Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #991 of 23100 Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If the Contour s1.4's are anything like the bass with the Special 25's, the 1.3SE's or the S5.4's that I've heard, I'd say neither of your speaker options are any good for a small room where you're likely to have to have the speakers near the wall. I'd go for the sealed SR's and use a sub.

And don't discount the little SR's as rubbish. I actually own them along with the Special 25's and the 5.4's. The SR's have a nice warm balance. Once I purchased them they made me feel less than enamoured with my Special 25's. The SR's are nicely laid back which is great for small rooms. The Special 25's are quite forward in the midrange, plus they have to be 3 feet or so into the room to avoid bass boom. The S5.4s are balanced more like the SR's, but just a tad more forward. But they to have to well out into the room.

Regarding contour s1.4 vs s3.4 in a small room:

I can have the speakers approx 2" from the back walls. The room is approx 161 square feet. I will combine the s1.4 with a sub in the future. What's the best choice then???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 23100 Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 PM

I saw some discussion of Arcam amps/AVRs powering Dynaudios a few posts back and wanted to post my own question.

I recently purchased a set of Contour 1.4s and am using them in a fairly small room for both audio and video. I'm interested in upgrading my receiver and am looking at both the 280 and 350. I'd like to spend less money (all other things being equal!) and think I would be ok with the lower power (for now). I'm concerned about the lack of pre-amp outputs on the 280, though, as I could see adding a separate amp somewhere down the road and using the 280 as the pre.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned that the 280 will not have enough power for the Contours? Even if we eventually move and the listening room becomes larger?

Thanks for your thoughts.
post #993 of 23100 Old 07-01-2007, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Without hestitation go with the Confindence Center. Others here have the exact setup you are looking at....as well as I very shortly.

Concur. Confidence 2s with C Center here and really enjoy them. Perfect match.
post #994 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybase View Post

Regarding contour s1.4 vs s3.4 in a small room:

I can have the speakers approx 2" from the back walls. The room is approx 161 square feet. I will combine the s1.4 with a sub in the future. What's the best choice then???

I can't speak for the Contour 1.4s, but I own the Contour 3.4s, and I can tell you from experience that these speakers demand space from the walls. Put them too close, and you will get a horrible midbass bump. In my case, putting the foam plugs in the ports didn't help at all.

I have mine a good 5 feet from the back wall, and I still haven't been able to completely get rid of the midbass bump, though my room, while large, is a bit acoustically challenged.

Kevin Acker
Washington, DC
post #995 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaarani View Post

I have to disagree on this one. I listened both and prefered the 52's. I f was listening only jazz music I would have bought the SE-versions. But since that is just a part of the musical range I listen I decided to buy the 52's. If a familiar rock group does not sound as a rock group... well, that wasn't a bonus for the 52SE. It was just too smooth and lost the edge of the music.

Also later on I found out that the bass driver was meant for closed enclosures and because of this there was reports of bottoming problems.

Your info is incorrect, the bass driver was not meant for sealed enclosures, the speaker that it was designed for(1.3MKII) was a ported design.

Mick

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #996 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Your info is incorrect, the bass driver was not meant for sealed enclosures, the speaker that it was designed for(1.3MKII) was a ported design.

Yes, it seems I received wrong info. But it also seems to be true that the driver does not work as well in 52SE enclosure. Enclosure too small? Some kind of X-over problem? Well, one thing is 100% sure. I prefered the normal 52 when comparing those two It was just unfortunate I didn't have enough money at that time for Contour S1.4
post #997 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it seems I received wrong info. But it also seems to be true that the driver does not work as well in 52SE enclosure. Enclosure too small? Some kind of X-over problem? Well, one thing is 100% sure. I prefered the normal 52 when comparing those two It was just unfortunate I didn't have enough money at that time for Contour S1.4

I understand the popping problem and I admit we had a few people complain but I can assure you that in every case the 52SE's were being underpowered, we all know that it is much more common to under power than to overpower and in the case of a Dynaudio speaker there really is no such thing as overpowering. In the woofer popping cases that we were able to document all were trying to power the 52SE's with an inexpensive 8 ohm Japanese receiver and then trying to play them loud, not a good thing to do.

Mick Tillman
post #998 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Or you could have went with the Focus 140s.
post #999 of 23100 Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

...we were able to document all were trying to power the 52SE's with an inexpensive 8 ohm Japanese receiver and then trying to play them loud, not a good thing to do.

I know Onix A-120MkII is on the affordable side of amps but still it should be able to provide more than enough power for 52SE's. It is no ML or Krell but still... There were also reports on some forums about the same problem with Contour 1.3mk2. And that is using the same driver. I guess that could be googled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Or you could have went with the Focus 140s.

I think the Focus is too small step upwards. Yes, it is better but whys stop there? I've noticed I have to (about) double the price of my gear to get real improvement. But, I don't have to worry about upgrading my speakers for a while since I just upgraded my player and I'm planning to upgrade my amp. So there's no money left after my next purchase...
post #1000 of 23100 Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know Onix A-120MkII is on the affordable side of amps but still it should be able to provide more than enough power for 52SE's. It is no ML or Krell but still... There were also reports on some forums about the same problem with Contour 1.3mk2. And that is using the same driver. I guess that could be googled.

I think the Focus is too small step upwards. Yes, it is better but whys stop there? I've noticed I have to (about) double the price of my gear to get real improvement. But, I don't have to worry about upgrading my speakers for a while since I just upgraded my player and I'm planning to upgrade my amp. So there's no money left after my next purchase...

The Focus 140 is a huge step up from Audience but I do agree that going to the 1.4's is the best move.

The Onix was rated by Audioholics.com and was given an excellent review but if you notice that they say it will work for moderately sensitive 4 ohm loads which the 52SE is not necessarily. The 52SE, while presenting a very flat impedence curve, is not a moderately sensitive speaker and when you are trying to drive a speaker that has a 3 inch voice coil on the mid range you really want an amp with unquestionable current capability.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/onix-a-120mkii-integrated-amplifier/onix-a-120mkii-measurements-and-conclusion[/url]

Mick Tillman
post #1001 of 23100 Old 07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

I should be the proud owner of a Simaudio Titan-5 channel this time next week. I will have a chance to compare how it drives my Contour 3.4's, SC, and IP-17's as compared to my current Sherbourn 7/2100A. It is a used unit, but I guess it should be well broken in when I receive the monster.

I use the above speaker's for listening to DVDA and SACD's and implement a pair of Paradigm ADP's for the surrounds and the SA-17's are used for the rear's in my 7.1 setup.

The two issues I will have are as follows:

1. The Titan does not fit in my rack, but I do have floor space next to my setup that I can use with an amp stand.
2. If I end up preferring the Titan and sell the Sherbourn, I will need to pick up a 2-channel amp to drive either the ADP's or the IP-17's. I have an Audiosource AMP One/A that is 80W/channel into 8 Ohms / that I use for second room right now or I could use an Arcam Alpha 9P that is 70W/channel into 8 Ohm's that am bi-amping my bedroom stereo system with right now (I can easily drop the biamping). I think the Arcam Alpha to drive the surrounds would work OK, the main problem is that neither has a 12V trigger and I would need to teach my family how to push a button on something other than a remote!

I will report back my findings.

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #1002 of 23100 Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Hello all,

YOu guys have great group/thread going on here!
I cant believe I read the whole thread! Well almost, I skipped over a few pages from last winter...

I have a chance to bring home a pair of Focus 220's today for home demo. these are the ones I decided may be best for my needs and just so happens to be what my dealer has!
Its music first around here. We listen to all types of music from Bluegrass to electronica with almost all genres in between... So alot of regular redbook and recently some DVD-A & SACD with the upgraded gear.

If I like these, (witch I am assuming I will since I want a laid back non fatiguing sound with a large sound stage), I will get the center and later a pair of the 140's for rear surrounds (after I bit the bullet and sell some field recording gear)...

So here are my questions. Since so much (more that other speaker brands) attention is payed to powering Dynaudio's, is my gear sufficient???

I now have the Cary Audio Cinima 11 pre pro, NAD M55 universal player with two 4ch. Citation (H/K) 7.1 THX amps. They are rathed as being 4 x 130w @ 8ohms, 4 x 210w @ 4 ohms. And can be bridged to a two or three channel amp as well. In 2 ch. mode it is a whopping 2 x 400w @ 8 ohms bridged... Dont know what that would be in 4 ohms. Does not say. Im sure its a TON of watts!
But, since I now have rewired for 7.1 all channels but one are taken with nothing bridged... Will this be suficiant???

It is not in my buget right now to switch to better amps but I guess I could drive the fronts bridged, center bridged and have two unbridged and get a small 2 ch. amp fpr the side surrounds If I must at some point

I am really excited I get to hear the 220's (broken in) in a few hours.
post #1003 of 23100 Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Well.......
I guess the power seams good so far... Have not tried em bridged yet.

Boy these things are accurate! Very revealing. Sometimes a bit emotionless though. I believe I remember them being reffed to that way earlier in the thread... Dont get me wrong, I love them. I just cant decide if it is for me... I would bet I will not be able to get this level of detail and accuracy at this price. The accuracy is wonderful, I will play with placement a bit more through the week but I think I found the spot.

Dealers have any suggestion on what else I should try in this price range?

The hight of the speakers makes the soundstage a little low in my room. I put them on some Lovan 6" stands and everything blends better (gaining some "emotion") and raises the image where I am accustomed to it being but am uncomfortable with the stability.
Any suggestions for raising the image and or speakers???
post #1004 of 23100 Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Riggy,

What speakers and amp are you using?

Michael
post #1005 of 23100 Old 07-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any new news about the 30th anniversary speaker?
post #1006 of 23100 Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM

A-AVM,
The first post above my second one says it all...
Focus 220's and H/K Citation 7.1 amp

Since posting have realized that putting them up on the 6" stands with spikes has killed much bass and midrange... When the wife gets home I will have her help me take the spikes off the stands to see if that brings em back but keeps the image higher where I want it.

Edit: So that was a no go... I cant believe how much a nice pair of stands kills the bass and mid range of these things... Would custom made hard wood risers work like an extension of the floor, bringing the image up but keeping the characteristics of the sound??? Hmmmm...
post #1007 of 23100 Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would custom made hard wood risers work like an extension of the floor, bringing the image up but keeping the characteristics of the sound??? Hmmmm...

Why are you wanting to raise again? These should be at the right height as is when seated.

Quote:

Sometimes a bit emotionless though.

Hmmm? Dynaudio could be characterized as laid back of sorts, but not emotionless. I don't have any experience with the older Citation amps, but this might be a weak point in your system.?. Placement as with all Dynaudio's is key. Give yourself at least 2' off the back wall if at all possible and don't cram into a corner.

I have the Focus 220 in the showroom currently mated with the "little" Parasound Halo A23 and it drives these quite well with lots of "emotion".

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #1008 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Why are you wanting to raise again? These should be at the right height as is when seated.

Not all speakers have the tweeters at this hight.
I have owned Mirage OM6's for the past 7 years, have not heard much else in this house so we have come accustomed to the 'false' soundstage with the rear firing drivers making it tall, deep and wide. I like almost all the aspects of the 220's soundstage. I just felt it was a little low. Also when one goes to a live concert, the sound is taller than you not just at ear level and below... It just felt a little low with some CD's... I realize if I want accuracy I may have to get used to a different feel...
Quote:

Hmmm? Dynaudio could be characterized as laid back of sorts, but not emotionless. I don't have any experience with the older Citation amps, but this might be a weak point in your system.?. Placement as with all Dynaudio's is key. Give yourself at least 2' off the back wall if at all possible and don't cram into a corner.

I hear ya on the amps. If I get these speackers I will need the center and then later the 140's so will not have an amp buget for a while...
They are placed over 3 ft from side walls and over 3ft from rear walls. Although, I do have an old 52" RPTV in the center that is 2ft or more deep but the front of the 220's are slightly more than 2ft in front of it. When that is gone Maybe the imaging will raise a bit...
I got around to listening to a Hiromi SACD last night and I had NO complaints of the hight of anything! Sounded amazing! I did get rid of a bit of the "emotionless" characteristics I described by moving them back 2 or 3 inches apart another inch or 2 and towing in more to compensate.

Like I said before, I may just be so used to omni directional that my brain need to acclimate to these. I like em more and more... SO real and accurate.

What is the best bang for the buck amp to bring out the best of these I could look into if im broke after this???

Thanks so much
post #1009 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggy View Post

Any suggestions for raising the image and or speakers???

Try tilting the speakers back by lowering the rear spikes relative to the front spikes. This won't raise the image but you should be able to aim the tweeters closer to your ears.
post #1010 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

What is the best bang for the buck amp to bring out the best of these I could look into if im broke after this???

Thanks so much

Try to listen to the Parasound Halo amp. I have the A52 which is the "smaller" amp when compared to the A51. I have a small room and the A52 is more than enough power to drive my 140s and 200c. Only negative I have seen with this amp is that it gets hot, so it needs some breathing room (which my amp has).

I think I will go "heat" up my amp right now and listen to some 'Floyd. Saw Roger Waters at the Garden in Boston last night a simply incredible awesome show!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1011 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by Ron Alcasid:
Quote:

Try tilting the speakers back by lowering the rear spikes relative to the front spikes. This won't raise the image but you should be able to aim the tweeters closer to your ears.

I actually experimented with this last night and found that by doing this and playing ever so slightly with toe-in, quite a bit of difference can be achieved. Just a half or so inch angled back, and depending on the room, slightly inward can make a big difference.

Buddy
post #1012 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I actually experimented with this last night and found that by doing this and playing ever so slightly with toe-in, quite a bit of difference can be achieved. Just a half or so inch angled back, and depending on the room, slightly inward can make a big difference.

What kind of difference did you achieve? Wider image? Taller?
post #1013 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also when one goes to a live concert, the sound is taller than you not just at ear level and below

True, but at a live concert you are almost always standing and not sitting. Also, with a live venue, you have arrays almost always firing down at you, plus stage speakers for wide dispersion. It's tough to recreate such dymanics in a home system.

Quote:

Try tilting the speakers back by lowering the rear spikes relative to the front spikes.

This is excellent advice from Ron. Here is an example:

Quote:

The Parasound Halo's would be an excellent choice or even the lower priced Parasound New Classic Series.

post #1014 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is excellent advice from Ron. Here is an example:

Sorry, the picture insertion did not work. Here is the link instead.

http://aerialacoustics.com/html/prods.html

post #1015 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:

True, but at a live concert you are almost always standing and not sitting. Also, with a live venue, you have arrays almost always firing down at you, plus stage speakers for wide dispersion. It's tough to recreate such dymanics in a home system.

I know Just wishful thinking with these. The Mirage got close but that is what they are made to do.

Unfortunately the dealer did not give me the spikes. I will try to get them before my Friday dead line...

I was looking at Areal Acoustics site yesterday. Do they sell their spike stands separately?

If I can get the image to raise a few inches or so I would love these.
post #1016 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking at Areal Acoustics site yesterday. Do they sell their spike stands separately?

Yes they do. They are $250 I believe.

post #1017 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I ran up the street to the dealer and picked up some spikes (not Dyn but they fit). Lifted the fronts with em and have none on the back... I can immediately tell the difference! Everything is tied together more, just more cohesive. Emotional if you will
Took me 4 days to dial em in but I just may have found the sound in these things I was looking for... If I get a good deal I will bite.

Also, have a friend that is a metal sculptor/fabricator that can make some Areal Acoustic-like stands for the 220's. So your heart wont skip a beat every time someone steps to close to em.
post #1018 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Also, have a friend that is a metal sculptor/fabricator that can make some Areal Acoustic-like stands for the 220's. So your heart wont skip a beat every time someone steps to close to em.

jriggy,

I would say having stands made for the 220s would be a much better idea than buying stands from Aerial. It will most likely cost less and I would think the hole pattern (Aerial Stands) would not match the 220s.

I have Dynaudio #2 stands and I am thinking of adding a washer or two to the front base plate bushings (I have wood floors, no spikes), basically the same idea as yourself. Just that small tweak in speaker placement might work in my room as well.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1019 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Some of this was given to me by a customer... so thanks Bruce if you read this...
If your up to rock n' roll your Dyn's or you wanna see how well your speakers image and sound stage, usually rock music is NOT THE BEST way to see. HOWEVER, the
No Doubt- Singles CD (in silver) is a great way to see
especially Running-- part way in when Gwen sings over herself, the imaging is downright freaky...
Now i found this one to be a good one is:
Audioslave

I would like to see your thoughts on great music demos besides the standard boring demos!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #1020 of 23100 Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ran up the street to the dealer and picked up some spikes (not Dyn but they fit). Lifted the fronts with em and have none on the back... I can immediately tell the difference! Everything is tied together more, just more cohesive. Emotional if you will
Took me 4 days to dial em in but I just may have found the sound in these things I was looking for... If I get a good deal I will bite.

I would simply use the spikes that Dynaudio provides with the Focus 220s. Use them in the front and not in the back at all. That should give you the effect you are after.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page