post #22561 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I know way too many people during my college days that have bad hearing from listening to headphones constantly "loud" for too many years.
I think good to bring this up, Pete Townsend from the Who is nearly deaf and he blames it on years of headphone usage and limits his headphone use to an hour everyday. A friend of mine has moderate to severe hearing loss in the upper frequencies and he blames this on headphone usage since he was a young teen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22562 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
I think good to bring this up, Pete Townsend from the Who is nearly deaf and he blames it on years of headphone usage and limits his headphone use to an hour everyday. A friend of mine has moderate to severe hearing loss in the upper frequencies and he blames this on headphone usage since he was a young teen.
Good to see everyone is getting along here.

Forget headphones, as a teen I just laid on my back and placed a speaker on either side of my head. (sad but true)
(Listening to the Who of course!!)

But seriously, sometimes it’s not possible to always listen to my speakers so the alternative when one does not have a choice is of course headphones, unfortunately for me it’s about 50% of the time with music, 75% movies. The other alternative is to not listen at all, but we can’t have that can we.
So far, out all my current headphones, AKG K701s (with bass port mod), K501s,: Sennheiser HD580/600, HD700s and Grado SR325is, I’m finding that the Sennheiser HD700s sound closest to my Special 25s, tonally and performer/instrument placement they are fairly similar, the other phones are all respectable but a different flavor.

Now before someone in the know asks; yes Sennhieser’s flagship, the HD800s, is technically a better phone and as a head-fier I may indeed add them in the future, but if one is looking for a headphone that is closer to the Dynaudio sound when they’re unable to listen to their cherished Dyns the HD700s IMHO are pretty close.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

Last edited by rob80b; 07-07-2014 at 10:56 AM.
post #22563 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

Uh, yeah; headphones. NOT the 126db they hit in concert.

So...anyone have, or in line for Contour LEs?

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22564 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Forget headphones, as a teen I just laid on my back and placed a speaker on either side of my head. (sad but true)
(Listening to the Who of course!!)
Mind you by the time Quadrophenia came out in (1973) I was no longer a teen and that student loan came in handy to get my first serious pair of speakers, the Dynaco A25s, another fine Danish product.
Ironically it was the nostalgia for my A25s that peaked my interest in Dynaudio in the 90s, believing they may have been the same company, which I erroneously assumed as did many others; must have been the beautiful wood finish and the fact they’re both Danish.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #22565 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
A lotta theories for his hearing loss, Townsend himself blames headphones, but a pyro mishap may have been to blame as well. Nevertheless some prudent judgement in headphone usage goes a long way since one can easily lose track of the volume one hits without angry people telling them their music is too loud.

http://www.livescience.com/522-sound...ring-loss.html

Last edited by Dynero; 07-07-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added link
post #22566 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A lotta theories for his hearing loss, Townsend himself blames headphones, but a pyro mishap may have been to blame as well. Nevertheless some prudent judgement in headphone usage goes a long way since one can easily lose track of the volume one hits without angry people telling them their music is too loud.
Mind you, Dyns can be so extremely clear sounding at high volumes they probably exceed my headphone listening.
(now the cats out of the bag as to why I’m asked more often than not to use my headphones)

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #22567 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Mind you, Dyns can be so extremely clear sounding at high volumes they probably exceed my headphone listening.
(now the cats out of the bag as to why I’m asked more often than not to use my headphones)
Headphones have always scared me. There is no way to monitor how loud you're listening.

At least in your room, you can use your Radio Shack meter or iPhone meter (which is actually pretty accurate).
But with headphones, there is no way to monitor the SPL. The last thing I need is 105dB playing 1/2 inch from my ear.
(I need to protect what little I have left).

They really need to develop an SPL meter for headphones.
post #22568 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Headphones have always scared me. There is no way to monitor how loud you're listening.

At least in your room, you can use your Radio Shack meter or iPhone meter (which is actually pretty accurate).
But with headphones, there is no way to monitor the SPL. The last thing I need is 105dB playing 1/2 inch from my ear.
(I need to protect what little I have left).

They really need to develop an SPL meter for headphones.
Funny I was just doing some comparative listening to Shriekback’s “Care” album (on vinyl non the less) just to see at which level I’m comfortable at while listening to the Special 25s or the Sennheiser HD700s.
Well surprise surprise the 25s won out, with all headphones I sort of have a maximum peak at which I’m comfortable with but the perceived loudness (without actually measuring) the 25s were louder and cleaner and I could have gone louder still.

But another point if I may regress from headphones for a moment is the articulation of the bass of the Special 25s, we quite often speak of the Esotar tweeter but I’ve yet to hear a mid/bass driver that keeps the lower notes so clearly defined regardless how complex things get down yonder, and the Shiekback album is a good example.
Must admit it always brings a smile to my face, no bloomy muddiness (no matter how loud things get) just clean articulation so that one can always follow the interplay between the musicians.

Back to head phones (just for a sec.); for those who are into phones and Sennheiser in particular I'd say that going from the Sennheiser HD600s to the HD700s was similar as to when I went from the Contour 1.3MKIIs to my 25s.
But a word of caution, headphone listening at sustained loud levels, even though lower than your speaker listening will most likely bring on the dreaded tinnitus due to it's (by physical nature) closed environment.

Now back to speakers, DACs or whatever you folks are arguing about these days.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; 07-07-2014 at 05:49 PM.
post #22569 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Funny I was just doing some comparative listening to Shriekback’s “Care” album (on vinyl non the less) just to see at which level I’m comfortable at while listening to the Special 25s or the Sennheiser HD700s.
Well surprise surprise the 25s won out, with all headphones I sort of have a maximum peak at which I’m comfortable with but the perceived loudness (without actually measuring) the 25s were louder and cleaner and I could have gone louder still.

But another point if I may regress from headphones for a moment is the articulation of the bass of the Special 25s, we quite often speak of the Esotar tweeter but I’ve yet to hear a mid/bass driver that keeps the lower notes so clearly defined regardless how complex things get down yonder, and the Shiekback album is a good example.
Must admit it always brings a smile to my face, no bloomy muddiness (no matter how loud things get) just clean articulation so that one can always follow the interplay between the musicians.

Back to head phones (just for a sec.); for those who are into phones and Sennheiser in particular I'd say that going from the Sennheiser HD600s to the HD700s was similar as to when I went from the Contour 1.3MKIIs to my 25s.
But a word of caution, headphone listening at sustained loud levels, even though lower than your speaker listening will most likely bring on the dreaded tinnitus due to it's (by physical nature) closed environment.

Now back to speakers, DACs or whatever you folks are arguing about these days.
Rob,
Good Post!

People have to understand the inherent danger of headphones or ear-buds.

I have a pair of Shure ear-buds. They sound really good; but I only use them when flying or mowing my lawn.

Last edited by Borderdog; 07-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #22570 of 22578 Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Rob,
Good Post!

People have to understand the inherent danger of headphones or ear-buds.

I have a pair of Shure ear-buds. They sound really good; but I only use them when flying or mowing my lawn.
Hey Borderdog

Hope they're wireless at least when mowing, and they should Bose "QuietComfort" noise cancelling headphones.

Anyway I've been using headphones for as long as I've had speakers and an active contributor on the some headphone forums but through the thousands of Head-fi participants and 10s of thousands of posts if not millions, most likely due to it relative affordability, the truth of the matter is that headphones, no matter how good, are not and may never be a substitute in terms of the true aural and visceral experience when it comes to enjoyment of music as far as a properly set-up speaker system is,.

And even though my headphone set-up is half descent …… as soon as I have my place to myself it’s off with the phones and you guessed it…… of course owning a pair of 25s or any Dyns for that matter helps.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #22571 of 22578 Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Hey Borderdog

Hope they're wireless at least when mowing, and they should Bose "QuietComfort" noise cancelling headphones.

And even though my headphone set-up is half descent …… as soon as I have my place to myself it’s off with the phones and you guessed it…… of course owning a pair of 25s or any Dyns for that matter helps.
Rob,
I picked the Shure ear-buds because of their isolation; they are 20+ dB's down from exterior noise. I can also put my ear protection over them which probably puts down a total of -40dB's. I can mow my yard and be almost oblivious to the external noise.
I have them connected to my iPhone or iPod. It's just music, nothing fantastic, but it removes me from the noise and protects my hearing.

When I'm in my woodworking shop, I just use my ear protection without any music. When I'm working with table saws and shapers, etc., I can't have the distraction of music. I'm already down to 9 3/4 fingers; can't lose anymore.
post #22572 of 22578 Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Rob,
I picked the Shure ear-buds because of their isolation; they are 20+ dB's down from exterior noise. I can also put my ear protection over them which probably puts down a total of -40dB's. I can mow my yard and be almost oblivious to the external noise.
I have them connected to my iPhone or iPod. It's just music, nothing fantastic, but it removes me from the noise and protects my hearing.

When I'm in my woodworking shop, I just use my ear protection without any music. When I'm working with table saws and shapers, etc., I can't have the distraction of music. I'm already down to 9 3/4 fingers; can't lose anymore.
The finger I shortened was my right middle finger. So now, when I flip somebody the "bird", I use my left middle finger.
ambesolman likes this.
post #22573 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The finger I shortened was my right middle finger. So now, when I flip somebody the "bird", I use my left middle finger.
Use your right hand for those that can read shorthand
post #22574 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Use your right hand for those that can read shorthand
I just flipped you a right-handed "bird". You must have missed it....LOL.
I'll try my left hand.
post #22575 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

So...anyone have, or in line for Contour LEs?
Hey just curious if your still using the Oppo HA-1 for a Dac and pre/amp? Also Never seen or heard of Contour LEs?
post #22576 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I just flipped you a right-handed "bird". You must have missed it....LOL.
I'll try my left hand.
Thanks - Payback time ----------------------------- The middle finger on a Dynaudio thread is not appropriate.
I don't mad --- I get even.
post #22577 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Hey just curious if your still using the Oppo HA-1 for a Dac and pre/amp? Also Never seen or heard of Contour LEs?
Though the talk lately, has mostly been headphones and Borderdog's fingers (or lack thereof); I will resist the urge, to go "OT"...and talk about actual audio components; NOT made by Dynaudio.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22578 of 22578 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Though the talk lately, has mostly been headphones and Borderdog's fingers (or lack thereof); I will resist the urge, to go "OT"...and talk about actual audio components; NOT made by Dynaudio.
Hey as long a Dynaudio is mentioned in your thread you can talk about what ever you want. This is a public form and as long as know one is name calling and being inflammatory about products or people post away. I was wondering from a perspective on how the Oppo HA-1
would sound with Dynaudios. I am currently using the DC-1 from Emotiva which sounds pretty darn good, but I am looking for a Dac/Pre Amp combo that would even be better.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page