Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #121 of 22884 Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's encouraging, thanks a lot Chris !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 22884 Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Aragon was a decent product, but they are no more. I would get what you can out of them and look to another brand. I would lean towards Parasound, Bryston, and Sherbourn. These three brands mate with the Dynaudios very well. Other brands that mate nicely are Plinius and Sim Audio, but those would be more expensive and out of your $3K budget.

The 'sleeper' in the group that I've mentioned above would be the Sherbourn 5/5210A http://sherbourn.com/products/5_5210.php . This amp sounds fantastic for HT with the newer Focus series speakers. Your Contour 3.3 is a favorite of mine......I love that speaker. Hold onto those!!!

I have a Sherbourn 7/2100 with my Focus 5 channel setup (220, 200c, 140) and it sounds FANTASTIC for movies and music.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #123 of 22884 Old 10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just for reference, our theater room with the Focus 220's is 14'Wx20'Lx10'H. We have the Focus systems mated with the Halo A51. It sounds extremely good, but we are able to peg the volume without hint of strain from the Dyns for home theater. For music though, we cannot come close to pegging the volume.

So... if I have my Focus 220s mated with a Sherbourn 7/2100 (300w per channel into 4 ohms) and I end up with a theater room your size, will I not necessarily get the volume I'd want on two-channel stereo? That's a depressing thought!

Right now I'm in a much smaller room and the volume is more than enough, but I do predict moving into a bigger room, though not quite that big. Likely 15' x 20' x 8'.

What kind of amp would it take to get reference volumes in my room? What do you mean by pegged? 75db? Also, would mating the 220s with a high quality sub and crossing at 40hz allow me to go a lot louder?

I figured the Sherbourn would be all the amp I'd need, almost regardless of my room size, especially with a 4 ohm speaker. Do you think that's not so?

Jeffnebraska
post #124 of 22884 Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I can attest my Dynaudio 52's and 122c sound great with my Anthem MCA50.
post #125 of 22884 Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

will I not necessarily get the volume I'd want on two-channel stereo? That's a depressing thought!

What I meant to say is for 2 channel the A51 has more than enough power to drive the 220's.

I love the Parasound Halo amps, however for home theater I do feel the Sherbourn at less "rated" power perform better at all channels driven over the Halo. In regards to HT, the Sherbourns are just an oustanding HT product and their matching PT7010a processor is tough to beat for the price.

I do believe the Halos have a more refined sound over the Sherbourns and are a bit more musical. So, there are some trade-offs.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #126 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I see! "Pegged" means that the amp was maxed out. Got it.

I have no fear my HT setup will be plenty loud. It's already blowing my head off at -10 to -5 on my preamp, and I don't yet have a sub.

Good news.

Jeffnebraska
post #127 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

First post for me here .

I'm from Australia and have been auditioning speakers madly for a while now to upgrade my current sonique set (aussie speaker manufacturer).

I have a *possible* opportunity to buy a Dyn focus set (220's, centre and probably 110's for rears) as ex-demo's from a business that went bust so I have a few questions!

I listened to the focus/contour series when I was shopping for amps some time back but didn't pay super close attention. Just remember they were great. Now there is no longer a dealer in my state I can't demo them!

I'm mainly a HT guy but do listen to a lot of music (2ch and multi-channel). I like a speaker that provides a large soundstage (wider than the speakers impresses me) and very accurate imaging. Tight, fast response across the entire sound-range and a nice flat response (can cope with some push in the mid-range/upper bass for vocals though). I love bass and good "slam" for movies but not when it overshadows music or other listening.

Here's a link to some feedback i've given on the aussie forum - maybe some of you can havea read and offer an opinion on how the focus series may fit my needs???

sorry... no link. the site won't let me post one. google "dtvforum equinox krix" and you should get the link to my post as the first option.

I do recall that I loved the Dyn sound but I'd like some confirmation on the soundstaging and imaging the Focus's provide - particularly the performance of the centre and 220's. Don't think I got to hear the 110's so comments on them will be appreciated too!

Dynaudio is bloody expensive in Oz and not many people seem to own them. I'm really bummed that I can't demo them in comparison with the Aussie speakers I'm trying out so your comments will be invaluable to me.
post #128 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Liked: 14
I haven't heard the focus series because it's new, but Dynaudio has some of the best imaging in my opinion, really large soundstage especially in the depth direction. Unless you heard something else that you really loved more or noted more, I might jump at the opportunity to pick up a great deal on the focus series which has gotten really strong reviews.

There are some that may prefer a more conservative soundstage than what dynaudio offers, so there is that to consider. But if you are an imaging lover, the broad scope of the soundstage dynaudio provides would probably really fit your bill. That's my personal bias, and I just love how far back the stage goes with dynaudios, there is just SO much space there it's really incredible.
post #129 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Well that is encouraging .

I have not been able to find any decent reviews on the focus range. just some basic "hey there's this new range out" type of review. Any online you can link me to?

Even at 30-35% off the dyns are expensive here in Oz compared to other brands. Not sure if it's just dealers milking money or just the expense of having them here.

I have 2 more brands that are highly rated to try at home in the next few days. That (and the availability of the dyn offer) will determine where I head I guess.

When the dyn's are likely to be $1k more (at the discounted price for ex-demo) I want to be sure they are exactly what I want!
post #130 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrobins View Post

Hi,

I'm mainly a HT guy but do listen to a lot of music (2ch and multi-channel). I like a speaker that provides a large soundstage (wider than the speakers impresses me) and very accurate imaging. Tight, fast response across the entire sound-range and a nice flat response (can cope with some push in the mid-range/upper bass for vocals though). I love bass and good "slam" for movies but not when it overshadows music or other listening.

I think you will be extremely happy with the Focus line! Your description of what you're looking for matches, with almost erie precision, what I would say are the strengths of the Focus.

I have a 5 speaker set (currently with no sub because I'm not yet in my permanent theater room) of 220s, 200c, and 140 rears. I bought them after a lengthy audition process and have been supremely happy with the choice. I wrote a review earlier in this thread which sums up my feelings.

Let me just say, the strengths of the Focus speakers are their fantastic imaging and excellent neutrality. In my auditioning, I felt the Dyns pinpointed the singer and the instruments in a wide and utterly empty (in the good sense of open and spacious) soundfield, to an extent that the other speakers I heard couldn't touch. Now that I own them, that feeling is reinforced every time I listen to them. I also think they are never harsh and never overly boomy in the bass.

Music sounds absolutely stunning, and the power and dynamics of home theater, even with no sub, takes my breath away.

Don't forget that you need a lot of power for the Focus 220s. No Yamaha or Denon receiver with 125X7 is going to do the trick. You need 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (which is how things are normally rated), but with 4 ohm stability, since that's what the Focus speakers are. I think most people run these things only with separate amps and a pre/pro. That's how I'm driving mine.

Assuming this all sounds good to you. Run, don't walk toward that Focus bargain.

Jeffnebraska
post #131 of 22884 Old 10-07-2006, 10:34 PM

THanks Jeff.

I own an Elektra 7 amp which is a high current amplifier capable of sustained high output to all channels. Rotel 1068 pre-pro arrives tomorrow. Driving these won't be an issue.

My quandry will be cost/second hand/ half remembered sound vs the choice of brand new and slightly less $$ of gear i'm demoing locally and at home (not to be confused with lower quality though - being aussie made just means we get better pricing here on home grown gear).
post #132 of 22884 Old 10-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you'll be in good shape for power Mgrob.

As to whether the Dyns are worth the extra money, can't say without knowing (and having heard) what you're comparing them to, but good luck with your decision.

Jeffnebraska
post #133 of 22884 Old 10-08-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even at 30-35% off the dyns are expensive here in Oz compared to other brands. Not sure if it's just dealers milking money or just the expense of having them here.

Wow, if you can get that kind of deal, you better jump on that. As for dealers "milking" money, that is a rediculous statement.

post #134 of 22884 Old 10-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Wow, if you can get that kind of deal, you better jump on that. As for dealers "milking" money, that is a rediculous statement.

No It isn't. I'm not implying they are being dishonest - just that some products can be sold at a higher margin due to their quality/performance. Dynaudio tend to "sell themselves" from what I have heard and there are few dealers in Oz so they seem to attract a premium.

Edit: just thought I'd add that many products do not sell at RRP here. So even though companies provide RRP for dealers/retailers there is often a lower offered price (market forces??) and rarely a higher price if demand is much higher than supply.

I'll see how they stack up against the others i'm demoing. I know the Dyns are awesome but some of these other speakers come very highly recommended too.

All comes down to personal taste I guess (which is why i'm annoyed that I can't demo the dyns locally now!!).
post #135 of 22884 Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 AM

ok....
I've taken the punt and commited to buy a set of Dynaudio Focus speakers.

I got a price I'm very happy with and the speakers I've chosen are the F220, F200c and F110 for surounds.

I queried having the 110 or 140 for surround duties but I think I'll be happy with the 110's .

I have been auditioning lots of speakers, some at home some in stores and have not been able to have a "serious" dynaudio audition so i'm making thisw purchase a bit on my past experience and recommendations .

I have a Rotel Pre-Pro and a good multichannel amp with solid power supply so i'm quite excited about getting thes in and hearing them at home!

Of course.... if they don't sound good at home or aren't what I remember then you may see a set for sale soon :P (unlikely though!).
post #136 of 22884 Old 10-26-2006, 05:30 AM

Hows Contour S3.4 doing compared with Revel Performa F30?

Is it very different style of sound between these to speakers? (brighter-warmer-dynamic etc).

Regards/Pat
post #137 of 22884 Old 10-26-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Revel and Dynaudio are both good speakers, but the Dynaudio is more accurate and neutral. The Contour S3.4 is a true full-range with a flat response from 35hz-20khz. Dynaudio speakers are among the most coherent speakers out there, and I work with other great brands like Focal and Thiel.

Dynaudio manufacturers everything in-house, whereas uses Revel "modifyed" Vifa drivers in their designs. I am personally a big believer in manufacturers making their own drivers, because they can modify each and every woofer, midrange, and tweeter to fit the cabinet dimensions and crossover. You dont have this ability use an OEM design.

Revel uses a high-order crossover, whereas Dynaudio uses a first-order crossover. Using first order crossovers are the only true way to design a speaker with phase and time coherence. Vandersteen and Thiel also subscribe to this design principle.

If Im not mistaken Revel is dipolar, which utilizes a rear-firing tweeter to create a bigger soundstage, but the problem is that the room becomes a more critical factor.

I would audition both products as they are designed very differently and thus will sound different. But given proper amplification, the Dynaudio is hard or impossible to beat.
post #138 of 22884 Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Didn't read the whole thread, but here's another Dynaudio fan. I've got Dynaudio 72SE's up front w/ a 122 center. Had them for about a year. Prior system was my "1st job out of college" setup with Paradigm 9SE's, which are now in the workout room. Anyway, benchmark system was my buddy's B&W CDM setup, which is pretty d&^% nice, but when I did an extended compare with B&W 703 & 804 in the store, I liked the Dynaudio's better. I do probably need more juice for them, since they're running off of a Denon 3805 right now. I need to pickup a solid 2-channel, because they lack dynamics at loud volume, which I assume is due to the receiver.
Pete
post #139 of 22884 Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 AM

AudioArchitect: Hows the difference between 3.4 and 5.4? What I read, its quite a difference, due to Esotar2 in 5.4 and separate middle range cone.

Seems like 5.4 is a bit more efficient too (on paper). I have a 5x140w 8ohm Marantz MM9000 today. Question is if its ok to drive 5.4.

A "WAF" question is 5.4 much more "imposing"? they are about 6 inches higher..

BTW: went to listen to Revel F30. They have a huge soundfield, but I prefer the pin-pointness of Contour 3.4. Contour is very balanced speaker.
post #140 of 22884 Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Here a testimony to the durability of Dynaudio drivers. Last weekend I was playing around with my shiny new Benchmark DAC1. I wanted to see how it sounded connected directly to my amplifier. So I hooked it up, turned on the power amp and pressed play on DVD player and then I literally jumped because the volume came on FULL BLAST. Apparently I forgot to set the outputs on DAC1 from fixed to variable. My first instinct was to turn off the power amp but it didn't shut off immediately it played for a few seconds longer until it went silent. I thought I had fried my 52's. After taking a few minutes to gather my nerves, I switched the DAC1 outputs to variable, set the volume control all the way down, switched the power amp back on and turned up the volume slowly. I was relieved to hear the Dynaudios came out unscathed from my stupidity.
post #141 of 22884 Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AudioArchitect: Hows the difference between 3.4 and 5.4? What I read, its quite a difference, due to Esotar2 in 5.4 and separate middle range cone.

There is a BIG difference not only in size, but soundstage. The Esotar2 tweeter differs from the S1.4 and 3.4, but it's sound characterics are still the same. Where I see the biggest difference between the two models is with pressence and impact (larger drivers in 5.4). When called upon the 5.4 will set you back into your seat if you know what I mean. The 3.4 can do this as well, but not near like the 5.4. The 5.4 is one of those speakers a subwoofer just really is not necessary or needed at all for music. The 3.4 does not better the Focus 220 by much IMHO.

I actually prefer the 5.4 over the Confidence C2. The C4, however is another story.....It's a stunning speaker!!

post #142 of 22884 Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM

Kind of a change of topic for those interested in the Dynaudio line. I was reading the current issue of TAS and their was an advertisement for the Confidence speakers. In the picture were NAD Master Series components - the M15 and the M55. Like B&W, Classe, and Rotel (though the same ownership I think), is Dynaudio endorsing NAD as sort of the electronics of choice for their line now? Interesting if so or even if it's just a small endorsement as I have not heard/seen Dynaudio with NAD before. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I ask because I am looking to buy a new pre/pro for the media room and have the S3.4s.

Thanks,
clewlor
post #143 of 22884 Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewlor View Post

Kind of a change of topic for those interested in the Dynaudio line. I was reading the current issue of TAS and their was an advertisement for the Confidence speakers. In the picture were NAD Master Series components - the M15 and the M55. Like B&W, Classe, and Rotel (though the same ownership I think), is Dynaudio endorsing NAD as sort of the electronics of choice for their line now? Interesting if so or even if it's just a small endorsement as I have not heard/seen Dynaudio with NAD before. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I ask because I am looking to buy a new pre/pro for the media room and have the S3.4s.

Thanks,
clewlor

The only components they use on 95% of the shows are Simaudio, and rightly so. They make some of the best audio "performance-driven" components out there.

The ad was probably a co-marketing opportunity, as most pairings are. Realistically NAD components are highly unreliable, and generally break after there 2 year warranty. I have dealt with this firsthand in the past, so I speak from experience.

I would instead consider something from Parasound (who has a proven track record for reliability and warranty), Bryston, Arcam, or Simaudio if you want the actual equipment they use with Dynaudio. FYI, Simaudio uses the Special 25 and Confidence C2's as two of their reference speakers.

Happy hunting!
post #144 of 22884 Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjoh View Post

Seems like 5.4 is a bit more efficient too (on paper). I have a 5x140w 8ohm Marantz MM9000 today. Question is if its ok to drive 5.4.

A "WAF" question is 5.4 much more "imposing"? they are about 6 inches higher..

BTW: went to listen to Revel F30. They have a huge soundfield, but I prefer the pin-pointness of Contour 3.4. Contour is very balanced speaker.

Yes, theres a good size improvement! The Esotar2 tweeter is IMO the best tweeter in world along with Focal Be. You will only reap its benefits with a good high power/high current amplifier between the 3.4 and 5.4. The 3.4's are an incredible value, and you would be more than satisfied. The Marantz will drive the Dynaudios, but not to sound their best.

I would rather you have 100% performance out of the 3.4's than 80% of the performance out of the 5.4's. Hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind too though, if you purchase the 5.4's (which are alot more expensive than the 3.4's, the matching center channel, SCX, is more expensive as well). The 5.4's are a big speaker, but their modern European styling is gorgeous. My fiance has no problems with them at all! If budget is a consideration, you might be better off buying the 3.4's and buying a new amp like Bryston, Simaudio, Krell, Parasound Halo,etc.

I would try to do an A-B at your dealer if you can. But, good call on the Dynaudios, because they are a far better speaker than Revel.
post #145 of 22884 Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

There are a couple of used sets floating around, and I'm trying to figure out which is a better deal, let me know your thoughts please:

Audience 122 (4 years old) $680

Audience 52 (6 months old) $650

Thanks.
t
post #146 of 22884 Old 11-09-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a couple of used sets floating around, and I'm trying to figure out which is a better deal, let me know your thoughts please:

The 122's if they are 4 years old are vinyl wrapped, however the new ones are veneer. The 122 is a fantastic sounding speaker and to be quite honest it's my favorite in the entire Audience line. It's a narrow speaker, but it really sounds much larger than it really is.

The 52 is a good speaker as well, but compared to the 122, it falls short on dynamics and presence.....and it really should.

If buying the 122's and having them shipped, I would only purchase if original boxes and packaging are included. Been there done that. Most people do not adequately package tower speakers to make the trip.

post #147 of 22884 Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have heard the 52, but not the 122, that's why I wanted to know. The thing is that I was going to use this money to upgrade my sub, but seeing this deal gave me second thoughts.

If I get the Dyn's, I would have to get an amp. A local pawn shop has an Adcom 545 II I've been eyeing, but I don't know if I want to give up a sub to get these. I don't know when I'll have extra money to get a new sub.
post #148 of 22884 Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Yes, theres a good size improvement! The Esotar2 tweeter is IMO the best tweeter in world along with Focal Be. You will only reap its benefits with a good high power/high current amplifier between the 3.4 and 5.4. The 3.4's are an incredible value, and you would be more than satisfied. The Marantz will drive the Dynaudios, but not to sound their best.

I would rather you have 100% performance out of the 3.4's than 80% of the performance out of the 5.4's. Hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind too though, if you purchase the 5.4's (which are alot more expensive than the 3.4's, the matching center channel, SCX, is more expensive as well). The 5.4's are a big speaker, but their modern European styling is gorgeous. My fiance has no problems with them at all! If budget is a consideration, you might be better off buying the 3.4's and buying a new amp like Bryston, Simaudio, Krell, Parasound Halo,etc.

I would try to do an A-B at your dealer if you can. But, good call on the Dynaudios, because they are a far better speaker than Revel.

I bought the 3.4, but now I need a center (S C) for them. So now I have a decent deal for 5.4 and SCX center (ca 50% of new price, used ones like new).

So now im thinking, why not get a speaker for life . The 3.4s is easy to sell, and I need a center, which makes 5.4 + SCX nice looking. Hows these big 5.4s looking in Black Ash anyway? Have my 3.4 in Maple, and seen Cherry too. Do they look ok in black? Not my favourite, but its NOT many 5.4 used ones around..

So my question to AudioArchitechts good reply: am I gonna be ok with keeping my Marantz AV9000 and by a more hefty poweramp? Im thinking used Rotel RMB-1095, Parasound, Sherbourn. Around 5x200w 8 ohm. Its not Krell, but a slight upgrade to MM9000 I think. The AV9000 has nice sound, better then my earlier Rotel RSP-966 processor. It has copperplates, HDAMs, isolated video circuit and that stuff.
post #149 of 22884 Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Im thinking used Rotel RMB-1095, Parasound, Sherbourn. Around 5x200w 8 ohm.

To drive the 5.4 none that you've listed will do drive the Dyns to their potential, but they will work and do much better than your current receiver. I carry both Parasound and Sherbourn, and I love them both. However, the 5.4 is a demanding speaker which performs better with more muscle. My recommendation would be Bryston amps. I have a Parasound Halo A21 (250wx2) as well as a Bryston 4B-SST (300Wx2) in the showroom mated with the 5.4, the Bryston takes it up a notch.

If you decide to got with a cheaper solution like the Sherbourn or Rotel...certainly nothing wrong with doing this. The Sherbourn sounds much bigger than it's rated power. Having had Rotels in the past, the Rotel needs to pack a big lunch. The Sherbourn will take it to school.

As for comparing the 5.4 and 3.4....the 5.4 is the clear winner and is a speaker to hold onto for life. That has already been talked about in this thread. The black ash finish is very nice. Rosewood and Cherry is their signature finishes, but the black ash is stilll very nice.

post #150 of 22884 Old 11-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Is it possible to wall mount the Focus 140's or 110's?

Thanks,

David
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page