Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5209Likes

post #36511 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I want to rant about Dynaudio site, front page. Otto - pass that to your peeps.

1. Why does it have EISA award sticker? Who cares about that when spending that money? It turns the look of the site into WhatHiFi page. Replace that with something like "Hand manufactured in Denmark, like all of our speakers." And then put some link on it where viewer can read how it is triple tested during manufacturing and after assembly. Boast something about your drivers too.

2. Why do you have Simaudio laying there? Don't imply you need expensive brand amps to drive them, because it will defer people. Also, if a viewer has bad relationship with Simaudio, then your brand hurts too.

3. It says Europe's best. Why? Maybe US's best is better at that price? Should not use continental association for audiophile products. For e.g. Yamaha (or Marantz, can't remember which) plants different components for Japan market than other countries. For Japan market amps have less bass/SPL to be suited for thin wall small apartments. So writing it's Europe's best (and we do have smaller apartments than US), might imply that it was voiced specifically for that.

4. I can't see the whole product due to the huge text with black background.

5. Too many tutorials and asking the experts. S40s are lost in there which is your latest product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturec20.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	2285954  

Last edited by Frank79; Yesterday at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36512 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
Good!
If starting again with vinyl, i would take a short cut and just buy a new vpi prime scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
got a budget in mind? I think a basic level turntable will bring alot of the fun and sound. You don't need to go crazy if you dont want to. The rega tonearms are better than the other entry level tables in my opinion.
Thanks both. VPIs I can find on ebay thou it would apply import tax since most of them are in US. So probably something from Europe. For Rega - that's good to know about their tonearms, since local dealers mostly carry Pro-Ject and Rega in budget category.

Budget is <=1k dollars for this tryout.
post #36513 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
Thanks both. VPIs I can find on ebay thou it would apply import tax since most of them are in US. So probably something from Europe. For Rega - that's good to know about their tonearms, since local dealers mostly carry Pro-Ject and Rega in budget category.

Budget is <=1k dollars for this tryout.
Than see if you can find for example a thorens TD2001/3000. It's late build real Thorens. Very quiet table, good tonearm, auto shutoff on tp90 arm. Around 800 euroos complete with cartridge, and might only gain value during years..
I also went to check rega..but i found a used thorens much more table for the money. I'll post a photo later.
Frank79 likes this.

Last edited by andrex99; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.

post #36514 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 193
There is a pretty good factory tour of rega:

I have 2 tables a rega I bought 20 years ago and a vpi scout I bought a few years ago. The rega stuff looks unassuming but there is zero slop in the arms and they function exceptionally smooth. I think the tables themselves are more or less similar to the competition however. There is a reason why so many companies OEM the rega arms. I personally have a strong preference for them over pro-ject/sumiko and music hall. Im not sure how pricing works for you but clearaudio is german, you might find something in range.

Being a nostalgic media I do like the idea of a quality table from the actual heydey of LPs, those are tougher to score cheap these days around here. 10 years ago you could get a mint vintage thorens or similar at garage sales and goodwill easily for dozens of dollars. That reminds me of a wildcard option:
http://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/

Not sure what an older LP12 goes for in the UK but if you can score one with an rb300 in your price range, that is what I would do.
andrex99 and Frank79 like this.
post #36515 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Matro5 and Frank79 like this.
post #36516 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

That's exactly what I want
andrex99 likes this.
post #36517 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 95
How about complimentary 25th Anniversary Editions.....

Dynaudio Special 25s and a Rega P25.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 5.25.15 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2286044  
andrex99 and Frank79 like this.
post #36518 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I want to rant about Dynaudio site, front page. Otto - pass that to your peeps.

1. Why does it have EISA award sticker? Who cares about that when spending that money? It turns the look of the site into WhatHiFi page. Replace that with something like "Hand manufactured in Denmark, like all of our speakers." And then put some link on it where viewer can read how it is triple tested during manufacturing and after assembly. Boast something about your drivers too.

2. Why do you have Simaudio laying there? Don't imply you need expensive brand amps to drive them, because it will defer people. Also, if a viewer has bad relationship with Simaudio, then your brand hurts too.

3. It says Europe's best. Why? Maybe US's best is better at that price? Should not use continental association for audiophile products. For e.g. Yamaha (or Marantz, can't remember which) plants different components for Japan market than other countries. For Japan market amps have less bass/SPL to be suited for thin wall small apartments. So writing it's Europe's best (and we do have smaller apartments than US), might imply that it was voiced specifically for that.

4. I can't see the whole product due to the huge text with black background.

5. Too many tutorials and asking the experts. S40s are lost in there which is your latest product.

They won the EISA award for best bookshelf loudspeaker 2017-2018. You wouldn't advertise that? It says "Europe's best" because EISA is the European Imaging and Sound Association.

Sometimes it does seem like too much front page space is used for tutorials/ask the expert/videos, as opposed to featuring products. However, I think what they're trying to do is continually put new content onto the front page, so people have a reason to keep visiting the site. Makes sense to me.
Frank79 likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36519 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Vinyl is way too finicky for me. Tidal HiFi and uncompressed FLAC from my NAS and I am set.

LG OLED65E6 | ARC DSi200 | Dynaudio Special Forty | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Synology DS916+ | roon
post #36520 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
They won the EISA award for best bookshelf loudspeaker 2017-2018. You wouldn't advertise that? It says "Europe's best" because EISA is the European Imaging and Sound Association.

Sometimes it does seem like too much front page space is used for tutorials/ask the expert/videos, as opposed to featuring products. However, I think what they're trying to do is continually put new content onto the front page, so people have a reason to keep visiting the site. Makes sense to me.
Funny how they say the Contour 20 is the best bookshelf speaker 2017-2018,yet we are still in 2017.Was this award given out before the special 40 was released?
Frank79 likes this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #36521 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a pretty good factory tour of rega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7elN5KCPvU&t=5s

I have 2 tables a rega I bought 20 years ago and a vpi scout I bought a few years ago. The rega stuff looks unassuming but there is zero slop in the arms and they function exceptionally smooth. I think the tables themselves are more or less similar to the competition however. There is a reason why so many companies OEM the rega arms. I personally have a strong preference for them over pro-ject/sumiko and music hall. Im not sure how pricing works for you but clearaudio is german, you might find something in range.

Being a nostalgic media I do like the idea of a quality table from the actual heydey of LPs, those are tougher to score cheap these days around here. 10 years ago you could get a mint vintage thorens or similar at garage sales and goodwill easily for dozens of dollars. That reminds me of a wildcard option:
http://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/

Not sure what an older LP12 goes for in the UK but if you can score one with an rb300 in your price range, that is what I would do.
I have had my eye on a Rega Rp-8 that my dealer has had for a couple of years(brand new),he said they are really set it and forget it,but I am not sure if I want to open up another avenue to spend a crap load of money.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/N 272/XPS DR/250dr/power lines-XD 600's,Teac pd-501 DSD player.,Special 40's.
post #36522 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Vinyl is way too finicky for me. Tidal HiFi and uncompressed FLAC from my NAS and I am set.
Hm.. would have sworn you preferred tapes. Especially of "Huey Lewis and the News"
drewTT likes this.
post #36523 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hm.. would have sworn you preferred tapes. Especially of "Huey Lewis and the News"
Genesis.

LG OLED65E6 | ARC DSi200 | Dynaudio Special Forty | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Synology DS916+ | roon
post #36524 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Funny how they say the Contour 20 is the best bookshelf speaker 2017-2018,yet we are still in 2017.Was this award given out before the special 40 was released?
I bet they made high investments in developing new Contour range from ground up, so they allocated sufficient cash to win some awards and reviews so that demand would justify the investments
post #36525 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

EISA awards were announced about a month ago. Presumably the selection process started some time before that. So I'm guessing the Special 40 arrived too late to be considered anyway.
no quarter likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36526 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
I agree, but I'll be buying the Schiit turntable when it's released...
post #36527 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
I have had my eye on a Rega Rp-8 that my dealer has had for a couple of years(brand new),he said they are really set it and forget it,but I am not sure if I want to open up another avenue to spend a crap load of money.
Its easy to get sucked into high dollar vinyl stuff, but really I think basic setups get you most of the joy. I never participate in any sort of "sounds better or worse" type debates. For me it is just fun and a bit nostalgic, sorta like driving an old car. I don't care if a v6 accord is faster than a 64 mustang, id rather drive the mustang sometimes and commute in the accord.

Im not sure what my point is, other than you can spend 1000 on an analog set up with pretty good results.

Also:

I dont find turntables or records to be finicky at all, keeping my kids from touching them is them main issue. I cant recall making very many adjustments to either turntable after setting up. If you are OCD, you might go crazy though.
post #36528 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its easy to get sucked into high dollar vinyl stuff, but really I think basic setups get you most of the joy. I never participate in any sort of "sounds better or worse" type debates. For me it is just fun and a bit nostalgic, sorta like driving an old car. I don't care if a v6 accord is faster than a 64 mustang, id rather drive the mustang sometimes and commute in the accord.

Im not sure what my point is, other than you can spend 1000 on an analog set up with pretty good results.

Also:

I dont find turntables or records to be finicky at all, keeping my kids from touching them is them main issue. I cant recall making very many adjustments to either turntable after setting up. If you are OCD, you might go crazy though.
Yes it would be a nostalgic thing for me too,I am 52 years old,so I grew up on vinyl,yet has been a long time since I actually owned a turntable...probably 30 years!Yet now,the level of equipment I have is miles ahead of what I used when I had a deck,so I almost owe it to myself to give it another go.I will never forget my teenage years browsing through record stores,the smell of a new album,and just coming home and playing it over and over...good times for sure.

post #36529 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Just because you have the S40s?
post #36530 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Yes it would be a nostalgic thing for me too,I am 52 years old,so I grew up on vinyl,yet has been a long time since I actually owned a turntable...probably 30 years!Yet now,the level of equipment I have is miles ahead of what I used when I had a deck,so I almost owe it to myself to give it another go.I will never forget my teenage years browsing through record stores,the smell of a new album,and just coming home and playing it over and over...good times for sure.
Exactly my thoughts, and I got back into it with a sub-$500 TT and cartridge combo. I'm considering moving up to a VPI turntable and a good matching cartridge, but that's where it's going to stop. I can tell a significant difference in listening to my ProJect RPM1 and a couple of $2k to $2.5k TT's at my dealer's, so perhaps when it's time for them to offer up the demo stock I'd take the plunge but I know I'd never spend more than that on it. My LP's are mostly older ones and not deserving of better than that.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #36531 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Just because you have the S40s?
Of course,they were released in 2017.
And you would think speakers from 2018 deserve a shot too.

Last edited by no quarter; Yesterday at 07:03 PM.
post #36532 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Buncha old farts here....lol

post #36533 of 36534 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Buncha old farts here....lol
Not really
no quarter likes this.
post #36534 of 36534 Old Today, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post

+1
Like it or not, EISA awards sell speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page