post #15481 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooStat View Post

Modwright? Is that stuff as good as advertised? I mean, the picture shows some burmester equipment, so I was wondering if you had compared the amps at all. . ...

Unfortunately not, the Burmesters were on static display when i was there and I was more fixated on the speakers.

But i have to tell you, possibly the smoothest, finest audio system i have ever heard wasn't a Dynaudio one. It was an all Burmester outfit, from front to back including speakers.

Course that was way back in 2008, when i was still living with the Contour 3.4's and a Krell solid state amp. If i heard the same system now I wonder if I would still be as bowled over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I also got to hear the TAD CR1, that was an amazing setup. It was all connected to Audio Research gear with a Qusonix media player, and I listened to Diana Krall for about 6 songs, I have to say, that was probably one of the best listening experiences I have had. Super huge soundstage, instrument placement was the best I have heard and it was very musical.

I am absolutely in love with my TAD CR-1's. Your description it very accurate.
post #15483 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use PIONEER BDP-440. Thanks
Quote:

what are you using as a CD player?

post #15484 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntop View Post

I use PIONEER BDP-440. Thanks

Thats what I suspected... a blu-ray player. In all honesty, because I am in your same position, use that money to buy yourself an external DAC like the Arcam rDAC or Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII, they will have better DACs and analog section then both your Integra and Pioneers DAC/analog section. Put the Integra in Direct mode for all music listening, and the audio will output simultaneously via HDMI and Optical, so for movies you will just select your BD button on your remote and HDMI will take control. For music have the analog inputs set to TV or Game or whatever your not using and you will select that for your CD listening and you will just get 2-ch audio via the DAC that should sound a lot better.

Then when youve managed to squeeze all the performance you can from your Integra add a Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Creek or Naim integrated amp and use their HTBP mode. Thats what Id suggest. I added the Naim integrated amp first, and while many things have improved, I notice how much my Sonys analog section is lacking.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #15485 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Am I crazy...or did someone post recently they went for an audition of Dyns in/around the Lewes, DE area?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15486 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

My order is placed with sound fx in Delaware. Ordered x12's, x22 and dm 2/6 in black lacquer and black ash respectively for a 5.1 setup (already have sub), also ordered an integra dtr 80.3 for power. Replacing an axiom setup powered by a denon 3311. Now the waiting begins as the integra and x22 in black lacquer are both back ordered. Looking forward to setting it all up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Am I crazy...or did someone post recently they went for an audition of Dyns in/around the Lewes, DE area?

CD

That would be me. I actually auditioned elsewhere but ended up purchasing at sound fx in lewes. I set everything up this weekend including my new sub (rythmik f15hp.) So far im very impressed. Everything just sounds "correct" without being overbearing at all.
post #15487 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Thats what I suspected... a blu-ray player. In all honesty, because I am in your same position, use that money to buy yourself an external DAC like the Arcam rDAC or Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII, they will have better DACs and analog section then both your Integra and Pioneers DAC/analog section.....

I dragged out a 10 year old Marantz DV7100 DVD player to use as a CD transport. The optical out goes into my Naim ND5-XS. It really sounds pretty good, but because the Naim has a great DAC (Burr Brown PCM1791A). I have no doubt if I tried the Marantz' analog out it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #15488 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

That would be me. I actually auditioned elsewhere but ended up purchasing at sound fx in lewes. I set everything up this weekend including my new sub (rythmik f15hp.) So far im very impressed. Everything just sounds "correct" without being overbearing at all.

I wasn't crazy; thanks for that...lol. How was the dealer there? That's close to me, and I wasn't aware of them.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15489 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I dragged out a 10 year old Marantz DV7100 DVD player to use as a CD transport. The optical out goes into my Naim ND5-XS. It really sounds pretty good, but because the Naim has a great DAC (Burr Brown PCM1791A). I have no doubt if I tried the Marantz' analog out it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good.

It's all about the DAC baby! I'm in the market for a new one...but AG sucks right now.

CD

post #15490 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I wasn't crazy; thanks for that...lol. How was the dealer there? That's close to me, and I wasn't aware of them.

CD

Nice guys to deal with. Car audio appears to be there bread and butter but they have a couple theater demo rooms setup as well as providing commercial and home audio installations. Mike is who i dealt with and he own's Contour's himself Here is there website if you want to check them out http://www.sound-fx.net/
post #15491 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks for your suggestion.
Does it mean: The first step of improvement is to obtain a DAC, then the second step is to buy a integrated amp?
So it is no obvious improvement if i don't make the source well (Using DAC) and to buy a power amp first?
Because I heard people said the Dynaudio need good power amp to control, this is why I ask.
Thanks.

Quote:

Thats what I suspected... a blu-ray player. In all honesty, because I am in your same position, use that money to buy yourself an external DAC like the Arcam rDAC or Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII, they will have better DACs and analog section then both your Integra and Pioneers DAC/analog section. Put the Integra in Direct mode for all music listening, and the audio will output simultaneously via HDMI and Optical, so for movies you will just select your BD button on your remote and HDMI will take control. For music have the analog inputs set to TV or Game or whatever your not using and you will select that for your CD listening and you will just get 2-ch audio via the DAC that should sound a lot better.

Then when youve managed to squeeze all the performance you can from your Integra add a Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Creek or Naim and use their HTBP mode. Thats what Id suggest. I added the Naim integrated amp first, and while many things have improved, I notice how much my Sonys analog section is lacking.

post #15492 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post

I am absolutely in love with my TAD CR-1's. Your description it very accurate.

You have TADs? very impressive, one of my new additions to my must audition list, there arent that much left. I've finally heard in the past six months YG, Devore, Harbeth,. TAD, Hansen, Evolution Acoustics, Tidal and Vivid Audio are still missing
post #15493 of 24540 Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

You have TADs? very impressive, one of my new additions to my must audition list, there arent that much left. I've finally heard in the past six months YG, Devore, Harbeth,. TAD, Hansen, Evolution Acoustics, Tidal and Vivid Audio are still missing

I don't want to derail this thread but I can't believe how amazing these speakers sound. Every little detail is clearly audible without being harsh. The speakers get out of the way. Instruments and voice hang in the air in front of you. I am very happy.
post #15494 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post

Every little detail is clearly audible without being harsh. The speakers get out of the way. Instruments and voice hang in the air in front of you. I am very happy.

Funny, you just described what I'm hearing and how I'm feeling right now
post #15495 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:

That makes me very happy to read this. It's all about the music and I am glad you are experiencing what I am
post #15496 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Curious as to what you thought about the DeVores. I kind of worry that they are built by a guy whose claim to fame is that he is a great audio salesman. But people seem to like his stuff. Any thoughts on how they compare to Dynaudio stuff?
post #15497 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Dont you own sapphires? To me, the CR1s were 10.5 ft apart and I was 11 ft back, listening to Diana Krall...has never been so good.The Sapphires soundstage was big and well defined as well, with lots of depth and great bass, and for 1/3 the cost the Sapphires would be a much better value purchase, BUT the CR1s threw a larger soundstage with more depth and better overall detail, even more bass, and a smoother top-end. But thats the difference between a $16k speaker and a $40k speaker, and 15K in gear vs $35k in gear. I guess.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #15498 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Well fellow Dyn owners, I posted my recently acquired C1s on agon today. I reluctantly had to sell them due to some recent set backs with finances. I've only had them for about a month now and they will be missed. If anyone is interested,(didn't post thus on agon) I am open to trades as I will probably be replacing them with smaller Dyns for the time being:-(
post #15499 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick05 View Post

Well fellow Dyn owners, I posted my recently acquired C1s on agon today. I reluctantly had to sell them due to some recent set backs with finances. I've only had them for about a month now and they will be missed. If anyone is interested,(didn't post thus on agon) I am open to trades as I will probably be replacing them with smaller Dyns for the time being:-(

Sad to hear. It's too bad you have to part with them, but it's a great price. I'm hoping to buy a secondhand pair in Maple in a year or so.

post #15500 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Sad to hear. It's too bad you have to part with them, but it's a great price. I'm hoping to buy a secondhand pair in Maple in a year or so.

Yeah it was a tough decision but life goes on.

Hey RT, since I'm downsizing here I have a question for you. I know that you had a Naim Unitiqute in the arsenal lately and I have to ask, IYO how do you think it would mate with Excite 12s? I am thinking about just going with a simple solution like this until I recover and make a comeback.
post #15501 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah it was a tough decision but life goes on.

Hey RT, since I'm downsizing here I have a question for you. I know that you had a Naim Unitiqute in the arsenal lately and I have to ask, IYO how do you think it would mate with Excite 12s? I am thinking about just going with a simple solution like this until I recover and make a comeback.

The UnitQute could be the perfect accompaniment to your Excites. For the price it just has everything going for it. Amp and preamp sections based on the Nait 5i, a very good quality DAC with 24/192 streaming (if you get a new one , or secondhand that's had the upgrade board; otherwise, 24/96), iRadio, FM radio, and an set of analog inputs for a turntable.

For an all-purpose all-in-one device I don't think i would pick anything else. I only traded mine in because the amp and preamp sections became redundant, and I upgraded to the ND5 XS network player. I would have loved to keep mine for the bedroom, but funds didn't allow.

UnitiQute is very highly recommended.

post #15502 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:

The UnitQute could be the perfect accompaniment to your Excites. For the price it just has everything going for it. Amp and preamp sections based on the Nait 5i, a very good quality DAC with 24/192 streaming (if you get a new one , or secondhand that's had the upgrade board; otherwise, 24/96), iRadio, FM radio, and an set of analog inputs for a turntable.

For an all-purpose all-in-one device I don't think i would pick anything else. I only traded mine in because the amp and preamp sections became redundant, and I upgraded to the ND5 XS network player. I would have loved to keep mine for the bedroom, but funds didn't allow.

UnitiQute is very highly recommended.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to find a used unit. Did you sell or trade the one that you had? If you traded it, do you know if the dealer still has it?
post #15503 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to find a used unit. Did you sell or trade the one that you had? If you traded it, do you know if the dealer still has it?

I traded it with Music For Pleasure in St. Louis. I'll bet they still have it. It does not have the upgrade, so the streaming is 24/96 (instead of 24/192) and it does not support streaming ALAC files (although it does play ALAC via iPod connection).

You should get it. I broke it in for you very nicely.

post #15504 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Naim...what's the XS-2? Even the Naim website only talks of an XS Integrated amp.

Yet another example of Naim just being so obstinate, that even experienced enthusiasts don't really know what they're all about.

CD

post #15505 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

My apologies for changing the subject from $80k cables made from turds. . . .

Does anyone have any high efficiency (92+ db, preferably 8 ohm) speakers they recommend? I am not getting rid of my Sapphires but I want to play with a couple of low wattage amps from First Watt (Nelson Pass). Thought I might ask people who like the same sound (Dynaudio) what they have liked. I am looking under $5k most likely.

DeVore? Living Voice? Anything else people have heard or had?

Thanks.

Zu Audio Omen or Soul Superfly

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
post #15506 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking of Naim...what's the XS-2? Even the Naim website only talks of an XS Integrated amp.

Yet another example of Naim just being so obstinate, that even experienced enthusiasts don't really know what they're all about.

CD

Wow! Where's the Naim hate comin' from? We only allow Naim love around here.

There is no Nait XS 2, officially. Naim made some changes within the last couple years and people just call it the 2 to distinguish it. I cannot remember what was changed, but I think it might have been just the addition of the Unity Gain (AV bypass) feature.

post #15507 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I also got to hear the TAD CR1, that was an amazing setup. It was all connected to Audio Research gear with a Qusonix media player, and I listened to Diana Krall for about 6 songs, I have to say, that was probably one of the best listening experiences I have had. Super huge soundstage, instrument placement was the best I have heard and it was very musical.

I've heard the TADs four times now, and they are amongst the finest speakers I've ever heard. Truly astonishing.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
post #15508 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Curious as to what you thought about the DeVores. I kind of worry that they are built by a guy whose claim to fame is that he is a great audio salesman. But people seem to like his stuff. Any thoughts on how they compare to Dynaudio stuff?

Would love to hear Devore comparisons, as well. Have only heard the 3XL's briefly, and only with the type of jazz that I'm concerned they were voiced for.
post #15509 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! Where's the Naim hate comin' from? We only allow Naim love around here.

There is no Nait XS 2, officially. Naim made some changes within the last couple years and people just call it the 2 to distinguish it. I cannot remember what was changed, but I think it might have been just the addition of the Unity Gain (AV bypass) feature.

Quite the opposite Dean; I have a healthy curiosity about this brand; how could one not, after all the glowing testimonies of PRaT and musicality. I just find them to be about the least "accessible" brand I have ever encountered...lol.

Even 6-figure, weird, esoteric brands...no one ever heard of before...generally use the same connectors, and cables, etc. as everyone else. It's also hard to follow the product line. Probably why I've never tried it; I don't even know what's a good price, or wtf I'm buying...lol

CD

post #15510 of 24540 Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite the opposite Dean; I have a healthy curiosity about this brand; how could one not, after all the glowing testimonies of PRaT and musicality. I just find them to be about the least "accessible" brand I have ever encountered...lol.

Even 6-figure, weird, esoteric brands...no one ever heard of before...generally use the same connectors, and cables, etc. as everyone else. It's also hard to follow the product line. Probably why I've never tried it; I don't even know what's a good price, or wtf I'm buying...lol

CD

I understand your perspective. Naim does do things differently, and they have different philosophy about how things should work. I'm lucky in that I worked for a Linn/Naim dealer for 4 years in the 80s. Thus, I have been assimililated a long time ago. It's worth it though. I have great synergy with my current system. When I'm at work I can't wait to get home to listen to music.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page