Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 527 - AVS Forum
First ... 525  526  527 528  529  ... Last
Speakers > Dynaudio Owner's Thread
callas01's Avatar callas01 12:21 PM 04-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_isr View Post

Yes I saw that , may be a bit too late for my decision

But thanks for the info and for your help !

Hmm, thats tough, a guy that I know owns totem forests and we were talking about the 160s vs the forests, he's only heard the 160s at an audio show, which is never good, but he might offer some insite. He really likes both. Ill PM you a link where you could talk with him. Ill let him know who you are.

jamhead's Avatar jamhead 01:51 PM 04-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier N.France View Post

Thank you Mick, although this isn't really good news.

I guess I'll keep the S 1.4 then, purchasing the S 3.4 without being able to drive them correctly makes no sense.

I have s3.4's in my system and drive them with a 300 watt/channel amp (@ 4ohms). My room is 15x25 with 9' ceilings and, although I understand "loud" is relative, I've had my speakers rocking awfully loud and the clipping indicators never signaled on the amp....
Puma Cat's Avatar Puma Cat 02:45 PM 04-25-2012
Quote:

Thank you Mick, although this isn't really good news.

I guess I'll keep the S 1.4 then, purchasing the S 3.4 without being able to drive them correctly makes no sense.

Olivier, not sure what not being to drive them correctly means. Also the 3.4s (Mick, correct me if I'm wrong) should be easier to drive than 1.4s as the 3.4s have markedly larger cabinets and there would be less "sping pressure" generated by the air inside the cabinet than with a smaller cabinet volume.

Also, just to put things in perspective, I drive my 3.4s to very loud listening levels with a 70 Wpc tube amp; louder than I would want to listen to.
Deep and old's Avatar Deep and old 08:19 PM 04-25-2012
Mick.

Thanks for tipping Puma Cat to respond.

Puma Cat.

Thank you for you detailed response. It was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for.
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 12:17 AM 04-26-2012
Jamhead and Puma Cat, thanks, that's encouraging .

Quote:

Also the 3.4s (Mick, correct me if I'm wrong) should be easier to drive than 1.4s as the 3.4s have markedly larger cabinets and there would be less "sping pressure" generated by the air inside the cabinet than with a smaller cabinet volume.

Never thought of it this way, interesting (still, 2 more dBs would have been welcome...)

About watts, I know they don't mean everything, sometimes they can even be misleading. Current is what really matters.

A friend of mine brought his Atma-Sphere MA1 MK2 mono blocks home to try them on my little S 1.4 last summer. The Dyns sounded... well, there's no words. I never thought this speakers could go so far. Now I know that Dynaudio speakers have virtually unlimited possibilities given the right amplifier(s) - the Atma-Sphere are pure Class A 140W each and have almost endless power.

But (there's always a "but" ) I'm a Class D addict, not only for their reasonable size, weight and power consumption but also because - when well done -, they sound great in my opinion. I like the Bel Canto's very much and still can't say for sure if the Hypex are better. If I was to upgrade the amps too, I was thinking of the Ref 1000m (not cheap at all) or maybe the Hypex Ncore NC1200 but the latter are not available yet, at least not as finished and marketable products.

Anyway, thanks for your useful and encouraging answers.
VT Skier's Avatar VT Skier 10:40 AM 04-26-2012
I have the Bel Canto 1000Ms in my movie room, and they're good but I wouldn't use them for two-channel listening (and I tried). I'd wait to hear the Hypex NC1200 once people start using it in their amps.

Plus, the Hypex guys are showing their own amps under a new brand (Mola-Mola) at Munich next month, so you might get some idea about the sound of the new module shortly.
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 02:28 PM 04-26-2012
Hi VT Skier,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post

I have the Bel Canto 1000Ms in my movie room, and they're good but I wouldn't use them for two-channel listening (and I tried).

I think you're right: after many hours of listening, the UcD700 from Hypex are slightly better than the Bel Canto (which cost me more). Smoother, 'silkier', digging a bit deeper and a tad more powerfull. They should handle a pair of 3.4 with ease, which is really good news for me.

Quote:
I'd wait to hear the Hypex NC1200 once people start using it in their amps.

I'd prefer 'straight' NC1200, directly from Hypex and in a rather cheap case (but who cares, the important thing is how they sound) and at the fairest possible price, but I'm not sure this is going to happen. If they sell it, and chances are they will, the price will double or maybe more.

Quote:
Plus, the Hypex guys are showing their own amps under a new brand (Mola-Mola) at Munich next month, so you might get some idea about the sound of the new module shortly.

Yep, I knew that. Can't wait .
Puma Cat's Avatar Puma Cat 10:46 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:

Hi VT Skier,

I think you're right: after many hours of listening, the UcD700 from Hypex are slightly better than the Bel Canto (which cost me more). Smoother, 'silkier', digging a bit deeper and a tad more powerfull. They should handle a pair of 3.4 with ease, which is really good news for me.

I'd prefer 'straight' NC1200, directly from Hypex and in a rather cheap case (but who cares, the important thing is how they sound) and at the fairest possible price, but I'm not sure this is going to happen. If they sell it, and chances are they will, the price will double or maybe more.

Yep, I knew that. Can't wait .

Olivier,
I think you need a pair of Conrad-Johnson LP275M tube mono-blocks!
VT Skier's Avatar VT Skier 05:43 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:

From what I've read, the NC1200 will only be sold to OEMs, or by Mola-Mola themselves, so you'll be looking at buying a finished product from someone. The lower level modules are being sold for DIY.

Hopefully the price won't be too much more (or even less?) than Bel Canto, but we'll have to see.
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 10:04 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Olivier,
I think you need a pair of Conrad-Johnson LP275M tube mono-blocks!

They'e gorgeous and certainly more than excellent but I don't want to even know their price (although I have an idea) .
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 10:18 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post

From what I've read, the NC1200 will only be sold to OEMs, or by Mola-Mola themselves, so you'll be looking at buying a finished product from someone. The lower level modules are being sold for DIY.

Yes, I've read the same .

Quote:
Hopefully the price won't be too much more (or even less?) than Bel Canto, but we'll have to see.

I tend to think - or hope? - they'll be cheaper, maybe not much though. Personally, I don't really care about the look of a shiny case, what's inside is all that counts.

This:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

would me more than enough for me (my current UcD 700 look very much like them except a blue LED instead of an orange one and "MM Audio" instead of "ncore audio power from hypex ®").
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile 10:04 PM 04-30-2012
Had a great time this evening slipping into audio bliss listening to Mark Knopfler's Screenplaying album on my X16s! Highly recommended!
callas01's Avatar callas01 11:26 PM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Had a great time this evening slipping into audio bliss listening to Mark Knopfler's Screenplaying album on my X16s! Highly recommended!

Ill add that to my AMAZON wish list. I do love my Dire Straits Brothers In Arms album on vinyl, so that might be a great one to check out also. Glad to hear you are really liking those X16s as well.

Im looking to buy some Melody Gardot 'My One and Only Thrill' and Two Door Cinema Club 'Tourists History', so I need another cd or 2 to add to my purchase so I dont pay shipping.
tvih's Avatar tvih 05:34 PM 05-01-2012
I actually bought a CD just recently too - something I do quite rarely these days, and only for albums that are really great. I've had some CDs in my wishlist for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger.

The CD in question is from Saara Aalto, who ended up as second instead of a clearly deserved win in the recently-ended The Voice of Finland - and though I personally hadn't heard of her earlier, prior to that she apparently ended up second in the national Eurovision preliminaries last year, and back in 2007 she was in the final of Finland's Talent, as well. I guess the third time wasn't the charm for her! Despite these public appearances she self-funded her album last year, apparently not having received a contract from elsewhere.

Anyway, since I'm a sucker for female singers with a nice voice, she's right up my alley. Her album (Blessed with Love) is also available in Spotify, worth checking out if "epic love pop" (as she describes it) is your thing.

I do realize that came out as an advert pretty much, but I just find it wrong she hasn't broken through even here in Finland despite being quite great in my books, especially as she mostly writes and arranges her own songs, which I find admirable in any solo artist. Ah well, maybe the VoF exposure will finally make good things happen for her.

Her aside... Knopfler. Yeah, his is good stuff as well. Don't have any physical CDs of his, only Brothers In Arms and In Every Street from Dire Straits - but pretty much all of his albums in digital form, including Screenplaying. But GT's post made me realize I haven't actually listened to them in ages. So much music, so little time! Definitely time to queue him up on my playlist, though.

EDIT: Haha. My younger brother just got a pair of floorstanders from a recycling center for literally 5 euros. Having taken a listen, I can't help but feel like a ret... uh, less than intelligent person having spent thousands on my stuff given my finances. Sigh!
lmf22's Avatar lmf22 12:05 PM 05-03-2012
I have the S3.4 and wanted to do some room treatment. The side wall is seems bit close to the right speaker (about 3.5 ft), and the there is a back wall (kitchen counter) behind my listening position to the left. I put some blankets on those areas and it seemed to helped, so I got some Aurelux Wedgies (12"x12"x2" panels). But I am not sure what is the best way to hang them up. Should the entire wall be covered for maximum absorption (see Photo 1 and 2), or in an alternating patter for a combination of absorption and diffusion (Photo 3)?

jamhead's Avatar jamhead 03:48 AM 05-04-2012
Quote:

Jamhead and Puma Cat, thanks, that's encouraging .

Never thought of it this way, interesting (still, 2 more dBs would have been welcome...)

About watts, I know they don't mean everything, sometimes they can even be misleading. Current is what really matters.

A friend of mine brought his Atma-Sphere MA1 MK2 mono blocks home to try them on my little S 1.4 last summer. The Dyns sounded... well, there's no words. I never thought this speakers could go so far. Now I know that Dynaudio speakers have virtually unlimited possibilities given the right amplifier(s) - the Atma-Sphere are pure Class A 140W each and have almost endless power.

But (there's always a "but" ) I'm a Class D addict, not only for their reasonable size, weight and power consumption but also because - when well done -, they sound great in my opinion. I like the Bel Canto's very much and still can't say for sure if the Hypex are better. If I was to upgrade the amps too, I was thinking of the Ref 1000m (not cheap at all) or maybe the Hypex Ncore NC1200 but the latter are not available yet, at least not as finished and marketable products.

Anyway, thanks for your useful and encouraging answers.

Actually, the ability to supply a constant voltage, regardless of impedance, is what's important.
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 07:06 AM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead View Post

Actually, the ability to supply a constant voltage, regardless of impedance, is what's important.

I know more about gardening than electronics, so from this datasheet (link below) could you tell me if this is the case?

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcD700HG_datasheet.pdf

PS. I finally ordered a pair of Contour S 3.4 last friday, they should be here next week, hopefully .
sparks81's Avatar sparks81 10:57 AM 05-04-2012
Quote:

I know more about gardening than electronics, so from this datasheet (link below) could you tell me if this is the case?

PS. I finally ordered a pair of Contour S 3.4 last friday, they should be here next week, hopefully .

Bonjour Olivier N. France, Congratulations! You're going to love the S3.4s. They will take ur listening experience to the next level...and then some. This was my first speaker and experience with Dynaudio. Once again, Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once u get them.

Happy Listening
Dynero's Avatar Dynero 10:58 AM 05-04-2012
Quote:

Jamhead how do you know so much? Are you an electrical engineer?
jamhead's Avatar jamhead 07:31 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Jamhead how do you know so much? Are you an electrical engineer?

You makin' fun of me Dynero?

jamhead's Avatar jamhead 07:37 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:

What would you like to know?

BTW, congrats on the speakers. I think the s3.4's are an incredible bang/buck speaker....solid balance; excellent hi end, and presents a good scale for their size. They also image wonderfully.....I hope you enjoy them.
Dynero's Avatar Dynero 04:42 AM 05-05-2012
Quote:

You makin' fun of me Dynero?

haha no, curious really
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile 08:30 AM 05-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post

I actually bought a CD just recently too - something I do quite rarely these days, and only for albums that are really great. I've had some CDs in my wishlist for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger.

The CD in question is from Saara Aalto, who ended up as second instead of a clearly deserved win in the recently-ended The Voice of Finland - and though I personally hadn't heard of her earlier, prior to that she apparently ended up second in the national Eurovision preliminaries last year, and back in 2007 she was in the final of Finland's Talent, as well. I guess the third time wasn't the charm for her! Despite these public appearances she self-funded her album last year, apparently not having received a contract from elsewhere.

Anyway, since I'm a sucker for female singers with a nice voice, she's right up my alley. Her album (Blessed with Love) is also available in Spotify, worth checking out if "epic love pop" (as she describes it) is your thing.

I do realize that came out as an advert pretty much, but I just find it wrong she hasn't broken through even here in Finland despite being quite great in my books, especially as she mostly writes and arranges her own songs, which I find admirable in any solo artist. Ah well, maybe the VoF exposure will finally make good things happen for her.

Her aside... Knopfler. Yeah, his is good stuff as well. Don't have any physical CDs of his, only Brothers In Arms and In Every Street from Dire Straits - but pretty much all of his albums in digital form, including Screenplaying. But GT's post made me realize I haven't actually listened to them in ages. So much music, so little time! Definitely time to queue him up on my playlist, though.

EDIT: Haha. My younger brother just got a pair of floorstanders from a recycling center for literally 5 euros. Having taken a listen, I can't help but feel like a ret... uh, less than intelligent person having spent thousands on my stuff given my finances. Sigh!

Who knows? Maybe they are high-end but the owner didn't know better? Happens all the time. Here is the States, people have garage sales only to find a copy of the Magna Carta affixed to the back of some family photo.
CDLehner's Avatar CDLehner 08:38 AM 05-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post

Or maybe you really do have ears of wood tvih; or concrete? Perhaps a visit to the ENT is in order?

CD
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile 08:52 AM 05-05-2012
Is Dynaudio getting into ribbon tweeters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etts...feature=relmfu
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 09:55 AM 05-05-2012
Quote:

What would you like to know?

Well, if from these facts one could tell if the Hypex monoblocks will have no problem driving the S 3.4. Never mind, I think they will .

Quote:

BTW, congrats on the speakers. I think the s3.4's are an incredible bang/buck speaker....solid balance; excellent hi end, and presents a good scale for their size. They also image wonderfully.....I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks (and thanks to Sparks81)! I'm quite happy with the S 1.4 now but I do miss a bit of scale and more weight in the bass (my room is about 50 m², so large enough for floorstanders). The rest of my system is MSB CD Data IV (CD transport) -> Audiomat Maestro 2 (DAC) -> Accuphase C-2000 (preamp), no more upgrade for now, the next step would be more powerfull/better monoblocks.
ToxicBug's Avatar ToxicBug 01:40 AM 05-06-2012
By the way, here's a video if anyone's curious what Milkdrop looks like in Eyefinity:

Milkdrop 2.0 in Eyefinity 7680x1440
Dynero's Avatar Dynero 09:32 AM 05-06-2012
Focus 260. This is an astonishing little speaker.

Perhaps Dynaudio's best bang for the buck speaker. The Manny Pacquiao of speakers or maybe Miguel Cotto if you prefer.

a baby Sapphire in sound. I may no longer have to go thru Sappire withdrawal, the sound of the 260 doesn't quite equal the communicativeness of the Sapphire but it comes close enough in character to make me very happy.

very very beautiful in the flesh. The dark wood grain and construction would be utterly welcome in any modern beautiful home. You ever read Dwell magazine, this speaker was made for those homes. Gorgeous.

It sounds amazing for such a modest speaker in size and price, the sound coming from these little guys would be better suited to larger speakers like the 5.4 or 3.3 utterly expansive soundstage with pinpoint imaging.

I'm just gonna say this, I preferred this over any Contour model I've heard. The 3.4 may dig deeper and be a tad more neutral, ditto with the 5.4 but the transparency, balance and musicality of the 260 is just the right balance for me. It is that good. Others will disagree for sure but if I sell the c4's tomorrow because I want to scale down I'm getting the Focus 260.
RaceTripper's Avatar RaceTripper 10:47 AM 05-06-2012
I've been talking about upgrading my S1.4s to the S3.4 demos my dealer plans to let go in the not-too-distant future. Yesterday my wife and I dropped by there to pick up a Moon 310 and Clearaudio Concept to audition over the weekend. She saw the S3.4s standing out of the way and started asking about how much they would be to trade in the S1.4s. She even talked about borrowing her dad's wagon to cart them home for audition. Depending on what they come up with for a price when they let them go, these could end up in our listening room.
Olivier N.France's Avatar Olivier N.France 10:50 AM 05-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Focus 260. This is an astonishing little speaker.

Perhaps Dynaudio's best bang for the buck speaker. The Manny Pacquiao of speakers or maybe Miguel Cotto if you prefer.

a baby Sapphire in sound. I may no longer have to go thru Sappire withdrawal, the sound of the 260 doesn't quite equal the communicativeness of the Sapphire but it comes close enough in character to make me very happy.

very very beautiful in the flesh. The dark wood grain and construction would be utterly welcome in any modern beautiful home. You ever read Dwell magazine, this speaker was made for those homes. Gorgeous.

It sounds amazing for such a modest speaker in size and price, the sound coming from these little guys would be better suited to larger speakers like the 5.4 or 3.3 utterly expansive soundstage with pinpoint imaging.

I'm just gonna say this, I preferred this over any Contour model I've heard. The 3.4 may dig deeper and be a tad more neutral, ditto with the 5.4 but the transparency, balance and musicality of the 260 is just the right balance for me. It is that good. Others will disagree for sure but if I sell the c4's tomorrow because I want to scale down I'm getting the Focus 260.

Yes, I read that review on 6moons and wondered if it wasn't too much (that's almost as if the reviewer says he prefers the Focus 260 over the C1).

Frankly I hesitated, but I felt going from Contour to Focus wasn't really an upgrade for me (plus, I wanted a cherry veener finish that the Focus don't have).

I hope you won't make me regret my choice . . .
Tags: Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems
First ... 525  526  527 528  529  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop