post #5401 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Frankly i kinda miss my 3.4, they were about as full range I could get in my space and still have that amazing dyne sound, I hear the 220 is quite good too.

I like them for both those reasons, almost full-range but fit in my (small) space.

I've got a current pic:

The Dynes are about 7 ft apart...

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

I like them for both those reasons, almost full-range but fit in my (small) space.

I've got a current pic:

The Dynes are about 7 ft apart...

With a little adjustment you just might have room here for a c2 although a Sapphire would best match cant you move your TV more to the center of the setup ( parallel to the coffee table ) and separate the speakers more?
post #5403 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
Looks like there is a stair landing right behind his TV setup, thus prohibiting moving it outward.
post #5404 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:

If it is, it's a steakhouse, not trendy fusion. Focal is like bistro food, rich and plump, the high efficiency single drivers are like experimental cuisine for me.

I agree. I equate Dynaudio to a classic restaurant. It's a tradition that goes about its business, not getting caught up in the trends like beryllium.
post #5405 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

Mike,

Do you happen to know what the drivers of the Contour 1.3 SE were the predecessors to? I know that they do not use the Esotar tweeter but that it is a dual magnet design. Also, the woofer uses a hybrid neodymium/ferrite magnet design. These were at one time specific to the 1.3 SE but I realize that the technology probably trickled down into other models.

In my own side by side test they handily beat the original 1.3 on not only low level detail but on transient response, smoothness, naturalness, refinement, bass response and all out volume. How do the 1.3 SE drivers compare to the newer Focus, Contour and for that matter the Consequence series of speakers?

In a smallish 12'x15' room where should I look in the Dynaudio line for my future upgrade and which model should I consider?

It's Mick, but I will forgive you this time. What was learned in the production and implementation of the drivers in the 1.3SE was carried over and perfected for the current Contour series. The current Contour 1.4 is not only a huge improvement over the old 1.3MKII but is also an improvement over the 1.3SE. The drivers were not the only advancement over the 1.3SE, the crossovers and cabinets were redesigned and improved quite substantially. The 1.3SE was a very good speaker but one would expect the kind of advancements we have made with the 1.4. The current Focus line would be the modern equivilant to the older Contour series. The current Confidence series has no real predecessor and was developed from what we learned in the Evidence Master.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #5406 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1066 View Post

I agree. I equate Dynaudio to a classic restaurant. It's a tradition that goes about its business, not getting caught up in the trends like beryllium.

You guys are making me hungry! Capitol Grill sounds really good right now.

Mick Tillman
post #5407 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2Dyn View Post

Well, it looks like the ultra-exclusive automotive install has been revealed...the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport!

For a cool $2 mil. you get 4 Dynaudio drivers and 300 watts. Kudos to Dynaudio for landing such an exclusive install. However, I just can't help thinking what kind of a home theater I could instead put together for that kind of coin.

It is quite an accomplishment considering the environment we had to work with and the Db level that is produced by the Quad Turbo 1001 Horsepower motor. This one benefit of our relationship with Bugattis parent VW.

Mick Tillman
post #5408 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1066 View Post

Looks like there is a stair landing right behind his TV setup, thus prohibiting moving it outward.

That's correct; I am pretty much maxed out with respect to speaker size, placement and space. Even the Contours are a bit much for the size space I have; C1's would be ideal from a theoretical perspective, but I like a more full-range sound.

-Louis Pasteur
post #5409 of 24220 Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

You guys are making me hungry! Capitol Grill sounds really good right now.

I ate at the Capitol Grill in the Conrad hotel in Indianapolis. Then Dave Matthews and his band arrived at the hotel. That was during the Brickyard last year.
post #5410 of 24220 Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM

I thought I would share a few pictures with the forum regarding the launch of the new Porsche Panamera complete with Burmester System. Take a look at our setup pictures and active display for tonight's (10/14) event at the Porsche Exchange in Chicago.

(Do the speakers look familiar?? Thanks to Dynaudio for their support of these exciting events.)

Attachment 155144

Attachment 155142

Attachment 155143
LL
LL
LL

Tyler Mueller

Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
post #5411 of 24220 Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

I thought I would share a few pictures with the forum regarding the launch of the new Porsche Panamera complete with Burmester System. Take a look at our setup pictures and active display for tonight's (10/14) event at the Porsche Exchange in Chicago.

(Do the speakers look familiar?? Thanks to Dynaudio for their support of these exciting events.)

Attachment 155144

Attachment 155142

Attachment 155143

Just gorgeous pictures and speakers, Burmesters look fanatstic and I've heard an all-burmester system and it sounded heavenly, Sapphire and Nordost odin? How did it sound? Should be interesting since Burmesters cd player was quite warm and euphonic.
post #5412 of 24220 Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just gorgeous pictures and speakers, Burmesters look fanatstic and I've heard an all-burmester system and it sounded heavenly, Sapphire and Nordost odin? How did it sound? Should be interesting since Burmesters cd player was quite warm and euphonic.

Those white Sapphires are stunning.

-Louis Pasteur
post #5413 of 24220 Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

More feedback from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest-

http://www.avguide.com/blog/rocky-mo...s?src=Playback

Mick Tillman
post #5414 of 24220 Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight View Post

Yes, time for class - you still have a lot to learn, and maybe get some class as well while you're at it. Your generalisations reflect must too simplistic thinking. Judge quality by the sound not place of manufacture.

I apologize oh so deeply for my offense. I guess that when you were twenty you had the utmost in class (and experience)?

Sorry gentlemen, I felt the need to respond to this cutdown.

I don't think ZeroEight has a clue about how I earned my money so as to afford my current equipment. I started working on a farm in Hudsonville, MI when I was eleven years old. I've cut lawns, firewood you name it for money. My parents have both worked for companies that "sold out"., my father for CSX Transportation, my mother for Nelson Metals.

I fully support first world countries that believe in giving back and contributing to their citizens well being. No, the USA is not perfect but its citizens can and do make great products, as do the citizens of Japan, Germany, Denmark,etc., etc. Notice that these are countries that pay a living wage, not just pennies per hour.

I will add that you were the only person to make such a derogatory comment from this great thread. I was admittedly a bit coarse but I have been affected personally by the wh*#$ng of quality manufacture to China (among elsewhere).

Mick, sorry about getting your name wrong. Thank you for the information about the 1.3 SE. I have listened to the Focus 140s and do think that they sound better(in some ways) than the Contour1.3 MkIs and MkIIs. I think that the 1.3 SEs though sound quite substantially better than the Focus 140s.

You have piqued my interest in scoping out some Contour 1.4s in black laquer to see how they compare. In the end though I think that I will stay contented with being a "poor" college student with a kick butt pair of speakers until the day that I can afford a pair of Confidence C1s (black laquer of course).

BTW: I have been working my way through every post on this thread when I can. One by one. Eventually I will be up to speed.

Thanks again everybody!

Earl

sO
post #5415 of 24220 Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

More feedback from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest-

http://www.avguide.com/blog/rocky-mo...s?src=Playback

Mick, will the Consequence be on display at CES? It would be nice if it were in the Wadia room. Or in the Octave room, if there is one.
post #5416 of 24220 Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize oh so deeply for my offense. I guess that when you were twenty you had the utmost in class (and experience)?

I don't think ZeroEight has a clue about how I earned my money so as to afford my current equipment. I started working on a farm in Hudsonville, MI when I was eleven years old. I've cut lawns, firewood you name it for money. My parents have both worked for companies that "sold out"., my father for CSX Transportation, my mother for Nelson Metals.

I fully support first world countries that believe in giving back and contributing to their citizens well being. No, the USA is not perfect but its citizens can and do make great products, as do the citizens of Japan, Germany, Denmark,etc., etc. Notice that these are countries that pay a living wage, not just pennies per hour.

I will add that you were the only person to make such a derogatory comment from this great thread. I was admittedly a bit coarse but I have been affected personally by the wh*#$ng of quality manufacture to China (among elsewhere).

Mick, sorry about getting your name wrong. Thank you for the information about the 1.3 SE. I have listened to the Focus 140s and do think that they sound better(in some ways) than the Contour1.3 MkIs and MkIIs. I think that the 1.3 SEs though sound quite substantially better than the Focus 140s.

You have piqued my interest in scoping out some Contour 1.4s in black laquer to see how they compare. In the end though I think that I will stay contented with being a "poor" college student with a kick butt pair of speakers until the day that I can afford a pair of Confidence C1s (black laquer of course).

BTW: I have been working my way through every post on this thread when I can. One by one. Eventually I will be up to speed.

Thanks again everybody!

Earl

sO

Earl,
Don't sweat it, I have been called worse(mostly by my wife!).

Mick Tillman
post #5417 of 24220 Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again everybody!

Earl

sO

Anyone 20 years old who can use "piqued" intelligently in a sentence these days is okay in my book.

Just food for some thought; my guess is that some folks might have the view that the real world is more shades of gray than black and white, cut or dried.

As for manufacturing in China; it is a business fact of life, my advice, put forth as gently as possible, is to deal with it. The facts are that America is no longer a manufacturing-based economy, and consumer's demand for commodoties at today's prices is such that these commodities are too expensive to manufacture in the U.S.

-Louis Pasteur
post #5418 of 24220 Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Here are a few more photos that I thought might be of interest to the group. We spent last night unveiling the new Porsche Panamera at the historic Salisbury House & Historic Garden in Des Moines. Take a look at how beautiful the amber Sapphires look flanking the Burmester stack!
LL
LL

Tyler Mueller

www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
post #5419 of 24220 Old 10-18-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess this was the "second" unveling of the Porsche Panamera, because I saw it unveiled in August at the Monterey Historic races at Laguna Seca!

Those Sapphires are stunning! They go really nicely with the tan leather in the Panamera!

-Louis Pasteur
post #5420 of 24220 Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM

oh man, the white sapphires are gorgeous...
post #5421 of 24220 Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree; the white Dynaudio Sapphires are simply beautiful. (We are sure lucky to have acquired the only pair in the US!)

Tyler Mueller

www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
post #5422 of 24220 Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I agree; the white Dynaudio Sapphires are simply beautiful. (We are sure lucky to have acquired the only pair in the US!)

Show off! Can't wait to see/hear them this weekend bro!
post #5423 of 24220 Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree they are beautiful, but I think the amber Sapphires are even prettier.

-Louis Pasteur
post #5424 of 24220 Old 10-20-2009, 02:48 AM

Gentlemen,

I went ahead and bought the Dynaudio X16 + Dynaudios X22 center.

Since before I owned a Pioneer SC-07 (LX81 in Europe) receiver which is doing a wonderful job in 5.1 audio when watching movies. But in 2 channel music listening I think the sound is a bit flat and I lack the punch specially in the mid bass register.

Dynaudio owners: What 7.1 (or 6.1) receiver can you recommend me that is able to manage the Dynaudio X16 in both music and movies? What is your experiences with different receivers?

Or would you recommend me to get a separate amplifier to deal with 2 channel music listening?

My apologies if this subject has, which I am sure it has, been discussed in any of the other 5000 posts.
post #5425 of 24220 Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookaloo View Post

Gentlemen,

I went ahead and bought the Dynaudio X16 + Dynaudios X22 center.

Dynaudio owners: What 7.1 (or 6.1) receiver can you recommend me that is able to manage the Dynaudio X16 in both music and movies? What is your experiences with different receivers?

Or would you recommend me to get a separate amplifier to deal with 2 channel music listening?

My apologies if this subject has, which I am sure it has, been discussed in any of the other 5000 posts.

Congrats on the Excites. As far as a receiver and or separates are concerned, it really depends on your budget. Have you considered an integrated amp with an HT-bypass mode? This could be a cheaper approach. Good luck.
post #5426 of 24220 Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Check NAD out. Their receivers have great power amplifier sections and Dyn recommend them for use with their products. They are capable of driving Dyns at levels that many AV receivers struggle to. NAD have always been great bang for your buck if sound quality is preferred over spec list. However, if budget is not an issue, separate pre and power amps are usually preferable.

Have a listen and all the best : )
post #5427 of 24220 Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM

Any opinions on synergy between Dyns and CD/SACD players? I plan to upgrade soon, and am debating between Wadia and Esoteric to run Bel Canto Ref1000s and my C1s. Or maybe the McIntosh MCD500. Something that sounds great, but also has digital inputs.

Thanks in advance

Jon
post #5428 of 24220 Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi...

I would like to know your experience about speaker placement. I have Excite x32 but seems they sound little boomy, so my question is how far from back or side wall do I have to put them???

TNX
post #5429 of 24220 Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post

Hi...

I would like to know your experience about speaker placement. I have Excite x32 but seems they sound little boomy, so my question is how far from back or side wall do I have to put them???

TNX

I've had good luck with Cardas' recommendations -- measure your room width (RW), then:

Speaker to Side Wall = RW x .276
Speaker to Rear Wall = RW x .447
Speaker to Speaker = RW x .447

And my C1s are toed in pretty heavily. The best listening position seems to be somewhere between 6' and 8' from the speakers.
post #5430 of 24220 Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jon-

I ran a Sony XA-900ES SACD player ($2000) for a while with the Bel Canto's & C1s. While its not a bad player, fast transients, and sufficent detail to run well with the Bel Canto's & C1s, I started to have issues with reading some SACDs. Since I needed to simplify my setup (due to waf and not enough time for critical listening), i'm using the OPPO BD-83. Its not a "bad" multiuse player. If i had time for serious listening, i'd look at the dCS Puccini CD/SACD Player (for serious $$$, very nice player and loads of detail, plus STUNNING Looks!!). For more "reasonable" prices, I have always had a thing for the lush sounds of the Marantz, perhaps the SA-7S or SA-11S. The Esoteric X-03 would also be nice. However, i haven't gotten any time with th Esoteric, and only minor time with the Marantz. Since these are not really an option now, I'd have to do some in home auditions if i were spending that kind of $$$. Not sure which have digital inputs...sorry....

I have always been able to hear a difference between SACDs and CDs, IMHO its much more significant on classical music, not the heavily processed "pop" type music. Having a collection of both SACD and CDs, i have given up looking for just SACDs preformances and choosing the more noteworthy preformances. Yes, the SACD is a plus, but the preformance is simply more important (to me). It really depends on what your looking for, something to smooth out the quickness of the Bel/Dynaudio combo or something to augment it. Some CD/SACDs can be BRUTAL on a detailed system. So what are you looking for?

Cheers
-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page