post #23071 of 23080 Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Well, it's a year later and I am still loving my Xeo5 speakers. So when I found out that JS Audio was selling the store's Xeo5 demo speakers at a considerable discount, I snatched them up, and now they are in my master bedroom on the second floor. I love the flexibility of being able to listen to a different source than the Xeo5s in my living room. IMHO the Xeo5s are the best bargain in HiFi today.
You might want to guard your wallet then. Dynaudio might be "XEOing" the Focus line too. But not wireless? Stay tuned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23072 of 23080 Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Borderdog/callaso1 etc... I got a Mac Mini cheap and I am going to turn it into a music server this week and just curious if there is an advantage to using a SSD drive when it comes to keeping the unit quite and not vibrating while listening to music etc.. And what size drive to you guys use? I was thinking of a decent size SSD for the computer itself and driving a 3-4 Terabyte for my iTunes and Pure Music software etc.... Open to suggestions....

GTaudiophile: Interesting that they will be going the power speaker line with the Focus. Thats pretty easy if you read the fine print of the picture posted on here! Now the question is how much, as either of those speaker would be great as I could find a very practical use for them. Problem with doing that you can potentially piss off some equipment makers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01003ss.jpg (270.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Garman; 08-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #23073 of 23080 Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Borderdog/callaso1 etc... I got a Mac Mini cheap and I am going to turn it into a music server this week and just curious if there is an advantage to using a SSD drive when it comes to keeping the unit quite and not vibrating while listening to music etc.. And what size drive to you guys use? I was thinking of a decent size SSD for the computer itself and driving a 3-4 Terabyte for my iTunes and Pure Music software etc.... Open to suggestions....
Garman,

As I have said before, if you have enough RAM (8Gigs), and you have a memory player like Pure Music or Audirvana to go along with iTunes, the internal drive once the computer has booted will hardly ever spin up. Unless you store music on the computer, which I don't recommend.
I never hear my Mac Mini and it has a conventional hard drive. The drive is not spinning because 1. the music is playing from RAM, 2. I have no music on the Mini.
post #23074 of 23080 Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I use a Macbook pro and I don't have any issues using it. Its dead quiet. I was using a DAC that wasn't asynchronous or galvanically isolated, so when I added the M2Tech Hiface, the noise floor dropped considerably... more then I thought I would have realized. My music is stored on the internal HD for now, I do plan to get a 2TB Ext. HD in a couple weeks and most of my music will be moved to the EHD. Ill keep it connected via USB when playing music and use my iPhone remote app to control everything.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #23075 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Borderdog/Callas01: Thanks for the input I do have a newer Macbook Air and older Black Macbook, kids use that one and the Macbook Air is on the road with me. I snagged a Mac Mini on Ebay cheap and will update the HD and memory to 16gig and I should be good to go. Heck even 8 should be more than enough.
post #23076 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Garman-
I would agree the vibration shouldn't be an issue with a standard HD, however, i would get the SSD from a pure speed perspective. I now run SSDs in all of my computers and have a small Intel NUC (Mac mini clone) hooked to my HT system. With the standard HDs, I use to leave the PCs on 24/7 since the boot/restore time was annoying, with SSDs it is "presto" full operation before i can sit down on the sofa. Even my cooperate work computer which i could startup and go to get coffee in the AM before i could login now starts before I can even walk over for coffee. The tradeoff has been the SSD capacity, but if you are going to have the music on some external megasized server somewhere else, this isn't an issue.

-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #23077 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

DyPryo: Looking at using this in my main setup with my Dynaudio so quality of the playback is going to be a must. I am upgrading the 320gig to a SSD drive and will most likely use a external 3TB-4TB hard drive for my music playback.
post #23078 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
DyPryo: Looking at using this in my main setup with my Dynaudio so quality of the playback is going to be a must. I am upgrading the 320gig to a SSD drive and will most likely use a external 3TB-4TB hard drive for my music playback.
Save your money. If you absolutely feel the need for a SSD drive in the Mini, 128 gigs or even 64 gigs is more than enough for a music server. Since you will probably go headless and no keyboard with the Mini, that means you won't need all those other apps like safari or Mail. I stripped mine down to bare bones.

I just checked my Mac Mini via screen share with my iMac. I have only 14.5 GB on the internal drive of the Mini. So what do you need that extra 305.5 GB on storage for? Like I said, a 64 GB drive is more than enough.

The only advantage a SSD drive has over a conventional hard drive is boot times and faster loading of apps and data, but since your data will be on another drive that negates the data part. I leave my Mini on all the time, so it's always ready to go, so that negates the need for faster boot times. When I do have to reboot, it still only takes about 2 minutes.

I have SSD drives on my iMac and my MacBook Pro Retina, but I do a lot of heavy lifting with those computers.

Last edited by Borderdog; 08-26-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #23079 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
For your external hard drive, get one with firewire. It will still have USB.
If you are using a USB dac, you want either firewire or ethernet input to the Mini.
There's a lot of crosstalk in the USB bus, so you want your external hard drive connected to a different type of input
post #23080 of 23080 Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Save your money. If you absolutely feel the need for a SSD drive in the Mini, 128 gigs or even 64 gigs is more than enough for a music server. Since you will probably go headless and no keyboard with the Mini, that means you won't need all those other apps like safari or Mail. I stripped mine down to bare bones.

I just checked my Mac Mini via screen share with my iMac. I have only 14.5 GB on the internal drive of the Mini. So what do you need that extra 305.5 GB on storage for? Like I said, a 64 GB drive is more than enough.

The only advantage a SSD drive has over a conventional hard drive is boot times and faster loading of apps and data, but since your data will be on another drive that negates the data part. I leave my Mini on all the time, so it's always ready to go, so that negates the need for faster boot times. When I do have to reboot, it still only takes about 2 minutes.

I have SSD drives on my iMac and my MacBook Pro Retina, but I do a lot of heavy lifting with those computers.
Aaron:

I am currently using a iMac with a i7 Quad Core with SSD Drives as well and my Macbook Air has one, they are much cheaper these days and its pretty easy to slap one in. As the Mac Mini with be used mostly for a music server but also a back up computer, these days frankly they are the best value considering you can get a i7 Quad Core Mini.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page