Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #1561 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using my 220's without spikes to gain that mid-bass back. The spikes definitely took some of the punch away... A stereo pair of musical subs should change that soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I noted that a particular magazine rated 72se only 3 stars (which is really bad!) and 220 got 4 stars which is above average.

Certain mags are better than others in their reviews. Still, I don't let someone else make my decision whether I like something or not.

Quote:

The 72se is front ported but the 220 is rear ported. Which has better bass control?

I've never heard these side by side. But, I always liked the original 72 and I love the 220's. Neither are bass shy, but I can understand why someone might think the 220's have a healthier bass, which I like. It's a no brainer to me as the 220 is a looker.

As with just about any rear ported speaker, placement is key and several positions should be tried.

The best advice I could give someone interested in the 220's is to choose an amplifier with some guts. At a minimum I would go with something like the Parasound Halo A23 or A52.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #1563 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure you can still get 72se's from an authorized dealer.
post #1564 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM

First of all, many thanks to TTownTony for helping with my speaker decision and his absolutely excellent service! I shopped for a long time and Tony was by far the most pleasurable person to deal with. Not only does he have incredible knowledge but he is also great at helping people find the best fit for them.

My setup so far: Focus 220's, 220c & sub 500.
To get list:
(1) In-ceiling for rears (waiting for the Dynaudio to come out)
(2) AMP - I need some Power! I am currently using a Yamaha 5860 rcvr which is obviously not enough. I won't have the funds for a new amp for a while, so am checking Audiogone and trying to decide between a used Parasound 1205A or wait until I can afford a new Parasound A52 or New Classic. Any advice is welcome!

Kevin
post #1565 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Let those 220's stretch out with the A51! They really benefit with more watts (but I have not heard them with the A52, im sure it must be darn close). If that is to much of a hit for the pocket book, How 'bout the A21 for music listening in the fronts and a lesser $$ amp for the rest. Plenty of Halo's pop up on A-gon though.
post #1566 of 24120 Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iornsman View Post

To get list:
(2) AMP - I need some Power! I am currently using a Yamaha 5860 rcvr which is obviously not enough. I won't have the funds for a new amp for a while, so am checking Audiogone and trying to decide between a used Parasound 1205A or wait until I can afford a new Parasound A52 or New Classic. Any advice is welcome!

Kevin

Congrats on your new setup. As nice of the Halo line is, if it comes down to A52 versus Classic 5250, I would choose the 5250. Im a big believer in lots of power. Dynaudios typically sound best when given lots of headroom.
post #1567 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggy View Post

I am currently using my 220's without spikes to gain that mid-bass back. The spikes definitely took some of the punch away...

Will it help? I'm using Focus 220 without spikes and the problem of weak mid-bass is still here... Compared to B&W 704, drums played on Focus 220 lacks authority and punch, it seems that percussion if far away vocals and guitars.

It's paradoxal, Focus 220 derlivers plenty of bass but it's some 'amorphic', mid-bass and drums played on 220 seem underweighted.
post #1568 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I am currently using my 220's without spikes to gain that mid-bass back. The spikes definitely took some of the punch away...

Will it help? I'm using Focus 220 without spikes and the problem of weak mid-bass is still here... Compared to B&W 704, drums played on Focus 220 lacks authority and punch, it seems that percussion if far away vocals and guitars.

It's paradoxal, Focus 220 derlivers plenty of bass but it's some 'amorphic', mid-bass and drums played on 220 seem underweighted.

Maybe its the flat and neutral character of them that just does no appeal to you? There are other less laid back punchy-er speaker brands out there, but Im sure someone else could give a much more technical and educated response than me
post #1569 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl View Post

What components are you using with these Dynaudios? Because the crossovers are truly phase coherent, if you are using a preamp/source the inverts phase it can wreak havoc on the sound.
post #1570 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bomber View Post

Hopefully you guys won't consider me a poser. As much as I wish I could afford factory speakers, I only own DIY speakers with Dynaudio drivers. .......snip...... Will an Audience 122C timber match with D260/17W75 drivers?

Bomber

Any input would be appreciated

It's never over, it's never finished....it's never cheap.

MY HT --> Show AVS Gallery Images
post #1571 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New Speakers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, many thanks to TTownTony for helping with my speaker decision and his absolutely excellent service! I shopped for a long time and Tony was by far the most pleasurable person to deal with. Not only does he have incredible knowledge but he is also great at helping people find the best fit for them.

Kevin, I'm glad you posted here. You are now a part of the family.

I have a Parasound A51 just delivered, we can bring over and let you try with your new Dyn's to help you make your decision. When you demoed these in the showroom, we had the little Parasound Halo A23 powering them.....sounded pretty darn good didn't it. The A23 is just an amazing amp. The 5250 is nearly equal as good as the A51 in performance, it would be an excellent choice. FWIW, everyone knows I love the Halos. I just finished up a project for a client that we used the Halos throughout the house consisting of the following: 3xA51 Amps, 2xC2 Processors, 1xC1 Processor, 1xA21 Amp. All driving about $35K worth of Triad custom in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. Killer system!!!!!!!

BTW, the new showroom now has walls up, drop ceilings in, and has been painted. We're building the cabinetry and theater rooms now. The 2-channel room will come shortly after with Dynaudio C1's in piano black sitting front and center flanked by the Focus 220's and some stuff from our Triad and Aerial Acoustics lines. I have 6 project houses going now, which is limiting our ability to finish our own stuff out, but I guess that is a good thing. Enjoy your Dyn's and give me a call when you want to set everything up and we'll dial it all in. Thanks again.

post #1572 of 24120 Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any input would be appreciated

PM Dynlunatic he can help out.

FWIW, I've always liked the Audience 122c. For it's size it does a great job. Before we became Dyn dealers I purchased this exact center with some 122 mains and I just really liked the sound. What made me fall in love with Dynaudio was the 1.8mkii and Contour 3.3, that is where the love affair all began.

post #1573 of 24120 Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

What components are you using with these Dynaudios? Because the crossovers are truly phase coherent, if you are using a preamp/source the inverts phase it can wreak havoc on the sound.

I'm using CD NAD M5 and amplifier Primare I30. But I sold Primare, it's not enough powerful to drive the 220, and have ordered Krell KAV 400 xi, I hope that 400xi will help to control the bass. Actually I have plenty of low, low bass but mid-bass and upper bass, that give normally impression of 'drive' and 'punch', are some lightweighted, attenuated.
post #1574 of 24120 Old 11-16-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Maybe its the flat and neutral character of them that just does no appeal to you? There are other less laid back punchy-er speaker brands out there, but Im sure someone else could give a much more technical and educated response than me

Before having purchased Focus 220 I tried :

B&W 704 - awesome mid-bass, punchy, but some shy sound and harshness on the top end. Dynaudio Esotec+ is much more better, delicate ans subtile, that the B&W tweeter.

Focal Electra 926 - too analytical, "clinical" sound. The bottom end rather disappointing

Dynaudio 72SE - punchy mid-bass but 'cheap' design and midrange a bit
forward, inclining vocals toward the listener, I don't like it. Tweeter of the 72SE is not as goos as that of the 220.
post #1575 of 24120 Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Hi,

Have anyone try IA Onkyo A9555 + Audience 50 combos? The Onkyo has a good review and I want to set up a system for the master bedroom.

Thanks,

Zi
post #1576 of 24120 Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl View Post

I'm using CD NAD M5 and amplifier Primare I30. But I sold Primare, it's not enough powerful to drive the 220, and have ordered Krell KAV 400 xi, I hope that 400xi will help to control the bass. Actually I have plenty of low, low bass but mid-bass and upper bass, that give normally impression of 'drive' and 'punch', are some lightweighted, attenuated.

The Primare I30 is actually a very good amplifier. It does have a phase inverting mode on it, so maybe it was in the wrong mode.

However, the Krell KAV400xi is an incredible little integrated. I used to own 1 and is was very impressed with what it could do. Its very high current, so it should extract everything out of your 220s.
post #1577 of 24120 Old 11-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the Stereophile review of the C1s is now online. Have a read. Sounds like an advertisement given the endorsement of the author.
post #1578 of 24120 Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
CLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight View Post

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the Stereophile review of the C1s is now online. Have a read. Sounds like an advertisement given the endorsement of the author.

Thanks for the info. Read it and found the review IMHO, dead on. This is one of the very few speakers that can compare with the midrange lushness of an ESL pretty close.

Vin
post #1579 of 24120 Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 AM

I need some help on a ht receiver for dynaudio 42's in austraila
options
cambridge audio 540r v2 - $600
or
NAD t744 rrp 1000, or stretch budget to NAD t754 rrp 1499
post #1580 of 24120 Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM

This kinda a side question. But what is the main difference between the parasound Classic and Halo's sound characteristics? I know Ttowntony is a firm backer of the Halo line. I'm just wondering with the Focus140 or Audience52 would or if any difference would be obseved between the Clasic2125 and the HaloA23?
post #1581 of 24120 Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Chico, both sound great. Here are the major differences, though. The Halo is a Class A/AB design the NC is not and runs a bit cooler if you are going to sandwhich into a tight space. Halo draws 45 amperes peak per channel the NC is 35. The NC is rated for continuous operation with 2 ohm loads (impressive). The NC has A & B speaker selection.

So, there are the major specification differences. I do feel the A23 has the better overall sound. However, the NC2125 has a warm sound and offers some nice features. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Quote:

Yep, if you don't own these already run to your nearest dealer and treat yourself to something very nice.

post #1582 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 AM

You got that right! Decisions decisions! But the temoerature spec is quite useful considering both my location and my tight spacing. Since the NC has A and B speaker post would it be possible to biamp?
But i still must say the Halo looks so much sweeter. I'll email my local dealer and see what they damage for it on the island.
post #1583 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iornsman View Post

To get list:

Kevin

Kevin,
The in IC17 ceiling Dynaudio speakers are now available at $750 a pair and use the same mid range driver as the IP17 in wall with a 3/4 inch soft tweeter. The bass response in ceiling is 45 Hz and the off axxis high frequency response is amazing.

Mick

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #1584 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The 72 SE is offically discontinued and is not being produced but some inventory remains for those that have other Audience speakers and want to match. The Focus 220 is a far superior speaker and as good as the 72SE is the 220 uses technology closer to the current Contour series unlike the 72SE which is based on the old Contour series with an Audience cabinet.

Everyone needs to check out the new Stereophile because the Confidence C-4 was named co loudspeaker of the year and this is coming off of the C-1's smashing review in the November Stereophile. Positive Feedback on line also has Chip Stern calling the C-4 his loudspeaker of the year and gives it an amazing review.

SIncerely,
Mick

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #1585 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

The 72 SE is offically discontinued and is not being produced ... The Focus 220 is a far superior speaker

But if You compare frequency caracteristics, it's obvious that the 72SE is 1) easier to drive that the Focus 220, 2) more 'universal', good for the rock or hard rock music if the 220 is rather, IMHO, for the classic music, 3) less sensible to the (bad) quality of recordings. With Focus 220 I think that 20-30% of my CD collection is not good for use...
post #1586 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dynlunatic,how are the Sapphires breaking in? Can you give us more insight into their sonics? How does it differ from the Confidence line (C1 and C2)?
post #1587 of 24120 Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

Kevin,
The in IC17 ceiling Dynaudio speakers are now available at $750 a pair and use the same mid range driver as the IP17 in wall with a 3/4 inch soft tweeter. The bass response in ceiling is 45 Hz and the off axxis high frequency response is amazing.

Mick

Mick,

Where can I learn more about these, didn't see them on the website.

I have 2 very old in ceiling speakers above the bed, and this might be a good reason to upgrade.

Michael
post #1588 of 24120 Old 11-23-2007, 04:00 AM

Hello,

I have contour S3.4 and I have some thoughts about older 5ch amps. Any input on these "classics" ?

- Sunfire Grand Cinema (version 1, first gen)
- Parasound HCA-2205A
- Rotel RB-991, RB-993

Old reviews on all of them are usually very good. But if anyone had real-life experience thats good. The Sunfire I think have some intriguing features (very cold, different settings for the sound etc). Parasound I hear alot of praise. Rotel always decent stuff.

And things like build quality, problems, hum-noice is also interesting.

Regards
post #1589 of 24120 Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Hello Dynaudio fans. I like Dynaudio speakers and i want to byu. Please help me Now i have Marantz PM-17 amplifier and CD-17 player. My room is 18 square meter and i listen rock and jazz. At first i want to change my old speakers to Dynaudio. I look Focus 110, 140 or Contour s1.4. What you recomended for me? Thank you, best regards, Roland
post #1590 of 24120 Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Hello everybody! Yesterday I brought home a pair of Contour 3.0 and I need help with the amp decission. I am between de Primare i30 and the Unison Research Unico SE. Wich one will handle the Contours better? Are they enough? Thank you!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page