Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

To CD: Is the Oppo unit a Keeper?
Does he ever keep anything for longer than a month?
amatuerholic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22292 of 23289 Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
What would be a good unit to use with Special Twenty Fives? Sometimes some high end MF gear finds it's way to the second hand market web sites. At the moment there is a choice of M6 PRX, A3.5 int.amp, KW250, an A308 and a Tri Vista 300 set. I'm somewhat interested in the A308, but all of these pieces of gear cost serious €€€, even used.
James, all those units would work well, I have had all of them in my system the TriVisa 300 is pretty sweet the A3.5 is your best bet for a good Int. Amp that won't break the bank, all of them will drive the Dynaudio's the way you want them, as Dynaudio used MF during a lot of the CES and other shows in the past.

lulimet: He rotates them as I have seen 3 pairs of Special 25s and several pairs of C1s.....

CD: Once you find some thing you like it is called a keeper. My match up with the KW-500 Int. Amp and C2s and KEF LS50 is for sure a keeper. I currently have the Emotiva Pre/Amp combo similar to the Oppo but not nearly as user friendly, or the nice GUI interface. This would be for a back up system and one I can use with DSD Files, that is why I was looking at the Oppo. I need another pair of speakers like I need a hole in my head, but I really liked the new Magnepan 1.7s as they image like no other speaker I have heard and the amount of detail and quality you get out of a American Made speaker is pretty surprising!

Last edited by Garman; 06-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #22293 of 23289 Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
Does he ever keep anything for longer than a month?
I do the good stuff.

No, listen; I'm the first admit...I move sideways a lot. Had fun, but probably slowing down.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22294 of 23289 Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
MF gear goes very well with Dynaudio's, but in your case I would go with the Naim. When you start getting into the M6i, is where things start to sound much nicer.

To CD: Is the Oppo unit a Keeper?
I did like the M3i. There were things about the M3i I liked more then the naim 5i, and vice versa but overall the 5i was more complete top to bottom. I wanted to try the M6i because of the reasons I liked the M3i, but I also liked Naim very much and when I couldn't find the M6i I just went back to naim and bought the similarly priced XS-2. If I could find a M6i used at a good price and had the money I'd do a in home trial CD style.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #22295 of 23289 Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

callas01: I have owned a ton of Dynaudio speakers and owned a ton of Musical Fidelity gear, why because we sold it at our store many years ago back when MF sounded great but was not engineered very well. Since 2000 their product have vastly improved on both ends. If I did not have my KW-500 Int. Amp, I would have kept my M6i, I did have the M3i in my office for a few years, but wasn't using it much so I sold it and went with a Marantz Int. 8004. Dali and Dynaudio happen to mate very well with MF gear, the sound is almost tube like with great detail and precision. Well some of the MF gear should sound tube like as some of their gear like my KW-500 have a tube output stage.

Here is one up for bid:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSICAL-FIDE...item4d1f03e2ca
post #22296 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
C'mon dude, this is the Dyne forum, what are these speakers doing here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
OK; you guys have been very patient. New speakers...

Psyche! OK, OK; new speakers...

Well...one pair of them anyway (KEF Ref R-300). New speakers...

Please pardon the lousy pic; if I didn't have the shaky hand...you might be able to identify these, as Harbeth Monitor 30.1s. I need to build them, proper stands; and then I'll post better pics.

Til then...these will have to do

post #22297 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Dynero: Well reposting the pics does' t help! LOL

Here you go, past and present Dynaudio speakers in my collection at one time or another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MU52H4OA.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	124474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fun!.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	124482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scanned Image 111040002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	124490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1165.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	124498   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0796.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	124506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4-S3.4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	124514  

Last edited by Garman; 06-18-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #22298 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't see a smiley, was that sarcasm?

But really, it's the Dynaudio owners, not the "Only talk about Dynaudio" thread.

post #22299 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

But really, it's the Dynaudio owners, not the "Only talk about Dynaudio" thread.
Dynaudio are my favorite speakers, but if we only talked about them in this thread, this place might be a ghost town.
amatuerholic likes this.
post #22300 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Dynaudio are my favorite speakers, but if we only talked about them in this thread, this place might be a ghost town.
Exactly

post #22301 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't sure either.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22302 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's inferred that the discussion should be generally about Dynaudio, this is simply common sense.
post #22303 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dynero: Well reposting the pics does' t help! LOL

Here you go, past and present Dynaudio speakers in my collection at one time or another!
No they certainly don't do they You're collection reminds me of my own little Dyne journey, one that I'm done with now I think now that I've settled into the c4's although at some point in the future I might actually downscale to some Focus 260s.
post #22304 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
C'mon dude, this is the Dyne forum, what are these speakers doing here?
Hey Dynero,

My sentiments exactly!

If these previous Dyn owners are so enamored with their new speakers....start your own threads!!
Why bore us true Dyn fans with your sacrilegious BS.

Have any of you who have followed this thread for years wondered why Mick (of Dynaudio,NA.), Puma Cat, Dynero, or Borderdog(me) no longer participate? (And I think the list is probably longer).
We are so thoroughly disgusted most of us have stopped posting.

For you newbies to this thread, look back a few years and you'll see that this thread had humor, some banter, but always some insight. Not happening lately!

Borderdog (and still going strong)

Last edited by Borderdog; 06-18-2014 at 04:08 PM.
post #22305 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Has anyone managed to listen to Hegel and Naim with their setups? I'm looking at something like the H80 or Naim XS. Just for kicks if anyone's got any thoughts.

post #22306 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Hey Dynero,

My sentiments exactly!

If these previous Dyn owners are so enamored with their new speakers....start your own threads!!

Have any of you who have followed this thread for years wondered why Mick (of Dynaudio,NA.), Puma Cat, Dynero, or Borderdog(me) no longer participate? (And I think the list is probably longer).

For you newbies to this thread, look back a few years and you'll see that this thread had humor, some banter, but always some insight. Not happening lately!

Yikes; no offense Dog...you know I love ya and all. But talk about your BS!

I drove Mick, and Puma Cat away?? What...by posting pictures, and having discussions about other speakers? If you're going to credit me for that...I notice you don't mention RaceTripper I killed humor in the thread???

Instead of bitching...why don't you talk Dyn? I'll tell ya why; sorry...great speakers, but they haven't done JACK lately. So...what's there to talk about?

But I'll take a little self-imposed hiatus; lots of projects to do anyway. And I suppose we'll see the thread f l o u r i s h? LOL

Man...too bad you're on my bad side now; I was just about to bring my R-300s, down to kick your 25s as*
amatuerholic likes this.

post #22307 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Only so much you can say about dynaudio before the conversation dries up. I like this thread because we have a little community here. If a person moves on from dynaudio should we expel them from our community? Personally I'm happy to see any post related to high end audio. But I can see the other side of the argument. I just happen to prefer the thread to be wide open to any hifi related topic as it spurs a lot more interesting discussion IMO. And it's not like we are ignoring dynaudio. Dyn gets plenty of discussion but it's not everyday that there is something worth posting related to dynaudio.
samsung84 and amatuerholic like this.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #22308 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

I like seeing Jax and CD's ever-changing setups. It lets me think of different things to consider when I look for future purchases. although we haven't gotten many updates on Jax's system for a while!

post #22309 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like seeing Jax and CD's ever-changing setups. It lets me think of different things to consider when I look for future purchases. although we haven't gotten many updates on Jax's system for a while!
I like hearing about AB comparisons, equipment set up and pairings, opinions on music etc but they can be at least involve Dynaudio? Not kef, pmc or barbets.

it doesn't even have to be pro dynaudio but at least let it be involving dynaudio, when I moved on from Dynaudio for a year, I posted the ab comparisons and never mentioned the speakers I shifted to while I was using them on the forums, when I shifted back I posted the AB comparisons for that and re joined.

for me it's really simple, it's a dynaudio thread so please don't hijack it with other speaker discussions that have no relevance to Dynaudio
post #22310 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Hey Dynero,

My sentiments exactly!

borderdog, I'm in total agreement with what you wrote, for me the thread has almost read like a personal blog lately rather than a public forum.
post #22311 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Yikes; no offense Dog...you know I love ya and all. But talk about your BS!

I drove Mick, and Puma Cat away?? What...by posting pictures, and having discussions about other speakers? If you're going to credit me for that...I notice you don't mention RaceTripper I killed humor in the thread???

Instead of bitching...why don't you talk Dyn? I'll tell ya why; sorry...great speakers, but they haven't done JACK lately. So...what's there to talk about?

But I'll take a little self-imposed hiatus; lots of projects to do anyway. And I suppose we'll see the thread f l o u r i s h? LOL

Man...too bad you're on my bad side now; I was just about to bring my R-300s, down to kick your 25s as*
CD,

Why are you taking this so personally? I didn't single you out. There are many others who are using the Dyn thread to voice their opinions of other speakers. I just don't think that's right.

All speakers have their quirks, and I have only espoused those of Dynaudio. If you look at my old posts, I don't go on-and-on about certain electronics or other speakers; I only talk about the intricacies of placement of Dyn's. Yes, Dyn's can be a PIA, but following certain guidelines are also so rewarding.

As far as the thread flourishing, it did that very well for years. It's only in the past year of so, when people of less humor and different agendas took over that I think it's lost it's impact.
CD, at least you brought some humor.

Yours Truly,
Borderdog
post #22312 of 23289 Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
borderdog, I'm in total agreement with what you wrote, for me the thread has almost read like a personal blog lately rather than a public forum.
Is there really a difference between a personal blog and a public forum! Jk... I don't mind when other gear is mentioned or posted on here, but as regulars there really isn't much too talk about lately minus the new XEO line. Just a FYI, there are plenty of other good speakers out there besides Dynaudio, but for me they are still the best too "My" ears. Sure I like KEFs and even now Dali/Magnepan etc.. I don't think we have to bust some ones balls over some pictures of other equipment.

So can anyone confirm Dynaudio is for sale? Or is that just another net rumor?

Has anyone heard the Dynaudio Focus 220 floor standers? I had a pair of 110 and they had amazing imaging for a small bookshelf.....

Last edited by Garman; 06-18-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #22313 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, if people post pictures of, or rave about other gear, we can at least collectively feel sorry for them and hope they'll relocate their sanity at some point in the near future...

Personally, I don't mind reading about experiences with other stuff. To me, being an audio-nut means walking an ever-lasting path to perfection. Always tweaking, upgrading, etc. Reading other peoples' experiences can open my eyes to other options I wouldn't normally think about. For example: PMC makes great speakers. My experience with them is far from very impressive, however. If I might find a way to get them to sound better than what I've heard, PMC may, for me, eventually prove to be the better choice than Dynaudio. At the moment, however, I can think of nothing beating my Special Twenty Fives, but I haven't heard every good speaker out there...

While we are on the topic of Dynaudio and upgrading: what subwoofer(s) (if any) do you guys use with Special 25's? I have an Adam Sub10 mkII, which is fine for music reproduction (depending on place in the room, it reaches down to just below 25Hz), but for movies it really falls short. Max wide-band SPL is about 78dB with <30Hz content, before it starts distorting. I had to seal the port using a large chunk of foam to make it integrate better with my S25's, and it's upper cut-off frequency is set to 40Hz (lower isn't possible in my setup). Just below 40Hz it's efficiency drops noticably, resulting in low max output at really low frequencies. It sounds better sealed, though. More relaxed, more visceral, quicker, less distortion. But the driver loading is different and it loses efficiency in the range where I need it most. Opening the port ruins integration (a phase problem, I guess).

I will eventually need something bigger, but most subs that fulfill my requirements are too large (and too expensive). I'd like to be able to reach at least 90dB at full range. I don't listen loud very often, but I do like headroom and dynamics. What would be a good sub to concider? Not too big, but with big balls in the nether regions?

Thanks!

Last edited by jamesblond; 06-19-2014 at 02:17 AM.
post #22314 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Has anyone heard the Dynaudio Focus 220 floor standers? I had a pair of 110 and they had amazing imaging for a small bookshelf.....
I heard the original focus 220 and didn't really like them. I thought it lacked HF-"sparkle", the bass end sounded muddy with exaggerated mid-bass and no real mid-presence. It might be beacause this particular pair hadn't been properly burnt in (it was a store demo). But if I recall correctly, this model was a two-way, crossing over to the tweeter at somewhere below 1,5kHz. This could result in sub-optimal mid-range performance, because the tweeter isn't able to output sufficient energy that low

But, otoh, I suspect Dynaudio wouldn't build something with such a flaw... Bottom line: I like my S25's waaaayyy better! (:
post #22315 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
James, all those units would work well, I have had all of them in my system the TriVisa 300 is pretty sweet the A3.5 is your best bet for a good Int. Amp that won't break the bank, all of them will drive the Dynaudio's the way you want them, as Dynaudio used MF during a lot of the CES and other shows in the past.
A friend of mine owns an A308. I might ask him if I can try that amp with my cd-player and speakers to get an idea of what MF does with Dynaudio. But, as he told me, the A308 is a totally different animal than the A3.5. The A308 is strong enough that you could weld with it, if you asked it to. And it seems the Special 25's really like high current capability. He said the A3.5 might dissapoint, in comparison to the 7x100W Rotel RSX-1067 I have now. And besides, I'd probaby use the int.amp (*if* I get one) as a power amplifier in a HT-setup and for radio. Only use it as a full-fledged int.amp for CD-playback. But then again: I'm not sure want to stick with surround. I do like having a subwoofer, though...

I've also heard great things about Emotiva XPA-5. How do these brands compare?

Last edited by jamesblond; 06-19-2014 at 01:16 AM.
post #22316 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I heard the original focus 220 and didn't really like them. I thought it lacked HF-"sparkle", the bass end sounded muddy with exaggerated mid-bass and no real mid-presence. It might be beacause this particular pair hadn't been properly burnt in (it was a store demo). But if I recall correctly, this model was a two-way, crossing over to the tweeter at somewhere below 1,5kHz. This could result in sub-optimal mid-range performance, because the tweeter isn't able to output sufficient energy that low
This is exactly my impression as well, tons of punchy mid bass but no mids and seemingly muddy resolution.
post #22317 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
This is exactly my impression as well, tons of punchy mid bass but no mids and seemingly muddy resolution.
No wonder they replaced it with a mkII-version pretty quickly.
post #22318 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ive heard the 220 MKI and MKII, the MKII was a better unit, they changed the port tuning so that the bass cleaned itself up and the mids improved. There was still a little mid-bass bump in the 220 MKIIs that made them sound chunky, so if you like that then you might like them. The 260s are more balanced, neutral, transparent and detailed. The 260s can also do more with less power, the older focus still had that turn it up to get it going personality.

post #22319 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking to hear the C1s in Houston, anyone know where I can audition a pair? Their site isn't very helpful.

Right now I have a Salk HT2-TL setup in one room, sounds great. I have a Dyn 2/6 setup in a bedroom and they sound great, but different than the Salks. I don't want to use any adjectives to describe the differences but I would like to hear the best Dyn has to offer in a bookshelf for a little listening room/ study I would like to setup.
post #22320 of 23289 Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101101 View Post
I am looking to hear the C1s in Houston, anyone know where I can audition a pair? Their site isn't very helpful.

Right now I have a Salk HT2-TL setup in one room, sounds great. I have a Dyn 2/6 setup in a bedroom and they sound great, but different than the Salks. I don't want to use any adjectives to describe the differences but I would like to hear the best Dyn has to offer in a bookshelf for a little listening room/ study I would like to setup.
You can call Dyn USA to see if there are other dealers but this is what their site shows

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page