Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15632 of 22876 Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm a Dynaudio owner since a few months ago. At this point my setup consists of:

2x BM 12A
2x BM 14S
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

At this point I wish that I would've went with the BM 15A's for more power, but it's too late now. It would've been $1000 more, though, since I picked up the BM 12A's used.

I think that this is the best sounding two-channel setup for electronic dance music in this price range. Very happy with the result. Pics to follow
post #15633 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 AM

As promised, here's a pic

post #15634 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Happy Good Friday, everyone!

Well, my X16s arrived today!!!!! I am now officially a Dynaudio owner!!!

As some of you have read, about a month ago, I demoed the B&W PM1, Monitor Audio RX8, B&W CM9, Paradigm SE3, Dynaudio X12, and Dynaudio Focus 140 (in that order but at three different stores). At the onset, my goal was a 2.0 system, preferably using bookshelf speakers, costing around $2K, including amplification. While I was blown away by the X12, I never had the chance to audition the X16. And as much as I liked the RX8, it was a larger speaker than what my living conditions would ideally permit.

After listening to the X12 and Focus 140, I had the feeling that my "sweet spot" was in between with the X16. And today I finally found out that my assumption was correct: the X16 has the "efficient" sweetness, to include the imaging and "3D" spaciousness, that I love about the X12 with the the added mid and lower oomph that I like about the Focus 140. While I have only listened to them for about 2-3 hours today and they are still being broken in, they sound amazing. Audio bliss!

In summation, I do want to give my props to Monitor Audio because the RX8 that I demoed was indeed great. But according to my ears, the X16 offers just as much speaker for about $150 less in a bookshelf format. And the X16, without question to my ears, leaves speakers like the B&W PM1, CM9, and Paradigm SE3 in the absolute dust. These latter three make me really scratch my head, wondering what those drivers are doing in those floor-standing speakers that have 2-3 or more drivers in them. Because when it came to the CM9, even with a high-end Bryston setup, I just wasn't hearing it. I don't know how Dynaudio does it, but none of the other bookshelf speakers I've heard to date manage to come close in outputting the same levels and quality of sound.

I would also like the add that my HK 3490 offers PLENTY of power for my needs. I can't turn it up all the way. I can get to around -10 on the dial but then it just is too loud. No clipping or anything like that to my ears. I have my BR player connected to the receiver via digital coax. Audio from the HDTV/HTPC comes via the TV's S/PDIF audio output.

Over six months ago I knew my goal would be to construct a "high value" 2.0 system. And I am quite confident that my mission has been accomplished...for now.

Of course I couldn't have done it without all of your kind help. A big THANK YOU to all.

Happy Easter. And Happy Listening!

(After I do some cleaning, I will try to post some pics.)

Edit: I would also like to thank Dave over at JS Audio for all of his help. If you live in the DC Metro Area, give him a call.
post #15635 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very cool, GT. Welcome to a most happy club.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #15636 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Very cool, GT. Welcome to a most happy club.

Thanks.

Does anyone else agree with me that Dynaudio bookshelf speakers somehow sound better than some competitor brands/sound as good or better as other floorstanding speakers?
post #15637 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Thanks.

Does anyone else agree with me that Dynaudio bookshelf speakers somehow sound better than some competitor brands/sound as good or better as other floorstanding speakers?

Absolutely. I have a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72SE bookshelf speakers that sound better than my Audience 72 floorstanders. I would put them up against a lot of non-Dyn floorstanders as well.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #15638 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Thanks.

I've owned Focus 140s, Contour S1.4s, Special 25s, and now C1 Sigs...and want for nothing! Sure...I don't listen to a lot of pipe-organ or full-scale Classical stuff; but Dyn monitors Rock like nobody's business.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15639 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM

No love for me?
post #15640 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBug View Post

No love for me?

I see a box of tissues; looks like you're loving yourself

(sorry...couldn't resist)

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15641 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I see a box of tissues; looks like you're loving yourself

(sorry...couldn't resist)

CD

I knew I should have removed that box before taking the picture

FYI, I also eat at my desk
post #15642 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

what is it you do?

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
post #15643 of 22876 Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

what is it you do?

At home? Nothing, LOL!

The main reason for my setup is for running Milkdrop

I also do a bit of programming from time to time and it should be useful when I finally start using a DAW to produce some music.
post #15644 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Congrats GT, you did the right thing by spending most of your budget on the speakers.
post #15645 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Congrats GT, you did the right thing by spending most of your budget on the speakers.

+1

(I am very satisfied with my Focus 220mk2s off an old / budget amp..hard to imagine it making a step change again to upgrade the amp..time will tell...)

Happy Easter Listening!
post #15646 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Amazing set-up, do you use that as an entertainment center or do you do serious mixing work?
post #15647 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Amazing set-up, do you use that as an entertainment center or do you do serious mixing work?

Thanks! Entertainment
post #15648 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I like 2-way bookshelf speakers in general. With many brands I think you get a better sound from going up to a higher model line's bookshelf, as opposed to a lower model line's floorstander for the same money.
post #15649 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

I think starting from the Contour 1.4 the Dynes start sounding more like little floor standers than stand mounts.

I think the Contour 1.4 sounds equal in scale to say your typical 38" tall two way floor stander. Especially if given the room and amplification it needs. And in fact the 1.4 digs even deeper than some floor standers which cap out at 40hz.

The c1 and Special 25 is truly special, given a solid back wall, some boundary reinforcement and a decent amplifier I've heard it fill a room that larger floor standers couldn't fill. I once heard it play alongside c2's and the guys in the room thought the c2s were playing, they were all pleasantly surprised to hear that it was the c1. this would be a nice trick in a little hotel room in a hifi show but this was in the open expanse of a large sales floor. The only boundary reinforcement came from the front wall which was around 8 feet behind it.

As for value for money, I believe they're all class leaders. The 3.4 can compete with speakers costing twice as much ( do NOT underestimate the 3.4 ) the 5.4 is better than most speaker lines top of the line offerings, the c1 is a benchmark in small monitor performance I believe in the same league as other superlative stand mounts costing twice or thrice as much. The c4 as John Atkinson noted, can compete with speakers at twice or thrice it's msrp and having lived with the c4 now for a few weeks I can concur, it is shockingly good and I've heard the Xcite x12 and Focus 110/140, and both little guys were just a joy to listen to. Even if I lost my big rig tomorrow I know I could find musical satisfaction even with the littlest dynaudios.

In short GTA, you bought into the right speaker line
post #15650 of 22876 Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Trying to break-in your Dyns mid-bass driver? Crank-up Kids (on Treats) by Sleigh Bells. Holy smokes; I've never seen the C1s flap that way (nor dig so deep, and literally shake the glasses on my face, and blur my vision...lol)

CD

post #15651 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think starting from the Contour 1.4 the Dynes start sounding more like little floor standers than stand mounts.

I think the Contour 1.4 sounds equal in scale to say your typical 38" tall two way floor stander. Especially if given the room and amplification it needs. And in fact the 1.4 digs even deeper than some floor standers which cap out at 40hz.

The c1 and Special 25 is truly special, given a solid back wall, some boundary reinforcement and a decent amplifier I've heard it fill a room that larger floor standers couldn't fill. I once heard it play alongside c2's and the guys in the room thought the c2s were playing, they were all pleasantly surprised to hear that it was the c1. this would be a nice trick in a little hotel room in a hifi show but this was in the open expanse of a large sales floor. The only boundary reinforcement came from the front wall which was around 8 feet behind it.

As for value for money, I believe they're all class leaders. The 3.4 can compete with speakers costing twice as much ( do NOT underestimate the 3.4 ) the 5.4 is better than most speaker lines top of the line offerings, the c1 is a benchmark in small monitor performance I believe in the same league as other superlative stand mounts costing twice or thrice as much. The c4 as John Atkinson noted, can compete with speakers at twice or thrice it's msrp and having lived with the c4 now for a few weeks I can concur, it is shockingly good and I've heard the Xcite x12 and Focus 110/140, and both little guys were just a joy to listen to. Even if I lost my big rig tomorrow I know I could find musical satisfaction even with the littlest dynaudios.

In short GTA, you bought into the right speaker line

GTA, WELCOME to the family of Dynaudio listeners! After having heard a boat load of speakers in my time during my auditioning days, I've always come back to Dynaudio sound.

Dynero, what are using to drive ur C4s? I hv C2s. I'm using BAT/Theta combo in my system.
post #15652 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As for value for money, I believe they're all class leaders. The 3.4 can compete with speakers costing twice as much ( do NOT underestimate the 3.4 )

Agreed.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
post #15653 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 PM

First off, I've have had a pair of Dynaudio A42's for about 10 years. It's the only part of my old system, besides the speaker wire, that has stayed on. And I'm very happy I've kept them. I went super minimal with the new setup: Wadia 151, Wadia 171, and a massive green digital coax that came with the Wadia set. Not an analog RCA in sight.

But here is a bit of confusion: I just received my Dynaudio Stand3's. First thing I did was fill them with loose sand, within an inch of the top. The sound was pretty rigid, much of the liveliness seems to go away. My reference tracks were from Peter Gabriel's So. Manu Katche's cymbals sounded dead. So has some lovely warm, bright, soundsas well as loads of bass from Tony Levin and Manu and Jerry Marrota, and what I was hearing wasn't familiar.

So I took out all the loose sand, and put sand in ziplock bags, filling up the columns a little over half way. This sounded better to me. Next I tried completely empty stands, as I hadn't done this yet. This seems to sounds the best. More open, better range much more alive.

Now I do have a somewhat unusual floor, as it's reclaimed maple flooring from a bowling alley. I'm wondering if the empty stands like my floors better? Or maybe that the Stand3 has such a narrow column, that filing may not be necessary?

I'm happy with liking what I like, but this seems to go against everything I see about filling stands at least half way.

Any thoughts?
post #15654 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks81 View Post

GTA, WELCOME to the family of Dynaudio listeners! After having heard a boat load of speakers in my time during my auditioning days, I've always come back to Dynaudio sound.

Dynero, what are using to drive ur C4s? I hv C2s. I'm using BAT/Theta combo in my system.

I'm using a T+A 1530 power amp, I previously had a Mcintosh 275. I absolutely loved the Mcintosh and coupled to the c4 it gave a gorgeous midrange with great front to back and lateral imaging and lovely tonality but the c4's were deceptively hard to drive and they just didn't come alive with the 275, not enough dynamic expression and slam.

With the 1530, the full expression is there, I'm very happy with this amplifier and the dynamics and the amp itself seems to tonally to sound very neutral more so with it's partner preamp the T+A 1230.

Awesome you have a c2, I've heard the c2 before a couple of times. First time I heard it, I wasn't a fan of it, I thought it was too warm and fuzzy BUT the second time I heard it connected to a modwright pre/power amp wow!! It was fantastic! Incredibly musical. I've heard it also connected to a Plinius set and it sounded pretty good too especially the imaging which just seemed to float independent of the speakers.

I've thought about trying BAT but never had a chance too, it seems BAT can do no wrong though.
post #15655 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiano View Post

I'm happy with liking what I like, but this seems to go against everything I see about filling stands at least half way.

Any thoughts?

I wonder if your empty stands may be slightly ringing along with the music. Almost like a tiny ambience tweeter.

Try keeping your stands filled for a week and listen casually at first, sometimes making a listening decision may take a while to do.

Normally when I evaluate cables I hardly ever listen critically but over the course of casual listening I'll invariably hear character that I didn't hear at first listen.

Good job on the audience 42, for such a modestly priced and sized speaker you have a whole lot of sonic goodness that trounces a lot of newer speakers.
post #15656 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Agreed.

haha i know you do
post #15657 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I wonder if your empty stands may be slightly ringing along with the music. Almost like a tiny ambience tweeter.

Try keeping your stands filled for a week and listen casually at first, sometimes making a listening decision may take a while to do.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it. Although I'll try filling to 3/4 full at first, as I have heard this is a good fill percentage to start with.

Love the A42's. My local Dyn dealer had a big smile when I mentioned them.
post #15658 of 22876 Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Love the A42's. My local Dyn dealer had a big smile when I mentioned them.

First Dynes I ever heard was the Audience 40 when I went home theatre shopping, after listening to B+W, Mission, Energy,PSB all of which sounded tinny and harsh I heard the 40's and was bowled over, I knew my speaker search was done and decided to buy them on the spot. Then I heard the Audience 50 and although I preferred the 40s' imaging i thought I might regret the lack of bass later on and bought the 50s' but the 40 holds a special place in my heart
post #15659 of 22876 Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM

I may be wanting to upgrade my speaker cable. Since this is a Dyn crowd, I thought I'd ask here. I'm not looking—and never would—to spend a lot on cables. But I don't want to use lamp wire, either.

Possibilities, both new and used, so far include—
Kimber 4TC or 8TC
Cardas Twinlink
Dynaudio Ocos One

My current cables are Tara Labs Prism Nexus. 10 years old. Can't remember how much they cost, but they were favorably recommended at the time. It's the only cable I've ever had with the Dyn's.

Any other recommendations?
post #15660 of 22876 Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I may be wanting to upgrade my speaker cable. Since this is a Dyn crowd, I thought I'd ask here. I'm not looking—and never would—to spend a lot on cables. But I don't want to use lamp wire, either.

Possibilities, both new and used, so far include—
Kimber 4TC or 8TC
Cardas Twinlink
Dynaudio Ocos One

My current cables are Tara Labs Prism Nexus. 10 years old. Can't remember how much they cost, but they were favorably recommended at the time. It's the only cable I've ever had with the Dyn's.

Any other recommendations?

Anti-Cables
Nordost White Lightning
Transparent

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page