85Likes

post #1081 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Surrounds seem to be universally sold in pairs.

Why the need to add a rear center speaker?

Dynaudio does sell in singles if you are interested. The 42SAT or Contour SR I both believe would match nicely. I have to confirm the 42SAT is available as a single, though.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggy View Post

Quick question about the "Center Base"
Why does it not list as working well with the Focus 200c but they show the Center Base with the 200c in its photo? I wouldn't think there would be a prob using it with the 200c but just wondering why they would leave it off the list of centers to be used with it?
No prob using them together right?

Absolutely no problem, in fact they are a perfect match it's just that the 200C wasn't out yet when the information you read was printed.

Mick

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #1083 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Why the need to add a rear center speaker?

Dynaudio does sell in singles if you are interested. The 42SAT or Contour SR I both believe would match nicely. I have to confirm the 42SAT is available as a single, though.

No problem getting the 42 SAT as a single.

Mick

Mick Tillman
post #1084 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnwill View Post

REAR CENTER MATCH?

I have the following:

72SE fronts
122C center
42 surrounds (2)
Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer

I would like to add a single bipolar rear channel. Dynaudio does not produce such an animal. Any suggestions of what speaker could reasonably be compatible with this system?? Definative BP2x, BP1x, Totem Lynks seem plausible.

Hard to find a single unit. Surrounds seem to be universally sold in pairs.

If this is being used for a center rear then a Bi polar speaker will not work very well, in fact direct firing speakers are best for most surround applications. You can purchase a single Audience 42 wall for this application if you would like or you can use an Audience 42 center channel.

Mick

Mick

Mick Tillman
post #1085 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

If this is being used for a center rear then a Bi polar speaker will not work very well, in fact direct firing speakers are best for most surround applications. You can purchase a single Audience 42 wall for this application if you would like or you can use an Audience 42 center channel.

Mick

Mick

As with many audio choices there is no need for a bipolar rear center. I would however like to experiment with this type of application and go to a 6.1 arrangement. Based only on many online posts and articles the use of a bipolar rear center gets mixed reviews. I have seen as many reviewers recommend as dislike the arrangement. If I want to try it what speaker choice would seem most effective. Thanks for any suggestions. I have thought about the Definitive BP2X & BP1X as well as the Totem Lynks. I agree that if I ultimately go with a direct fired unit it will probably be a 42C or 42SAT. Thanks for letting me know they are available as single units!
post #1086 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The countdown to the launch of the anniversary speaker has started, anyone interested can follow the unveiling by going to www.dynaudio.com, enter the site and wait for the pop up. There will be a slow unveiling up to the world wide launch on August the 9th.

Mick

Mick Tillman
post #1087 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Mick,

A couple of questions on the 42 SAT. What are the finish options and what is the MSRP for the pair?

I currently have 140s and a 200c with Def Tech BPVIIx for surrounds. I would like to go all Dynaudio but due to my room layout I had to place the surrounds on the ceiling (open room with only one side wall). The surrounds are placed outside and slightly behind the sweet spot (my Laz-Boy ). Would the 42 SAT's work in this application? I could e-mail some pictures of my layout just to be sure.

Thanks for your help, Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1088 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anyone interested can follow the unveiling by going to www.dynaudio.com, enter the site and wait for the pop up. There will be a slow unveiling up to the world wide launch on August the 9th.

Ugh, wait.

post #1089 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Mick,

A couple of questions on the 42 SAT. What are the finish options and what is the MSRP for the pair?

I currently have 140s and a 200c with Def Tech BPVIIx for surrounds. I would like to go all Dynaudio but due to my room layout I had to place the surrounds on the ceiling (open room with only one side wall). The surrounds are placed outside and slightly behind the sweet spot (my Laz-Boy ). Would the 42 SAT's work in this application? I could e-mail some pictures of my layout just to be sure.

Thanks for your help, Bill

Dear Bill,
The 42 Sats are available in one very attractive finish called Graphite Metallic(charcoal grey), they have a satin to semi-gloss sheen. The MSRP per pair is $950 and they can be ordered individually as well. The 42Sata mount the same way that the SR's mount and that is via a keyhole on the back, this would technically work on the ceiling but it may not be safe but you could use an aftermarket bracket to make this happen. You may also want to wait until after the first week of September when we will be showing an in ceiling speaker finally which will essentially be an in ceiling version of the IP-17 in wall. Feel free to send me pictures of your room and I would be more than happy to lend my 2 cents.

Mick

Mick Tillman
post #1090 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ugh, wait.

Oh but worth the wait!

Mick Tillman
post #1091 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dear Bill,
The 42 Sats are available in one very attractive finish called Graphite Metallic(charcoal grey), they have a satin to semi-gloss sheen. The MSRP per pair is $950 and they can be ordered individually as well. The 42Sata mount the same way that the SR's mount and that is via a keyhole on the back, this would technically work on the ceiling but it may not be safe but you could use an aftermarket bracket to make this happen. You may also want to wait until after the first week of September when we will be showing an in ceiling speaker finally which will essentially be an in ceiling version of the IP-17 in wall. Feel free to send me pictures of your room and I would be more than happy to lend my 2 cents.

Mick

Mick,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I was thinking after I posted that either the IP-24 or IP-17 might be a better choice. The in ceiling version of the IP-17 sounds like it will be perfect for my room. Will the new speaker have the capabilities to change the position/angle of the tweeter?

I will take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you. Again thanks for your help and advice it is much appreciated.

Take care, Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1092 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Liked: 14
Why a single bipolar rear surround? That's an odd choice, why not go with another pair of the 42s, that's what I would do.
post #1093 of 22871 Old 07-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Why a single bipolar rear surround? That's an odd choice, why not go with another pair of the 42s, that's what I would do.

As a reminder I have:
72SE fronts
122C center
42 surrounds (2)
Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer

The room is about 15' front to back and 13' wide. A 65" rear projection TV is in the front of the room with the screen protruding 28" into the room. The listening position, or couch, is 2' from the rear wall. The 42 surrounds are mounted on either side of the couch - spacing about 13". There is not enough room for two additional rear speakers. A bipole would seem to provide a seamless transition between the two direct fired 42's. I have read interesting articles supporting the use of a rear center bipole. I would like to experiment but would like a bipole that is not tremendously different than the 42's. I realize that a match is not possible. I have known since my days in the 90's building speakers that the sound of Dynaudio drivers cannot be duplicated - it is the reason I have a full Dynaudio system. I am considering the Definitive BP2X and was wondering if this could sucessfully blend.

I would provide a link to the best article I have seen, written in 2000, at the home theater magazine site. Unfortunately I have only three posts and cannot provide the link directly. If you want, go to "hometheatermag" and search for "surround speaker configuration". The article by Mike Wood is six pages, still relevant and involves a face off with blind testing with a group. The overall choice under these conditions was for a rear bipole.

This is far too long a reply - sorry. These threads are however very informative. Thanks to all for the replies - OFF.
post #1094 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 07:43 AM

Has anyone tride PARASOUND HCA-2205 with Dynaudio Contour 3.4?
post #1095 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybase View Post

Has anyone tride PARASOUND HCA-2205 with Dynaudio Contour 3.4?

I can't recall what Parasound I tried with my S5.4, it was nice, but not the same open detailed image you got with a SimAudio.
post #1096 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The Classic series Parasounds are better than 90% of the other amps out there in their class. However, they do have their limitations and are only 70% of the performance and refinement as their Halo siblings. Will this amp drive the Contours? Most definitely it will with ease. However, I would try and stretch my budget to get into the Halo's, though. We're not talking much more money here and the benefits of the Halo with Contours will be noticed.

post #1097 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

Kind regards,
Funkybase
post #1098 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mick,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I was thinking after I posted that either the IP-24 or IP-17 might be a better choice. The in ceiling version of the IP-17 sounds like it will be perfect for my room. Will the new speaker have the capabilities to change the position/angle of the tweeter?

I will take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you. Again thanks for your help and advice it is much appreciated.

Take care, Bill

Bill,
It is possible that they will have the angled tweeter but I won't see the first pair until Cedia so I am not exactly sure but since our tweeters have so much more surface area hence the huge amount of dispersion an angled or movable tweeter may not be necessary.

Mick

Mick Tillman
post #1099 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guy's

I wasn't happy with the image I was getting from my center speaker, it sounded like it was coming from the floor, not the TV.

So I called up a guy that does some wood work for me, and asked him if he could make a shelf.

I went from this

to this

Do you think I will hear much of a differnce?

Michael
post #1100 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you think I will hear much of a differnce?

Uh, yeah! You now only have sound from a center stage perspective. That is like having a really expensive Polk Audio Surroundbar.......bring back the S5.4's for L/R.

post #1101 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, yeah! You now only have sound from a center stage perspective. That is like having a really expensive Polk Audio Surroundbar.......bring back the S5.4's for L/R.

Is this better?

Kids are gone for the weekend, so I took the grills off, to enjoy the Dyn drivers.

Michael
post #1102 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello:

I'm hoping I can get some meaningfull input from the Dynaudio experts....

I'm currently using an older set of Dynaudio Audience speakers...they are the 120 LCR's and 42W's for the rear. Here are my questions.....

1. Which would be the next Dyaudio speaker for me in the line of progression? What is the MSRP?

2. What is the MSRP for the "rocker type" center channel stand that is manufactured by Dynaudio?

Thanks in advance!
post #1103 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The Dynaudio stand has differn't speaker supports on it, which would allow me to point the center speaker down a little more at the listen position, do you think that would be better?

Thanks
post #1104 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Yes I think that would be better. But surely its a simple matter to just try it, you'll soon find out.
post #1105 of 22871 Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

Hello:

I'm hoping I can get some meaningfull input from the Dynaudio experts....

I'm currently using an older set of Dynaudio Audience speakers...they are the 120 LCR's and 42W's for the rear. Here are my questions.....

1. Which would be the next Dyaudio speaker for me in the line of progression? What is the MSRP?

2. What is the MSRP for the "rocker type" center channel stand that is manufactured by Dynaudio?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Dynaudio's USA site. There you can review specifications, see the various lines and under literature see the MSRP's as of March 2007.

http://dynaudiousa.com/main2.htm
post #1106 of 22871 Old 07-28-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Is this better?

Kids are gone for the weekend, so I took the grills off, to enjoy the Dyn drivers.

Michael

Michael,

You have to do something about those remotes ! I have a Harmony 688 and love it. Awesome system I am sure it sounds incredilble.

Bill

post #1107 of 22871 Old 07-28-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Michael,

You have to do something about those remotes ! I have a Harmony 688 and love it. Awesome system I am sure it sounds incredilble.

Bill

Bill,

I am going to get a RTI Remote set up later this year.

Michael
post #1108 of 22871 Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Bill,

I am going to get a RTI Remote set up later this year.

Michael

Micheal,

That will do it! Looks like a great remote.

Bill

post #1109 of 22871 Old 07-28-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which would be the next Dyaudio speaker for me in the line of progression? What is the MSRP?

I would look at the Dynaudio Focus series. The Focus 220 towers and 200c center speaker. As for a replacement for the 42W (if mounted on the walls) the 42SAT or Contour SR would be my choice. If not mounted, then the Focus 110 or 140 would be excellent. You will hear a dramatic improvement over the the older 120's, which are still quite good.

As MSRP prices are on the DynaudioUSA website.

post #1110 of 22871 Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The countdown to the launch of the anniversary speaker has started, anyone interested can follow the unveiling by going to www.dynaudio.com, enter the site and wait for the pop up. There will be a slow unveiling up to the world wide launch on August the 9th.

Mick

http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/pdf/Book_of_Truth.pdf

Hmmm............if you scroll down to page 38 the profile looks similar.........Of the proof is how great (a given since its a Dyn) this new 30 Anniv speaker will sound........Here's hoping they will extend the production just as they did with the 25th anniversary edition.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page