Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4646Likes
post #35401 of 35413 Unread Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
no quarter: I would be interesting to see what's really inside both those boxes.. I have repaired a ton of stuff over the years, one you get down to the circuit board I am lost, now in the most cases replacing them is pretty easy, but some thing tells me the power coming to your house is perfectly fine.. Now if your living in a house that's 100+ years old and it doesn't have a electrical make over, go for it! A lot of other boxes will most likely do the same for less, or at least make claims they can.

Garmin, I'm not directing this at you, I'm just using you as an introduction to my post.

A good company will give you the option of the dry version or the wet version.:roll eyes: The dry version being fairy dust and the wet version being snake oil.
I'm just being facetious.

I think PS Audio makes a decent product. In saying that, I wouldn't get too hung up on power conditioning unless you live in a high-populated area with a lot of manufacturing. With a lot of population and manufacturing, you can get a lot of feedback into the grid and power fluctuations; then a good power conditioner will help.

Luckily, I live a rural area that is fed 100% by nuclear. We have no manufacturing where I live.
It doesn't matter what time of the year, whether we're heating or cooling or just have our windows open(spring/fall), I get a constant 123V +/- .1V at my receptacles.

When I remodeled the house, we rewired much of the old part and diverted that old wiring to a new electrical panel that serviced both the old and the new parts of the house.

100% of all residences in the US are 240 Volts coming into the panel. Two legs of 120 Volts each, which are 180º out of phase from each other. I instructed my electrician to make sure all appliances that had a motor or electronics (washing machine, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, etc.) were all on one leg. Just make sure my 3 dedicated circuits to my listening room are on the opposite phase.

I did 3 dedicated 30amp (10 Wire) circuits to my room. Other than isolating those circuits, the only thing I did was install really good receptacles. Grip!(surface area of contact). Electricity depends on good contact.

After the power cord leaves the receptacle (the last 6 feet or so), the only thing that matters is maybe some shielding?, and flexibility.

Cable companies are trying to defy the laws of physics, common sense, & profit margin.
Wow, that must be nice! I have a Panamax M5300-PM that displays the current voltage and amps, and I'm rarely even at 120 let alone above it! Most days it's in the 115 - 117 range but I've seen it as low as 113. Right now is one of the rare times that it's actually at 120, but I'd imagine that's because it's been fairly nice today and the air isn't on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35402 of 35413 Unread Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
I've got contour 60's and ordered up pass labs amp and pre-amp that should arrive late next week.

Pretty sure I'll stick with my Blue Jeans Cables.

I do however have a fair amount of money invested in room treatments.

So which Pass Labs amp/pre-amp model are you getting?
post #35403 of 35413 Unread Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 657
I wasted a bunch of money on a PS Audio Power Plant P3. Good thing I got about $1,000 off it so when I sold it I broke even...
Garman likes this.

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Emit M20 + Stand 3x | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+

post #35404 of 35413 Unread Yesterday, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 568
drewTT: thankfully I got mine dirt cheap, I still have the HT Power Director, only reason I bought it was because of surge protection and it's already paid for itself, hence a few lightning strikes!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way and Belles MB-200's: Contour's 20's/Special 40's or Raidho next...
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #35405 of 35413 Unread Today, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixman18 View Post
so which pass labs amp/pre-amp model are you getting?

xp12

OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #35406 of 35413 Unread Today, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Power Conditioners

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have no use for power conditioning because of the steady non-grunge power I have to my house.
I feel sorry for you guys who live in a high population, high manufacturing area. Your power can be all over the place...lots of grunge.
A good power conditioner will stabilize your power, but that also comes at a cost: loss of dynamics.
It's kind of like "pick your poison".

But then, you can get one of George's power cords and that will fix everything
post #35407 of 35413 Unread Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have no use for power conditioning because of the steady non-grunge power I have to my house.
I feel sorry for you guys who live in a high population, high manufacturing area. Your power can be all over the place...lots of grunge.
A good power conditioner will stabilize your power, but that also comes at a cost: loss of dynamics.
It's kind of like "pick your poison".

Laugh all you want old fart but until you try one you'll never know. Less grunge and no loss of dynamics
post #35408 of 35413 Unread Today, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Laugh all you want old fart but until you try one you'll never know. Less grunge and no loss of dynamics
C'mon George. After the electricity runs a 100' or more via 12 or10 gauge Romex from your main electrical panel to your receptacle; you're going to tell me that the last 6-8' is going to make a difference? Sheesh

Give me some science about how your power cables defy the laws of physics.

If you are referring to power conditioners, that's another topic of discussion.

I don't use inexpensive cables, but they are reasonably priced. I base my cable purchases on the quality of the connectors and flexibility.

And yes, I've had the opportunity to compare many cables.

So, send me some of your incredible power cords and I'll do a test.

Aaron

Last edited by Borderdog; Today at 08:31 AM.
post #35409 of 35413 Unread Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Except for the high manufacturing sort of my place to a "T", the building's over a 100 years old, except for the kitchen the wiring is almost that old with no grounding what so ever, had to improvise running my own grounding scheme for the living room. Not to mention the Toronto Street Car power lines out front....lol
It would be wonderful to have a miracle cure but for the likes of me I'm not sure "how in the Halifax" a specialized power cable could be of any benefit????

Maybe an 80lb Torus Power Conditioner might do the trick...maybe....

The additional power line grunge may in fact add a more analogue flavor to the whole listening experience.....and at least my terrace in the summer tells a different story of big city living...
Garman likes this.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; Today at 08:58 AM.
post #35410 of 35413 Unread Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 568
LOL, that is one big (|) power conditioner! LOL Love the backyard! I could see some outdoor Dynaudio's living back their with you! Maybe Otto can chime in and let us know if they will ever make a pair of outdoor speakers! I would be all over a pair for my lake house, right now I am using PSB which I love, neighbor across the lake says they sound wonderful! LOL

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way and Belles MB-200's: Contour's 20's/Special 40's or Raidho next...
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #35411 of 35413 Unread Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Or get one of these and be totally off the grid when you listen to your system.

http://www.purepoweraps.com
post #35412 of 35413 Unread Today, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
I've got contour 60's and ordered up pass labs amp and pre-amp that should arrive late next week.

Pretty sure I'll stick with my Blue Jeans Cables.

I do however have a fair amount of money invested in room treatments.
Green Giant,

Pass Labs and Contour 60's really are a stellar combination! Simply love mine. Will be great to hear you thoughts on how they sound. I am running mine with XA60.8's and a XP20. More volume than I need.

I splurged and got Kimber Kable TC12 for the amp to speaker runs, 8 awg wire in a cool braid works for me.

David.
post #35413 of 35413 Unread Today, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf11 View Post
Green Giant,

Pass Labs and Contour 60's really are a stellar combination! Simply love mine. Will be great to hear you thoughts on how they sound. I am running mine with XA60.8's and a XP20. More volume than I need.

I splurged and got Kimber Kable TC12 for the amp to speaker runs, 8 awg wire in a cool braid works for me.

David.

I can't wait. I thought about the Class A stuff, but the 250.8 is so well reviewed. Hoping the new XP12 is killer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore