Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5230Likes

post #36571 of 36576 Old Today, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 195
any of y'all running an amp based on Hypex Ncore modules?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36572 of 36576 Old Today, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_01 View Post
A friend of mine e-mailed Dynaudio to find out if there was any significant difference between the new Sub 6 and 18S, which do appear to be identical apart from some grille mounts on the Sub 6.
Well, he got a reply which, to me, displays nothing but world-class douche-baggery by Dynaudio.
The Sub 6 and 18S have DSP profiles built-in to match them with other Dyns. However, apparently the Sub 6 has profiles only for consumer models, and the 18S has profiles for the professional ones.
I feel that this limitation does nothing but to alienate owners, such as myself, who own speakers from both lines.
It allows them to charge a higher price from home audio customers than pro audio customers for the same product, which is pretty lame IMO. At least in the case of Sub 600 vs. BM-14S, the Sub 600 had nicer finishes to justify its higher price. The BM-14S also had XLR inputs while the Sub 600 did not, which is why I went with the BM-14S even though it required a special order and two month wait. But in this case, it seems like the two subs are damn near identical so Dynaudio has handicapped them with an arbitrary limitation to prevent cross-shopping.

In my mind, the jury is still out regarding whether Dynaudio's DSP speaker matching profiles are useful. In the frequency range where the sub operates, the room is dominant.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36573 of 36576 Old Today, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank79 View Post
What I would do is I would get good DAC&streamer and feed it to integrated or power amp, which would let me avoid AVR.

Since I like Arcam, I would get irDac II and feed it with xBox/Wii/Cable via TVs optical or coaxial. For NAS/Tidal/Spotify/Youtube etc I would use Chromecast to TV and sound from same optical or coax to irDac II. Or get rPlay, or AirDac for streaming (but I like Chromecast Ultra since I can stream videos). Also, you can connect BD/CD players too and use Arcams DAC for higher quality sound.
Thanks Frank79. Heard nothing but good things about the irDac II! Didnt realize its utility. I have a Chromecast already, so just taking the audio out to irDac should be enough for me.

Quote:
This would make your irDac II as your preamp with source selection and volume control essentially, which you can use to connect power amps or integrated amps. For power - Arcam A39 (120w both channels) or P429 (125w both channels). Any good amp above 100w is plenty sufficient for S40s. All within your budget.. would be a great system.
From the two, i like the A39. Dont have a dealer near where i live, but will try for an audition soon. These are very helpful inputs. Thanks again!

post #36574 of 36576 Old Today, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
It allows them to charge a higher price from home audio customers than pro audio customers for the same product, which is pretty lame IMO. At least in the case of Sub 600 vs. BM-14S, the Sub 600 had nicer finishes to justify its higher price. The BM-14S also had XLR inputs while the Sub 600 did not, which is why I went with the BM-14S even though it required a special order and two month wait. But in this case, it seems like the two subs are damn near identical so Dynaudio has handicapped them with an arbitrary limitation to prevent cross-shopping.

In my mind, the jury is still out regarding whether Dynaudio's DSP speaker matching profiles are useful. In the frequency range where the sub operates, the room is dominant.
It does allow them to charge more, however I'm fairly sure that's because they offer a warranty on the home components, and not on the pro...
post #36575 of 36576 Old Today, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Going by Dynaudio's site, warranty is the same for both.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #36576 of 36576 Old Today, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Time to share some music

https://youtu.be/TA0U22ZMVR0

Frank a couple of more for you, that will make the Dyn's sing!

Dynaudio, Magnepan, Belles, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and KEF, etc......Contour's 20's/Special 40's or Raidho next...
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page