69Likes

post #22591 of 22611 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Borderdog: Where did you hear the Raidhos? I heard a pair when I was in San Fran recently for a quick business trip and I thought they sounded a lot like the Dali that use a ribbon tweeter as well. But for the price, I would buy the Dynaudio and or Dali for a lot less money, But to each their own, as speakers tend to be personal preference but I am with you on your assessment of the speaker. I was going to spend more time with them at Next Level Audio if Tyler has them in stock as I am still thinking of upgrading my C2s if possible. Did you listen to them in VA, as I know they have two dealers. I know they have some crazy trade up to Raidho program in place where they will give you 80% of retail value of your current speakers, but you better have a lot more cash on hand.
Hey Garman,

I heard them at CES in Las Vegas this past January.
I was there to help Lamm set up his two rooms (I supplied the stands). That was all done the first day (set-up day).
Then I had two days of free time before I had to fly back home. (One day in Vegas is too much for me)!

Anyways, I had two days of free time so I went to the different rooms. Spent some time in the Raidho room. They had the D1's set up. They sounded okay. I figured they were about 3-5K. When I asked the guy what the retail price was and he told me 25K, I just got up and left.

Went and saw my buddies at the Dyn rooms. They had C2's set up in the one room; glorious. Mick and I chatted for about an hour and he asked me what I thought were the best sounding rooms. I told him the best sounding was the Lamm room with the Wilson Alexandria's, but the total system cost would be $350K. I told Mick, their room was probably the third best. But at a total of less than $50K, I would have to rate it #1 . (Bang for the buck).

We also chatted about the possibility of Dyn bringing out an Evidence monitor. If they could bring a stand-mount Evidence at under $25K, it would be a killer. I would be first in line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22592 of 22611 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
George,
I understand what you're trying to convey. But, I have heard the Raidhos (the D1's) and was completely underwhelmed; especially at their price point. They just lacked dynamics.

I don't want to get into a pissing comest with you, but the Raidho's are overpriced for what they have to offer.
How you could give up your C1's for the Raidho's is still a mystery to me.

Borderdog
Aaron get over it. There are a lot of folks who own Excite or Focus that only dream of some day owning the Confidence line. Since you seem to be so price oriented tell me is the C1 3 - 5 times better than the Excite or Focus or even 2 times better than the Contours? Not to me. But as I've said in the past when I first heard the C1's that was the sound I wanted at the time. Correct me if I'm wrong but you have one system but 3 pairs of speakers. Maybe you like to change up the sound a bit by swapping speakers. I can do that by swapping hot glass (tubes) for a lot less money . For as long as I owned the C1's I never thought any monitor could be better. Then came the C1 Signature. To me they sounded so much clearer at lower listening levels meaning as good as the originals when turned up to 90db+. Now to me I find the D1's are even clearer with better imaging. That's a pretty bold statement since we both know how fantastic the C1's are. I have a sub so the bass is not much of an issue. I preferred the sub with the C1's which blended perfectly but I will admit the sub can't quite keep up with the speed and clarity of the D1's. We all have different perceptions of what we would like to hear when it comes to music reproduction in our own home. Remember I have never said anything bad regarding Dynaudio nor will I when asked. Also this is a hobby. Some folks could care less about audio. Some folks have more $$$ tied up in a 2 ch system than others will ever have invested in a house (check out AudioShark).

One thing that boggles my mind is how you can hear the differences between the C1 and C1 MKII/Sig and not hear the clarity the D1's have. I understand you think they are not worth it and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who don't think the C1's are worth it compared to the Excites. As far as the dynamics wouldn't you say the C1's are less dynamic than the S25's?? To me they are but what I preferred.

Again we know your opinion and we know mine - Just LET IT GO

George
post #22593 of 22611 Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Aaron
Again I agree they are expensive but to me they sound much better. Besides I have nowhere to go to in the Dyn lineup. C2's are too big for my room (huge vertical wall of sound which I didn't care for). Sapphires are too forward sounding and a bit tipped up in the highs. Again for me I love the Sapphires for about an hour before I personally get listening fatigue (maybe an hour and a half with the grills on).
George
George,
You have a difficult room. For one, you have your speakers set up on the long wall. I know you have to play with aesthetics and satisfy the wife.

I'm willing to bet that if Dyn came out with an Evidence monitor you would be back in the fold in a heartbeat.
post #22594 of 22611 Old Today, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 41
OctaDyn_Dude: I think the Raidho's are a great looking and sounding speaker, I didn't get much time with them, but what I heard I liked. Its very easy to dismiss a speaker that is excellent if you don't have the money to buy it. "Me" for one! I think Borderdog and myself are tad biased, as I use to sell Dynaudio's for many years and Borderdog hasn't tried enough other brands <<(Assumption) in his very well made room, but I am sure he has heard many at shows. . I have tried probably too many over the last 6 months, because every time I get the itch to try some thing new, I always seem to come back to the Dynaudio sound. Right now I have Dynaudio full fledged HT room using the Dynaudio C2 as main speaker, a pair of Maggie 1.7s, KEF LS50s and 2 pair of Dalis (Ikon 1MK2) and Dali (Zensor 7). Along with a inexpensive pair of Pioneer SB-BS22 LRs I use for test speaker, great for a den or garage and very, very good for the money. The problem with the Evidence Monitor, it would be unattainable for most, but I know it would sound damn nice!

And as far as hearing the difference between original C1 - C1MKII or C2 verses C2 MKII, I didn't that's why I haven't switched, just a few cosmetic changes, not sure if any internal parts where different, if their was I couldn't hear it. Now with the Platinums that could be different, I heard they play better at lower volumes, but I haven't had a place that has both side by side. I had the C1 and C1 MKII side by side before I sold my original C1s, only reason was I loved the Mocha finish. I preferred the C1 at the time over the S25 as well, but that is all personal preference. Now I think the new cosmetic changes and finishes on the Dynaudio are remarkable much like Borderdogs (Aaron) stands!

Last edited by Garman; Today at 09:46 AM.
post #22595 of 22611 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
OctaDyn_Dude: I think the Raidho's are a great looking and sounding speaker, I didn't get much time with them, but what I heard I liked. Its very easy to dismiss a speaker that is excellent if you don't have the money to buy it. "Me" for one! I think Borderdog and myself are tad biased, as I use to sell Dynaudio's for many years and Borderdog hasn't tried enough other brands <<(Assumption) in his very well made room, but I am sure he has heard many at shows. . I have tried probably too many over the last 6 months, because every time I get the itch to try some thing new, I always seem to come back to the Dynaudio sound. Right now I have Dynaudio full fledged HT room using the Dynaudio C2 as main speaker, a pair of Maggie 1.7s, KEF LS50s and 2 pair of Dalis (Ikon 1MK2) and Dali (Zensor 7). Along with a inexpensive pair of Pioneer SB-BS22 LRs I use for test speaker, great for a den or garage and very, very good for the money. The problem with the Evidence Monitor, it would be unattainable for most, but I know it would sound damn nice!

Now I think the new cosmetic changes and finishes on the Dynaudio are remarkable much like Borderdogs (Aaron) stands!
Thanks Garman,

Actually, I listen to a lot of different speakers. I always come back to Dyn. I love the neutrality and the dynamics.
I have a very special room, so people bring their speakers to my house.
Plus, I do 3 to 5 audio shows per year, so I hear a lot of different speakers. Dyn still rules. Because of Dyn's neutrality, electronics can play a big part.

George,
I use a tubed preamp. That's all I need to adjust the sound. Just put the new Belles VT-01 in my system last night. Incredible.

Last edited by Borderdog; Today at 10:32 AM.
post #22596 of 22611 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Borderdog: I wasn't sure hence I put the (assumption) as I rarely see you posting in here when it comes to comparison testing between brands. I knew you did the Audio shows, as I once did years ago but 3 young kids later, that is behind me for now. And of course Dyn still rules to your ears and mine, but that's why personal preference comes in, sure they are one of the best neutral speaker out there and their dynamics are excellent, but there are plenty of different brands that offer up a different sound that might sound more pleasant too some one else. See I keep on trying other brands and I always come back to my C2 as a reference point. Just curious on what other brands you think sound good? I like Joseph Audio as they come close too the sound of Dynaudio, but they have gotten way too expensive over the years even their bookshelves.

Last edited by Garman; Today at 11:06 AM.
post #22597 of 22611 Old Today, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Just curious on what other brands you think sound good? I like Joseph Audio as they come close too the sound of Dynaudio...
Man, does this illustrate...what a different track I take in the hobby. I'm not trying to pick on Garman certainly; I know he didn't mean this literally. But for me...why would you want to try another speaker; that sounds the same as something else?

I'm all about dichotomy; mixing it up. I go from 500 watt class-D amps, to low-watt tubes; big-balls slamma-jamma speakers, to neutral, natural mid-excelling designs. Oh...and then back!

I mean...far be it, for me to tell anyone how to be an audiophile; but to me...what does it even mean? We love music...and we love the gear that makes it. We also love the gear! Well how are you loving the gear...and actively participating in the hobby; if you've had the same system, for 10 years?

Don't get me wrong; I'm at the extreme...I get it. But you guys, who have had the same stuff...for sooo long (and I'm not singling anyone out); aren't you ever curious about something else? If you say "sure...I listen to it at the shop, or shows; and it's not as good, as my XYZ"...you're missing the point.

Of course it's not. We're resistant to change; including, and maybe especially our ears (and yes, eyes). Man...you have to live with kit; get used to it, the way you've gotten used to your "A". Then you can A/B it. And again...for me, it's not always about getting "better". Often, I'll go sideways...just to try something "different".

Many times, it's "equally" as good; sometimes not. I mean...I never try (or keep), "bad" kit...for the sake of being different. But sure...I might trade "down", just to mix it up. I can do it...because of used gear; I don't lose money (or much...and it's a small price to pay, if it is; to satisfy my curiosities)...and uh, hello...McFly. I can always go back to something, that I let go but miss (and have).

Case in point...I am very excited, to have just bought a sweet, little EL-84 based tube IA; and some very high-effciency, single-driver speakers (which shall go nameless). Now...this isn't a replacement, for the Main rig; and who knows how long it'll stay around. As long as I'm enjoying it. If that stops...well, then on to more good kit (although I'm frankly, running out of the things I want to try...and have a house-full, of really satisfying gear at the moment

BTW; the thread has been riveting lately: headphones, Aaron's fingers...the fights. Whoever put us back "on track"; well done.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22598 of 22611 Old Today, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Borderdog: I wasn't sure hence I put the (assumption) as I rarely see you posting in here when it comes to comparison testing between brands. I knew you did the Audio shows, as I once did years ago but 3 young kids later, that is behind me for now. And of course Dyn still rules to your ears and mine, but that's why personal preference comes in, sure they are one of the best neutral speaker out there and their dynamics are excellent, but there are plenty of different brands that offer up a different sound that might sound more pleasant too some one else. See I keep on trying other brands and I always come back to my C2 as a reference point. Just curious on what other brands you think sound good? I like Joseph Audio as they come close too the sound of Dynaudio, but they have gotten way too expensive over the years even their bookshelves.
I don't post about my other experiences with other speakers. I guess it's why we call it the Dynaudio thread.
And yes, I think the Joseph Audio speakers are very good. I just don't like swapping out speakers anymore; quit doing that.
Even though the C2's are on the radar.
post #22599 of 22611 Old Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Man, does this illustrate...what a different track I take in the hobby. I'm not trying to pick on Garman certainly; I know he didn't mean this literally. But for me...why would you want to try another speaker; that sounds the same as something else?

I'm all about dichotomy; mixing it up. I go from 500 watt class-D amps, to low-watt tubes; big-balls slamma-jamma speakers, to neutral, natural mid-excelling designs. Oh...and then back!

I mean...far be it, for me to tell anyone how to be an audiophile; but to me...what does it even mean? We love music...and we love the gear that makes it. We also love the gear! Well how are you loving the gear...and actively participating in the hobby; if you've had the same system, for 10 years?

Don't get me wrong; I'm at the extreme...I get it. But you guys, who have had the same stuff...for sooo long (and I'm not singling anyone out); aren't you ever curious about something else? If you say "sure...I listen to it at the shop, or shows; and it's not as good, as my XYZ"...you're missing the point.

Of course it's not. We're resistant to change; including, and maybe especially our ears (and yes, eyes). Man...you have to live with kit; get used to it, the way you've gotten used to your "A". Then you can A/B it. And again...for me, it's not always about getting "better". Often, I'll go sideways...just to try something "different".

Many times, it's "equally" as good; sometimes not. I mean...I never try (or keep), "bad" kit...for the sake of being different. But sure...I might trade "down", just to mix it up. I can do it...because of used gear; I don't lose money (or much...and it's a small price to pay, if it is; to satisfy my curiosities)...and uh, hello...McFly. I can always go back to something, that I let go but miss (and have).

Case in point...I am very excited, to have just bought a sweet, little EL-84 based tube IA; and some very high-effciency, single-driver speakers (which shall go nameless). Now...this isn't a replacement, for the Main rig; and who knows how long it'll stay around. As long as I'm enjoying it. If that stops...well, then on to more good kit (although I'm frankly, running out of the things I want to try...and have a house-full, of really satisfying gear at the moment

BTW; the thread has been riveting lately: headphones, Aaron's fingers...the fights. Whoever put us back "on track"; well done.
Good post CD,

I'm sorry I ever brought my finger into the discussion. (I was just trying to lighten things up a bit.)
It was just an accident. I fucj]ed up. But the good news is the doctors did an excellent job and my right hand is probably back to 90+%.
So, enough about my finger. (I wish they had a middle finger smiley...LOL)

The new Belles VT-01 is in my system now. Wow! Wow! Wow!
It's the best pre I've ever heard.

Aaron
post #22600 of 22611 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CD: No skin off my back, I use Dynaudio as my reference point as one of the best speakers I have heard and or owned. Reviewers do that stuff all the time as do many other people, they have a reference point on what "They" think sounds the best to them etc.. If I can find a speaker that sounds almost as good as my reference speaker or damn close for less then so be it. (Hence my other systems, Office/Family room etc.) I look for deals in audio all the time like you do, so I think your missing my point. I was making the reference to the Joseph Audio sounding like Dynaudio and that I liked there sound as well. Trickle down technology will effect what gets better at a giving price point, Dynaudio does this with other less expensive models as does many other manufactures. So I don't think I missing the point at all, this goes with equipment etc.. I am with you on having good satisfying gear as I go through spurts when it comes too swapping out equipment, but one thing that has remained very constant is my love of the Dynaudio brand especially in my main system.

My take isn't very different to yours at all, I just happen to have a pair of reference speakers which are my main speakers I love, where we differ is you still haven't found a pair or brand that you keep for very long in your main rig.

Borderdog: I still swap out speakers from time to time, as I like trying new and different speakers and equipment out it wouldn't be a hobby to me if I didn't try some thing new and different once in awhile. I do also upgrade when it comes to Video and HT equipment as things tend to change their more frequently.

Last edited by Garman; Today at 04:11 PM.
post #22601 of 22611 Old Today, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
CD, you really need to let this go, you've been dropping passive aggressive little jabs every time you post and you really need to grow up and stop being being such a baby. The Dyne thread is not the place to post your Harbeth, Spendor or PMC speakers ( which you've been doing on a regular basis ), it's really simple and I was simply pointing this out.:roll eyes:
post #22602 of 22611 Old Today, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Dynero: Well to answer CD questions on who brought us back on track, I don't think we ever got off track and even if we do from time to time, who cares? I mentioned to some one about it would be cool if Dynaudio's made a pair of Headphones, then we got talking about headphones etc... The few post that were talked about with Aaron and his finger really is no big deal. The same goes with CD, if he wants to talk about other speakers in comparison to Dynaudio to keep it some what I track, I don't mind, but I can't blame him for taking a few shots across the bow for other few posts that are not even speaker or equipment related. (I think he was poking fun at the whole issue) Again if he wants to post Harbeth/Spendor or PMC speakers he can, as long as he is comparing them etc, I don't think he is going out of his way to promote anything from the threads that I have read. I come here because I respect everyones knowledge, opinion on speakers/room treatments equipment etc, sure we can have disagreements, doesn't make some one right or wrong because a lot of this hobby is based on personal preference and opinion of course!
post #22603 of 22611 Old Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
CD, you really need to let this go, you've been dropping passive aggressive little jabs every time you post and you really need to grow up and stop being being such a baby. The Dyne thread is not the place to post your Harbeth, Spendor or PMC speakers ( which you've been doing on a regular basis ), it's really simple and I was simply pointing this out.:roll eyes:
Quote:
...but I can't blame him for taking a few shots across the bow for other few posts that are not even speaker or equipment related. (I think he was poking fun at the whole issue)
Thank goodness someone gets it.

All you old fogies, can have your thread.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #22604 of 22611 Old Today, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My take isn't very different to yours at all, I just happen to have a pair of reference speakers which are my main speakers I love, where we differ is you still haven't found a pair or brand that you keep for very long in your main rig.
Not entirely true. I've come back to a brand, I liked very much...twice before; and moved up their ladder.

I don't think these speakers, will be going anywhere; even if I do try others...from time to time, or in other systems.

post #22605 of 22611 Old Today, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dynero: Well to answer CD questions on who brought us back on track, I don't think we ever got off track and even if we do from time to time, who cares? I mentioned to some one about it would be cool if Dynaudio's made a pair of Headphones, then we got talking about headphones etc... The few post that were talked about with Aaron and his finger really is no big deal. The same goes with CD, if he wants to talk about other speakers in comparison to Dynaudio to keep it some what I track, I don't mind, but I can't blame him for taking a few shots across the bow for other few posts that are not even speaker or equipment related. (I think he was poking fun at the whole issue) Again if he wants to post Harbeth/Spendor or PMC speakers he can, as long as he is comparing them etc, I don't think he is going out of his way to promote anything from the threads that I have read. I come here because I respect everyones knowledge, opinion on speakers/room treatments equipment etc, sure we can have disagreements, doesn't make some one right or wrong because a lot of this hobby is based on personal preference and opinion of course!
Nicely put Garman, faultless logic
post #22606 of 22611 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank goodness someone gets it.

All you old fogies, can have your thread.
oh please, we all know you'll be back, this is like your fifth goodbye
post #22607 of 22611 Old Today, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
oh please, we all know you'll be back, this is like your fifth goodbye
Nah; I don't have sh*t to say about sh*t around here. If I'm being honest...this thread has had its share of ups and downs; and members have come and gone. But I think you and Borderdog have finally killed it off.

I say we leave it to Dynero and Borderdog fellas; since they seem to have all the knowledge and wisdom. Oops...I better be careful; I don't want to become "inflammatory"; again (lord knows a person, can't change their stripes ::ahem::

Bloviate away you two!

post #22608 of 22611 Old Today, 06:10 PM

The Real Borderdog

I post this because Pepper, the real Borderdog, has been my constant listening companion since he was a pup.

For me, the most important issue is the Real Borderdog. Pepper is over 13 now. Screw audio and other things related. If I could buy him a few more years of life, I would sell all my equipment/gear in a heartbeat. But alas, time is working against us.

Why couldn't God or the Creator give dogs (Man's best friend) a longer life?

Pepper is doing fine now, but his days are limited.

The Secondary Borderdog
post #22609 of 22611 Old Today, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not entirely true. I've come back to a brand, I liked very much...twice before; and moved up their ladder.

I don't think these speakers, will be going anywhere; even if I do try others...from time to time, or in other systems.
CD: I too have moved up the ladder as well, started off with Dynaudio Audience series stuff then gravitated towards Contour/Focus and then to Confidence line, this has been going on since 1995, then I finally stuck with my C2 Home Theater System for many years now and use that as a reference system. My Office and Family Rooms are my rooms where I switch stuff out more frequently as it not as hard on the pocket book as they are modest systems in comparison to my HT/Music room. Next up in Home Theater Receiver I typically upgrade these every 6-5 years.

Dynero: Faultless logic is the only way to go in these forums, as this hobby isn't exact science. Well in some areas it can be, but in many it isn't even close. As stated before; a lot has to do with what your personal tastes and preference, I see way too many people get worked up over nothing, because they say one brand is better than another etc..

Borderdog: Good to hear he is alive and kicking! I had a few Border Collies when I was a kid up until college and we had a mix breed for 14 years and lost him in 2010 same year we lost my mother and father-in-law all with in a month of each other. Bad Year! On a lighter note, 3 months after that devastation we bought another dog who has been the best mixed breed and friend of the family we could have ever hoped for! (Chesapeake Bay Lab/Husky Mix). <<<<<< I would sell all my audio equipment just to keep him around longer and thats a fact!

Last edited by Garman; Today at 06:19 PM.
post #22610 of 22611 Old Today, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Nah; I don't have sh*t to say about sh*t around here. If I'm being honest...this thread has had its share of ups and downs; and members have come and gone. But I think you and Borderdog have finally killed it off.

I say we leave it to Dynero and Borderdog fellas; since they seem to have all the knowledge and wisdom. Oops...I better be careful; I don't want to become "inflammatory"; again (lord knows a person, can't change their stripes ::ahem::

Bloviate away you two!
CD,

I have never attacked you directly. Why did you include me in Your last post?

In fact, I complimented you on a prior post!
post #22611 of 22611 Old Today, 06:44 PM

Quote:
CD:
Borderdog: Good to hear he is alive and kicking! I had a few Border Collies when I was a kid up until college and we had a mix breed for 14 years and lost him in 2010 same year we lost my mother and father-in-law all with in a month of each other. Bad Year! On a lighter note, 3 months after that devastation we bought another dog who has been the best mixed breed and friend of the family we could have ever hoped for! (Chesapeake Bay Lab/Husky Mix). <<<<<< I would sell all my audio equipment just to keep him around longer and thats a fact!
Garman,

Sounds like it was a tough year for you.

Luckily, both my parents are still around; my Father is 87 and my Mother is 81.
I feel guilty sometimes because I don't see them enough. Family is so important!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page