Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 157 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Speakers

KeithR's Avatar KeithR
03:16 PM Liked: 10
post #4681 of 24882
07-23-2009 | Posts: 1,472
Joined: May 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

I have never known any of our tweeters to be hot, slightly hot or any other adjective that describes brightness. Dynaudio speakers are not limited to just solid state amplifiers and in fact many of my favorite amp combinations with Dynaudio have been tube. One of my favorite combinations right now is the one in our sound room, Octave V-80 integrated, Wadia 581SE CD Player and the Sapphires. Sweet, detailed powerful are just some of the words I have used to describe this system.


not entirely...both the Special 25 and Sapphire measured in Stereophile have tilted up treble regions somewhat clearly on display.

of course most people have untreated rooms which probably (and unfairly) leads to "brightness" issues....
HTMAN21's Avatar HTMAN21
03:55 PM Liked: 10
post #4682 of 24882
07-23-2009 | Posts: 1,125
Joined: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

i know i will probably get bashed for this... but here i go... lol anyone interested in some KEF 207's or XQ 20's at a crazy price??? i am banned from the KEF forum... truth hurts i guess :P lol otherwise i would post that in their.... if you can help me move these i would be greatly appreciated we cut ties with KEF yesterday... A 7 year relationship done.

So on with Dynaudio . If you are looking at their speakers for the first time or considering them you will not find a nicer set of people, and more supportive group of nut jobs around lol... I think we all become crazy after a while. Seriously though. Dynaudio has been great to me and my customers and the customer is what really matters most. I get emails and letters from customers thanking me about how nice it was dealing with them... Thanks Mick... Thanks Dynaudio! 7 years and going strong!

Have you considered adding a mid level line of speakers? Your location will not support only expensive products.
Of course you have to be careful because Paradigm or B&W might hurt that 7 year relationship.
humyt's Avatar humyt
07:48 AM Liked: 10
post #4683 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 66
Joined: May 2002
Wondering if anyone uses Wyred4Sound ICE amps on their Dynaudio and how does it sound?

I am considering the MC500x3 (1,140w in 4 ohm) for my Focus 220 & 200C. Would the power be overkill for the speakers in HT usage?
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
08:01 AM Liked: 11
post #4684 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

Have you considered adding a mid level line of speakers? Your location will not support only expensive products.
Of course you have to be careful because Paradigm or B&W might hurt that 7 year relationship.

Paradigm and PSB are on the list... as well as Monitor... we have a local B&W dealer... maybe some Cerwin Vega's! LOL
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
08:04 AM Liked: 11
post #4685 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyt View Post

Wondering if anyone uses Wyred4Sound ICE amps on their Dynaudio and how does it sound?

I am considering the MC500x3 (1,140w in 4 ohm) for my Focus 220 & 200C. Would the power be overkill for the speakers in HT usage?

I with that line but i can tell you this GOOD amperage never hurts the Dyn's i am currently running W7m's on my Dyn's and often for break in have used them to break in Focus series the W7m's are 500w at 8 1000w @ 4. And they sound amazing. If its good CLEAN power with high amperage its going to sound awesome most likely.
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
08:08 AM Liked: 11
post #4686 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Even though i know what the new speaker is... there is alot of numbers going into it... Makes me have a better appreciation for it....i was on the outs when the Sapphire's were released... It's a nail biter huh? I begged Mick to tell me when the Sapphire's were coming out what it was but he held tight to his guns.... This one i was honored to know. You are all going to be duly impressed
dynlunatic's Avatar dynlunatic
10:07 AM Liked: 11
post #4687 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,335
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

Have you considered adding a mid level line of speakers? Your location will not support only expensive products.
Of course you have to be careful because Paradigm or B&W might hurt that 7 year relationship.


Paradigm is not an issue as most of their pricepoints are well below $10,000 and both speakers lines work very nicely together but B&W does not want to go head to head with Dynaudio or Focal, you can read between the lines.
dynlunatic's Avatar dynlunatic
10:08 AM Liked: 11
post #4688 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,335
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

not entirely...both the Special 25 and Sapphire measured in Stereophile have tilted up treble regions somewhat clearly on display.

of course most people have untreated rooms which probably (and unfairly) leads to "brightness" issues....

True but it happens in the crossover not the tweeter. Tomato or Tomahto.
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
10:19 AM Liked: 11
post #4689 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
I had a guy in from Memphis in yesterday that said NOTHING could beat his CJ PV-11 and Magnepan's said the bass was missing of the Maggie's but over all the high's and mid level was unrivaled... He listened to the C1's for a few tracks and said THEY were they best speaker BY A LONG SHOT he had ever heard... said he would never go to another Yo Yo Ma concert again if he had them... Tried closing the deal.... but alas... :P I did get him to take hope a Parasound A21 to replace his Adcom GFA555.
And i splurged.... we became a Rega dealer today and i bought a P3-24 in LIME GREEN with the Elys2 cartridge.... i am so Happy Dark Side Of The Moon Original Master HERE I COME!!! **Dire Strait's Love Over Gold **Original Master*** I am getting gitty just thinking about it and on the Sapphire's and the C4's too running through the Sim LP5.3/P-7/W-7m's with TARA Labs The One's .... in the word's of Stimpy... "JOY!!!!"
DrPyro's Avatar DrPyro
11:11 AM Liked: 11
post #4690 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 239
Joined: Feb 2003
Humyt-

I don't use the Wyred4Sound, but i do run the Bel Canto's Ref1000 on my C1s. Overall I have been quite happy with them. They are MUCH quicker and musical transients that were just blurred together were crisp and clear with the Bel Cantos (as compared to my old Parasound HCA-1205A). i felt they were very neutral, it did take me time to get use to the larger base response. I initially thought they exhaggerated the base, but i think is that the ICE provided better control and flatter response than my old amp did making the base feel unnaturally larger. Plus, the energy efficency isn't a bad thing....
I have been happy with them....

-DrPyro
rded's Avatar rded
11:48 AM Liked: 10
post #4691 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 355
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Paradigm is not an issue as most of their pricepoints are well below $10,000 and both speakers lines work very nicely together but B&W does not want to go head to head with Dynaudio or Focal, you can read between the lines.

Mick, I haven't really thought of that until now...No wonder why I can't find a B$W dealer that carries Dynaudio and or Focal.
Iostream's Avatar Iostream
12:09 PM Liked: 14
post #4692 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 445
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

Mick, I haven't really thought of that until now...No wonder why I can't find a B$W dealer that carries Dynaudio and or Focal.

Actually, the currend Dallas B&W Dealer also carried Dynaudio for a while, it was the first place I really got to compare the S1.4 to the 805s. They are a different enough sound that I am sure most people would not have a hard time choosing between the two. One of them will obviously tickle the listeners fancy much more than the other. That said, I get the impression that B&W wants to be the premier speaker at all of their dealers, and wouldn't be happy with anything else at a similar price point.
Puma Cat's Avatar Puma Cat
12:18 PM Liked: 13
post #4693 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,458
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

Mick, I haven't really thought of that until now...No wonder why I can't find a B$W dealer that carries Dynaudio and or Focal.

There is a dealer in Walnut Creek, CA that carries B&W and Dynaudio. He thinks very highly of both of them. His business is much more centered around Home Theatre than 2-channel stereo, though. He didn't even have a phono preamp to use when I brought my Rega TT in for a demo of B&Ws and the Excites.
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
12:19 PM Liked: 11
post #4694 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

Actually, the currend Dallas B&W Dealer also carried Dynaudio for a while, it was the first place I really got to compare the S1.4 to the 805s. They are a different enough sound that I am sure most people would not have a hard time choosing between the two. One of them will obviously tickle the listeners fancy much more than the other. That said, I get the impression that B&W wants to be the premier speaker at all of their dealers, and wouldn't be happy with anything else at a similar price point.

i asked to carry B&W i actually liked their older stuff i was a B&W dealer before i saw the light lol... i owned a complete 600 series with a CC6 series 2 and my dad had 805 Matrix and my uncle 800's... so my family were B&W junkies... i know the line well... i WORKED for a the BIGGEST B&W dealer in the USA Sound Advice we sold 1/3 of all total B&W sales PERIOD... LOL. I asked to carry it in my Florida store when they asked what speakers i carried and i went through the lines i THEN carried with them on the phone with the Rep "Martin Logan, KEF, Dynaudio" all was well until i got to Dynaudio... lol it was either a heck no.... or a well are you going to make us numero uno? can't quite remember... i think it was a "Are you willing to sell your soul to the devil?, Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?" answer... ha ha ha ha
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
12:21 PM Liked: 11
post #4695 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Dynaudio and Dali is another one.... then again Dali is just a rip off they are Dyn wanna be's
rded's Avatar rded
12:23 PM Liked: 10
post #4696 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 355
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

Actually, the currend Dallas B&W Dealer also carried Dynaudio for a while, it was the first place I really got to compare the S1.4 to the 805s. They are a different enough sound that I am sure most people would not have a hard time choosing between the two. One of them will obviously tickle the listeners fancy much more than the other. That said, I get the impression that B&W wants to be the premier speaker at all of their dealers, and wouldn't be happy with anything else at a similar price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

There is a dealer in Walnut Creek, CA that carries B&W and Dynaudio. He thinks very highly of both of them. His business is much more centered around Home Theatre than 2-channel stereo, though. He didn't even have a phono preamp to use when I brought my Rega TT in for a demo of B&Ws and the Excites.

I was implying about dealers in the Chicago and the burbs. But that's cool.
dynlunatic's Avatar dynlunatic
02:12 PM Liked: 11
post #4697 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,335
Joined: Mar 2007
B&W makes a fine product, I carried it for many years along with Dynaudio when I was in retail and having that competition between two highly repected but philosophically different companies was great for the customer. Dynaudio, Focal and even Dali all understand the benefit of good competition, sure there are instances when a dealer will drop one line for another for various reasons but it needs to be the dealers choice. I personally chose to own Dynaudio as part of my very first real audio system after being exposed to MANY other brands including B&W and like most Dynaudio owners I chose to stay in the family.
lawn_wrangler's Avatar lawn_wrangler
05:58 PM Liked: 10
post #4698 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 87
Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

B&W makes a fine product, I carried it for many years along with Dynaudio when I was in retail and having that competition between two highly repected but philosophically different companies was great for the customer. Dynaudio, Focal and even Dali all understand the benefit of good competition, sure there are instances when a dealer will drop one line for another for various reasons but it needs to be the dealers choice. I personally chose to own Dynaudio as part of my very first real audio system after being exposed to MANY other brands including B&W and like most Dynaudio owners I chose to stay in the family.

Mick,

How would you characterize the philosophies of B&W v. Dynaudio?

My perception in the short 2 months I've been self-educating is that the tagline that 'Danes never lie' isn't just marketing. But I'm still curious about B&W, not least because I'm interested in Rotel electronics based on reputation and reviews. I wasn't really impressed with the 68x series but hearing the Focus 110s made me up my budget, so I would like to revisit B&W and look at CMs, and possibly old 700s.
hifisponge's Avatar hifisponge
07:03 PM Liked: 11
post #4699 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 7,516
Joined: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Dynaudio and Dali is another one.... then again Dali is just a rip off they are Dyn wanna be's

I see the smilies, but you're nuts. The Dali Helicons are some of my favorite speakers, and I'm a Dyn fan. They aren't as technically neutral as the Dyns, but they are very "musical" speakers, with a lush midrange and the most extended and delicate treble I've ever heard.
Mozvz's Avatar Mozvz
08:13 PM Liked: 10
post #4700 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,735
Joined: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I see the smilies, but you're nuts. The Dali Helicons are some of my favorite speakers, and I'm a Dyn fan. They aren't as technically neutral as the Dyns, but they are very "musical" speakers, with a lush midrange and the most extended and delicate treble I've ever heard.

We agree and when I first read Brad's comment this afternoon, I guessed he is either British, because their humor is quite different from us Yanks, or he was seriously drunk at the time. Actually, if I had any free time at all in my life, I'd probably buy a pair of Heli 300's for a small listening room I have in the basement. I don't even have any leisure time to listen to the Sapphires, which is a travesty. I always liked Dali's. Dali is a class act, great output, sexy looking and are well made. I know that Ben G. left the company to pursue other interests.
Magnus_CA's Avatar Magnus_CA
08:36 PM Liked: 10
post #4701 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 1,335
Joined: Oct 2004
Dali's were a close 2nd for me as well before I went with my Focus'. Their ribbon tweeters are sweet and far from a Dyn wannabe design.
humyt's Avatar humyt
09:53 PM Liked: 10
post #4702 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 66
Joined: May 2002
Brad & DrPyro-

Thanks for the advice, will seriously look into the ICE amps to match my Focus 5.1, either Wyred4Sound or the cheaper D-Sonic
pal1982's Avatar pal1982
10:27 PM Liked: 11
post #4703 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 660
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

We agree and when I first read Brad's comment this afternoon, I guessed he is either British, because their humor is quite different from us Yanks, or he was seriously drunk at the time. Actually, if I had any free time at all in my life, I'd probably buy a pair of Heli 300's for a small listening room I have in the basement. I don't even have any leisure time to listen to the Sapphires, which is a travesty. I always liked Dali's. Dali is a class act, great output, sexy looking and are well made. I know that Ben G. left the company to pursue other interests.


GillianSeed's Avatar GillianSeed
11:49 PM Liked: 10
post #4704 of 24882
07-24-2009 | Posts: 40
Joined: Apr 2007
Are the WSB 1 designed for the S 1.4 ?
Mozvz's Avatar Mozvz
08:35 AM Liked: 10
post #4705 of 24882
07-25-2009 | Posts: 1,735
Joined: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post


Brad,

Did not offend. The business side versus the consumer side can be a different animal. None of knew what influenced your previous comment, that's all. Thanks for clarifying.
wgerman's Avatar wgerman
12:50 PM Liked: 16
post #4706 of 24882
07-25-2009 | Posts: 280
Joined: Mar 2006
Question for Mick, is the new speaker going to be positioned above the Evidence line? Or is that propietary?
hifisponge's Avatar hifisponge
02:47 PM Liked: 11
post #4707 of 24882
07-25-2009 | Posts: 7,516
Joined: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post


No worries "freund". I tend to be pretty blunt by nature too. Guess it must be that 1/4 German I have in my blood.
nitewulf's Avatar nitewulf
06:25 PM Liked: 10
post #4708 of 24882
07-25-2009 | Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 2009
are there any internet reviews available for the Focus 360 yet?
Dynero's Avatar Dynero
09:43 PM Liked: 16
post #4709 of 24882
07-25-2009 | Posts: 1,193
Joined: Jun 2008
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THE OPTION TO TRANSLATE THE PAGE< BUT IN A NUTSHELL ITS A RAVE< COMPARES VERY WELL EVEN TO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE SPEAKERS like Magico and Revel/KEF.
michollock's Avatar michollock
12:21 AM Liked: 10
post #4710 of 24882
07-27-2009 | Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 2008
I am new to Dynaudio. I just heard Dynadudio speakers for the first time and I was blown away! I am looking to up date my miss matched 5.0 surround system and hopefully get into listening to more music from my system at the same time. Right now I am about 100% movies but want to get closer to 80% movie and 20% music. I live in SF so I will always have people above or below me so I do not run a sub.

I want to put together an Audience 5.0 system using used or new gear if I can find it. I have a Marantz SR 7400 and a medium sized room. Once I get all the speakers I will upgrade to an external amp from maybe NAD or Emotiva. I am planning on Audience 72s for fronts. I think these will play low enough without needed a sub. Audience 42s for rears.

So my question is on the best center channel to go with this set up in my medium sized room. I have been reading alot about avoiding the MTM horizontal setup. I have always struggled with my centers. I am currently using a Paradigm LCR-450 Center. It is also MTM and I do not like it as it is not always easy to hear the dialog clear when watching movies. I noticed that there are two centers for the Audience line. The Audience 42C and the Audience 122C. If I could run the Audience 42C vertically would it be superior to the 122C running horizontally? Or is the 122C an exception to the rule and a great center channel even though it is MTM and can be used horizontally?

Thank you all in advance for the help. I was hoping to get the center soon and if I like it build the rest of the system around it.

Michael
Tags: Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3