Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4447Likes

post #34981 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
I have the IP-17's for my rear surround speakers. They are set-up far right and far left according to surround sound specs. Though they are in-walls, I mounted them in the ceiling.

One day I had to do work in the front of my room, so I had to move my main speakers out of the way. I like to listen to music while I work, so I hooked up my main amp (at the time), preamp and source to the IP17's. I was blown away by the sound I was getting from those little in-wall/in-ceiling speakers.

All I know is from that one day experimenting with those IP's, hooked up with superior power and source, they sounded incredible. Even though they were spaced for rear surrounds, they sounded incredible.

Just my 2 cents,

Borderdog (Aaron)

That is the feedback I was hoping for. Hopefully I can re-audition the Dyns with more robust amplification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34982 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Good to see you back. Hope all is well
I'm back as in once a year or so, popped back in for the Special Forty hehe
post #34983 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
I'm back as in once a year or so, popped back in for the Special Forty hehe

Hey Dynero,

I was thinking of you the other day. Wondering what the hell happened to Dynero? And then you popped up in the forum. Subliminal message

We were a pretty good group.

Do you remember Puma Cat? He called me yesterday. We had a really nice conversation.
His system is pretty much what it was a few years ago. The only upgrade he's done is putting new Esotar Tweets in his Contour 3.4s.

Stephan has shifted his focus more to his photography. I've seen his work and he's one hell of a photographer.

Good to hear from you!

Aaron

post #34984 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
Heard Contour 20s this week.

Very transparent. It did not leave me "wow amazing", rather - "ok, that's how it sounded in 1979 live performance club".

I really liked that it did have big sound for "bookshelves", whereas instruments felt properly sized. However, what did unsettle me was the bass, it seemed like it did not have a good kick compared to my Focus 160. The amp and source were NAIM, and I listen via Arcam at home, so not sure if its due to room accoustics (which were book-perfect) or the amp.

Regards,
If I were to guess, you were hearing the room with the bass. I found the contour 20 to have a tremendous amount of bass for a bookshelf.
post #34985 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
Heard Contour 20s this week.

Very transparent. It did not leave me "wow amazing", rather - "ok, that's how it sounded in 1979 live performance club".

I really liked that it did have big sound for "bookshelves", whereas instruments felt properly sized. However, what did unsettle me was the bass, it seemed like it did not have a good kick compared to my Focus 160. The amp and source were NAIM, and I listen via Arcam at home, so not sure if its due to room accoustics (which were book-perfect) or the amp.

Regards,
If I were to guess, you were hearing the room with the bass. I found the contour 20 to have a tremendous amount of bass for a bookshelf.
I agree.
post #34986 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RIP Gregg Allman
post #34987 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not to criticize, but please stop calling certain models within the Dyn range bookshelf speakers.

A bookshelf is typically 11.25" inches deep. I have had the Special 25's, C1's, and the Focus 160's in my room at the same time. They are all too deep to place in a bookshelf. Also, they are rear-ported, which makes them inappropriate for a "bookshelf" install.

Call them monitors or stand-mounts, which they truly are.
Rant over.
post #34988 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
RIP Gregg Allman
Greg Allman passed away?

I have not looked at the news today.

Just looked at the news. Greg Allman passed away at 69.

Last year was David Bowie at 69.

Last year , Glenn Frey of the Eagles at 67.

Last edited by Borderdog; Yesterday at 01:33 PM.
post #34989 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Allman Brothers

I'm going to go listen to some Allman Brothers.
post #34990 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Not to criticize, but please stop calling certain models within the Dyn range bookshelf speakers.

A bookshelf is typically 11.25" inches deep. I have had the Special 25's, C1's, and the Focus 160's in my room at the same time. They are all too deep to place in a bookshelf. Also, they are rear-ported, which makes them inappropriate for a "bookshelf" install.

Rant over.
I agree they aren't really bookshelf speakers by application. However, you can't fault people for labeling them as such considering the fact that Dynaudio themselves have them listed in the "bookshelf" category on their website.
post #34991 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
RIP Gregg Allman
Greg Allman passed away?

I have not looked at the news today.

Just looked at the news. Greg Allman passed away at 69.

Last year was David Bowie at 69.

Last year , Glenn Frey of the Eagles at 67.
Music has had a rough stretch the last couple of years. Seems like more than normal to me.
post #34992 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Rant over.
Just curious but since you have 2 "stand mounts" do you prefer those to floor standers or is it your room? If you prefer them why? Again just curious.
post #34993 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@BigAl where's the Naim?
post #34994 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just curious but since you have 2 "stand mounts" do you prefer those to floor standers or is it your room? If you prefer them why? Again ju
st curious.
That's a really good intelligent question. Complicated though.

Stand-mount speakers tend to image better, they also can throw a larger soundstage. Also, I think a good stand-mount is more accurate. But, most stand mounts have a problem with bass. Other than the Special 25.

I have a very understanding wife, so I was able to set up a dedicated listening room. I don't like posting pics of my room, so if you're interested I can PM you a link. My room is 15.5'W X 19.5'DX 9' H.

A good room changes the whole ballgame, as long as Steve Spurrier is not involved.
I've never talked about all the speakers I've had through my room.
The one floor-stand speaker I would consider for long term is the Confidence C2. I love that speaker. I believe the C4's would over-power my room.

The new Contour 20 and the Special 40 sound intriguing, especially the Contour 20. But I'll stick with my s25's.
post #34995 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious but since you have 2 "stand mounts" do you prefer those to floor standers or is it your room? If you prefer them why? Again ju
st curious.
That's a really good intelligent question. Complicated though.

Stand-mount speakers tend to image better, they also can throw a larger soundstage. Also, I think a good stand-mount is more accurate. But, most stand mounts have a problem with bass. Other than the Special 25.

I have a very understanding wife, so I was able to set up a dedicated listening room. I don't like posting pics of my room, so if you're interested I can PM you a link. My room is 15.5'W X 19.5'DX 9' H.

A good room changes the whole ballgame, as long as Steve Spurrier is not involved.
I've never talked about all the speakers I've had through my room.
The one floor-stand speaker I would consider for long term is the Confidence C2. I love that speaker. I believe the C4's would over-power my room.

The new Contour 20 and the Special 40 sound intriguing, especially the Contour 20. But I'll stick with my s25's.
I think I'm going with you in the stand mounts. Not sure I've heard enough speakers to say for sure that's true but I'm super happy with my C20. You've heard C20 and S40? If so how does the bass compare between the 2? I'm considering S40 and finding out for myself but if you care to elaborate then it may save me a few coins.

I wouldn't trust a room the Ol Ball Coach set up.
post #34996 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I'm going with you in the stand mounts. Not sure I've heard enough speakers to say for sure that's true but I'm super happy with my C20. You've heard C20 and S40? If so how does the bass compare between the 2? I'm considering S40 and finding out for myself but if you care to elaborate then it may save me a few coins.

I've not heard the S40. Looking at the specs and the price point, it seems to be a replacement for the Focus160.

I would stay with the Contour20. It's going to have more balls. It's the only stand-mount Dyn has come out with in years that comes close to the S25.
Spurrier Sucks likes this.
post #34997 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I've not heard the S40. Looking at the specs and the price point, it seems to be a replacement for the Focus160.

I would stay with the Contour20. It's going to have more balls. It's the only stand-mount Dyn has come out with in years that comes close to the S25.
:thumbsup:
post #34998 of 34999 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Rant over.
So great.

That said...

1. They will fit on a bookshelf, whereas the 30s and 60s won't.

2. If one clicks on bookshelf speakers on Dynaudios website, the 20s, C1, and special 40s, can all be found there.

Regardless, a heck of a speaker.
post #34999 of 34999 Old Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 361
How close can the Excite center 24/28 be (with its rear port) from the theater front wall without causing ill effects? If I go with 2 of them for front height Atmos above the screen, it will be a matter of inches from the wall. The will be mounted high up above the screen angled down towards the listener and cut off at 80hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page