Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #91 of 22587 Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Huh, strangely enough I think I'm crazy. Took my dyns in today and they sounded fine. Brought them back home and hooked them up again, switching the speakers L to R, and they imaged just fine.

I am beginning to question my sanity! I can't fathom that just re-doing the wire would make that much of a difference, I had checked all the connections when doing my previous testing. Whatever the reason (which I definitely can't explain), there is nothing wrong with my speakers. As irritated as I am by things I can't explain and that seem counter-factual, I guess it's the best possible news!

Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 22587 Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1612 View Post

I'm wondering if someone could point out at sonic differences (if any) between their entry passive monitors BM5 and BM6 and their monitors from the audience and focus lines. Haven't heard any of them yet, and before I do I would be interested in your opinion. If I buy a pair I would drive them with a Hafler P3000.

Thanks, Virgil.

I'm looking for the same information as you. I have a couple of passive BM6 monitors. I haven't compared them directly with the Audience series speakers, which I have also heard a few times. The BM6s have a plain and boring sound. But that's good! It took me a while to get used to this, especially in the near field.

I auditioned some A52s with a friend and I remember them sounding similar, maybe livelier, more exciting. But that was in another room, so take that into account. My friend doesn't trust them; he thinks it made his mixes sound better than they really were. It could have been that environment, but I found their sound more similar to the old, discontinued (Mk. I) BM5P. I don't have a problem with them. If I could get the A52 for a home audition, I'd open them up to see what's inside. I haven't heard the new BM5 passives, which just came out.

BTW, the Hafler P3000 and P4000 are some underrated pro amps. The early batches had QC problems, but after that, they're really good amplifiers that work very well with the BM6 or BM15. I'd even guess that they're the most frequently used amps with Dynaudio Acoustics passive monitors in the U.S.
post #93 of 22587 Old 09-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

... I have a couple of passive BM6 monitors. I haven't compared them directly with the Audience series speakers, which I have also heard a few times. The BM6s have a plain and boring sound. But that's good! It took me a while to get used to this, especially in the near field.

I auditioned some A52s with a friend and I remember them sounding similar, maybe livelier, more exciting. But that was in another room, so take that into account. My friend doesn't trust them; he thinks it made his mixes sound better than they really were...

Thanks Yuriv. So it seems that the studio monitors have a more neutral, "boring" sound than the home series... which seems normal, of course. I just didn't know to what extent this is noticable for the Dynaudio products... I'm not in professional audio, I'll just enjoy the music, so it's up to me if I would prefer the more boring sound of the BM5,6 or the livelier, more exciting sound of the home monitors. Thanks for the hint!
post #94 of 22587 Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thinking of replacing my amps. I have Contour 3.3 's,2.1 and SR's I'm looking to spend $3k or less. I'm currently using an older pair of Aragons. Any recommendations?
post #95 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thinking of replacing my amps.

Aragon was a decent product, but they are no more. I would get what you can out of them and look to another brand. I would lean towards Parasound, Bryston, and Sherbourn. These three brands mate with the Dynaudios very well. Other brands that mate nicely are Plinius and Sim Audio, but those would be more expensive and out of your $3K budget.

The 'sleeper' in the group that I've mentioned above would be the Sherbourn 5/5210A http://sherbourn.com/products/5_5210.php . This amp sounds fantastic for HT with the newer Focus series speakers. Your Contour 3.3 is a favorite of mine......I love that speaker. Hold onto those!!!

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #96 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

TT-Tony,

Confidence or Contour?

Room = 16 x 22 x 9

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #97 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Aragon was a decent product, but they are no more. I would get what you can out of them and look to another brand. I would lean towards Parasound, Bryston, and Sherbourn. These three brands mate with the Dynaudios very well. Other brands that mate nicely are Plinius and Sim Audio, but those would be more expensive and out of your $3K budget.

The 'sleeper' in the group that I've mentioned above would be the Sherbourn 5/5210A http://sherbourn.com/products/5_5210.php . This amp sounds fantastic for HT with the newer Focus series speakers. Your Contour 3.3 is a favorite of mine......I love that speaker. Hold onto those!!!

Any opinions on ATI? I would also like to find a used Classe CAV-180. I will check into the ones you recommend
post #98 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrosencpa View Post

Any opinions on ATI? I would also like to find a used Classe CAV-180. I will check into the ones you recommend

We run our Dynaudios on Parasound Halo, Bryston, Arcam. Between those 3 you have some good options. Check out Parasound Halo A51. I guarantee you will not find a 5 channel amp that touches this for anywhere close to the price.
post #99 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

TT-Tony,

Confidence or Contour?

Room = 16 x 22 x 9

Are you asking which on is better for your room. Confidence of course it you can afford it. But I think your room is too large for the C1's unless you keep the levels down. Having said that I think the C1 are fantastic speaker very open and revealing. When I bought my Contour 3.3 I was replacing my Celestion SL600/6000. I wanted something with more dynamic range so I got the 3.3's over the C1. If I had a larger budget I would have considered the C2's
post #100 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

TT-Tony,

Confidence or Contour?

Room = 16 x 22 x 9

Which confidence and which contour?
post #101 of 22587 Old 09-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

The Parasound sure looks sweet, $4k though.
post #102 of 22587 Old 09-24-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Which confidence and which contour?

MMiles, that is a large room, which I think the Dyns would appreciate the roominess your room has. The Confidence of course is the better speaker and has the better center channel, but it also calls for beefier amplification. The Contour S3.4 and SCX can hold their own though and you could get away with a quality 5 channel amp like the Parasound Halo A51. If you went with the Confidence C2/C4 or S5.4 I would lean towards the Brystons.

Just for reference, our theater room with the Focus 220's is 14'Wx20'Lx10'H. We have the Focus systems mated with the Halo A51. It sounds extremely good, but we are able to peg the volume without hint of strain from the Dyns for home theater. For music though, we cannot come close to pegging the volume. What I think happens with the Halo A51 when all channels driven, it equalizes its power across all channels uniformally. I could be completely wrong technically speaking, but there is a difference in how loud this amp is able to play. By no means do I hear any hint of distortion, though. This why I would recommend the Brystons over the Halos for the S5.4 or C2/C4. The Bryston amp I would recommend would be more power, but I also think the Brystons have more horsepower for home theater.

Quote:
The Parasound sure looks sweet, $4k though.

Yes, but it would carry a 10 year warranty. The Brystons carry a 20 year warranty.....Basically, the last amp you would ever need to buy.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #103 of 22587 Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Amps are always a concern.

I've had owned the Parasound HALO A51 and PS AUDIO GCAMC-500, both excellent performers.

Since selling those units I have a Parasound Classic coming in this week. I may even try the Sunfire TGA series, Cary Audio Cinema 5 or QSC PLXII pro amps. I also have my eye on the BAT 6200 and Theta Dreadnaught II.

Like you said Bryston makes a great product as well.

That probably covers amplification for now...

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #104 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 02:50 PM

I've ordered a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72se speakers, and the sub 300 subwoofer.
However I'm not sure which center/ surround speakers to buy.
Since the se speakers use bas/tweeter from the Contour series, should I also buy Contour center/surround speakers, or just the ordinary Audience speakers?
post #105 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMicke View Post

I've ordered a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72se speakers, and the sub 300 subwoofer.
Since the se speakers use bas/tweeter from the Contour series, should I also buy Contour center/surround speakers, or just the ordinary Audience speakers?

Ideally you'd probably want to go for something mor ein the contour line rather than the audience line. However there is also the focus series which might match pretty well. I don't know, but it's an idea.

I am using a Contour T2.1 center with my 52SE, and it works pretty well. The 52SE are better though.
post #106 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wouldn't the obvious choice be the 122c? They should be a perfect match.
post #107 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrosencpa View Post

Wouldn't the obvious choice be the 122c? They should be a perfect match.

No, the 122 matches the audience line. The 72SE is a fairly different speaker, it does not use the same drivers or crossovers of the audience line. The 122 would be a big step down. It would probably work quite well, but it wouldn't match.
post #108 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

opps missed the SE
post #109 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Ideally you'd probably want to go for something mor ein the contour line rather than the audience line. However there is also the focus series which might match pretty well. I don't know, but it's an idea.

I am using a Contour T2.1 center with my 52SE, and it works pretty well. The 52SE are better though.

That was what I though, however I wasn't sure.

Edit:
Should I buy a pair of 52SE as surround speakers, or a pair of Contours? Any suggestion of Contour speakers?
post #110 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM

52SE would be great (overkill really) for surrounds. Contours are *quite* a bit more expensive I believe (like twice as expensive for the smallest monitor contour).
post #111 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Contour SRs. The are very small and voiced to attach directly on a wall. They look great on my wall, you hardly notice them. I like them very much. The are expensive @ $2,200 a pair. I got mine used for half the price and they look and perform as new.

You could also see if you can get the older 1.1's. They are very hard to find used, I suspect that they are in demand because they were the smallest of the older Contour line making them ideal for surround speakers. They are still quite a bit larger than the SRs and they will go deeper if you can get them away from the wall and not plug the port.

Edit

I think the 1.1s go for about $800 used. Ebay has a T2.1 listed now but closing tomorrow, you can buy it now for $895 or duke it out in the auction. Opps Sweden it might not pay you are so close to the factory.
post #112 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone see the new Gloss Rosewood finish available on the Confidence line at CEDIA?
post #113 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Anyone see the new Gloss Rosewood finish available on the Confidence line at CEDIA?

I stopped by their booth and I think I saw the Confidence don't recall the finish.
post #114 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 09:21 PM

Ok, thanks. I think I'll go with the 52se then. However, I don't intend to buy them right away. I may wait until hdmi 1.3 receivers are released.
post #115 of 22587 Old 09-30-2006, 10:48 PM

I'm curiously, does any of you know how Dynaudio Audience/Contour speakers work with Adcom GFA 5802 amplifiers?

I live in a small town and there aren't any close Dynaudio dealers so I ordered my by interne, so I haven't had a chance to try it out.

As far as I know, they should work pretty well together, as I understand, both the Adcom and the Dynaudio's are both pretty neutral...
post #116 of 22587 Old 10-01-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Ok, thanks. I think I'll go with the 52se then. However, I don't intend to buy them right away. I may wait until hdmi 1.3 receivers are released.

I would get the dynaudio focus 140's... a LOT better even, just unbelievable speaker for the money!
post #117 of 22587 Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanowar View Post

I would get the dynaudio focus 140's... a LOT better even, just unbelievable speaker for the money!

Perhaps you are right, but since both the 72se and the 52se are from the Audience series, it feels that their sounds would match each other better.
And since the Focus 140 are about 1.5x the cost of the 52se, it feels hardly worth it to have them as surround speakers... They cost almost as much as the 72se.
Since I don't have the option of trying out how well they match each other, it feels safer to buy the 52se. But I'll give it a thought, pehaps if I find some second-hand focus 140 speakers.

Edit:
Another question:
Does the Marantz sr-7001 work well with the Dynaudio A 72se speakers?
If I decide not to wait for hdmi 1.3 receivers, it seems lika a good choice...
post #118 of 22587 Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

To the site anyway. I own Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's and I power them with a Bryston 3 BST. I am working on adedicated movie/music room that will consist of 3 pairs of 1.3's and 3 x 3BST's. At any rate I am a huge Dyn fan (as you can tell by my SN) and have had several car audio systems consisting of Dynaudio product as well. My current surrounds are a DIY speaker I built out of the Dynaudio system 240 car audio component set.

Back to the subject of the SE's.... I would use two pairs of 52SE's with your 72's. One pair as surrounds and the other pair as front and rear center. I am a big fan of the bookshelf speakers as centers anyway to overcome the lobing issues with the regular MTM centers...
post #119 of 22587 Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Hi dynfan / fellows,

I'm also considering getting a third 52SE to use as a center channel. However, due to space constraints I would have to set it horizontally. Any thoughts in terms of poor dispersion or other issues with this particular positioning ? My current center is the 42C which is not an MTM configuration either, although it is "designed" (whatever that means) to be set horizontally.

Thanks a lot,

Fernando
post #120 of 22587 Old 10-05-2006, 10:07 PM

I think it should be ok. The 52SE has pretty wide dispersion in all directions, I don't think it would be that different than the 42c really. you'll want to play around with it a little bit to get the central image right, but it's a similar issue with the 42c, so not that big a deal.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page