post #22231 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

CD: I thought you were pretty hot on Hegel from the Int. Amp stand point. I did what your doing and tried and tried different products and the best match too my ears is still in my HT room. Once you sell some thing off you really like, the quest for some thing better can take years and a lot of money. Perfect example is I tried tons of Pre/Amp and Amp combos and tons of Int. Amps, the best match I had was my KW-500 Int. Musical Fidelity Amp and
my Dynaudio C2s, when I sold the Int. Amp, I must have spent 5 years trying to find something that good. So, what did I do? Bought back my old Int. Amp from the Doctor I sold it to, and he barely used it. biggrin.gif

Let me know what you think of the Oppo unit as I was looking at buying one once I saw a review on it.

Garman, initially I was hot on Hegel. But when my 10wpc tube IA sounded better to my ears; it gave me reason for pause. Now…we’re talking a very small sample-size; this was in my Office rig, with KEF LS-50s. I think it did fare better…when I briefly moved it to the Main room, driving the PMC OB1i; and I also want to say, that in that set-up…I fed it with my Mytek DAC, rather than use the H-80s internal one.

So…I wouldn’t call it bad; but I can’t fully “endorse” it, based on my limited and specific experience. I guess if I were to give anyone advice…it’s that I suspect the amp section is better than the DAC. With Hegel, I was always curious about the H-200…because I don’t like built-in DACs. If I were to try one…it would have to be from a company, whose standalone DACs I already like (for example…a Wyred 4 Sound mINT). But the H-80 seemed like a good choice for the Office, because I wanted one less box. YMMV

As for the Oppo; I’ve still only had limited time with it…and still only as fixed-output DAC. But my impressions so far, are…it’s a very clean, crisp; very detailed DAC. It’s Sabre through and through! Works nicely in my system…as I have a tube pre-amp, and warm-ish speakers (whether it be the outgoing PMC OB1i, the KEF LS-50s I have in there temporarily…or the incoming, due-to-arrive-today new ones biggrin.gif)

But…really, as always; I’d watch system-matching very closely. If you tend to like “analog-sounding” DACs; this ain’t it, lol.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22232 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
jamesblond: I am with you! One of the main reasons I love Dynaudio so much is their impeccably good sound, the other is they make everything down to the glue in house, that is remarkable, and I hope they stay around years too come. I am looking at a pair of XEO for my house as well, the Scan speak drivers are from a famous engineer that Dali hired awhile back ago, so his influence is pretty evident in their line. I do like the sound as the Dali line as the mix of the tweeters does sound very good. I just got done auditioning a bunch of speakers and liked them all for different reasons, but I am still thinking of upgrading my C2s if possible, basically a trade it. I think more companies should do this too keep them in the brand, and instead of straying off course like I have, which isn't a bad thing either. LOL biggrin.gif

CD: Thanks for the feedback, I am about ready to jump full force into Digital Playback, and I am slowing converting my CDs over to the best format I can use for playback. A daunting task as I use to work at a CD store in college and have a ton of these silver discs laying around! LOL wink.gif I am currently trying out a DC-1 from Emotiva and it sounds great as a Dac and not bad as a pre/amp (second system) using with the Dali speakers I have. I also am seriously thinking of upgrading my Dynaudio's C2s I just need to make a date with Tyler and listen too them.
post #22233 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Crap. Just got a reply from the local Dynaudio Office. They won't supply any units, other than the one I'd send in. So, if I were to send in my d28/2 in order to buy a d280 from them, that won't be possible. I'll the same unit back.

I guess I'll just start with a cross-over upgrade and see what that brings me.
post #22234 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post

Crap. Just got a reply from the local Dynaudio Office. They won't supply any units, other than the one I'd send in. So, if I were to send in my d28/2 in order to buy a d280 from them, that won't be possible. I'll the same unit back.

I guess I'll just start with a cross-over upgrade and see what that brings me.

They are very paranoid these days sending units out unless they get the same units back in, if there is a problem with one, they have no issues repairing them. The only other suggestion is you send the whole speaker in and ask them if they can put the different tweeter in for you. Back in the day they use to sell raw drivers on the open market and the lovely Chinese decided to make fake Dynaudio which they are still doing today. So this doesn't surprise me. Your only other option is to look for some on Ebay or buy another speaker and remove the tweeter from it, or upgrade your Center Channel to the Contour line or even the new Excite line as they have a newer tweeter which will most likely have the sound your looking for.
post #22235 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 17
Alright, so yesterday I put the final treatments in the right place.

Here is what I have done:
I first bought myself some measuring equipment. I just searched the net a bit for affordable equipment that is good enough for measurement. I came down to the Tascam US-122MKII as a sound card, since it is ruler flat out of the box, so no bothersome calibrating. For a mic I choose the Behringer ecm8000. Both are quite cheap and good out of the box. Why? because measuring beats guessing and helps fine-tuning stuff like your listening position and pin pointing problems.

Next I ordered a book called "Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms" By Floyd E Toole (http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092). Why? Just to get my own knowledge a bit up. I like the book, because it also takes into account psychoacoustics and is based around a lot of tests. What I learned from all this:
- To fix low frequency problems, the best way to do this, is to use multiple subwoofers, with an optimum having four subwoofers, one in each corner. You could also use an EQ, but it can't fix severe nulls, and an EQ only works on a single position, making other listening positions worse. Bass traps only work well from around 70Hz and up, meaning the true problem area of loud and deep bass humps can't be fixed with treatments. The guys @ GiK also confirmed this and suggested EQ'ing.
- The book advises to not treat the first order side wall reflections for stereo listening. Multiple tests showed that people actually prefer untreated side walls, because it makes the sound image wider and ads spaciousness and envelopment.
- Over-treating a room is a bad idea. Reflections are not a bad thing and tests showed that reflections are actually needed to make speech more intelligible.
- Front and back walls can be treated, since those walls don't add anything good and cause comb filtering (though there are doubts that a human can actually 'hear' the comb filtering you see in the higher frequency range).

Alright, now I am 'smart', now what?

Next I filled in a contact form at the website of GiK Acoustics to get some free advice for my room. Got a reply pretty quickly.

It was no sales pitch at all. I think the first week I've been moving with my listening position and fiddling with my sub, sending measurements to the guy from GiK to get everything as optimal as possible. We hadn't talked about treatments at all, until I suggested we should.

I ended up moving my couch a little forward and moved the crossover of my sub to 22Hz to make the hump @33Hz and the dip @46Hz smaller. I also asked what to do with the soundstage that is leaning to the left. The guy from GiK suggested it was caused by both the slanted roof on the left side, causing louder reflections and the cabinets that hang on my right wall, that absorb reflections. He suggested to hang treatments on the slanted ceiling.

So what did I end up ordering?
- Three monster bass traps on the back wall with my very own artwork on it *looks proud cool.gif *
- 2 black 244 bass traps on the front wall.
- 2 white 244 bass traps on the slanted ceiling.

I already had the four white Tri traps.

Here are the obligatory pictures:

The sound? Better then I expected. My expectations weren't to high since I am very down to earth when it comes to audio. I am not the type of person that can rave about huge differences between great gear and other great gear.

The biggest change is in the overall clarity of the sound. The soundstage is clean and precise. The soundstage even became a little wider and extends slightly further to the right, but still a major bias to the left. What is exciting me the most though is texture and timbre. It's almost scary how 'real' and 'unique' instruments, voices or even digital sound waves sound. The first thing I played was some real old 8-bit video game music and I immediately heard a difference in the sound of the square and pulse waves and their raw texture. The sound also feels more airy and playing it loud is awesome!

I must say I am happy with the result and glad I made the investment. It even looks much better then expected (again, low expectations).

Wooo wait, that was not all!

I also ordered a MiniDSP, which is a small, cheap analog equalizer to straighten out the frequencies below 200Hz. I tried it out yesterday, using REW measurements as input, but the sound felt incredibly downgraded. All the great things I gained with the treatments, seemed to be gone. The bass felt very dull. Maybe I am a bass head eek.gif , I dunno, but it didn't feel good at all. I thought I maybe dreamed that the room treatments sounded so good, but when I removed the MiniDSP the great sound was back again.

I haven't really researched how it set it up the right way, but out of the box, no. I will give it another chance once I've done a bit more research. Maybe I should've went with an all digital EQ after all, to prevent any degradation of the sound.. maybe.. at least I have something left to toy with in this current room.

cheers!
lulimet likes this.
post #22236 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr Q: Setup looks great too me and I of course love the C1s I use to own the first and second versions! biggrin.gif and I am a Apple Fan as well.
post #22237 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
9CB07968-D5BF-4306-8705-5D71297EB34D_zpsdhcoq6xh.jpg

New room with a quick setup furniture will be moved on Saturday.
samsung84 likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #22238 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Looks great Callas! It'll be exciting to watch and read the progress in the new house.:D

Did you get a chance to have a quick listen?

post #22239 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

Looks great Callas! It'll be exciting to watch and read the progress in the new house.biggrin.gif

Did you get a chance to have a quick listen?
Listened to a lil Michael Jackson thriller and half of avengers (no calibration tho) and so far things sound pretty good. Pulling the speakers further into the room actually improved the bass with music.

post #22240 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Nice room Steve. Pull the speakers out as far as you can and still use the room. Maybe time to consider some C2's!!! wink.gif
post #22241 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

I first bought myself some measuring equipment. I just searched the net a bit for affordable equipment that is good enough for measurement. I came down to the Tascam US-122MKII as a sound card, since it is ruler flat out of the box, so no bothersome calibrating. For a mic I choose the Behringer ecm8000. Both are quite cheap and good out of the box. Why? because measuring beats guessing and helps fine-tuning stuff like your listening position and pin pointing problems.

Next I ordered a book called "Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms" By Floyd E Toole (http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092). Why? Just to get my own knowledge a bit up. I like the book, because it also takes into account psychoacoustics and is based around a lot of tests. What I learned from all this:
- To fix low frequency problems, the best way to do this, is to use multiple subwoofers, with an optimum having four subwoofers, one in each corner. You could also use an EQ, but it can't fix severe nulls, and an EQ only works on a single position, making other listening positions worse. Bass traps only work well from around 70Hz and up, meaning the true problem area of loud and deep bass humps can't be fixed with treatments. The guys @ GiK also confirmed this and suggested EQ'ing.
- The book advises to not treat the first order side wall reflections for stereo listening. Multiple tests showed that people actually prefer untreated side walls, because it makes the sound image wider and ads spaciousness and envelopment.
- Over-treating a room is a bad idea. Reflections are not a bad thing and tests showed that reflections are actually needed to make speech more intelligible.
- Front and back walls can be treated, since those walls don't add anything good and cause comb filtering (though there are doubts that a human can actually 'hear' the comb filtering you see in the higher frequency range).

Next I filled in a contact form at the website of GiK Acoustics to get some free advice for my room. Got a reply pretty quickly.

It was no sales pitch at all. I think the first week I've been moving with my listening position and fiddling with my sub, sending measurements to the guy from GiK to get everything as optimal as possible. We hadn't talked about treatments at all, until I suggested we should.

I ended up moving my couch a little forward and moved the crossover of my sub to 22Hz to make the hump @33Hz and the dip @46Hz smaller. I also asked what to do with the soundstage that is leaning to the left. The guy from GiK suggested it was caused by both the slanted roof on the left side, causing louder reflections and the cabinets that hang on my right wall, that absorb reflections. He suggested to hang treatments on the slanted ceiling.

- Three monster bass traps on the back wall with my very own artwork on it *looks proud cool.gif *

The sound? Better then I expected. My expectations weren't to high since I am very down to earth when it comes to audio. I am not the type of person that can rave about huge differences between great gear and other great gear.

The biggest change is in the overall clarity of the sound. The soundstage is clean and precise. The soundstage even became a little wider and extends slightly further to the right, but still a major bias to the left. What is exciting me the most though is texture and timbre. It's almost scary how 'real' and 'unique' instruments, voices or even digital sound waves sound. The first thing I played was some real old 8-bit video game music and I immediately heard a difference in the sound of the square and pulse waves and their raw texture. The sound also feels more airy and playing it loud is awesome!

I must say I am happy with the result and glad I made the investment. It even looks much better then expected (again, low expectations).

I also ordered a MiniDSP, which is a small, cheap analog equalizer to straighten out the frequencies below 200Hz. I tried it out yesterday, using REW measurements as input, but the sound felt incredibly downgraded. All the great things I gained with the treatments, seemed to be gone. The bass felt very dull. Maybe I am a bass head eek.gif , I dunno, but it didn't feel good at all. I thought I maybe dreamed that the room treatments sounded so good, but when I removed the MiniDSP the great sound was back again.

I haven't really researched how it set it up the right way, but out of the box, no. I will give it another chance once I've done a bit more research. Maybe I should've went with an all digital EQ after all, to prevent any degradation of the sound.. maybe.. at least I have something left to toy with in this current room.

cheers!

Atta boy!

So, there is something to these treatments after all.........
post #22242 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post

Nice room Steve. Pull the speakers out as far as you can and still use the room. Maybe time to consider some C2's!!! wink.gif
What have you been talkin to rhett ??

Thank you for the compliment !

post #22243 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Listened to a lil Michael Jackson thriller and half of avengers (no calibration tho) and so far things sound pretty good. Pulling the speakers further into the room actually improved the bass with music.

I gave MJ's greatest hits a listen the other day, it sounded surprisingly good. 

Switched out the bookshelves for the towers as fronts and found the same thing, although not just in the bass department, everything as a whole seemed to improve. I've got them 3ft from the back of the speaker to the wall right now, the imaging and soundstage have stepped up a notch in this position as well.

That's a much larger space to fill, did the system sound more spacious or larger now that's the speakers have more room to breath? Is the bass tighter now? It also could be less overhang on the bass notes due to the larger space. Just speculating on that one though.

post #22244 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What have you been talkin to rhett ??

Thank you for the compliment !
Haven't been talking to Rhett much. He is coming here on Sat. Isn't that enough??? biggrin.gif
post #22245 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Switched out the bookshelves for the towers as fronts and found the same thing, although not just in the bass department, everything as a whole seemed to improve. I've got them 3ft from the back of the speaker to the wall right now, the imaging and soundstage have stepped up a notch in this position as well.

That's a much larger space to fill, did the system sound more spacious or larger now that's the speakers have more room to breath? Is the bass tighter now? It also could be less overhang on the bass notes due to the larger space. Just speculating on that one though.
Well it's hard to say exactly how they're sounding there's a lot if echoing due to the hardwood floors and lack of furniture to deaden anything. But the bass has opened up and sounds more pronounced and tighter right now. They do sound bigger. Playing MJs greatest hits as well.. Not thriller album, the further back I stepped the larger and larger everything sounded. The left front is 2 ft from the wall and they are both 21 inches from the back of the speakers to the wall.
Once I get everything setup and calibrated I'll borrow your omni mic and see what I really need to do.
That's good to hear about the towers. I was looking for gloss white RX6 on agon an eBay but no luck so far. However I think I'll be buying a pair of gloss white Dali Zensor 5s.... It's what the wife wants 😃 Is this setup still gonna find it's way to being on sale?

post #22246 of 23080 Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't been talking to Rhett much. He is coming here on Sat. Isn't that enough??? biggrin.gif
Sure a therapy session or 3 with your shrink should cure you after he leaves.

post #22247 of 23080 Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:

I've noticed there are some MJ albums out there that contain remasters. Those remaster don't sound nearly as good as the original releases. That's a shame, because the original masters are from way before the loudness war determined dynamics- and they sound really good! If you compare Billy Jean from Thriller and Man in the mirror from Bad with the versions from History, you'll definitely hear a diffrerence in favour of the originals.

I've heard the original two-track mix of Thriller (the mix before mastering) in Bruce Swedien's own studio in Ocala, Florida, on his Westlake monitors. Oh! My! God!! Now THAT sounded fantastic!! I wish I had a room like that!
post #22248 of 23080 Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

cheers!

Well done Mister, well done!
post #22249 of 23080 Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Ever have a carrier bring one speaker...but not the other!! mad.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22250 of 23080 Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I sold a pair of Focal tower speakers about a month ago. Of course each speaker had its own box so there were two boxes shipped. The buyer in TX got one speaker on a Friday and the other one the following Monday. lol
post #22251 of 23080 Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I sold a pair of Focal tower speakers about a month ago. Of course each speaker had its own box so there were two boxes shipped. The buyer in TX got one speaker on a Friday and the other one the following Monday. lol

Yeah...that's bad enough; but I got one yesterday, and the carrier has no earthly idea...where the other one even is!! mad.gifmad.gif

post #22252 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you get a tracking # or 2? I ordered a pair of Stand 4 and got bases and top plates along with 1 set of tubes on a Friday and the other 2 tubes on Monday in 2 separate shipping tubes. But I did get 2 tracking #'s
post #22253 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you get a tracking # or 2? I ordered a pair of Stand 4 and got bases and top plates along with 1 set of tubes on a Friday and the other 2 tubes on Monday in 2 separate shipping tubes. But I did get 2 tracking #'s

2 tracking #s; just one shows no scan activity in the system whatsoever...like it never was received. Dealer told me, the 2 boxes were side-by-side...and the driver took possession of both. Go figure confused.gif

post #22254 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

2 tracking #s; just one shows no scan activity in the system whatsoever...like it never was received. Dealer told me, the 2 boxes were side-by-side...and the driver took possession of both. Go figure confused.gif

What did you buy anyway?

post #22255 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

What did you buy anyway?

Can I get some help, with treatments now? wink.gif

All will be revealed...tongue.gif

post #22256 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Nice choice!
post #22257 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

CD: Didn't you get some new PCM speakers? wink.gif Are you still looking for the Holy Grail? biggrin.gif The above speakers for sure is not even remotely close eek.gif hahahaha
post #22258 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Can I get some help, with treatments now? wink.gif

All will be revealed...tongue.gif

I'll go get a doctor for you that can give a treatment for mental breakdown wink.gif
post #22259 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Well according to engineers paper cone drivers are great to use because they are light weight but they don't last and get damage easily. You would think now that Bose is charging a premium price for old technology they at least couldn't dip them in a polymer to make them last longer. LOL The only Bose thing I have ever owned was one of their small box for music playback in an office and that lasted about 6 months because I wanted quality.
post #22260 of 23080 Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

CD: Didn't you get some new PCM speakers? wink.gif Are you still looking for the Holy Grail? biggrin.gif The above speakers for sure is not even remotely close eek.gif hahahaha

No...I got these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

Got a great review in Stereophile; and I basically buy my gear, based on their reviews http://www.stereophile.com/content/dayton-audio-b652-loudspeaker
amatuerholic likes this.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page