Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4679Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #35431 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
That's from their website. They didn't have a shot with the grilles before and people were asking for that. My pair is still a ways away, in the middle of the Atlantic, at this point...lol
Probably snuggled up beside my pair!

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.Chord Hugo,Special 40's.
no quarter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35432 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hung up

Hey Guys and Gals ( if there are any on of you on this thread),

We all get hung up on our audio BS and seldom does family get mentioned. We bitch about our wives:" turn it down".
But, we don't speak much about it past that. Some of you talk about your children and I applaud that.

I want to mention the greatest parents a man could ever have.
My parents came out to visit us about 10years ago. My Father was intrigued that I had such a sound system. He wasn't questioning my judgement, he was just curious. So I played a few tracks of different music. So he went out to his motorhome and brought back a CD.

It was A CD of Lawrence Welk. I popped it into the CD player and turned it up to required listening levels. He was enthralled. He had never heard Lawrence Welk's orchestra like that before. A vun, and too, and a trea.

Anyways, this past Fathers Day was without a Father; He passed away last year at 89 years old.
Our audio systems really mean crap in the whole scheme of things.

Some old photos:

Circa 1946 with Big Jim the Belgian Draft horse.

The 2nd photo before he was drafted for the Korean War.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Horse.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2207009   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2207057  
Borderdog is online now  
post #35433 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Our audio systems really mean crap in the whole scheme of things.
Thanks for the reminder to focus on the truly important things. It's good to enjoy our hobbies, but there are definitely things that matter more!

amatuerholic is offline  
 
post #35434 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I do remember that,and I thought I read that the magnet was inside the voice coil on the new driver's,Otto said no they are now outside.But if you watch the video for the special 40,with the 3 guys,they clearly say the magnet is inside the voice coil now,unless I am misunderstanding what they are saying,it is all a bit confusing,but as long as they sound good...
New Contour magnets are on the outside while the special forty magnets are in the inside

amatuerholic is offline  
post #35435 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I do remember that,and I thought I read that the magnet was inside the voice coil on the new driver's,Otto said no they are now outside.But if you watch the video for the special 40,with the 3 guys,they clearly say the magnet is inside the voice coil now,unless I am misunderstanding what they are saying,it is all a bit confusing,but as long as they sound good...
The woofers with the 75mm voice coil had the magnet inside the coil, the newer woofer found in the contour has the magnet outside the voice coil.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is online now  
post #35436 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
The woofers with the 75mm voice coil had the magnet inside the coil, the newer woofer found in the contour has the magnet outside the voice coil.
So are they exclusive to the special 40?

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.Chord Hugo,Special 40's.
no quarter is online now  
post #35437 of 35451 Unread 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
So are they exclusive to the special 40?
No all woofers with the large dust cap and 75mm voice coil is built with the magnet inside.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is online now  
post #35438 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 04:31 AM
Member
 
Zantafio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Anyone running the NAD M32? Thinking about upgrading to it. I am sold on the NAD hybrid digital design. The C368 works great with the Emits. Dealer is saying the M32 is a huge upgrade though and would be very nice with the Special 40s.
Just FYI, a friend of mine did compare both the NAD M32 and the Classe Sigma 2200i (On B&W, not Dynaudio).
He finally bought the Classe.
More features and much better sounding did he say.
My 2 cents.
Zantafio is offline  
post #35439 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Hey Guys and Gals ( if there are any on of you on this thread),

We all get hung up on our audio BS and seldom does family get mentioned. ............
Thanks for sharing…my Dad wasn’t so much into the equipment but knew what he liked…always hogged my listening seat when he came to visit.…
But music was always playing in our household (probably where I get my passion from)….Calypso was all the rave in 50s and I still have a lots of fond memories of Harry Belafonte floating around in my head… lol….

Here he is in 1994 as a decorated Canadian War Veteran at the 50th D-Day Anniversary in Normandy.

We do miss them...... God Bless…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50th Aniver..png
Views:	12
Size:	926.9 KB
ID:	2207777  
Garman, Borderdog and Matrixman18 like this.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; Yesterday at 09:38 AM.
rob80b is offline  
post #35440 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantafio View Post
Just FYI, a friend of mine did compare both the NAD M32 and the Classe Sigma 2200i (On B&W, not Dynaudio).
He finally bought the Classe.
More features and much better sounding did he say.
My 2 cents.
Not really relevant here considering the completely different sounding speakers but I would hope it sounds better considering it costs $1,500 more.

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Emit M20 + Stand 3x | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
drewTT is offline  
post #35441 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Thanks for sharing…my Dad wasn’t so much into the equipment but knew what he liked…always hogged my listening seat when he came to visit.…
But music was always playing in our household (probably where I get my passion from)….Calypso was all the rave in 50s and I still have a lots of fond memories of Harry Belafonte floating around in my head… lol….

Here he is in 1994 as a decorated Canadian War Veteran at the 50th D-Day Anniversary in Normandy.

We do miss them...... God Bless…..
Thanks Rob,

My father would never talk about the Korean War.
When I went to my Father's funeral, my biggest surprise was a full honor guard of Korean War vets. At the burial, they did a full military 21 gun salute.
My father would never talk about Korea. I found out later that he was awarded medals of valor from both the US and the Koreans. I think his highest honor was from the Koreans thanking him and awarding him the recognition for his service.

Rob, our parents were of the "greatest generation"!

Even if they liked Harry Bellafonte and Lawrence Welk
yonson likes this.
Borderdog is online now  
post #35442 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Well I have decided to buy back my Naim 250 DR amp,so when my special 40's arrive they will be fed with this: Naim Core>Chord Hugo>analog input on Naim 272/Xps dr>Naim 250 DR>Nac a5> Dyn Special 40's ( gray birch).I will also compare this to the Core (digital out) directly into the 272,using it's onboard DAC.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.Chord Hugo,Special 40's.
no quarter is online now  
post #35443 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Member
 
musicjunkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My father, who died in 2014, is the one who got me in to stereo and jazz. The stereo I grew up with and is still running consists of a Garrard Turntable, Scott Stereo Master tube amp, Seeberg speakers and a Roberts 8-Track and Reel to Reel recorder. I have loved the rig since I was a child.

Now, at 52, I have finally acquired my adult rig. Last year I had the stereo gods grace me with a deal on a brand new NAD M17 preamp and a used pair of Contour S5.4's. I went in one day to purchase the new Emit 20 for my living room and was shown the S5.4. Truly a special day. I have always wanted a pair of Dyns. They replaced a pair of PSB Goldi speaker I had in my theater. For music, I finally have what I was missing with the Golds. Detail, much better soundstage for both music and movies and the imaging. And no more harshness with music. Smooth as silk. Best money I've ever spent on speakers.

I'm proud to be a Dynaudio member. Do I get a special jacket or something? Lol


Dynaudio S5.4, PSB Platinum Center, PSB Bronze for rears
NAD M17 preamp
Enlightened Audio Design Powermaster 1000 Amp
Bluesound Vault 2
Oppo 203
Technics 1200 Turntable
Matrixman18 and yonson like this.
musicjunkee is offline  
post #35444 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Thanks Rob,

My father would never talk about the Korean War.
When I went to my Father's funeral, my biggest surprise was a full honor guard of Korean War vets. At the burial, they did a full military 21 gun salute.
My father would never talk about Korea. I found out later that he was awarded medals of valor from both the US and the Koreans. I think his highest honor was from the Koreans thanking him and awarding him the recognition for his service.

Rob, our parents were of the "greatest generation"!

Even if they liked Harry Bellafonte and Lawrence Welk
My old man is still alive,but told me that he spent the first 6 months of his life in and out of a bomb shelter.He was born June 8th 1942,in England...obviously he would not remember it,but I remember as a child,my Grandmother telling us stories of the "air raids" that were a normal part of life in the midst of World War 2,England.We certainly have an easy life,compared to what our families have endured.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.Chord Hugo,Special 40's.
no quarter is online now  
post #35445 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Newbie
 
Sirmorebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Gents,

Thought about consolidating my setup, going from separate to super integrated. Budget 10 to 15k. Need HT bypass to integrate with existing AVR. What's out there around that budget? I've listed a few below, any experience with them? Your input/thoughts? Btw, currently have 3.4LE. Looking to move further up the food chain some time next year if all goes well.

Vitus
Mcintosh
Pass Labs
Devialet

Last edited by Sirmorebeer; Yesterday at 11:39 PM.
Sirmorebeer is offline  
post #35446 of 35451 Unread Yesterday, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 662
New Devialet Pro maybe?
Sirmorebeer likes this.

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Emit M20 + Stand 3x | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
drewTT is offline  
post #35447 of 35451 Unread Today, 01:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
jlmcr87x is offline  
post #35448 of 35451 Unread Today, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmorebeer View Post
Gents,

Thought about consolidating my setup, going from separate to super integrated. Budget 10 to 15k. Need HT bypass to integrate with existing AVR. What's out there around that budget? I've listed a few below, any experience with them? Your input/thoughts? Btw, currently have 3.4LE. Looking to move further up the food chain some time next year if all goes well.

Vitus
Mcintosh
Pass Labs
Devialet
There are tons of integrated's on the market. It would be hard to recommend one to you without knowing the type of sound you prefer.

If you lean towards Devialet, look for a used or NOS piece. Those amps don't seem to sell anywhere close to retail on the secondary market. If you buy new and decide to sell, plan on losing your #$%.
Sodipop is offline  
post #35449 of 35451 Unread Today, 05:05 AM
Newbie
 
Sirmorebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodipop View Post
There are tons of integrated's on the market. It would be hard to recommend one to you without knowing the type of sound you prefer.

If you lean towards Devialet, look for a used or NOS piece. Those amps don't seem to sell anywhere close to retail on the secondary market. If you buy new and decide to sell, plan on losing your #$%.
Thanks for your input Sodipop. Started my hifi journey with a pair of Morel bookshelf and upgraded to Audience 70. Sold that and currently with a pair of Contour 3.4LE. Have heard the confidence C2. Also came across Harbeth, PMC and the flagship Kef blades don't mind all of them. BMW and Focal is not my liking, I got fatigued ears after 10mins. Too analytical for my liking. I am hoping Dynaudio will have newer Confident models some time next year. I do prefer the neutral to warm sounding Dyns, something I can settled into long term. Currently I am driving my Dyns with local Aussie brand valve pre and 300W AB class power amp. Not a hint of harshness, beautiful warm valve mids and gusty low. But I wish for less boxes and cables, might come back to valve/sold state power with a second system if I ever move house.

Have not had a chance to audition the Devialet integrate. Feature wise they got the lot I suppose, Dac/streaming/App control. But they have polarized view down here in AUS. Also there are no offical 4ohm power rating from Devialet (only 8 and 6) as most of the Dyns are rated in 4ohm. Have you seen or heard any Devialet and Dyns pairing?

The two brands have high regards here in AUS (but super expensive) are Vitus and Gryphon. Will report back once I have chance to audition them. The two models within my budget are Vitus RI100 and Gryphon Diablo in used market.
Sirmorebeer is offline  
post #35450 of 35451 Unread Today, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Not really relevant here considering the completely different sounding speakers but I would hope it sounds better considering it costs $1,500 more.
I heard Classe with B&W and personally was not awestruck by the setup. NAD to me sounded more musical with the 804s then the Classe did. (Dont know what model it was it was several years back.) also heard Rotel and McIntosh that day. The Mac gear powered 802D this was the most insanely boring setup I heard; and everything else was with 804s(Classe and NAD 787 receiver) or CM9s & Studio 100s (Rotel and Anthem). Back then I owned the Excite X16s and Naim Nait 5i, so I had expected to be blown away and really was not. The best thing I heard that day was a pair of PMC DB1i speakers.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
callas01 is online now  
post #35451 of 35451 Unread Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmorebeer View Post
Thanks for your input Sodipop. Started my hifi journey with a pair of Morel bookshelf and upgraded to Audience 70. Sold that and currently with a pair of Contour 3.4LE. Have heard the confidence C2. Also came across Harbeth, PMC and the flagship Kef blades don't mind all of them. BMW and Focal is not my liking, I got fatigued ears after 10mins. Too analytical for my liking. I am hoping Dynaudio will have newer Confident models some time next year. I do prefer the neutral to warm sounding Dyns, something I can settled into long term. Currently I am driving my Dyns with local Aussie brand valve pre and 300W AB class power amp. Not a hint of harshness, beautiful warm valve mids and gusty low. But I wish for less boxes and cables, might come back to valve/sold state power with a second system if I ever move house.

Have not had a chance to audition the Devialet integrate. Feature wise they got the lot I suppose, Dac/streaming/App control. But they have polarized view down here in AUS. Also there are no offical 4ohm power rating from Devialet (only 8 and 6) as most of the Dyns are rated in 4ohm. Have you seen or heard any Devialet and Dyns pairing?

The two brands have high regards here in AUS (but super expensive) are Vitus and Gryphon. Will report back once I have chance to audition them. The two models within my budget are Vitus RI100 and Gryphon Diablo in used market.
You have a large budget, but if you want a streaming unit and integrated amp with a HT Bypass, I'd suggest the Naim Nova $7k USD. I use the Uniti 2 and love it; I use the HT Bypass also.

The T+A R series has an integrated amp with a HT Bypass as well. I personally like T+A but not sure if they'll have that where you are.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD

Last edited by callas01; Today at 07:00 AM.
callas01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off