Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Newbie
 
joe6pak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Three Brothers Ar.
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey BigHat.

I own a pair of C3s. How do they compare to the C2s? Thanks.
joe6pak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

I know youa re asking him specifically but I have mine temporarily set up with the speakers 6 ft apart and approx. 6 feet from the listening position. This is the recommended setup by Dynaudio in the manual for hte Focus series. What is everyone else using for placement?

My Audience 52's are about 6 feet apart and the listening position is about 8 - 9 ft. away. I have found that listening at a distance equal to or larger than the distance between speakers works very well, particularly for my Dynaudios. I have a very solid stereo image, even when I sit off center. The speakers disappear and soundstage expands beyond the left and right positions.
Ron Alcasid is offline  
post #543 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arlington, VA 22204
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pak View Post

Hey BigHat.

I own a pair of C3s. How do they compare to the C2s? Thanks.

I like the C3s quite a bit. Seemed to me to have a monitor soundstage with a bit more bottom end. They are now my rear speakers in the HT. C2s blow them away in just about every measure. Of course, the C2's price is much higher, they are more complex and the cabinet volume is larger too.

One man's opinion. Have had the C3s for 4 years and the C2s and Confidence Center since Feb.
BigHat is offline  
post #544 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Member
 
cjstepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Champaign, IL USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

If they are 6 feet apart, how far are they from your listening position?

Right now it's about 7.5 feet to each of the speakers from my listening seat. In the original setup, they may have been slightly further apart then they were from where I was listening. The left one is three feet out from the side wall and they are both just over 2 feet out from the rear wall (as measured to the back of the cabinet, not the drivers).

I'll be fine tuning from here and may be able to spread them out a little more after clearing out some of the excess furniture...we've been moving lots of stuff around to replace paneling and paint in the area.
cjstepp is offline  
post #545 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Newbie
 
joe6pak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Three Brothers Ar.
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks BigHat.

I really like my C3s. They do have a surprising bottom end for their size. I have heard the C4s and really did like those. They were in a almost perfect room with some very expensive Krell stuff so it was no surprise just how great they were. I will someday demo some C2s. I really wish you would have said " The C2s suck, do not waste your money " but I was pretty sure you would not say that.

The thing about the Dyns I have heard, is that from bottom to top, the all do a good job. The first time I heard some Dyns was a demo of some Audience 72s. I remember thinking that I wish I was in the business of selling those. They had a lot to offer for their cost.
joe6pak is offline  
post #546 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Member
 
bobbyg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So a little while back I auditioned a pair of Focus 110s and the 140s and was very very impressed. I was blown away by what a speaker this size is capable of (currently i'm running Paradigm Studio 20s, and the Dynaudios outclass them in every possible dimension). The other speaker I'm very curious about is the Aerial Acoustics 5B, and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience auditioning the Aerials. My dad has Aerial 7B floorstanders and they are absolutely fantastic speakers, and I really like their sound. But Aerial's are pretty tough to audition, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the 5B's vs. Dynaudio monitors. (there's a pair of Birdseye Maple 5Bs on audiogon right now that are very very tempting...) Another things to keep in mind I suppose are that the Aerials may be more power hungry than a set of Focuses... Currently I run an Arcam AVR300, which is what I demoed the Dyns on, and it seemed quite capable of making them sing (I know that more is better, and down the line i can easily see adding an external amp, but I would want to use the Arcam with the speakers for at least 6 months). A final consideration would be the quality of the center channel, as i'm interested in building a home theater set up. Aerial's centers are very highly regarded, and I know my father's CC5 is really best in class, and the smaller CC3B is supposed to be extremely good as well. Is the Focus center more of an afterthought to try and roundout a 5.1 system, with their mains being Dyns major priority, or is it really a standout performer? (for one thing, it's absolutely TINY compared to the Aerial centers). (ps, sorry if this post is a bit confused, i'm in a big rush, but wanted to finish up the post quickly). Thanks guys.
bobbyg1983 is offline  
post #547 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg1983 View Post

So a little while back I auditioned a pair of Focus 110s and the 140s and was very very impressed. I was blown away by what a speaker this size is capable of (currently i'm running Paradigm Studio 20s, and the Dynaudios outclass them in every possible dimension). The other speaker I'm very curious about is the Aerial Acoustics 5B, and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience auditioning the Aerials. My dad has Aerial 7B floorstanders and they are absolutely fantastic speakers, and I really like their sound. But Aerial's are pretty tough to audition, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the 5B's vs. Dynaudio monitors. (there's a pair of Birdseye Maple 5Bs on audiogon right now that are very very tempting...) Another things to keep in mind I suppose are that the Aerials may be more power hungry than a set of Focuses... Currently I run an Arcam AVR300, which is what I demoed the Dyns on, and it seemed quite capable of making them sing (I know that more is better, and down the line i can easily see adding an external amp, but I would want to use the Arcam with the speakers for at least 6 months). A final consideration would be the quality of the center channel, as i'm interested in building a home theater set up. Aerial's centers are very highly regarded, and I know my father's CC5 is really best in class, and the smaller CC3B is supposed to be extremely good as well. Is the Focus center more of an afterthought to try and roundout a 5.1 system, with their mains being Dyns major priority, or is it really a standout performer? (for one thing, it's absolutely TINY compared to the Aerial centers). (ps, sorry if this post is a bit confused, i'm in a big rush, but wanted to finish up the post quickly). Thanks guys.

No experience with the Aerials but I can tell you the Focus center is pretty amazing. It plays very low for a center and in fact has a frequency response that is better than both the Contour SC and SCX... Great power handeling capability as well.

I also have a shameless plug. I am local to you and do have a pair of Focus 140's that I am considering letting go. If you find yoruself interested drop me a private message and we can go over details...
dynfan is offline  
post #548 of 22836 Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Member
 
ajhoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not yet an owner, but I hope to be soon. My question is this: I know that the Focus 140s are not set up to bolt directly to the dynaudio stands. I have two labs who get wild from time to time and I would be very worried about them knocking the speakers off the stands. Any suggestions on how to make a secure attachment to the stands without drilling into the speaker cabinets?

Thanks!
ajhoop is offline  
post #549 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Member
 
kevinacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg1983 View Post

So a little while back I auditioned a pair of Focus 110s and the 140s and was very very impressed. I was blown away by what a speaker this size is capable of (currently i'm running Paradigm Studio 20s, and the Dynaudios outclass them in every possible dimension). The other speaker I'm very curious about is the Aerial Acoustics 5B, and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience auditioning the Aerials. My dad has Aerial 7B floorstanders and they are absolutely fantastic speakers, and I really like their sound. But Aerial's are pretty tough to audition, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the 5B's vs. Dynaudio monitors. (there's a pair of Birdseye Maple 5Bs on audiogon right now that are very very tempting...) Another things to keep in mind I suppose are that the Aerials may be more power hungry than a set of Focuses... Currently I run an Arcam AVR300, which is what I demoed the Dyns on, and it seemed quite capable of making them sing (I know that more is better, and down the line i can easily see adding an external amp, but I would want to use the Arcam with the speakers for at least 6 months). A final consideration would be the quality of the center channel, as i'm interested in building a home theater set up. Aerial's centers are very highly regarded, and I know my father's CC5 is really best in class, and the smaller CC3B is supposed to be extremely good as well. Is the Focus center more of an afterthought to try and roundout a 5.1 system, with their mains being Dyns major priority, or is it really a standout performer? (for one thing, it's absolutely TINY compared to the Aerial centers). (ps, sorry if this post is a bit confused, i'm in a big rush, but wanted to finish up the post quickly). Thanks guys.

Owner of Dynaudio s3.4s here...

I've listened to the Aerial 5Bs several times. They are fantastic speakers - super smooth and coherent. A touch on the dark side. Fairly similar house sound to Dynaudio, in fact.

I have no experience with the Focus series, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. As always, let your ears be the judge...

Kevin Acker
Washington, DC
kevinacker is offline  
post #550 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving up the Dyn ladder if you will.

Contour vs. Confidence.

Opinions, real life experience or any pearls of wisdom available?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

mmiles is offline  
post #551 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Moving up the Dyn ladder if you will.

Contour vs. Confidence.

Opinions, real life experience or any pearls of wisdom available?

My limited listening experience was the the confidnce was that much more refined than the contour. Not sure which specific models you are looking at within the range, however I think the real difference is the Esotar tweeter. So if you are looking at the ocntour 5.4's then it utilizes the esotar, but if you are looking at anything in the contour lines less than the 5.4's then that is where the difference are shown.

This also comes down to budget. Are the confidences "THAT" much better, let your ears and wallett decide.
dynfan is offline  
post #552 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Moving up the Dyn ladder if you will.

Contour vs. Confidence.

Opinions, real life experience or any pearls of wisdom available?

Contour S1.4 vs Confidence C1 - HUGE step up. Not even close! The Esotar2 tweeter is perfection.

Contour S5.4 vs Confidence C2 - If you are a music lover, there are things that the C2 does better than the S5.4, BUT the 5.4 is a very dynamic speaker and can do home theater with the best of them.

Now once you get into the Confidence C4 you are in another realm altogether. Arguably one of the finest speakers on the planet. Definately likes some breathing room for all those drivers to integrate properly, but once you have them dialed in, thats about as good as it gets.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #553 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So last weekend I received my Contour S1.4's and had a chance to compare them to the Focus 140's and Contour 1.3MKII. After some serious listening I have more points I would like to make on the differences between these speakers.

Contour 1.3MKII- Great monitor compared to MANY others. Even though they a fairly old design, they still rock. Good bass response, refined un-offensive tweeter, and all around great performer. Compared to some of the newer Dyn. designs it shows it's age a bit.
Cabinets on these speakers are probably the best of the three. Thick veneer's, rich beautiful real wood finish.

Focus 140- Amazing speakers for the $$$. Dyn. might be in trouble in terms of their performance compared to the much more expensive Contour line. They are VERY close in a lot of ways! Bass response is amazing out of these things. Tweeter is great and after some more serious listening I prefer them to the 1.3MKII in every way. These speakers also have great power handeling capabilites and frequency response that is statistically better on paper than the contour and audience.... Barn burner of a performer.
Cabinet is very nice, although on the plain side. Rosewood is very striking on these speakers and has a lot of red in it!

Contour s1.4- Very refined presentation vs. the older contour and the Focus line. While the Focus comes very close the 1.4 trumps it in midrange detail. I also feel that while they not be as "bass heavy" as the Focus they have better tonal quality and perhaps more impact in the lower frequencies. Out of the three pairs these are the speakers for me. They do lots of stuff right and very little wrong.
Cabinet is insanely solid. Metal baffle is a love or hate type of relationship. Rosewood is much darker than on the other two speakers.

Thus I am choosing the Contour line for my setup and have already sold off the 1.3's and have a potential buyer for the Focus 140's. The Focus are amazing! If I was smart with my money I would buy 2 more sets to complete my room, but if I am posting pictures with 3 sets of dyn.'s that I purchased for listening, then obviously that is not the case....


I just picked up a pair of Contour SR's for surrounds and will try to score a single 1.4 or Contour SC, so if anyone has one of these in Rosewood let me know.

Pics. from the day. Nice way to spend a Saturday and 15K!



dynfan is offline  
post #554 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

So last weekend I received my Contour S1.4's and had a chance to compare them to the Focus 140's and Contour 1.3MKII. After some serious listening I have more points I would like to make on the differences between these speakers.


Good choice on the Contours. The Focus 140s are an incredible value, and as you mentioned they come very close to the Contours, but at this point in the game we are paying for the little things right?

You are going to have an awesome system with the SRs and matching center.

I agree the metal baffle is a love it and hate it thing, but I love it. Like high-end modern furniture!

Whats the next upgrade after the speakers?
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #555 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Good choice on the Contours. The Focus 140s are an incredible value, and as you mentioned they come very close to the Contours, but at this point in the game we are paying for the little things right?

You are going to have an awesome system with the SRs and matching center.

I agree the metal baffle is a love it and hate it thing, but I love it. Like high-end modern furniture!

Whats the next upgrade after the speakers?

Sub and a pre-pro.... I like the Audio refinement but am curious about a few higher end models....

Also I am on the fence on what sub to buy. Dyn. sub 500, SVS PC ultra, HSU VTF3HO, Velodyne DD.....
dynfan is offline  
post #556 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Sub and a pre-pro.... I like the Audio refinement but am curious about a few higher end models....

Also I am on the fence on what sub to buy. Dyn. sub 500, SVS PC ultra, HSU VTF3HO, Velodyne DD.....

The Sub500 is AWESOME!
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #557 of 22836 Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

The Sub500 is AWESOME!

Any real world experience with any of the other above subs?
dynfan is offline  
post #558 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Any real world experience with any of the other above subs?

I know multitudes of people that have switched from Velodyne DD or the SVS stuff to JL Audio.

Im sure some converts can comment here. The JL is superior to the DD in every respect. But the Dynaudio 500 is an incredible product. Im sure the JL can achieve more SPL, BUT the Dynaudio is very tight and musical which sounds like its more your goal anyway with the type of setup you are running.

The Sub500 is capable of 18hz reproduction so it should give you plenty of output and musicality at the same time.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #559 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I know multitudes of people that have switched from Velodyne DD or the SVS stuff to JL Audio.

Im sure some converts can comment here. The JL is superior to the DD in every respect. But the Dynaudio 500 is an incredible product. Im sure the JL can achieve more SPL, BUT the Dynaudio is very tight and musical which sounds like its more your goal anyway with the type of setup you are running.

The Sub500 is capable of 18hz reproduction so it should give you plenty of output and musicality at the same time.

I am sur eit is plenty musical, I am just not sure of it's output capabilites. Guess I will have to buy one and find out...
dynfan is offline  
post #560 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Lagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Thus I am choosing the Contour line for my setup and have already sold off the 1.3's and have a potential buyer for the Focus 140's. The Focus are amazing! If I was smart with my money I would buy 2 more sets to complete my room, but if I am posting pictures with 3 sets of dyn.'s that I purchased for listening, then obviously that is not the case....

Nice choice on the new Contours, although they seem way too close to the sidewall for auditioning purposes. I'd move that couch about 3' to the left
Lagger is offline  
post #561 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hey Audioarchitect, you know I have JM Labs, but I was wandering around and ended up at dynaudio. It looks like they have a new(er) speaker line. The Compound. They look interesting. It looks like Dynaudio is making changes. I saw nothing on the Confidence or Evidence line. Just curious if you knew anything about them.
Edit:
Maybe I saw an old site that is still online. They may be legacy products. Sorry

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is offline  
post #562 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger View Post

Nice choice on the new Contours, although they seem way too close to the sidewall for auditioning purposes. I'd move that couch about 3' to the left

I couldn't agree more. This is just a temporary setup whil I work on my dedicated room! I would move it to the left but there is another couch in the way......
dynfan is offline  
post #563 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dynlunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike,
The Compound line is a very old series going back to about the early nineties. Beautiful products and they were priced around where the current Contour line falls.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
dynlunatic is offline  
post #564 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Mike,
The Compound line is a very old series going back to about the early nineties. Beautiful products and they were priced around where the current Contour line falls.

Thanks. They did look cool. Like I said, on the site I was on, it was hard to tell that they were an old series. I always did like the sound of Dynaudio. But I went in another direction. Thanks for the clarification. I have heard many Dynaudio speakers up to the Evidence line. They all sounded very nice.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is offline  
post #565 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Lagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

I couldn't agree more. This is just a temporary setup whil I work on my dedicated room! I would move it to the left but there is another couch in the way......

10-4. I just say that because that's how mine are set-up now, with about a 1.5' offset from the wall and it's entirely washed out from reflections, even with mad toe-in. Drives me crazy!
Lagger is offline  
post #566 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Contour S1.4 vs Confidence C1 - HUGE step up. Not even close! The Esotar2 tweeter is perfection.

Contour S5.4 vs Confidence C2 - If you are a music lover, there are things that the C2 does better than the S5.4, BUT the 5.4 is a very dynamic speaker and can do home theater with the best of them.

Now once you get into the Confidence C4 you are in another realm altogether. Arguably one of the finest speakers on the planet. Definately likes some breathing room for all those drivers to integrate properly, but once you have them dialed in, thats about as good as it gets.

AA,

How much breathing room on the Confidence C4?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

mmiles is offline  
post #567 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

AA,

How much breathing room on the Confidence C4?

It really a matter of the size of the room. The C4's will be best in a medium to larger sized room. It will be a little too much in a small room.

The C4 utilizes Dynaudio's DDC technology which eliminates up to 70% of floor and ceiling reflections meaning that it can be used with relative ease in a carpeted or hard floored room.

They are rear ported, so as with any rear ported speaker they are going to need a decent amount of space behind them for optimum bass accuracy. I would probably say 3 feet from the front wall (the wall behind the speakers) would be ideal.

Any speaker will generally sound better without side walls nearby which cause early reflections that can obscure low level detail. But toe in can help this problem.

I guess what it comes down to is that the physical presence of the C4s are best suited in larger rooms. The C2 however can be utilized in a little bit smaller room.

Also, the rumor flying around is that the new 30th anniversary speaker will be a floorstander thats priced between the C2 and C4 and features a completely unique design! The initial production run will be limited, so start saving your pennies now.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #568 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Audioarchitect, you know I have JM Labs, but I was wandering around and ended up at dynaudio. It looks like they have a new(er) speaker line. The Compound. They look interesting. It looks like Dynaudio is making changes. I saw nothing on the Confidence or Evidence line. Just curious if you knew anything about them.
Edit:
Maybe I saw an old site that is still online. They may be legacy products. Sorry

I do carry both Dynaudio and Focal - JM Labs, and both products are arguably the finest speaker companies on the planet.

I think you were looking at a really old product line.

Price-wise the direct competition to the 1027Be is the Contour S5.4. Both very very good speakers, and yet each has their own distinct character. Like wine, taste comes heavily into play here.

I will say that Dynaudio has an unmatched ability to sound completely seamless from 20hz to 20 khz. BUT, the Focal Be tweeter and sandwich cone driver technology is magical.

As always a good audition is a must!
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #569 of 22836 Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
audio, do me a favor and check your PM. Just so you know, I have heard much of the Dynaudio line. I liked everything I heard. But, what I really liked would have looked to overpowering in my room. They do make an outstanding speaker and should be on anybody's list for audition.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is offline  
post #570 of 22836 Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthemAVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I do carry both Dynaudio and Focal - JM Labs, and both products are arguably the finest speaker companies on the planet.

I think you were looking at a really old product line.

Price-wise the direct competition to the 1027Be is the Contour S5.4. Both very very good speakers, and yet each has their own distinct character. Like wine, taste comes heavily into play here.

I will say that Dynaudio has an unmatched ability to sound completely seamless from 20hz to 20 khz. BUT, the Focal Be tweeter and sandwich cone driver technology is magical.

As always a good audition is a must!

This is true, I heard both in AudioArchitects showroom. Both very nice, I would say the Focal is a little more in your face, and Dynaudio is more laid back sound. It all depends on what you want.

Michael
AnthemAVM is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off