Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Speakers > Dynaudio Owner's Thread
cjstepp's Avatar cjstepp 01:52 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Dear Fanatic,
What you may not know is that our home speakers use versions of the Esotec tweeters that are usually a generation or two AHEAD of the pro versions.

That was one of my concerns when I was shopping for a studio monitor. The BM6A is a very well respected monitor, but hadn't been updated in quite some time. I went with the passive 52SEs instead and have been happy so far.

My local dealer got a pair of the Focus 220s back in stock last week. They hadn't had much playing time yet, so I dodn't do too much serious listening, but they said they would make a priority of giving them playing time to get them ready to go. Looking forward to some serious auditioning later this week or next week!

CycloneMike's Avatar CycloneMike 02:36 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I just thought some people would like to see a picture of the SR compared the S1.4 speaker. I didn't realize how small these guys would be.

Michael

The real question is how they sound! As Mark Twain said (within reason!), "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Mike
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 04:33 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

That's fine, but I wouldn't put Meridian in the same category as Krell and McIntosh. I agree with you that I don't think they compare to Dynaudio (as far as my preferences, very few speakers do IMO), but Meridian's speakers are quite excellent compared with the market at large. Perhaps this makes them rare in terms of doing different things well, but the idea that a company *can't* do several things well is not good thinking. See especially the Paradigm group, which has been doing many things extremely well for a long long time. Where do you draw the line in terms of a narrow focus, according to your thinking that the more narrow the focus the better the product, then the fact that Dynaudio also makes its own drivers works against them.

Dynaudio is a speaker company. Doing their own drivers is part of creating a finished speaker product. This allows them flawless control over the design process, and is likely why I have not found a speaker that can compare to Dynaudio.

Though Paradigm has done a great job at high value speakers, again though not on the same level as a speaker-only company like Dynaudio or even Monitor Audio (if you prefer the brighter side), I think Anthem products are bested in "sound" by audio-only companies like Parasound Halo, Bryston, Arcam, Classe, etc. Keep in mind, I am an enthusiast before I am a dealer,

Lets move on.
dynomike's Avatar dynomike 05:39 PM 05-21-2007
Not to deviate from the current discussion, but has there been any further information released on the special 30th aniversary dyns? I remember reading that they were floorstanders, but do we know if they will be in line with the confidence series this time?
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 05:54 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomike View Post

Not to deviate from the current discussion, but has there been any further information released on the special 30th aniversary dyns? I remember reading that they were floorstanders, but do we know if they will be in line with the confidence series this time?

Last I heard, it will fall between the Confidence C2 and C4, however be totally different in design. It will be 100% a floorstanding design. It will be in extremely limited production, so get your preorders in now.

I think its slated for sometime in June. Mick can confirm.
zkaudio's Avatar zkaudio 06:41 PM 05-21-2007
anyone lookin for a pair of dinged up audience 82s for 1k?
ttowntony's Avatar ttowntony 07:52 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
special 30th aniversary dyns

I've seen it. Let's just say it's a rebirth.
pal1982's Avatar pal1982 08:11 PM 05-21-2007
where did u see them at?
ttowntony's Avatar ttowntony 08:14 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
where did u see them at?

I've said all I can say. I at least gave you a little hint.
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 08:40 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

I've seen it. Let's just say it's a rebirth.

Rebirth. Uh oh. Metal dome tweeter maybe. j/k
AnthemAVM's Avatar AnthemAVM 09:09 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

The real question is how they sound! As Mark Twain said (within reason!), "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Mike

The SR really suprised me, they give out some great surround sound. I can't wait to get them burned in.

My wife likes the look of them on the wall also.

Michael
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 09:29 PM 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

My wife likes the look of them on the wall also.

Michael

Thats perhaps the most important part.

Is the Aurora doing the trick?
Dynfanatic's Avatar Dynfanatic 12:21 AM 05-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Dear Fanatic,
FYi, all dynaudio tweeters below the Esotar's are called Esotec and have been for quite some time(Decades), what you may not know is that our home speakers use versions of the Esotec tweeters that are usually a generation or two AHEAD of the pro versions. The BM series and Dynaudio Acoustics in general are ceratinly the best pro speakers available period and the amps that are built in are awesome class A/B amps but compared to something like the Focus 140 and an integrated or separates from someone like Bryston or Sim, etc. the pro products won't bring you the same level of enjoyment. The tweeters in the 52SE and 72SE are a step above what is in the Audience but a step below what is in the Focus and all of them fall below the Contour, Confidence and Evidence.

Mick

Thanks for your informative inputs.
Now I'm very cleared what I'll have for my upgrades.
I still like the active monitor's simplification and convenience concepts (like all-in one design) very much though.

Best,
Teddy.
dynlunatic's Avatar dynlunatic 10:02 AM 05-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Rebirth. Uh oh. Metal dome tweeter maybe. j/k

Let's not say Dynaudio and Metal tweeter in the same sentence, just not going to happen thankfully. You are close on the 30th release date but actually it will be more like July and we will see actual pictures coming soon. The "30th" which it won't actually be called will be a complete departure from anything we currently have and will cause quite a stir when the competitors get a glimpse. I promise I will give you more as soon as I can guys.

Mick
ChrisWiggles's Avatar ChrisWiggles 10:10 AM 05-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio View Post

anyone lookin for a pair of dinged up audience 82s for 1k?

You can't solicit on the forum, there is a sales area for that, and there is audiogon, ebay etc.
cjstepp's Avatar cjstepp 05:04 PM 05-24-2007
My dealer's Focus 220s have had another week to burn in, so I stopped in for another listen. That was so not helpful Now I'm torn between the various strengths of the 220s as compared to the Contour S1.4s. I like the added impact of the Focus tower, but I'm drawn to the added detail and air of the monitors. When listening to the Contours, I do miss the added weight on the bottom end...but only a little. So, I'm currently leaning towards the Contour monitors.

I think the plan is to give them a little more time to break in the Focus 220s. Then I'll head back for another listen and add the Contour S3.4 into the mix. Perhaps that will give me a clue as to whether I prefer the S1.4 due to the improvements from moving to Contour line or if it is the advantages of two-driver monitors.
AnthemAVM's Avatar AnthemAVM 06:08 PM 05-24-2007
The S1.4 is a great speaker, I am always amazed at the sound that comes out of those little guys.

Michael
jing_nad's Avatar jing_nad 02:39 AM 05-25-2007
Hi, I would like to ask to all dyn owners here, what speaker cables are you using? Thanks you-arnold
wgerman's Avatar wgerman 07:22 AM 05-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing_nad View Post

Hi, I would like to ask to all dyn owners here, what speaker cables are you using? Thanks you-arnold

Along with Jing's question, has anyone here heard of Virtual Dynamics cable. It is hideously,embarrassingly, and grossly priced but it receives all kinds of praise on AudioAsylum and Audiogon. It seems to be the flavor of month.

Word has it Nordost is coming out with a insanely expensive cable called Odin,maybe Valhalla will be going for a discount now.
JeffNebraska's Avatar JeffNebraska 09:43 AM 05-25-2007
This is probably the wrong thread in which to voice this view, but I think high-end speaker wires are not worth the cash.

While I could believe there may be a slight performance upgrade from a $100 wire to a $1000 wire, I think you'd hear a bigger difference adding $900 to your budget for the speakers themselves.
ChrisII's Avatar ChrisII 10:59 AM 05-25-2007
Well after about a month of shopping I've narrowed down my speaker selection to 2 choices:
  • Dynaudio Audience 62
  • Focal 816V

These speakers have somewhat different sonic capabilities. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Dyns, but wanted some personal opinions too (audioreview.com has alot of users with very different opinions, so I'm a little confused.)

Anyway, I liked the authority of the Focals, but the Dyns just seem to play faster, quicker, more accurately.

In hopes somebody has these, I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris
AnthemAVM's Avatar AnthemAVM 11:57 AM 05-25-2007
I haven't heard the Audience or Focal 816V speaker you looked at, but can tell you when I compared Focal to Dynaudio other speakers. I prefer the Dynaudio as they have a more laid back sound, and the Focal was more in your face.

I look at it as the Dynaudio is like Jazz music, and Focal is like heavy metal music.

They are both great speakers, it really is what you want.
elderion's Avatar elderion 02:10 PM 05-25-2007
ChrisII,

I have listened to both speakers, and I would agreed with you.

The Audience 62 is more accurate, and this is the route I would recommend. You can always add a good subwoofer or two to fill out the lower octaves, but you can't compensate for lack of accuracy and clarity in the upper range. Honestly, there are very few speakers that can match the accuracy, soundstage, clarity, and imaging of the Audience line within its price range.

Good luck
will1066's Avatar will1066 08:37 PM 05-25-2007
Quote:

Nordost Blue Heaven II
AnthemAVM's Avatar AnthemAVM 09:17 AM 05-26-2007
Quote:

XLO Ultra 6 Speaker Wire

Audio 1's Avatar Audio 1 11:59 AM 05-26-2007
Originally posted by jing_nad:

Quote:

MIT Magnum M3
dynamight's Avatar dynamight 12:20 AM 05-28-2007
Quote:

Anti-cable by Paul Speltz.
Bill Mac's Avatar Bill Mac 08:10 PM 05-28-2007
I recently bought a Parasound A52 amp to replace my Boston Acoustics A7200 amp. I was looking for a amp that was a bit better with music and I had seen mention of the Halo line quite a bit in this thread.

I talked to Matt (AA) and asked him what he thought of the Halo line and he said they sounded great with Dynaudio speakers. With my room not being very big (13'd x 17'w with 8' ceilings) it was suggested that the A 52 would have plenty of power. I was lucky to find one on audio-gon at a very good price in excellent condition.

After a few modifications to my stand due to the A 52s depth I was ready to listen to some music. I can say without a doubt the A 52 is a fine sounding amp. The A7200 is no dog either but I found the A 52 to be more refined than the A7200. I have read a few threads on the forum debating the fact that all amps sound the same I would have to strongly disagree.

When I was demoing speakers before I decided on the Focus 140s I always took the same CDs with me. Donald Fagens: Morph the Cat, Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms, Diana Krall: Girl in the Other Room and Mark Knoflers Golden Heart. I have listened to select tracks from each of these discs many, many times.

After listening to the 140s for about a month with the A7200 I thought the sound was excellent but the A 52 takes SQ to the next level. The first thing I noticed was how much more authority the bass had and was dispersed somewhat more as well. The the soundstage also improved with more depth and width. I did my comparison with my Anthem AVM 30 in analog/direct using balanced connections and the same tracks that I mentioned earlier.

Overall I did not think the slight increase in power the A 52 had over the A7200 would be a factor but it did. I feel the best purchase for my system has been the 140s and 200C but the A 52 is right there as well. I was somewhat concerned that there would be little or no improvement in SQ between the two amps but I found that not to be true.

I would highly recommend the Halo line of amps for someone looking for an amp in the moderate price range. The look of the A 52 is a plus and it has very good build quality as well. I would like to thank Matt once again for his very knowledgable advice and help I very much appreciate it. (my apologies for the long post! )

Bill
AnthemAVM's Avatar AnthemAVM 08:30 PM 05-28-2007
Bill,

Matt let me audition the A52, it was a great amp. If you ever get a chance, try the SimAudio amps.
dynomike's Avatar dynomike 03:41 PM 05-29-2007
Hey guys, I am still jonesing for some info on the 30th anniversary models, spill the beans, no one will know
Tags: Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop