Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1205 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4993Likes

post #36121 of 36142 Old Today, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
Now regarding cables, its really diminishing returns after approx 10 dollars per meter. Diffetence is so neglible... its impossible to hear. Our senses are very volatile so its a self-delusion to hear a difference most of the time. Imagine if you have 2k dollar cable what that money would do if you put it into the speaker.
Speak for yourself and don't preach to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36122 of 36142 Old Today, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Im just trying to allocate your cashflows more rationally.. for your own sake.
post #36123 of 36142 Old Today, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
Im just trying to allocate your cashflows more rationally.. for your own sake.
Thanks. It is the thought that counts, I guess.

post #36124 of 36142 Old Today, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking for a new LCR set and my local dealer recommended the Emit series to me. Looking at the specs they're listed as 4 ohms which may pose a problem since very few current AV receivers can actually drive 4 ohm speakers well. Reviews of these I've read haven't ever listed them as particularly difficult to drive and since I already have a subwoofer I figure I've got a little wiggle room. Does anyone have experience driving these on a sub-$1000 receiver? My goal is to spend ~2/3 of my budget on speakers and 1/3 on a receiver.

Either way I'll probably go in for a listen next week. They had the Special Forty out in both colors and they looked amazing but they're way out of my price range [and no center].
post #36125 of 36142 Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
I'm looking for a new LCR set and my local dealer recommended the Emit series to me. Looking at the specs they're listed as 4 ohms which may pose a problem since very few current AV receivers can actually drive 4 ohm speakers well. Reviews of these I've read haven't ever listed them as particularly difficult to drive and since I already have a subwoofer I figure I've got a little wiggle room. Does anyone have experience driving these on a sub-$1000 receiver? My goal is to spend ~2/3 of my budget on speakers and 1/3 on a receiver.

Either way I'll probably go in for a listen next week. They had the Special Forty out in both colors and they looked amazing but they're way out of my price range [and no center].
I know it is a radical idea, or perhaps not, but if your speakers are good enough you don't need a center. The fact is that the money saved on not buying the center can help in other, more useful areas.

Good luck driving a pair of Dynaudios with a $1000 AV receiver. I would suggest something more efficient and at least 6 Ohms to work well with your receiver.
post #36126 of 36142 Old Today, 02:01 PM

Whats the AV receiver model?
post #36127 of 36142 Old Today, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternz1 View Post
The fact is that the money saved on not buying the center can help in other, more useful areas.
Like, you know, cables and stuff..

Sorry, had to do this
Peternz1 likes this.
post #36128 of 36142 Old Today, 02:17 PM

The vibe I'm getting here is that these are quite power hungry.

I've considered going 2 channel, at that point I would just probably use active speakers (I've heard Dynaudio's are quite good).

Last edited by qirex; Today at 02:21 PM.
post #36129 of 36142 Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The vibe I'm getting here is that these are quite power hungry.

I've considered going 2 channel, at that point I would just probably use active speakers (I've heard Dynaudio's are quite good).
Very good idea.
post #36130 of 36142 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Any receiver will work,but to get the best sound out of your speakers you need something a bit more than most AVR's can give.Rather than wasting money on an expensive AVR,just make sure the one you get has pre-out's,that way you can add a power amp to it,or integrated that will drive your LR channels better in the future.
Peternz1 likes this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #36131 of 36142 Old Today, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm not so sure about actives if it's Emit + stereo amp vs. Xeo. The Xeos are close to double the price of the Emits.
I think Emit M10 plus a $500 stereo amp would be better than Xeo 2.
Likewise, Emit M20 plus a $1000 amp would be better Xeo 4
And I'd take Emit M30 plus a $2000 amp over Xeo 6

qirex - Are you building a three channel system, or is this just the first three channels of an eventual 7+ channel full surround rig? If your end goal is three channels, I'd say forget it, stick to stereo. But if this is the first step to a larger system, then I would get the AVR but plan on adding a multichannel amp as your next step. In the meantime, I think you will be short changing the Emits by driving them with a <$1000 multichannel receiver. The problem with inexpensive receivers is that they still have to have all the bells & whistles, so to keep the price low, there is very little budget allocated to the power supply and power amplifier.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36132 of 36142 Old Today, 04:10 PM

I've been using 3.1 for about 6 years and have been happy with it. Before that I was using 2.0 and before that 5 identical speakers for surround which was great it's just not practical in my current place. I like the wider sweet spot than when I was running stereo, I live in an apartment so it's definitely not about adding the center for total output levels. I ended up with some cheap Definitives that are ok but I've never really loved them like my old JBLs or Bluerooms so this time I want some speakers that will really put a smile on my face.

I'm definitely not opposed to an outboard amp but there's no pre/pros and very few receivers that can do 4k switching and have pre outs and don't cost at least $1200+ to begin with. Plus it just feels like total overkill for my little system. I have too many sources to just plug everything into the tv so I either need a receiver or a HDMI switch (and the situation with those is pretty dire at the moment). It just seems like 4k/HDR/HDCP 2.2 caught the whole industry flat-footed and they're kind of flailing. I'm half tempted to just buy this thing and hide out for a couple years until all the 4k chaos dies down.

Other speaker brands I'm researching: KEF, Focal, Ascend Acoustics all in the $1000-2000 range
post #36133 of 36142 Old Today, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinLungwitz View Post
I owned a set of Zensor 3s that I bought for an office set up after reading favorable reviews.

Perhaps the high end models sound better, but the Zensors' highs were very harsh. Lots of unnatural sibilance. And yes, I had them pointing straight forward to attenuate the on axis treble response per Dali's recommended positioning. I was very disappointed in the their grating quality, and sold them after giving them a year to settle in (which they never did).
When you compare them to Dynaudio they are a bit bright, that's for sure... I brought down my Zensor 7 to my basement and had them down their for about 2 days, hence they where playing up against from far more expensive speakers and they got moved up stairs quickly... They are rarely used thankfully, but I couldn't stick a better pair upstairs as I didn't want my kids to destroy a better pair! LOL I will most likely replace them with some Emit down the road..

Dynaudio, Magnepan, Belles, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and KEF, etc......Contour's 20's/Special 40's or Raidho next...
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #36134 of 36142 Old Today, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 68
For all the Schiit Fans... https://audio-head.com/a-trip-to-the-schiitr/

Good read.

Dynaudio Focus 260 | Focus 210C | Naim Nait 5si | Marantz 6008 | Oppo- 93 BDP | Audioquest Cables
post #36135 of 36142 Old Today, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
The Stand 6 is much more solid then my 3x that house the Emit10s for my bedroom. No way would I feel comfortable putting anything like the S40 in the 3x unless it was only me and there was zero chance of bumping it. No matter what I do to the 3x, I cannot get it to be as solid on floor spikes as the 6. Just my 2 cents.

On a separate note, really enjoying the 40's. Even a bit ore then my F260s which I just unloaded. After moving them into another room, I used a microfiber to clean off fingerprints. I noticed to the touch, one speaker top is rough while the other is smooth. I cannot tell visually any difference, but it definitely is a different feel. I plan to swap out as it doesn't seen right for a 3k speaker. Unfortunately, Dyn is out of stock so now the waiting game begins and break in starts over again :-(.
In what ways do you prefer S40 over F260? Thanks.
post #36136 of 36142 Old Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post

Good read.
Looking forward to buying their TT.
post #36137 of 36142 Old Today, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
In what ways do you prefer S40 over F260? Thanks.

More detailed highs and mids. Soundstage for me is a bit larger and maybe a bit closer to the MLP. No doubt the 260s could dig a bit deeper, but the S40 is no slouch. And with a sub I don’t care. It’s also easier to place closer to a back wall then the 250 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-55A1E, LG OLED 65G6P, LG 55EF9500
Anthem AVM 60, Anthem MRX720
Oppo UDP-203, Sony UBP-X800
Dynaudio Focus 210C/260, Dynaudio DM Center/2/6, Dynaudio IC17, Dynaudio Studio S4-W80
AT 44-DA
SVS SB16-Ultra
post #36138 of 36142 Old Today, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:

I use DM2/6s (the older emits) with a Marantz 5010. They're my surround speakers. However in all honesty, you will have no problems. I have 2 friends that drive DM3/7s with receivers and one that uses dm2/6 with a reciever also, of if the 3/7s was being driven by a $150 onkyo receiver
post #36139 of 36142 Old Today, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Good read.
I really like the "pottery wheel" as George calls them...I have been itching to possibly revisit my youth and grab one,this thing might fit the bill if pricing is as reasonable as their other gear.
I just found a bit more info on the TT,looks pretty cool!
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...sol-turntable/
Matrixman18 likes this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.

Last edited by no quarter; Today at 07:12 PM.
post #36140 of 36142 Old Today, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
More detailed highs and mids. Soundstage for me is a bit larger and maybe a bit closer to the MLP. No doubt the 260s could dig a bit deeper, but the S40 is no slouch. And with a sub I don’t care. It’s also easier to place closer to a back wall then the 250 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. The Focus 160 impressed me quite a bit. Can't wait to get these 40s and see what all the fuss is about...c'mon Thursday....lol

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Special 40 + Stand 3x | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
post #36141 of 36142 Old Today, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Good read.
I wonder if their name ever hurts them. I am sure all the kids think it's great though...lol

LG OLED65E6 | NAD C368 | Dynaudio Special 40 + Stand 3x | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+
post #36142 of 36142 Old Today, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
I've been using 3.1 for about 6 years and have been happy with it. Before that I was using 2.0 and before that 5 identical speakers for surround which was great it's just not practical in my current place. I like the wider sweet spot than when I was running stereo, I live in an apartment so it's definitely not about adding the center for total output levels. I ended up with some cheap Definitives that are ok but I've never really loved them like my old JBLs or Bluerooms so this time I want some speakers that will really put a smile on my face.

I'm definitely not opposed to an outboard amp but there's no pre/pros and very few receivers that can do 4k switching and have pre outs and don't cost at least $1200+ to begin with. Plus it just feels like total overkill for my little system. I have too many sources to just plug everything into the tv so I either need a receiver or a HDMI switch (and the situation with those is pretty dire at the moment). It just seems like 4k/HDR/HDCP 2.2 caught the whole industry flat-footed and they're kind of flailing. I'm half tempted to just buy this thing and hide out for a couple years until all the 4k chaos dies down.

Other speaker brands I'm researching: KEF, Focal, Ascend Acoustics all in the $1000-2000 range
Here you go

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page