would be my first choice, from an aesthetic and $ standpoint, which is why I welcome yours and others feedback.

From your post it appears the Isotec's hold their own with the Esotar 2s, at least to the point where they sound similar enough as to not make sound transitions/ambiance effects distracting. What amps are you running in your theater?

I do wonder if the Isotec tweeters/Excite speakers will open up a bit under better amplification? Perhaps Otto can shed some light on this.
G-Rex,

I went the mega priced pre/pro and Amp combo's for years, but got sick and tired of the upgrades and the cost involved.. So I dove back into music and have a separate system for that in my HT room along with a Receiver that I upgrade every 5-6 years, occasionally I might through on an Amp for the front 2 or 3, but that's it. Now I have a 2 channel setup just below my 100" screen that I use with a Sony FP, and the other gear is in a rack that is built into a closet.. The Esotec definitely can hold it's own in many respects, but the Esotar2 shines on vocals hence the front 3 to me should always blend better, rear channels or effect channels who cars, in most cases too much info being fed to them to tell the difference in tweeters or Amps that are feeding them! My Living room upstairs is very big, with High ceilings that is where my C4 I had shined as the DDC or Dynaudio Directivity Control really comes into play in your situation, but you stated you don't have Dyns up front.
G-Rex likes this.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way! New Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Garman is offline  
post #34975 of 34979 Old Today, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
darcman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just saw these on Agon...probably a pretty good deal

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...FUVafgod8uEDIw

Last edited by darcman; Today at 06:21 PM.
darcman is offline  
post #34976 of 34979 Old Today, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Home theater

I have the IP-17's for my rear surround speakers. They are set-up far right and far left according to surround sound specs. Though they are in-walls, I mounted them in the ceiling.

One day I had to do work in the front of my room, so I had to move my main speakers out of the way. I like to listen to music while I work, so I hooked up my main amp (at the time), preamp and source to the IP17's. I was blown away by the sound I was getting from those little in-wall/in-ceiling speakers.

All I know is from that one day experimenting with those IP's, hooked up with superior power and source, they sounded incredible. Even though they were spaced for rear surrounds, they sounded incredible.

Just my 2 cents,

Borderdog (Aaron)
G-Rex likes this.
Borderdog is online now  
post #34977 of 34979 Old Today, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
The room is 25' x 25'. The ceilings is cathedral with 3 intersecting angles. Height in the back of the room is as low as 8' and rises to 15' near the front screen wall.

There is a large chair riser in the middle of the room that is 15" high.
You have your work cut out for you.

I did a lot of research into Atmos. I laid out my whole room , worked with ceiling angles,etc.etc. Then I checked out the availability of source material. Lionsgate and some of the other production companies don't allow Redbox or Netflix to rent their higher end Atmos masterings. They basically force you to purchase "Atmos" movies.

I don't purchase movies. They don't have the emotional impact of music. Why purchase a movie you're going watch once or twice? Now music is different. Music is timeless.

Other than "The Wizard of Oz" or "Cassablanca", I've never watched any movie more than two times; so why would I purchase a movie just to have Atmos. Atmos soundtracks are really limited on the rental market. This is why I abandoned my Atmos project.

Aaron, (Still the secondary Borderdog)
Borderdog is online now  
post #34978 of 34979 Old Today, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
You have your work cut out for you.

I did a lot of research into Atmos. I laid out my whole room , worked with ceiling angles,etc.etc. Then I checked out the availability of source material. Lionsgate and some of the other production companies don't allow Redbox or Netflix to rent their higher end Atmos masterings. They basically force you to purchase "Atmos" movies.

I don't purchase movies. They don't have the emotional impact of music. Why purchase a movie you're going watch once or twice? Now music is different. Music is timeless.

Other than "The Wizard of Oz" or "Cassablanca", I've never watched any movie more than two times; so why would I purchase a movie just to have Atmos. Atmos soundtracks are really limited on the rental market. This is why I abandoned my Atmos project.

Aaron, (Still the secondary Borderdog)
I agree Borderdog,max out your 2 channel gear...much more long term enjoyment.I have a kick ass home theatre,that rarely gets used,but the 2 channel rig plays every day for many hours.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #34979 of 34979 Old Today, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I agree Borderdog,max out your 2 channel gear...much more long term enjoyment.I have a kick ass home theatre,that rarely gets used,but the 2 channel rig plays every day for many hours.
I did max out my two channel gear, because the two main speakers in the theater are EW Andra 2s, which can be used for music.
G-Rex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off