post #23041 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
All this talk of the 160s has me wondering what the differences are between the S1.4 and the 160s? Has anyone owned both of these long enough to have some opinions on a comparison?

Also, do the 160s bolt into the Stand4 like the C1's or S1.4's?
I owned the 160s and the Stand6. The Stand4 was designed to bolt to the C1s only. The Stand6 could bolt to the C1s with an adapter (not included). Otherwise the 160s simply rest on the rubber pads on the top of the Stand6.

I have demoed the 160s, S1.4s, and C1IIS speakers in the same room with the same Accuphase amp. I found the 1.4s to be my least favorite with perhaps too much bass emphasis for their size. In this sense they sounded "dark" and recessed I suppose. The C1IIS speakers were on the opposite end: perfectly smooth and forward in the mids and highs but perhaps lacking in the bass. The 160s were in between offering the best overall balance and package albeit not as smooth and forward in the highs and not looking as glamorous as the C1IIS speakers. But keep in mind the Focus costs $2900 to the C1 (Platinum) for $9400.

But if you want to consider used:
Focus 160 Piano Black - $1780 (no stands)
C1 II Signature Bordeaux - $5000 (with stands)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
You're being very generous. With a free Pandora account, you only get 128 kbps. Premium acoount gets you 192 kbps or 256 kbps (can't remember at the moment).
I guess it was only Mog and Spotify that went up to 320 kbps. Big Wow.
post #23043 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What No dYnaudio talk. LMAO!!! Hey I have a Naim Unitiserve 2TB as a music server with a Naim nDac and a XP5XS p/s for the dac. That replaced a Meridian G08. Personally the G08 sounds a hair better but the convenience of the Naim Userve just beats it. I just have to control it from an Ipad or my PC. Downloaded Hi Rez files just kick butt. I have compared 320K streaming to redbook and the redbook wins every time. Hi Rez puts redbook to shame IMO. Talk about lack of compression.
post #23044 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Bit Rates

Here's a little follow-up to why the bit rate of streamed music and MP3's at only up to 320 kbps is such a joke. And how much information(bits) has to be discarded.

Bit rates of the different bit depth/sample rates:
16/44: 1144 kbps (Redbook CD)
24/44: 2116 kbps
24/48: 2304 "
24/88: 4233 "
24/96: 4608 "
24/192: 9216 "
post #23045 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Borderdog,

Thanks for relaying you experiences with digital music. It's good to know there are other audiophiles having great results going this route. I'm always looking for ways to improve my own setup and you've given me some great stuff to consider.
I started ripping CDs around '06. This was years before I had decent speakers at home to listen through. At the time, storage was minimal and expensive. I concentrated on ripping into mp3s since I didn't know any better. This was so I could fit as many songs as possible onto my iPod and kenwood music keg for playback in my car. Thought it sounded good at the time.
After buying a house and listening to more music at home, I realized the mp3s sounded a little rough. I reripped my CDs in apple lossless, with improved results.
Unfortunately, these days there's only a couple of bands I buy a whole cd for and the hirez sites have next to nothing I listen to. So I'm kind of at a loss as to where to get high quality music I actually like
post #23046 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
I think it's going to be awhile before you see streaming at 1411 kbps (CD bit rate).
Pandora and some of the others rarely exceed 320 kbps.
Most people that subscribe to streamed music could care less about the quality.
The streaming music companies are not going to pander to the maybe 5% of the subscribers who are audiophiles; and are most people willing to pay a higher subscription fee?
Won't be done to pander to audiophiles. It will be done as a marketing ploy for the masses. It will be a differentiator for one of the major players..."we have high quality downloads and they don't!" Apple or amazon will do it to steal marker share from the other one. Probably amazon will be first. Doubt it will be long before we see it.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #23047 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Also think the audiophile market is more like 1/10th of one percent. Probably less.

post #23048 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Won't be done to pander to audiophiles. It will be done as a marketing ploy for the masses. It will be a differentiator for one of the major players..."we have high quality downloads and they don't!" Apple or amazon will do it to steal marker share from the other one. Probably amazon will be first. Doubt it will be long before we see it.
See this is what I was thinking, if Apple said hey we revolutionized the market with the iPod... Now we are gonna do it again, introducing iTunes HD! IMO I think they'd grab the better share of the market and possibly they could spell the end of HD tracks, with a larger more mainstream library of music. JMO.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #23049 of 23065 Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
GT: So explain to me what dark sounds like? JK!

Well I am going to update my Dali's sell off my KEF's and either update my C2's if Tyler every calls me to tell me he has another pair of C2 in stock to listen too! Or just buy another pair of C1 MK II versions that sound better at lower listening levels! LOL <<<<<< Overly annoying sarcasm! Second week in Sept, wife gets furniture I am downsizing to simplicity (well a matter of speaking) Hell, I should just take up drinking, it's cheaper but a harder habit to kick!

Heck even the XEO would be kind of cool to have around....

jaxwired: you still haven't answered my question about what kind of computer are you using for audio playback? By the way the Irene Diaz has a killer voice thanks for posting that! And if you know where I can get the CD let me know searching the net with very little more than crapy downloads. I just went to her website and ordered the CD!

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 12:27 AM.
post #23050 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
See this is what I was thinking, if Apple said hey we revolutionized the market with the iPod... Now we are gonna do it again, introducing iTunes HD! IMO I think they'd grab the better share of the market and possibly they could spell the end of HD tracks, with a larger more mainstream library of music. JMO.
This is not a rumor, Apple is working on this. I expect this soon. Itune downloads have been trending down, with services like spotify out there. Apple sees HD downloads as a way to change or slow down that trend

.http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/10/...sic-downloads/
Garman likes this.

Last edited by wgerman; Yesterday at 06:47 AM.
post #23051 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Garman, my music computer is a C.A.P.S server as described on computeraudiophile.com here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...s-v3-topangas/

Only difference is, I added a local 500GB SSD so the music is all local rather than on a NAS drive. I'm running windows 8 pro.

Ive been very happy with it. Sound is superb IMO and noticeably better than the airport express I used previously.

Before I went in this direction I also strongly considered a Mac mini which is also a very good option. Had this CAPS server for about 2 years now. No real issues to speak of. I leave it on at all times. But I don't have to. With the SSD drive it boots in about 15 secs. And I can shut it down cleanly with a double tap on the power button (windows 8 option).

post #23052 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

Garman,

If you or anyone else is interested you can sign up for my music recommendations. I send out emails to my mailing list when I have something worth recommending. Just send an email to musictrust@yahoo.com to sign up.
tr4a and callas01 like this.

post #23053 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

I too have "tried" to build my own CAPS PC, taking some advice from the computeraudiophile site. I've learned some things and maybe made some decisions that were so-so.

I think the crux of the nicer/newer CAPS PCs on computeraudiophile.com is the case. They use like a $400 case that has a special heat-pipe cooling solution built in, but I didn't like the price nor any of the case configurations. I instead went with a Silverstone ML04B case and the Prolimatech Samuel CPU cooler thinking this would be enough. I was wrong. My CPU temps were higher than I wanted, so I did add a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm x 15mm PMW Fan and this brought my temps way down. While the fan is completely silent I have no idea if it degrades the audio quality at all.

-The CPU I went with is the very low wattage (35W) Intel Core i3 4130T.
-The motherboard is a Gigabyte Mini ITX GA-B85N with a dedicated, gold-plated DAC port. Power to this DAC port can be turned on or off to avoid jitter. Meaning, if the DAC has its own power, you turn off the power from the motherboard so that the DAC only receives audio data.
-Otherwise, it runs 8GB of high speed DDR3 RAM as well as a very fast 128GB Samsung 840Pro SSD. (The music is actually stored on a NAS in my LAN.)
-Power is supplied via an external PicoPSU.
-Software: Win7 Ultimate / WMC + AnyDVD + JRiver

I should note that the PC is not a dedicated CAPS PC but more of a HTPC. It contains a Blu-Ray drive and I have an HDHomeRun Prime on my network, so I use the PC as a DVR as well.

Back when I was researching it, I obviously came across loads of posts arguing for $2K external power supplies, $500 insulated SATA cables, $400 SOTM USB card, etc. I have no idea what kind of benefit all of this would have done for me.

The PC connects directly to my Meridian Direct DAC via USB and this is connected to my NAIM XS-2 amp.

I am happy with the solution; it does everything I intended for it to do. The biggest determinant to audio quality I have found is the quality of the files being input into it. Playing the FLAC files via JRiver produces the best results while there is a noticeable difference playing Pandora via the browser, etc.

Last edited by GTaudiophile; Yesterday at 08:36 AM.
post #23054 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Back when I was researching it, I obviously came across loads of posts arguing for $2K external power supplies, $500 insulated SATA cables, $400 SOTM USB card, etc. I have no idea what kind of benefit all of this would have done me.
I'm thinking if you have an excellent DAC that stuff does nothing. My DAC has galvanic isolation so that no electrical noise can transfer from the computer. It also is asynchronous USB with a very high precision femto clock so the signal is reclocked effectively eliminating at least the jitter introduced at the computer side.

post #23055 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Garman, my music computer is a C.A.P.S server as described on computeraudiophile.com here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...s-v3-topangas/

Only difference is, I added a local 500GB SSD so the music is all local rather than on a NAS drive. I'm running windows 8 pro.

Ive been very happy with it. Sound is superb IMO and noticeably better than the airport express I used previously.

Before I went in this direction I also strongly considered a Mac mini which is also a very good option. Had this CAPS server for about 2 years now. No real issues to speak of. I leave it on at all times. But I don't have to. With the SSD drive it boots in about 15 secs. And I can shut it down cleanly with a double tap on the power button (windows 8 option).
Jaxwired: Thanks sounds like a good solution, I am looking at using a Mac mini with dual 500 gig SD Drives so it should run quite.
post #23056 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm thinking if you have an excellent DAC that stuff does nothing. My DAC has galvanic isolation so that no electrical noise can transfer from the computer. It also is asynchronous USB with a very high precision femto clock so the signal is reclocked effectively eliminating at least the jitter introduced at the computer side.
Which DAC is that these days?
post #23057 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I agree completely. There are so many ways to quiet a computer without getting into expensive power supplies and other hardware upgrades. Shutting down all unnecessary software and background OS activity really makes a difference.I think lots of RAM (a least 8GB), so you have the ability to use memory playback is one of the most important. RAM is inexpensive these days. My Mini hardly ever spins up.

My Ayre dac is asynchronous USB with galvanic isolation. I'm trying out another dac right now which is in the same price range as the Ayre. It has asynchronous USB, but no galvanic isolation. Soundwise, it's not close to the Ayre.
post #23058 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

$3250 for the QB-9 is no small change.

Makes the Teddy Pardo DAC for $1500 seem like a deal.
post #23059 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
$3250 for the QB-9 is no small change.

Makes the Teddy Pardo DAC for $1500 seem like a deal.
But then, sometimes you get what you pay for.
post #23060 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Which DAC is that these days?

wyred4sound DAC2dsdSE (w/femto)

post #23061 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it just me, or did the mobile version just get even sh!tt!er?
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by callas01; Yesterday at 05:58 PM.
post #23062 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Being I have worked with computers since 1976 I can honestly say I don't get the need for super fast CPU/Buss and or hard drive speeds. What you listen to is up to 20khz (20,000 hertz for those not into computer specs). I mean if looking at a average computer from a min of 10 years ago you have Buss speeds of 800 mhz (Mega Hertz - 800,000,000 cpu/buss cycles) and cpu speeds of 2.0 ghz (2,000,000,000 cpu only cycles) minimum. Even with all the overhead that runs to process all that information it still looks like overkill to me. Yeah - run a bare operating system and just the programs you need to play music. SSD drives are dead silent and faster than any high performance server drive that spins but my fear is they are memory and give you no warning of failure like an old school spinning drive. When the die they are dead and there is no recovery. With a spinning drive there is about a 50% chance of total recovery and even higher chance of a partial recovery. Something to think about
Bluvette likes this.
post #23063 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Being I have worked with computers since 1976 I can honestly say I don't get the need for super fast CPU/Buss and or hard drive speeds. What you listen to is up to 20khz (20,000 hertz for those not into computer specs). I mean if looking at a average computer from a min of 10 years ago you have Buss speeds of 800 mhz (Mega Hertz - 800,000,000 cpu/buss cycles) and cpu speeds of 2.0 ghz (2,000,000,000 cpu only cycles) minimum. Even with all the overhead that runs to process all that information it still looks like overkill to me. Yeah - run a bare operating system and just the programs you need to play music. SSD drives are dead silent and faster than any high performance server drive that spins but my fear is they are memory and give you no warning of failure like an old school spinning drive. When the die they are dead and there is no recovery. With a spinning drive there is about a 50% chance of total recovery and even higher chance of a partial recovery. Something to think about
I have a pretty elaborate computer setup and have for some time and I agree with you, SSD drive goes bad, it's basically DOA. But that's what the whole selling point was, no moving parts and less of a chance for it to die on you. lol SSD drives are great if your doing a lot of video or if your concerned about vibration or spinning noise of the drive, nothing wrong with using SSD drive for music playback but make sure you have 2 copies for back ups when it comes to taking the time to burn the 2000 + CDs I have to convert it over to a digital based system you bet I am going to back it up. I wonder what the life span of a hard drives are SSD verses spinning drives?

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-l...k-drives-last/

SSD drives haven't been out nearly as long and not as many adopters as prices are still too high in comparison, frankly the data is still out on which will be better, but either way I just make sure I do monthly and some times weekly back ups.
post #23064 of 23065 Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know if this is popular, but heres a cool artist/song I have it in my wish list on amazon.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #23065 of 23065 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I heard Ben Howard before, we have a Specialty CD store so I am sure they can get this before US release date, the download doesn't sound bad on the Dynaudio's. But I wish they would release the download and CD, because some times the download just isn't as good enough quality for me especially on iTunes and Amazon. I still like Physical media, call me old school, keeps more people employed! I worked concerts in the past and saw U2 4 times and worked 2 of the shows backstage and met the band several times, all very nice guys and friendly I got 3 Albums at the time signed by them and one picture. I like 80 old school pop rock, classical/jazz/blues and folk some country (little) Allison Kraus comes to mind. I lately like Train as they seem to have a different flavor every time they come out with a new Album, last one had a Caribbean flavor too it! This new one seems different, and any new artist with some great vocals, especially female artist lately. Thanks Jaxwired for sending me all the good stuff lately. I bought 3 CD because if it. LOL

http://www.benhowardmusic.co.uk

I have always liked this band as well, as I have seen them several times, much better than the one song that gives them fame!

http://www.wearejames.com

and

http://savemesanfrancisco.com

Last edited by Garman; Today at 08:54 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page