Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4821Likes

post #35761 of 35780 Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
The writer's thoughts concur with my own, which I wrote about earlier:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2017/0...er-review.html
wersuss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35762 of 35780 Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Hi, thank you for review . Looking at pictures seems like system is at least 3 times more expensive than speakers. How they would sound with amp at price range 1000 - 2000 usd? Anyone tried with Rega Elicit R?
post #35763 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wersuss View Post
Hi, thank you for review . Looking at pictures seems like system is at least 3 times more expensive than speakers. How they would sound with amp at price range 1000 - 2000 usd? Anyone tried with Rega Elicit R?
I will try it with my $500 Denon DAB MCD 38 next week
I think the Rega has a stout heart and good drive, but you should try it for yourself. An amp with a solid current and power supply will make it sing more.
wersuss likes this.

post #35764 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Yes, I'm using HDMI from DVR to TV for Video. I get picture and the sound is only through TV. I tried to use HDMI for audio too from DVR to AVR and plugged it into the CBL/SAT option into my Marantz 6008 so that I could get the sound into my Dyns but it doesn't work at all.
One more question. Can you confirm you were trying to route the audio & video together? The normal way to do this is to connect the DVR's HDMI output to the AVR's CBL/SAT HDMI input, and then from the AVR's HDMI output to the TV's input, so the AVR is performing the source switching and handling the audio, but passing through the video. If you connected it this way and the result was no audio and no video, then I think you either have a setting wrong in the AVR or a HDCP issue.

I'm not familiar with the Marantz 6008, but if it's like my 8801 it will have a setup menu item called "input assign" where you assign inputs to sources. On mine, there are multiple CBL/SAT audio inputs, one is HDMI, another is coax S/PDIF, another is analog. The input assign menu is where you configure it to use the HDMI CBL/SAT input for the CBL/SAT source.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #35765 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry Peter....My bad ....I should have said 2nd up....

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #35766 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No worries mate

Hey who's counting
post #35767 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Quote:
No worries mate

Hey who's counting
I think it was actually 3rd up, as there was a Chinese one published a bit earlier

post #35768 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
3rd?

TheAge's Special 40

Last edited by Sirmorebeer; Yesterday at 07:12 AM.
post #35769 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I will try it with my $500 Denon DAB MCD 38 next week
I think the Rega has a stout heart and good drive, but you should try it for yourself. An amp with a solid current and power supply will make it sing more.
Now that's getting interesting.
I have now one amp with 1000va transformer, amp weighs 16kg.

Last edited by wersuss; Yesterday at 10:49 AM.
post #35770 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I know this have probably been asked a million times, but how to C20 fare against XD200 with not over the top electronics at the C20 (e.g. just a good intergrated amp)?

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer
post #35771 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by emflorence View Post
Thank you all for your answers. The point is that my speakers is white, this was the only one available here.

The problem here is that I think the C4 looks aesthetically better than the Focus xd. I am happy with the sound of it, no complains. Just wondering if it does makes any sense on trading it.

If I only could paint or coat the speakers with new finishing i would be happier. Soundwise i don't miss a thing.

Regards,
Eduardo.
Getting back to your Amp and or Int. Amp question.... I just picked up a Musical Fidelity A5 from a friend who needed some funds quickly this unit sounds very good with Dynaudio and will do 400wpc into a 4ohm load. Very musical, not quite the KW-500 or Nuvista level, but extremely good! I had several over the years, and am torn from keeping it or letting it go...

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... New Belles Aria Pre/Amp on the way and Belles MB-200's: Contour's 20's/Special 40's or Raidho next...
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #35772 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had that too. Superb sound and power. Build quality so so and you do get a transformer hum in some examples..
post #35773 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Borderdog
Hi Aaron,I seem to remember from some old photos of your setup,that you had granite slabs on top of your special 25's.I am wondering what improvements you noticed with those on top.My guess would be tighter bass,but I would rather hear it from you.The reason I ask,now I have moved to a place with hardwood floors,so I don't really need granite slabs under my speakers to keep them stable,I may try a couple of the smaller ones I have on top of my 40's,if they ever arrive.i might also remove the ones under my XD's,see if I hear a difference,but those slabs are way too big to go on top.Also,what do you have between the granite and the top of the speaker,if anything...maybe herbie's dots,or blue tack?

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #35774 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
I know this have probably been asked a million times, but how to C20 fare against XD200 with not over the top electronics at the C20 (e.g. just a good intergrated amp)?

Interesting question, and one I am curious about too. I auditioned the Contour 20, and I have the Focus 160s which were the starting point for the XDs, but I've never had the chance to hear the XDs because my local dealer wasn't interested in getting a demo pair.

I'll bet the C20s go deeper. The specs say 39 Hz for both, but I think the 20 XD has a steep high-pass below that to limit excursion, whereas you'll get some audible output from the C20s down to the low 30s depending on boundary reinforcement. Compared to my F160s, I think the C20 is a little mellower on the top end. I suspect that observation will also be true comparing the 20 XD to C20. However, the top end balance of either speaker can be controlled to some degree by toe-in. The C20s did sound a little bit clearer than my F160s, but dispensing with the passive crossover in the 20 XD may erase that advantage. Likewise, the C20 was more dynamic, but active speakers are usually more dynamic than their passive counterparts, so the XD probably comes closer. One thing for sure is that the C20 will be able to play louder and fill a larger room.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #35775 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Borderdog
Hi Aaron,I seem to remember from some old photos of your setup,that you had granite slabs on top of your special 25's.I am wondering what improvements you noticed with those on top.My guess would be tighter bass,but I would rather hear it from you.The reason I ask,now I have moved to a place with hardwood floors,so I don't really need granite slabs under my speakers to keep them stable,I may try a couple of the smaller ones I have on top of my 40's,if they ever arrive.i might also remove the ones under my XD's,see if I hear a difference,but those slabs are way too big to go on top.Also,what do you have between the granite and the top of the speaker,if anything...maybe herbie's dots,or blue tack?
Hey Tony,

Yes, they are slabs of polished black granite. When you put weight on a structure, whether it be a wall or a structural box, it increases the stiffness of that membrane. It tightened the bass, but also helped the midrange.

I used Herbies "Thin" Fat Dots, the smaller 15/16" dia., as an interface between the granite and the top of the speaker. One at each corner.
I also use Herbies Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders underneath the cones of the stands. They allow me to slide the speakers around without damaging the floor. They also decouple the stands from the floor.
Come to think of it, I use Herbies Square Fat Dots between the speaker and the stand.

I also have my stands filled with a 50/50 mixture of course sand and lead shot. (If you know how to handle lead it is completely safe). I don't know if they do it now, but Dyn used to supply long cylindrical bags for the columns just for the purpose of putting fill in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2122-Smaller.jpg (609.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1965-Smaller.jpg (858.3 KB, 28 views)
post #35776 of 35780 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Hey Tony,

Yes, they are slabs of polished black granite. When you put weight on a structure, whether it be a wall or a structural box, it increases the stiffness of that membrane. It tightened the bass, but also helped the midrange.

I used Herbies "Thin" Fat Dots, the smaller 15/16" dia., as an interface between the granite and the top of the speaker. One at each corner.
I also use Herbies Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders underneath the cones of the stands. They allow me to slide the speakers around without damaging the floor. They also decouple the stands from the floor.
Come to think of it, I use Herbies Square Fat Dots between the speaker and the stand.

I also have my stands filled with a 50/50 mixture of course sand and lead shot. (If you know how to handle lead it is completely safe). I don't know if they do it now, but Dyn used to supply long cylindrical bags for the columns just for the purpose of putting fill in them.
Ok,I am going to give it a try then,I use blue tack between my excite 12's and the stand 3's,so since the 40's are going on those stands,I will use the same.My stands are about 3/4 full of dry sand,I like the idea of the herbie's gliders to fine tune the positioning though.Your slabs appear to be smaller than the 25's,the smallest pair I have,I used for my Iota's,I think they are 12"x12",so might overhang in the width a bit,but if they make a positive difference,I could get them cut to suit,I suppose...first world problems.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #35777 of 35780 Old Today, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... the 40's are going on those stands...
I think you might get a bit of a lollipop look with those speakers on those stands (Focus 160s looked a bit oversized when I saw them on Stand 3s at my local dealer)

Just a heads up for the possibility

post #35778 of 35780 Old Today, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I think you might get a bit of a lollipop look with those speakers on those stands (Focus 160s looked a bit oversized when I saw them on Stand 3s at my local dealer)

I agree with you.

Here are the numbers:
Focus 160- 7.9" X 13.8" X 11.6"
Special 40- 7.8" X 14.2" X 12.1"

The S40 is slightly larger than the 160.

Here is photo of the 160 on a Stand4. (I did have the 160's for awhile)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2400-Smaller.jpg (946.1 KB, 26 views)
Garman likes this.
post #35779 of 35780 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

I know they are a bit big,stand 6 is probably in my future(again),but I have the stand 3's here for my excite 12's.One step at a time,lol,maybe the granite slabs on top might not be a good idea until I upgrade the stands.
amatuerholic likes this.

post #35780 of 35780 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know they are a bit big,stand 6 is probably in my future(again),but I have the stand 3's here for my excite 12's.One step at a time,lol,maybe the granite slabs on top might not be a good idea until I upgrade the stands.
I actually really liked the look of the Stand 3s and wanted a pair for my Focus 140s; unfortunately the size just didn't work out so I ended up buying some Stand 4s from CD. My dad is currently using those with his Harbeth 30.1.s, which have a lollipop thing going on as well, haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page