post #631 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post

Anybody have an opinion on whether to go with new 52SE or a year old used pair of Focus 140? Used 140s are about $100 more and are purportedly in excellent condition. Driving with an Arcam Solo (50wpc). Music runs the gamut but will often be played at low volumes. Unfortunately, have no practical way of listening to both prior to purchase.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks

Doug,

Although I have not heard the 52SEs I have a pair of 140s and would say spend the additional $100.00 for the 140s. I think if you look back in this thread you will see mention of that the 52SEs are somewhat bright in comparison to the 140s. If you can try to listen to both but I feel the 140s are the way to go.

I bought my pair from Wes (dynfan) and they are in perfect condition and already broken in. I will write a more indepth take on the 140s later as I work nights and need some sleep. But as a wise man said to me "Why sleep when you can listen to your kickass system", I have to agree.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Have you ever gotten to compare a Titan to the Aurora?

No

I prefer to use multiple powerful dual mono amps in place on one multichannel amp...

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #633 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
[IMG][/IMG]

SimAudio Aurora sitting on the top of the cabinet. There is also a Parasound Halo sitting in the cabinet, but I keep going back to the SimAudio.

Center fits perfect on the stand. Looks better than the book used for the last two weeks.

S1.4 used as Rears tell my SR come in, and they will then be the side speakers.

When the S5.4 don't cover it in the low end department, you call out this one for a little help. I just need to get a matching one for the right side.

post #634 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
System is beautiful! I love the Contour's in black ash. Which center base are you using and how do you like it?

Also are you using the Anthem as your pre-pro and which Fathom is that, 112 or 113?
post #635 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Doug,
But as a wise man said to me "Why sleep when you can listen to your kickass system", I have to agree.
Bill

Words of wisdom indeed!

Another vote for the 140's here!
post #636 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

System is beautiful! I love the Contour's in black ash. Which center base are you using and how do you like it?

Also are you using the Anthem as your pre-pro and which Fathom is that, 112 or 113?

I am using a D2, and I have a single F113, but will be adding a second after I put up some sound treatments.

Thanks for the kinds word.

Michael
post #637 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have had my Focus 140s on #2 stands in my system for a few days and could not be happier. I had a chance to listen to some music the past few days and enjoyed every minute of it. I listened yesterday for about 5-6 hours playing CDs from The Allman Bros (Fillmore East SACD), Pink Floyd (DSOTM SACD), Steely Dan (Everything Must Go & Aja), Donald Fagen (Morph the Cat), Dire Straits (Brothers In Arms and On Every Street), Joe Walsh (But Seriously Folks), Jeff Beck (Blow By Blow) and Diana Krall (The Girl In the Other Room SACD).

I have listened to Fillmore East many times since it being the first album I ever bought and the SACD version is the best mix I have heard to date. The SQ while playing Fillmore just fills my room (small as it is) the clarity, resolution, soundstage and bass response is just amazing out of a small monitor speaker. I can say the same for every other CD I played yesterday.

One other thing that I noticed is that after 5-6 hours of music at fairly high volumes I did not have one bit of listening fatigue. I can not say this in regard to many of the other speakers I have had in my system over the last few years. I was beginning to think it was my room and lack of acoustical treatments but the 140s changed that.

My system consists of a Anthem AVM 30 pre-pro, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp and a Consonance CD 120. All the listening I have done has been in two channel analog direct. Although not as a complex a system as some in this thread I feel it is a very solid system and with the addition of the 140s make it complete. I am waiting for the Focus 200C I bought from a friend to arrive and will be all set then.

I want to thank Dynfan (Wes) for selling me his mint pair of broken in 140s. And also thanks to AudioArchitect (Matt) for his time and advice on Dynaudio line. I had more than one conversation with Matt and wish he was my local dealer but we could not be any further away. I am on the east coast in Maine and Matt is on the west coast. So if anyone is in need of info. on the Dynaudio line and they are in the San Diego area give Matt a shout.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #638 of 23080 Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Words of wisdom indeed!

Another vote for the 140's here!

Especially when they are your words !

Bill

post #639 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 12:04 PM

I'm selling my B&W 700 series to save up money for other much needed purchases but then I found a deal on some Contour 3.0s online and started regretting my decision to get out of HT/critical listening in order to purchase other things...

With that said, what are some opinions on the contour 3.0s compared to the Focus 220? The contour 3.0s are discounted to $3000 which is the same price as the Focus 220. Is that a fair price?

Another question, how well does the contour 3.0 mate up with the SC center for home theater? Will I notice some sonic differences? The SC looks to be much smaller volume wise in comparison with the contour 3.0. Would a T2.1 be a better match for the 3.0s?

Finally, would 1.8 mk iis or 1.3 mkiis be good surrounds for the 3.0 and SC combination or would a complete Focus setup be much better?

I can't believe I couldn't stay away...
post #640 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough and the used Focus 140s I had my eye on got away. Anybody know of a pair available used? B-stock and demos also welcomed.
Thanks
post #641 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough and the used Focus 140s I had my eye on got away. Anybody know of a pair available used? B-stock and demos also welcomed.
Thanks

You should have asked us about that pair.... hehe we knew they were sold the same day they were posted. Audiogon isn't very secret anymore... Stuff sells within minutes of being posted if it is soughtafter gear! With that said I still would hold out for a pair of 140's...
post #642 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmittonz View Post

I'm selling my B&W 700 series to save up money for other much needed purchases but then I found a deal on some Contour 3.0s online and started regretting my decision to get out of HT/critical listening in order to purchase other things...

With that said, what are some opinions on the contour 3.0s compared to the Focus 220? The contour 3.0s are discounted to $3000 which is the same price as the Focus 220. Is that a fair price?

Another question, how well does the contour 3.0 mate up with the SC center for home theater? Will I notice some sonic differences? The SC looks to be much smaller volume wise in comparison with the contour 3.0. Would a T2.1 be a better match for the 3.0s?

Finally, would 1.8 mk iis or 1.3 mkiis be good surrounds for the 3.0 and SC combination or would a complete Focus setup be much better?

I can't believe I couldn't stay away...

The older contour series is a great speaker, however I think $3000 for a pair of 3.0's is a bit steep, unless they are brand new, I have seen 3.3's sell for less than that on Audiogon. For surrounds the 1.3's would be stellar as would 1.1's. I also would stay with a Contour center (original if possible and a T2.1 if not) if you chose the 3.0's.

The Focus are a dynamite performer, I only have experience with the Focus 140, but honestly they kick serious ass for the money!
post #643 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Ok, I know this is a Dynaudio thread - but would be interested if anybody has listened to the 52SE and the following speakers on the same electronics - Spendor S3/5SE; Monitor Audio Gold 10. I'll be using an Arcam Solo frequently at low volume. I'd love to hear your impressions of these three speakers as I can't hear them all at the same store.
Thanks
post #644 of 23080 Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I know this is a Dynaudio thread - but would be interested if anybody has listened to the 52SE and the following speakers on the same electronics - Spendor S3/5SE; Monitor Audio Gold 10. I'll be using an Arcam Solo frequently at low volume. I'd love to hear your impressions of these three speakers as I can't hear them all at the same store.
Thanks

I do carry Dynaudio and Monitor Audio so maybe I will chime in here. First off all, for the retail price of the Audience 52SE you might as well bite the bullet and go with the Focus 140s. The price is almost the same, nicer cabinet, newer drivers, better resale value, etc.

Now the Dynaudio are a completely different presentation than Monitor Audio. Dynaudio is seamless from top to bottom with no emphasis in between. Top end is neutral and grain free. Values depth and soundstage over forwardness. Music sounds natural and not like a recording.

Monitor Audio is a dynamic sounding speaker with some great bass. Midrange is nice and open but there is some definite forwardness. I believe theres a slight 4-5 db peak around the tweeter crossover region which gives it a slightly metallic character to vocals. Its a great speaker, but Dynaudio is MUCH easier to listen to with music. MA tends to cause fatigue over long periods of time. Then again most metal domers do this!!

You can definately listen to both, but I prefer the Dynaudios for sure!! Again though, I think you should spring for the Focus 140s. Trust me on this one.
post #645 of 23080 Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Ok - got the good answer on the MA. Anybody have any feedback on the Spendors vs the 52se or the Focus 140?
post #646 of 23080 Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Doug, I have no experience with the Spendors, so cannot provide any input.

As for the the Dynaudio 52se or the Focus 140? I have to agree with AA, that the Focus is the way to go. The 140's are just fabulous in appearence and sound. They are well worth the extra $$.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #647 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to introduce myself. I am Brad, owner of Premier Acoustic Lifestyles in Fort Myers, FL. we have a large display of Dynaudio speakers, from the Audience all the way into the Confidence line and soon going to be displaying a pair of Evidence Temptations (can't wait!) So i am pretty handy with my Dyn knowledge, any questions, ask or if your in the Fort Myers area stop in. We also carry MIT, Straight Wire, Denon, Arcam, Parasound, Simaudio, Thiel, and KEF.

239-693-0330

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #648 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

AnthemAVM,

Congrats this is one great system you have here.The JL Audio subs and Dynaudio speakers are a perfect match.

The SimAudio is another sure hit,blends to perfection with the Dynes. Each time I matched Contour series with SimAudio amps it was all good.

Good selection and match.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #649 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

True, true.... Dyn and Sim are like bread and butter, or the icing on a nice cake... Point being with Sim and Dyn you can't go wrong... my pride and joy setup in the showroom right now is the C2's on a pair of Simaudio Evolution W-7m monoblocks wth a Sim Evolution P-7 and Sim Evolution Supernova CD player with MIT Magnum MA interconnects and speaker cables.... (by the way MIT Maggy MA's make for a a killer sound stage and imaging unlike you have ever heard, i've been though a ton of cables too!!) The system we just sold was a pair of C4's on Sim W-10 750W monoblocks and a P-5 preamp with the Sim Supernova CD player and MIT MA interconnects.... pictures anyone???

Brad Bossman
post #650 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

pal1982,

I just googled MIT interconnects and got their 2007 price list. All I can say is you should get a "killer soundstage" for what they cost. The cost of some of the MA speaker cables is much more than I paid for my entire system. No offense but 20k plus for speaker cables is a little insane, but if you have money to burn why not.

Bill

post #651 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

pal1982,

Ah the SimAudio Evolution series power amps...ah comming home sweet home this summer! They should power my S5.4's in style. I have an eye onthe Confidence C4's ,some sweet speakers these C4's.

I became a fan for life fan of Dynaudio and SimAudio when I heard them matched at my place.After it was just rolling uphill. Musical to near OTL proportions...

post #652 of 23080 Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM

I'll like to know opinions on how Dynaudio Audience 72 will pair up with Naim Nait 5i. Will Nait 5i be able to drive the Dynaudio 72 optimaly ? Or should one go for higher power gears.

Regards,
Sourav
post #653 of 23080 Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

With this being said I can honestly say that I have heard many brands both Solid State and Tube with our speakers and could come up with a list of electronics a few pages long but on my affordable short list would be Musical Fidelity, Sim Audio, Arcam, Naim, Exposure, Krell(400xi) all of which have different characteristics but very enjoyable still. I am sure others on this thread could offer up more suggestions as to what to pair with Dynaudio.
Mick

I currently have the Special 25 and have used solid state and tube electronics. IMHO, the Special sounded best using the Audio Research VS110 power amp. Biggest difference in sound was in the bass department which now sounded deeper but quite controlled.
post #654 of 23080 Old 05-04-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamight View Post

I currently have the Special 25 and have used solid state and tube electronics. IMHO, the Special sounded best using the Audio Research VS110 power amp. Biggest difference in sound was in the bass department which now sounded deeper but quite controlled.

If Im not mistaken though Audio Research power amps are not true tube amps, they are hybrid designs with a tube input stage and a solid state driver/output stage. Or am I wrong here?

The McIntosh tube stuff actually sounds pretty good with Dynaudio. I recently played around with a Mac integrated and it was nice.

My new project however is Bel Canto. These little things kick serious butt. Ive been listening to some C1s on Ref1000s for about a week now, and I love the combination!

Good choice on speakers!
post #655 of 23080 Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

pal1982,

I just googled MIT interconnects and got their 2007 price list. All I can say is you should get a "killer soundstage" for what they cost. The cost of some of the MA speaker cables is much more than I paid for my entire system. No offense but 20k plus for speaker cables is a little insane, but if you have money to burn why not.

Bill

yes the cables are not cheap, but killer sound stage isn't even the right word, we are talking about like making a pair of C2's reach out a and grab you!

P.S. This is the system in the store, in the theater room, which is the best sounding room, acoustically, i put the C2's, W-7m's, P-7, Supernova. What you can't see... Contour SR, and 1.4, Parasound C2, A 51, A 21, D3, X-Box 360

Brad Bossman
post #656 of 23080 Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

I thought this would be fun to list some songs i found to sound really really awesome one the Dyns... plus besides the standard ref music (you know bad music that sounds good) his might for some of you be kinda fun... so give me some feed back again any questions or if you are in the Fort Myers area call me 239-693-0330...

Natasha Bedingfield- I Bruise Easily
Natasha Bedingfield- The One That Got Away
Fergie- Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)
Henry Mancini (the Ultimate Mancini CD)- Pink Panther Theme
Henry Mancini (the Ultimate Mancini CD)- Theme from Peter Gunn
Nickelback- Photograph
Nickelback- Fay Away ----THIS IS MY FAV ON THIS LIST!!! IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!--
Nickelback- If Everyone Cared

Just some fun songs!
Hope you like em!

Brad Bossman
post #657 of 23080 Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Well I have made a friend or two here in this thread so I am going to stretch the topic for just minute. My wife and I were expecting our first child to be born May 20th, all the while my wife has been measuring ahead and having pre-term contractions. As it turns out Baby Parker Joy could not wait around to be born and had to make her appearance early.... She was born on May 1st at 3:53P.M, weighing a healthy 7 lbs. 14oz. Mom and baby are doing OK at this point, trying to make sure baby is getting enough to eat and learning how to adjust our life to the new addition. I must say that I get a great feeling when I listen to my Dyn.'s but it will be even better to listen to them holding P.J. Here's a couple of pictures....

Mommy, Daddy, and P.J.

I will post Parkers impressions of the Dynaudio's once she gets around to hearing them.
post #658 of 23080 Old 05-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Congrats !! Proud Daddy I see.
post #659 of 23080 Old 05-05-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congratulations!
post #660 of 23080 Old 05-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Congratulations to you both!

Just want to chime in for a second and say that my Special 25s have been opening up the past couple of weeks and I tweaked their positioning just a little bit. They are dialed in and, boy, are they holographic...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page