post #23041 of 23051 Old Today, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Pandora and some of the others rarely exceed 320 kbps.
You're being very generous. With a free Pandora account, you only get 128 kbps. Premium acoount gets you 192 kbps or 256 kbps (can't remember at the moment).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 23051 Old Today, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All this talk of the 160s has me wondering what the differences are between the S1.4 and the 160s? Has anyone owned both of these long enough to have some opinions on a comparison?

Also, do the 160s bolt into the Stand4 like the C1's or S1.4's?
post #23043 of 23051 Old Today, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Computer vs. Good CD player

As I mentioned in a previous post I've been doing the computer thing for quite awhile.

The only reason I'm posting this is there has been a lot of discussion on other forums where there are still people that believe computer served music is not as good as a CDP. Luddites.

When I first started ripping my CD's I don't remember what my setup was at the time. I do remember that I had a Meridian pre/pro that I was using as the DAC. It only had the ability to play 16/48, but that was okay because everything I had at the time was just CD 16/44.

I also had a Naim CD5X with the separate power supply (about $4.5K at the time). It was one of the best sounding CD players I had ever heard. At the time, the Naim CDP sounded a little better than playing digital files through my Meridian pre/pro, but I was having fun experimenting and slowly getting my feet wet. I was stilling spinning CD's on the Naim, but not quite as much as I was slowly evolving towards all computer.

Then Ayre came out with it's QB-9 USB Dac. That changed everything. I purchased a new Mac Mini and the Ayre Dac. I Upgraded my Hard Drive and purchased my first Airport Extreme. This was about 5 years ago. By then I had a pretty large digital music library on the hard drive.

So to quiet my own doubts, I needed to do some sort of A/B test. The Ayre was hooked to one input of my Preamp and the Naim to another input. I have a large collection of MFSL and DCC CD's. I picked out a number of CD's I thought were exceptionally well remastered. I would then load a CD into the Naim and bring the same CD up in iTunes, then I would start them both at the same time, trying to synchronize them. Then all I had to do was use my preamp's remote and switch between the inputs. I did this for a couple days. The difference was startling.
I never spun another CD on the Naim again. It got Audiogonned.

Done right, with a good dac, computer served music kills a CD player. Especially when played through Dynaudio speakers.
ambesolman likes this.
post #23044 of 23051 Old Today, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
All this talk of the 160s has me wondering what the differences are between the S1.4 and the 160s? Has anyone owned both of these long enough to have some opinions on a comparison?

Also, do the 160s bolt into the Stand4 like the C1's or S1.4's?
I owned the 160s and the Stand6. The Stand4 was designed to bolt to the C1s only. The Stand6 could bolt to the C1s with an adapter (not included). Otherwise the 160s simply rest on the rubber pads on the top of the Stand6.

I have demoed the 160s, S1.4s, and C1IIS speakers in the same room with the same Accuphase amp. I found the 1.4s to be my least favorite with perhaps too much bass emphasis for their size. In this sense they sounded "dark" and recessed I suppose. The C1IIS speakers were on the opposite end: perfectly smooth and forward in the mids and highs but perhaps lacking in the bass. The 160s were in between offering the best overall balance and package albeit not as smooth and forward in the highs and not looking as glamorous as the C1IIS speakers. But keep in mind the Focus costs $2900 to the C1 (Platinum) for $9400.

But if you want to consider used:
Focus 160 Piano Black - $1780 (no stands)
C1 II Signature Bordeaux - $5000 (with stands)
post #23045 of 23051 Old Today, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
You're being very generous. With a free Pandora account, you only get 128 kbps. Premium acoount gets you 192 kbps or 256 kbps (can't remember at the moment).
I guess it was only Mog and Spotify that went up to 320 kbps. Big Wow.
post #23046 of 23051 Old Today, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What No dYnaudio talk. LMAO!!! Hey I have a Naim Unitiserve 2TB as a music server with a Naim nDac and a XP5XS p/s for the dac. That replaced a Meridian G08. Personally the G08 sounds a hair better but the convenience of the Naim Userve just beats it. I just have to control it from an Ipad or my PC. Downloaded Hi Rez files just kick butt. I have compared 320K streaming to redbook and the redbook wins every time. Hi Rez puts redbook to shame IMO. Talk about lack of compression.
post #23047 of 23051 Old Today, 06:55 PM

Bit Rates

Here's a little follow-up to why the bit rate of streamed music and MP3's at only up to 320 kbps is such a joke. And how much information(bits) has to be discarded.

Bit rates of the different bit depth/sample rates:
16/44: 1144 kbps (Redbook CD)
24/44: 2116 kbps
24/48: 2304 "
24/88: 4233 "
24/96: 4608 "
24/192: 9216 "
post #23048 of 23051 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Borderdog,

Thanks for relaying you experiences with digital music. It's good to know there are other audiophiles having great results going this route. I'm always looking for ways to improve my own setup and you've given me some great stuff to consider.
I started ripping CDs around '06. This was years before I had decent speakers at home to listen through. At the time, storage was minimal and expensive. I concentrated on ripping into mp3s since I didn't know any better. This was so I could fit as many songs as possible onto my iPod and kenwood music keg for playback in my car. Thought it sounded good at the time.
After buying a house and listening to more music at home, I realized the mp3s sounded a little rough. I reripped my CDs in apple lossless, with improved results.
Unfortunately, these days there's only a couple of bands I buy a whole cd for and the hirez sites have next to nothing I listen to. So I'm kind of at a loss as to where to get high quality music I actually like
post #23049 of 23051 Old Today, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
I think it's going to be awhile before you see streaming at 1411 kbps (CD bit rate).
Pandora and some of the others rarely exceed 320 kbps.
Most people that subscribe to streamed music could care less about the quality.
The streaming music companies are not going to pander to the maybe 5% of the subscribers who are audiophiles; and are most people willing to pay a higher subscription fee?
Won't be done to pander to audiophiles. It will be done as a marketing ploy for the masses. It will be a differentiator for one of the major players..."we have high quality downloads and they don't!" Apple or amazon will do it to steal marker share from the other one. Probably amazon will be first. Doubt it will be long before we see it.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #23050 of 23051 Old Today, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Also think the audiophile market is more like 1/10th of one percent. Probably less.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #23051 of 23051 Old Today, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Won't be done to pander to audiophiles. It will be done as a marketing ploy for the masses. It will be a differentiator for one of the major players..."we have high quality downloads and they don't!" Apple or amazon will do it to steal marker share from the other one. Probably amazon will be first. Doubt it will be long before we see it.
See this is what I was thinking, if Apple said hey we revolutionized the market with the iPod... Now we are gonna do it again, introducing iTunes HD! IMO I think they'd grab the better share of the market and possibly they could spell the end of HD tracks, with a larger more mainstream library of music. JMO.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page