post #31 of 22837 Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

What a great find. A very interesting read indeed!

Dang this looks familiar. I may just have this at home. I'll have to check this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 22837 Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Just out of curiousity, do the Dynaudio speakers sell cheaper in the states than they do in Denmark? I know they have a hefty VAT tax over there but was curious as I may be going over there in the next year or so.
post #33 of 22837 Old 07-22-2006, 12:01 AM

I would have to say i'm a Dynaudio fan as well. I have Dynaudio in my car - MD-130 tweeters ("Esotec") and MW-160GT run active from a Butler TDB-475 amp, and a Pioneer P9 combo head unit. I was placed 2nd in my first car audio competition less than 2 weeks after completing install. The next time I entered I was placed first.

I heard the Confidence C5 home speakers but it didn't quite do it for me. The fact that I had low powered valve amps for home audio didn't help, so I got something else.
post #34 of 22837 Old 07-22-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Dynaudio speakers NEED solid state in the home. Tubes simply do not possess the same control of the bass drivers like good solid state. Dynaudio tweeters are extremely neutral so there is no harshness when using large power class solid state gear. They have huge voice coils that are a hallmark design of all their speakers. Given the proper power there is almost no speaker in the world that will compete.

BTW I love their car speakers. That is an interesting combination with the Butler tube amps. I have heard good things about their 12v products. The best car audio system I have ever heard period was Dynaudio separates with Mcintosh car amps. WOW! If you have the dough I urge you to give the Mcintosh car stuff a shot.
post #35 of 22837 Old 07-22-2006, 02:12 AM

I have given McIntosh a shot. I had a Mac CD player and for a while had a borrowed Mac amplifier (can't remember the model number) in the car. The Mac amplifier was VERY fast with great dynamics. Superb imaging and really good stereo seperation. However, it's got a lean sound which I don't really like. The Mac CD player (a rebadged Clarion HX-D1) was similar - a lot of love treble but the mids were lean and it had almost no bass.

The Butler 475 is much better. The Butler is not a true valve amp, it has a valve input stage and MOSFET outputs. But it has a fatter midrange and a more approachable sound. Not as good stereo seperation as the Mac, but in a car I value frequency response more than imaging.

I would again rate the Pioneer P9 better than the Mac CD player. When I first installed it (EQ set to zero) it gave noticably better bass and better mids and yet could pull out the same amount of detail as the Mac. Now that I have equalized it the sound quality is to die for. Till today I still can't believe that I can get that kind of sound quality in a car. Of course it doesn't compare to my home system but it's still very good
post #36 of 22837 Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM

While not in the custom install league of your posts, next time you pass by a VW dealer take a listen to the Dynaudio system they put in the new Passats. 10 speakers, 600 watts and a couple of subs. SO nice that I want to switch my home system to Dynaudio,
Maggie.
post #37 of 22837 Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Back to topic...

My system:

Dynaudio Contour s3.4
Primare SPA 20 5 channel amp/processor
Primare V25 dvd (used only as CD transport)
Silspeak speaker cable

Will buy a centerspeaker in the contour series, but I want to find one used...

I love the sound of the contours. Have started to buy SACD to enjoy them even more...

[IMG]images%5Cprodukty%5CDynaudio%5C_dynaudio_s3v4_fotovelke.jpg[/IMG]
post #38 of 22837 Old 07-25-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Contour 3.4's are awesome speakers.

I am curious though how did you come by Primare equipment. Its good stuff but just not a typical pairing I have heard of.
post #39 of 22837 Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie View Post

While not in the custom install league of your posts, next time you pass by a VW dealer take a listen to the Dynaudio system they put in the new Passats. 10 speakers, 600 watts and a couple of subs. SO nice that I want to switch my home system to Dynaudio,
Maggie.

Surprisingly they are the same drivers as used in their aftermarket car speaker line. An absolute bargain considering ridiculous priced OEM options from BMW, Mercedes,etc.

I think this was a great idea on Dynaudio's part. Should stimulate interest in their home products.
post #40 of 22837 Old 08-01-2006, 03:40 AM

Before today I didn't even know Dynaudio had car speakers ... well, live and learn.

Anyhow, my setup:
A pair of Contour S 1.4's
Creek Audio 5350SE Amp
Creek Audio CD 50
Goertz cables

Before buying the Contour 1.4, I listened to Tannoy, ProAc and Dynaudio 52s. In the end the 1.4s just had more of what I was looking for. People do state that I picked up a very neutral or even a harsh combination, as all my parts are more for clear sound than softness and musicality.

I'm now upgrading my system so that the 1.4 will be my mains in the upcoming 5.1 (or just 5.0) system and 42s will be my center and backs.
post #41 of 22837 Old 08-01-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

The Contour 3.4's are awesome speakers.

I am curious though how did you come by Primare equipment. Its good stuff but just not a typical pairing I have heard of.

Primare is a danish/swedish company.
Over here in Sweden Primare it´s still exotic but not as exotis as it would have been in the states i guess.
The Spa20 reciever is considered powerful when compared to other recievers, but it costs more compared to others too... Very basic, very heavy 23kg, compact, no gadgets, very warm, consumes 70 watts in standby mode, quite stylish if I may say so. I think it drives the contour s 3.4 very well! Primare is quite often recommended when you have powerhungry speakers and need a multichannel integrated amp. Sound is transparent, bass very quick and deep. Upper register is soo much better then my old bi-amped Cambridge Audio setup.

Not sure here but I think the new contour series is a little bir less powerhungry when compared to its predecessors

Anyone here that has experience on the centerspeakers in the contour s series? Could I go with just any centerspeaker in the Contour series? Even the older ones?
post #42 of 22837 Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Well, I've always been an B&W fan for home theater but recently was shopping around for some small powered bookshelfs to do music duty for my home office. I think B&W's somewhat forward sound and metal dome tweeters work great for home theater but not so well for non-fatiguing music listening. I also didn't want the bulk of a pre-amp and separate power amp for the office so I had intended on listening to the Mackie HR824 studio monitors. While I was auditioning them I noticed Dynaudio had a small powered bookshelf mini studio monitor. I flipped the switch to listen to them and my God, I literally fell out of the damn chair when I heard piano jazz playing through them. Best of all, they were cheaper than the Mackies. They do not go extend quite as low as the Mackie's with their smaller woofer but in terms of resolution and imaging, I've never heard any speaker as good as these at this price point. I'm not sure how Dynaudio can afford to sell these things at $1,000. It's honest to God, a bargain considering you are saving money by not requiring a separate amp. I had never really considered Dynaudio before listening to them in Guitar World of all places. I'm amazed over and over again that something this small and reasonably priced can sound so good. They represent an even better value than Dynaudio's consumer Audience line and appear to use the same drivers (someone correct me if I'm wrong) They can also play quite loud without distortion, up to 115 db short-term. The tweeter seems to do an amazing job of being highly accurate and detailed without being fatiguing like my B&W 603s. If Dynaudio puts this much workmanship in their entry level studio monitors then I can only imagine how nice their other product lines must be. Since I use them on my computer desk I trim the midrange frequence switch down two decibles otherwise you get somewhat of a spike from the sound bouncing off the surface. This seems to flatten things out quite nicely.

One thing to be aware of though, is these have balanced connections only, so you have to either buy an XLR to RCA adapter to run sound from the source. I purchased a small Behringer mixer for about $50 that seems to not add any color to the sound and does a fine duty of being a small preamp.

If you are in the market for a small powered mini monitor that sounds a lot larger than it is, check Dynaudio BM5A out on their professional studio monitor website.
post #43 of 22837 Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM

The BM5A's have the Esotec D260 tweeter, which is different from the ones in the non-SE Audience series. The woofer is a 17W75XL I think. If you already have a good amp, the passive version, the BM5 Mk. II is out. It's good that you like the sound right away. It took me a while to get used to my monitors, but I like them now. Not as many people know about Dynaudio Acoustics, the pro audio division, but they make some really serious speakers higher up the line, like the Air 6, the Air 25, and the M3 (with the Esotar T330D's).

While you were at the store, how did the BM5A's compare? They have some healthy competition at their price point. For $1000 you can get the Mackie HR624A, the Event ASP6, and the flavor-of-the-month Adam A7's with those interesting Heil drivers. And then there's the passive BM15's for ~$1100.
post #44 of 22837 Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Liked: 14
Hmm, it'd be curious to know what kind of similar product from their home line those might be comparable to.
post #45 of 22837 Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post

Anyone here that has experience on the centerspeakers in the contour s series? Could I go with just any centerspeaker in the Contour series? Even the older ones?

The Contour SC matches tweeters with the 3.4's
The Contour SCx has the Esotar2 as found in the 5.4 and the Confidence line.
I find that most Dynaudio center channels work well with the mains because the motor structures of the woofers,midranges are very similar. The tweeters never draw attention to themselves unlike many speakers so as a result you can mix models with relative ease.

As far as amps go. I agree and disagree with the Primare. It is a high quality amp so it will make good music, but you can extract even more out of those speakers. Try a high powered offering from Bryston and then will sound incredible!
post #46 of 22837 Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Yuriv:

I listened to the Mackie's (which I was pretty set on buying) and that's when i listened to the Dynaudio monitors right next to them. To put it plainly, there was no comparison, yes the Mackies could go slightly louder and have a lower bass extension, they just sounded muffled in comparison and not nearly as open. I literally fell out of the damn chair when I heard piano jazz played over the Dynaudios the first time. It had so much presence and felt so tangible and I've never had this reaction from a loudspeaker. And at their price point I'm surprised Dynaudio doesn't market these at their home consumers as an active monitor with an unbalanced input instead of a balanced XLR input. It would be an incredible value.
post #47 of 22837 Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:

The BM5A's have the Esotec D260 tweeter, which is different from the ones in the non-SE Audience series.

Yuriv,

I believe the regular Audience line have the Esotec D260 tweeter. The SE have the Contour S model tweeter according to dynaudiousa website.

post #48 of 22837 Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Liked: 14
I did not believe the audience line had the esotec tweeter, I thought that was the SE models only.
post #49 of 22837 Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 AM

I found this on Dynaudio website regarding the Audience 122C:

Quote:
A newly developed tweeter and updated crossover network further improve performance. The 28-mm soft-dome tweeter is a shielded version of Dynaudio's renowned D260 ESOTEC tweeter and features a 4-mm die-cast front for maximum stiffness and a vented pole piece and rear chamber for excellent transient response. Working with the tweeter are two special 15-cm ESO-TEC woofers with 75-mm aluminum voice coils and one-piece molded diaphragms.

You guys are right and I misunderstood this statement. After reading this again, it looks like it's a new tweeter that is a shielded version of the D260.
post #50 of 22837 Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 AM

On their web site, it's not clear that all of the non-SE Audience series speakers use the D260. I can see why they would want a different shielded tweeter for a center channel that could be close to a CRT. Here's what they actually say for some of the other ones:

Quote:
The Audience 52 features a 75-mm aluminum voice coil and one-piece molded diaphragm in a 17-cm woofer that works with a 28-mm soft-dome tweeter providing clear, detailed and dynamic sound reproduction across the entire frequency range.

Quote:
Audience 82 The 28-mm soft-dome tweeter is an improved, customized version that incorporates many of the features of Dynaudio's renowned D260 ESOTEC tweeter. With a 4-mm die-cast front for maximum stiffness and vented pole piece and rear chamber for excellent transient response, the tweeter also utilizes magnetic fluid for exceptional power handling and damping.

There are some sources online that say that the Audience series tweeter is actually a variant of the D28/2, which is also very good. Some people even like it more than the D260. As you noted, the SE series have the new Esotec tweeters, which is newer than the D260. Their 17W75LQ woofers are nicer too.

My speakers came with one sheet that has a section that says spare parts references Please quote these references when ordering spares. It lists the replacement drivers and their part numbers. If yours came with a similar sheet we can find out what part it really is. The section continues, If you have trouble obtaining parts from your local dealer please contact Dynaudio

There are at least two dealers among us, right? Maybe they can look it up. Specifically, I want to find out what's in the regular A52, which I'm thinking of getting for one of my bedrooms. I've heard them before but I still want to find out about the drivers and how they compare to the BM series monitors.
post #51 of 22837 Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hi I just ran across this thread. I have a 5.1 Dynaudio setup as follows

A pair of Contour 3.3's for my mains
Contour 2.1 center
pair of Contour SR's. I went with these because the are much smaller than the 1.1's
2 Velodyne SPL=1200Rs