post #22531 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
That was great dude, interesting how you described the raidhos as being even more laid back, I would not have expected this, did you keep both speakers?
I couldn't afford both pairs. Honestly I didn't expect them to be so good especially the tweeter. I was really expecting them to be very bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22532 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
OctaDyn_Dude:

So, not a difficult one to figure out by now but some thing tells me OctaDyn_Dude is this Tyler from Next level Audio? Just a guess because he seems like a pretty cool guy and maybe he will let me trade in my C2's for the C1 Platinums as a even trade! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< JK!
Plus he carries both speaker lines.

See I heard the C2 original and the C2 MK II side by side and I had similar thoughts in regards to your comments on the C1s. The C2 (Ver. 1) played louder and clearer at higher volumes but the C2 MK II seem to play better at lower volumes. One of the reason I didn't make the jump at the time. Some times when you do some thing so good like the Special 25s there isn't much too do to perfect it! I think the same way right now about those 2 versions of the C2's the Originals sounded better too me.
Yep that's Tyler. First heard the D1 at his place and being underdriven and brand new I wasn't as impressed as I am now. Then we went to a clients home to hear the D3 (traded his Sapphires). My oh my now I was ruined. For quite a while I didnt want to hear Raidho's again because of the price. About 6 months later Tyler made me a killer deal and first let me demo them in my home. After the first day I knew the Raidho's were staying and the Dyn's were out. Then another client came over to hear the D1's at my place and he decided to trade his C4 Sig's for a pair of D2's (but mow he wants to trade/sell them for D3's). At the same time another client traded his original C2's for D2's. I mean I still hear things in music I never heard with the C1's. Still glad I raided my 401K for the D1's. At 60 I don't know how much longer I'll be around so I invested in my listening pleasure for today forward (can't take it with me ).

If you ever come to see Tyler let me know
post #22533 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
James in all fairness the post i complained had absolutely nothing to do with Dynaudio in terms of context, comparison, etc. I simply didn't feel it was appropriate and i thought i should pipe in.

Even the Naim posts a few months back were too much and the conflict ended up with RaceTripper leaving, I'm not grandstanding or anything here but just wanted this thread to get back to it's roots.

As for a complete ban on posts and systems? Well I'll say it again at the risk of sounding like a tool, if your system has non dynaudio speakers, does not have relevance to Dynaudio in terms of system synergy or lack thereof and has in fact nothing to do with Dynaudio at all, then maybe you should consider posting it in another thread that doesn't say Dynaudio at the top
I'm with you. I agree that the majority of the posts in a Dynaudio forum should directly or indirectly be about Dynaudio. But as has been stated before, I think it's pretty educational to hear experiences from others, about other systems. Of course, in this context, that's only helpful if it's somehow related to Dynaudio-experiences. For example: I have been Dynaudio-free for a while, when I had Elac speakers. I found them dissapointing, despite a few strong points. I read here that others on a similar quest to improve their sound ended up with a different brand of speakers too. In that case, it could be educational to exchange stories and experiences. But these discussions were not about Dynaudio.
But still: this is a community with a common interest. It's nice to talk about different stuff. Different thoughts can be excanged, new ideas may arise, etc. Yes, this is a Dynaudio topic. But I think it's a bit nuts to start an "everything but Dynaudio" thread , just to keep the same people together with the ability to talk about non-Dynaudio stuff.

Besides: it's the internet. It's a (more or less) public place. People will talk about whatever they want, regardless of thread subject. Your cause is a noble one. But I doubt how many "followers" you'll get. What's happening now, is that people have resorted to throwing sarcasm at each other, because they don't agree. Not very mature. But that too, is the internet...
post #22534 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Liked: 20
Bollocks. My AVR needs to be repaired. Now I'm left with a nice-but-not-nearly-as-good sound system at my iMac. And movies will have to make do with the sound from the tv. For the next 10 days I will experience some serious withdrawal symptoms!!
post #22535 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I'm with you. I agree that the majority of the posts in a Dynaudio forum should directly or indirectly be about Dynaudio. But as has been stated before, I think it's pretty educational to hear experiences from others, about other systems. Of course, in this context, that's only helpful if it's somehow related to Dynaudio-experiences. For example: I have been Dynaudio-free for a while, when I had Elac speakers. I found them dissapointing, despite a few strong points. I read here that others on a similar quest to improve their sound ended up with a different brand of speakers too. In that case, it could be educational to exchange stories and experiences. But these discussions were not about Dynaudio.
But still: this is a community with a common interest. It's nice to talk about different stuff. Different thoughts can be excanged, new ideas may arise, etc. Yes, this is a Dynaudio topic. But I think it's a bit nuts to start an "everything but Dynaudio" thread , just to keep the same people together with the ability to talk about non-Dynaudio stuff.

Besides: it's the internet. It's a (more or less) public place. People will talk about whatever they want, regardless of thread subject. Your cause is a noble one. But I doubt how many "followers" you'll get. What's happening now, is that people have resorted to throwing sarcasm at each other, because they don't agree. Not very mature. But that too, is the internet...
Good points, we actually agree on much much more than we disagree on
post #22536 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Yep that's Tyler. First heard the D1 at his place and being underdriven and brand new I wasn't as impressed as I am now. Then we went to a clients home to hear the D3 (traded his Sapphires). My oh my now I was ruined. For quite a while I didnt want to hear Raidho's again because of the price. About 6 months later Tyler made me a killer deal and first let me demo them in my home. After the first day I knew the Raidho's were staying and the Dyn's were out. Then another client came over to hear the D1's at my place and he decided to trade his C4 Sig's for a pair of D2's (but mow he wants to trade/sell them for D3's). At the same time another client traded his original C2's for D2's. I mean I still hear things in music I never heard with the C1's. Still glad I raided my 401K for the D1's. At 60 I don't know how much longer I'll be around so I invested in my listening pleasure for today forward (can't take it with me ).

If you ever come to see Tyler let me know
No worries, Tyler is close and my next trip to Chicago area I am going to see if he has some time, as I wanted to upgrade my C2's which is more logical but after hearing the Magnepan 1.7 and the cost it was pretty easy to snag a pair of them at there price. Yeah, the 3.7 need more room to breath and a bigger pocket book. With 3 kids the Raidho's are out of the questions, if I was in a similar situation then I might give them a listen, there isn't too many people getting the ribbon tweeter right, and I heard they are along with Dali (Depending on Model). But my C2s still sound wonderful so I might just keep both for now.

Hey it's easy to talk about other speakers as long as you include some thing about Dynaudio. LOL hahahaha
post #22537 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Check this out, I been finding Dynaudio Brochures from when I worked at Audiophiles in a old magazine rack still in perfect condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 3.jpg (151.3 KB, 23 views)
Dynero likes this.
post #22538 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
OK -- Since you asked
Let me start by saying AGAIN -- ALL Dynadio's are a bargain for their price to performance ratio. Started with the Dyn C1's (7500usd). Great but honestly you had to turn them up pretty loud to get them to sound their best. That was my only complaint. Then came the MKII/Signature (8500usd). Sight and sound unheard I bought a pair in Mocha that came in the 1st shipment that arrived in the USA . WOW great decision because they sounded great at lower listening levels. But they don't seem to get as loud as the originals could - but not a problem for me. Then my local dealer acquired the Raidho Diamond speakers (D1-25500usd + stands at 3100/3600usd).

How do they compare?? The C1's are an extremely tough act to follow especially if you've ever owned them. Well the Raidho's are more laid back than the Confidence series. They are also have a much faster/detailed sound with a blacker background without loosing any prat. Much better imaging but also a narrower 'sweet spot'. Even off axis they are great just like the Dyn C1's. The Raidho ribbon tweeter is even smoother and more detailed than the Esotar2 tweeters (hard to believe but true). Now at 29,100usd somethings got to better. OK so far you must think these are very sterile analytical sounding speakers. They are NOT in any way. It's almost like having the music just come out of the walls. As one reviewer stated and I do agree is 'off axis they sound good. In the sweet spot good god". Now where the C1's are better.... Much deeper bass (C1 rated to 45hz but slowly goes much lower)(D1 rated to 50hz and drops like a rock). The C1's will go a bit louder. The C1's have a wider sweet spot.

Now the Octave V110 tube integrated. The original TS 6550 was THE tube that really made the C1's sing. Great mids very good bass but a slight roll off in the highs. The TS KT120's sounded too forward and punchy to be realistic sounding. Just the opposite with the Raidho. The 6550's sound slow and dull but the KT120's make them sing. Again chose tube because I didn't want to be married to a house sound of an amp.

Now for all you current and possible Dyn owners --- Did I mention that Dyn's are a Bargain for the price to performance ratio. To get better than Dyn's you will have to spend some serious cash. Also Dynaudio has a speaker for everyone. From the X-series through the Evidence. And their specialty speakers like the S25/Sapphire and Consequence UE.

Any questions regarding my opinion?
Nope, I think that was great. I can only imagine what you're saying cause I've never heard them. But even with my lowly X34, I agree with your statement that their price/performance ration is a bargain.

Sources ---> Clearaudio Concept TT, Onkyo CDP, MacBook Pro/Audirvana
Pre/DAC & Power Amp ---> Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 Pre/DAC, Emotiva XPA-1L Monos
Speaker ---> Dynaudio Excite X34
Cable ---> Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cable, Emotiva Interconnect Cables
Headphone ----> Onkyo ES-CTI300 (SS)
post #22539 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac-906 View Post
Nope, I think that was great. I can only imagine what you're saying cause I've never heard them. But even with my lowly X34, I agree with your statement that their price/performance ration is a bargain.
I was invited to a private showing of the Consequence UE when they first came out. About an hour into the demo the owner switched to the X12's sitting on a table (no stands) driven by a Naim streamer. As good as the Consequence's were the X12's held their own (1200usd vs 70000usd). It just depends on what level of refinement you are after. Was the the Consequence 53+ X better?? Nope but that what this hobby has to offer - and not brand dependent. Only you know what you want to hear and what you can afford. Borderdog already mentioned he would rather have Focus 160's that Raiho D1's. Hey to each their own. I have no skin the game. I know what I like and want and could care less if the entire world disagreed with me. I have to listen to it - not anyone else.

There is no 'bad' Dynaudio - period. Dynaudio is a WORLD CLASS SPEAKER. Don't think anyone can argue that. And never refer to your X34's as lowly speakers. They are Dyn's. It is of MY opinion though there are better. But as I tried to say to step up from Dynaudio you really have to bend over backwards price wise to beat them. After owning the C1's I have a soft spot for Dynaudio (and their service if ever needed).

If you are anyone ever has the chance to listen the Raidho's and tell me your opinion regarding sound - not price - we already which cost a lot more.
post #22540 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I couldn't afford both pairs. Honestly I didn't expect them to be so good especially the tweeter. I was really expecting them to be very bright.
Would you say the raidho and dynes share a similar sound despite your preference for the former? or does the raidho sound different to you?

A high end speaker that I rather liked and felt was similar to the dynaudio house sound was Adam Audio.
It was ribbon tweetered too but had a very smooth upper end that was very neutral.
post #22541 of 22843 Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

There is no 'bad' Dynaudio - period. Dynaudio is a WORLD CLASS SPEAKER. Don't think anyone can argue that. And never refer to your X34's as lowly speakers. They are Dyn's. It is of MY opinion though there are better. But as I tried to say to step up from Dynaudio you really have to bend over backwards price wise to beat them. After owning the C1's I have a soft spot for Dynaudio (and their service if ever needed).
I'm sorry, let me clarify my statement. I only referred to the X34 as lowly compared to the prices of the C1 & D1. At its price level it is one of the best imo. It replaced my Monitor Audio RX8, although my original plan was to replace them with Kef R500. However when i went to the dealer for a demo, the X34 was on the other side of the room so I asked the sales guy if I could hear them too. I immediately fell in love with the clarity of the X34's midrange and the
fuller faster bass response. I've read about glowing reviews of the Dyn before but that was the first time I actually heard one and boy am I glad!

Sources ---> Clearaudio Concept TT, Onkyo CDP, MacBook Pro/Audirvana
Pre/DAC & Power Amp ---> Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 Pre/DAC, Emotiva XPA-1L Monos
Speaker ---> Dynaudio Excite X34
Cable ---> Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cable, Emotiva Interconnect Cables
Headphone ----> Onkyo ES-CTI300 (SS)
post #22542 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would you say the raidho and dynes share a similar sound despite your preference for the former? or does the raidho sound different to you?

A high end speaker that I rather liked and felt was similar to the dynaudio house sound was Adam Audio.
It was ribbon tweetered too but had a very smooth upper end that was very neutral.
Personally I think the Raidho's are slightly more neutral sounding but with a lot more clarity from top to bottom. That said again the Dyn's go lower. In fact the D2 is closer to the C1 MKII/Sig in frequency response. The imaging is better I think due to the blacker background (never knew a speaker could have a blacker background till I had the 2 side by side in my home). The Raidho is more similar to a electrostatic speaker with slightly more dynamics. Although the Dyn is more dynamic sounding than Raidho. After hearing the D1's and D3's and before owning them here is a thread I was in defending the price to performance ratio (I'm Xti16)
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...openfrom&2&4#2
post #22543 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're Xti16????
post #22544 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're Xti16????
Yep I joined Agon back when my system was a Denon PMA700 Mission/Cyrus 782 speakers and a Yamaha CDX1030 cdp

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; 07-02-2014 at 04:57 AM.
post #22545 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Focus 160 Frequency Response Change...

Hello,

Apologies if this was discussed previously...

I just noticed that the lower limit of Focus 160 has been updated to 44Hz (from 40Hz) on the Dynaudio website. Does anyone know the story behind this? Also, does this mean the 41Hz spec for the previous Focus 140 was "incorrect" also?

Thanks in advance.
post #22546 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post
Hello,

I just noticed that the lower limit of Focus 160 has been updated to 44Hz (from 40Hz) on the Dynaudio website. Does anyone know the story behind this? Also, does this mean the 41Hz spec for the previous Focus 140 was "incorrect" also?

Thanks in advance.
You have to take this all in context.
The difference between 44hz and 40hz is one note. Instead of an "A" note it's starting to roll off at a "B" note. (That's one key on the piano).
When a speaker's frequency response is listed at down to 40 or 44hz, it doesn't mean it just stops playing below those frequencies; it just means that those are the frequencies that a steeper roll-off starts occurring.

Rock, Pop, and Jazz have very little going on below 40 hz.

Borderdog
Dynero likes this.
post #22547 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Besides what borderdog had mentioned remember most speaker manufactures publish their frequency response with +/- 3db. That could mean quite a few things like within the range (let's say 40-25k hz) there will be up to a +3db boost and or a -3db drop. Most usually at the low to high rating is where the largest gains or drops. Since everyone (except me - hehe) prefers more bass the low end is typically the - 3db with the +3db being in the upper lows or mids. When I had my C1's which are rated at 45hz they would go to about 38hz without very much loss of loudness. With a test tone cd I could hear down to 34hz. I've never seen a published response from Dynaudio that included the +/-db. The one most common reaction I have ever hear heard when someone listens to a Dyn the first time is I can't believe how much bass there is.
Don't worry about it. Use specs at as a basic guideline then go audition for yourself.
post #22548 of 22843 Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Idk why the change in spec in the website, however when I've played my test tone cd the 160s I had sounded strong at 40 hz, and good even at 32 hz, 25 hz and below were weak sounding.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #22549 of 22843 Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Liked: 17
Octa_Rha sums it up.

Manufactures use the +/-3db rating, because they can use it for marketing purposes that the frequency response is flat, but a difference of 6db in frequency is very audible.

It's quite possible the old frequency rating was @ -3db and the new one is @0db .

Also, test tones don't show you the frequency response of your speaker but your room. Below 200hz it's the room that rules a big part of the response. My C1's peak @ 33hz @+15db.

And low frequencies are in all music genres in the form of 'transients'. My sub only adds extension below the 33hz mark and the difference is very notable, even with music that only has an acoustic guitar in it.
Dynero likes this.
post #22550 of 22843 Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
Octa_Rha sums it up.

And low frequencies are in all music genres in the form of 'transients'. My sub only adds extension below the 33hz mark and the difference is very notable, even with music that only has an acoustic guitar in it.
Nice, and it's true, deep bass in my experience isn't so much as a bassline or visceral impact but more in the rendering of the venues' acoustic space, the only Dyne speaker I've heard that does this unaided is the Dynaudio Consequence ( The Egglestonworks Andra design could pull this off too.) but this needs careful amplifier matching since the Consequence can sound way too polite in the wrong system, the Evidence and c4 don't quite match it even though they're designated as full range and really sound glorious with a well set sub although I would plug the c4 ports if paired with a sub.
post #22551 of 22843 Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I read Octaduynes explanation and I think he's right, most likely the difference between the two speakers is in the Dyne office guidelines for posting spec, maybe they tightened up their guidelines because they didn't want to oversell the speaker or they wanted to protect the contour 1.4/c1
post #22552 of 22843 Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I read Octaduynes explanation and I think he's right, most likely the difference between the two speakers is in the Dyne office guidelines for posting spec, maybe they tightened up their guidelines because they didn't want to oversell the speaker or they wanted to protect the contour 1.4/c1
Hey guy's -- I'm Octa_dyn not Octa_Rha or Octaduynes and certainly not Octa_Ho.
Dynero likes this.
post #22553 of 22843 Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well I bought the acoustic panels for my place. Ill post a couple pics and give impressions as well. Hoping that Ill be able to get them hung next weekend, if they show up in time.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #22554 of 22843 Old 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

callas01: Do I need acoustic panels for my headphones? It would be nice if Dynaudio created a headphone with the Esotar2 tweeter in mind! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend, time for some more listening this week to my Dynaudio/Maggie duo!
post #22555 of 22843 Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
callas01: Do I need acoustic panels for my headphones? I
C'mon, get real Garman.
I didn't find that funny at all.
post #22556 of 22843 Old 07-06-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would be nice if Dynaudio created a headphone with the Esotar2 tweeter in mind!
I've often wondered this too, would be an interesting design
post #22557 of 22843 Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
C'mon, get real Garman.
I didn't find that funny at all.
Get real? LOL lighten up Frances! If you can't handle sarcasm in a thread or on the internet, then maybe you should surround yourself with acoustic panels. That post wasn't directed at you nor was it meant for you, but this one is. I don't name call nor do I pretend to think I know everything because know one does! Try to be nicer to people on here instead of chasing them away. I believe in acoustic panels I have some in the back of my room, can they help a room and speakers sound better you bet!

Dynero: I would love to see them create a headphone, but it might eat into their speaker sales, but with many speaker companies doing it, it might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by Garman; 07-07-2014 at 12:28 AM.
post #22558 of 22843 Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
callas01: Do I need acoustic panels for my headphones? It would be nice if Dynaudio created a headphone with the Esotar2 tweeter in mind! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend, time for some more listening this week to my Dynaudio/Maggie duo!
I don't want to shift forum topic just to let you know - there is famous Anaxilus modification for Senn HD800 headphones which most people do appreciate and it is actually absorptive acoustic treatment of headphone shell
post #22559 of 22843 Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac0r View Post
I don't want to shift forum topic just to let you know - there is famous Anaxilus modification for Senn HD800 headphones which most people do appreciate and it is actually absorptive acoustic treatment of headphone shell
Your talking about this modification, see he got all bent out of shape when it can be done! and it made a great sounding headphone sound better. Again I would love to see Dynaudio produce a pair of headphones! Not a big headphone listener but I have some Sennheisers and Grados.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...0-anaxilus-mod
post #22560 of 22843 Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac0r View Post
I had to do a double take, an Ana-what?? But now I get it
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page