Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5182Likes

post #36481 of 36494 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
The link he provided a couple of weeks ago said something about 150k system I think... ouch!,but I could be wrong.
I figured it'd be something like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36482 of 36494 Old Today, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 229
A New Criteria

Last year all the talk was about the updated Contour line, this year all the talk has been about the S40.

A few years ago, I had the S25, the Confidence C1, and the Focus 160 all in my room at the same time. In a head-to-head shootout, the Focus 160 was clearly at a disadvantage; mainly because of the size of my room. I felt like it was always reaching. While the 160 did perform admirably, the size of the room was a bit much for it to overcome. I still said it was an incredible bargain at $3000.

Enter the S40. From all the metrics (cabinet volume, cabinet shape, size of drivers, etc.,etc.), it's basically a hot-rodded Focus 160. What is most amazing is Dyn offering it at the same price as the 160. An incredible value.

If I were in the market for a new stand-mount speaker, which I'm not, the Contour 20 would be of more interest to me. I believe it's output would be closer to the S25 and it would fill my room without much trouble. Aside from aesthetics, the Contour 20 would still be a downgrade for me. Speaking of aesthetics, the new Countours have beautiful lines; the slight curves on the cabinet sides, the large radius on the corners, and the large built-in aluminum pinth. This is an expensive cabinet to build! I have inspected that cabinet and it is truly beautiful craftsmanship. The Grey Oak is definitely worth the 10% up-charge. When you consider the complexity of the cabinet, the finishes, the output, and of course the drivers, at $5000, the Contour 20 is the new leader in value.

I've had enough of graphs, specs, and head-to-head A/B is time consuming and a lot of work, so I decided on a new metric.
My new criteria for value:
S40- $167.00/lb.
C20- $147.00/lb.

If you go by this criteria, the Contour 20 is clearly the winner.
Solgryn and KenM10759 like this.
post #36483 of 36494 Old Today, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 189
C4s are a bit less than $100 per lb. The are leading the pack in value. Its like buying dynaudio in bulk at Costco

post #36484 of 36494 Old Today, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
C4s are a bit less than $100 per lb. The are leading the pack in value. Its like buying dynaudio in bulk at Costco
Aschen,

One, I was only comparing the C20 and the S40.

Two, you better check your math: new C4s are $24K.
$24,000 ÷ 121 lbs.= $198/lb.
post #36485 of 36494 Old Today, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Aschen,

One, I was only comparing the C20 and the S40.

Two, you better check your math: new C4s are $24K.
$24,000 ÷ 121 lbs.= $198/lb.
you get two for 24k

My post of course was meant to be light hearted, as was yours I thought
amatuerholic likes this.
post #36486 of 36494 Old Today, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
I've had enough of graphs, specs, and head-to-head A/B is time consuming and a lot of work, so I decided on a new metric.
My new criteria for value:
S40- $167.00/lb.
C20- $147.00/lb.

If you go by this criteria, the Contour 20 is clearly the winner.
I will never use any other metric from now on with my Audio equipment.
I am already applying it on cables, amps, DACs, room treatment modules and of course my girlfriend.

Finally I can by those mercury HIFI cables that has to be cooled to stay solidstate with a piece of mind.

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer
post #36487 of 36494 Old Today, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
you get two for 24k

My post of course was meant to be light hearted, as was yours I thought
Of course, my post was meant to be light-hearted. You did bring attention to my math error.
For some reason, I was just doing one speaker (early morning).

Updated: Price per pound per speaker
s40- $83.50/lb.
C20- $73.50/lb.
C4- $99/lb.

The Contour 20 still wins.
post #36488 of 36494 Old Today, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
I will never use any other metric from now on with my Audio equipment.
I am already applying it on cables, amps, DACs, room treatment modules and of course my girlfriend.

Finally I can by those mercury HIFI cables that has to be cooled to stay solidstate with a piece of mind.
Since I'm still married, I legally can't use that metric for my girlfriend.

Now my wife, as she's gotten older and gained weight, you would think she would cost less per pound...NOT
post #36489 of 36494 Old Today, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 122
How do the C2's compare to the Contour C60's?

As indicated above, I am thinking of getting away from the C1's.
post #36490 of 36494 Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post
How do the C2's compare to the Contour C60's?

As indicated above, I am thinking of getting away from the C1's.
I think you will have to try to audition and see. However, since you said you use SUBs I would be inclined to say the c2s might have a bit better performance in your application. Otto said before they still consider the controlled directivity to be a performance advantage over the conventional driver layout. I am sure that is room dependent as well. However, for pure 2.0 listening I am sure the C60s bass performance is much better or at least much higher spl.
post #36491 of 36494 Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think you will have to try to audition and see. However, since you said you use SUBs I would be inclined to say the c2s might have a bit better performance in your application. Otto said before they still consider the controlled directivity to be a performance advantage over the conventional driver layout. I am sure that is room dependent as well. However, for pure 2.0 listening I am sure the C60s bass performance is much better or at least much higher spl.
Thanks!

I love the C1's sound-stage and imaging. Does anyone know if I would be loosing that with the C60's?
post #36492 of 36494 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post
My aural memory of the F260 is fast receding, but... I would just simply say the F340 is more authoritative-sounding (in the bass registers). In fact, I couldn't place them in the same spot as the F260 - too much bloat. Now in more optimal position, F340 seems just as balanced as the F260 but with greater reach. (Greater bass also giving them an illusion of greater soundstage...) Interestingly, I don't "hear" the mid-bass peak as suggested by the German review. It could be because the bass is dissipated along my 25' of wall space (open-plan 1-bedroom apt). Or it could just be because my hearing is quite non-linear in the bass region.

At this point it's all an academic exercise for me, trying to reconcile measurements and my perception. I do sometimes wonder why i am not "hearing" the graphs...Not anything I'm losing sleep over.
One thing to note. A peak in the mid-bass can often be compensated for with room placement. If you have the speakers 3.0-3.5' away from either the front wall or side walls, you'll be getting some cancellation near the center of the peak shown in the measurements.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36493 of 36494 Old Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post
Thanks!

I love the C1's sound-stage and imaging. Does anyone know if I would be loosing that with the C60's?
I have never heard any new Contour models,but every Dyn speaker I have owned/heard image well,even my excite 12's.Are you using them for home theatre only,or do you also listen to 2 channel in that room?I thought you were usining a single C1 for the centre channel too,that may work better matched with C2's,but that is just a guess.The reason I ended up starting a separate 2 channel system at (at my old house) was I did not like sitting in my basement just to listen to music,movies were a different story.So the 2 channel setup went upstairs in my living room.Now that I am in an apartment,everything is in one room(living room).
I don't think you can go wrong with C2's or C 60's,but then you might need a Confidence center to keep up.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #36494 of 36494 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I have never heard any new Contour models,but every Dyn speaker I have owned/heard image well,even my excite 12's.Are you using them for home theatre only,or do you also listen to 2 channel in that room?I thought you were usining a single C1 for the centre channel too,that may work better matched with C2's,but that is just a guess.The reason I ended up starting a separate 2 channel system at (at my old house) was I did not like sitting in my basement just to listen to music,movies were a different story.So the 2 channel setup went upstairs in my living room.Now that I am in an apartment,everything is in one room(living room).
I don't think you can go wrong with C2's or C 60's,but then you might need a Confidence center to keep up.
These are used in our Home Theater, however I do a lot of Stereo Music Listening in there (using my Subs). I do use a C1 as my center channel. I have often contemplated a separate 2 channel room, but due to the current performance of the Home Theater System, it is not necessary. My living room 2.1 system has Paradigm Studio 60's V. 1 which servers the purpose.
no quarter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page