Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 770 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23071 of 23100 Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dynero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
GTaudiophile: I hope your talking about the looks when it comes to speakers on YouTube, unless he is using some sophisticated recording equipment. I like his setup as it is nice and clean, some thing I am trying to get back too! <<<<<<<<sarcasm
I know it does't make any sense but I've been guilty of this too, many times I've done an AB with a Dyn c4 and the Wilson Maxx 2 playing the same song in the same set-up thru youtube, for what it's worth to my ears the c4 sounded more refined and accurate while the maxx 2 sounded more detailed
samsung84 likes this.
Dynero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23072 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post
I know it does't make any sense but I've been guilty of this too, many times I've done an AB with a Dyn c4 and the Wilson Maxx 2 playing the same song in the same set-up thru youtube, for what it's worth to my ears the c4 sounded more refined and accurate while the maxx 2 sounded more detailed
No comment!
Garman is online now  
post #23073 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
J.Mike Ferrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Glad to help out. I love the passion for Dynaudio in this forum. Since I got the X5s, I've been rediscovering my collection. I'm hearing details in songs that I know by heart for the first time. What a thrill!
Well, it's a year later and I am still loving my Xeo5 speakers. So when I found out that JS Audio was selling the store's Xeo5 demo speakers at a considerable discount, I snatched them up, and now they are in my master bedroom on the second floor. I love the flexibility of being able to listen to a different source than the Xeo5s in my living room. IMHO the Xeo5s are the best bargain in HiFi today.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
J.Mike Ferrara is online now  
post #23074 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Well, it's a year later and I am still loving my Xeo5 speakers. So when I found out that JS Audio was selling the store's Xeo5 demo speakers at a considerable discount, I snatched them up, and now they are in my master bedroom on the second floor. I love the flexibility of being able to listen to a different source than the Xeo5s in my living room. IMHO the Xeo5s are the best bargain in HiFi today.
You might want to guard your wallet then. Dynaudio might be "XEOing" the Focus line too. But not wireless? Stay tuned...
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #23075 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Borderdog/callaso1 etc... I got a Mac Mini cheap and I am going to turn it into a music server this week and just curious if there is an advantage to using a SSD drive when it comes to keeping the unit quite and not vibrating while listening to music etc.. And what size drive to you guys use? I was thinking of a decent size SSD for the computer itself and driving a 3-4 Terabyte for my iTunes and Pure Music software etc.... Open to suggestions....

GTaudiophile: Interesting that they will be going the power speaker line with the Focus. Thats pretty easy if you read the fine print of the picture posted on here! Now the question is how much, as either of those speaker would be great as I could find a very practical use for them. Problem with doing that you can potentially piss off some equipment makers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01003ss.jpg (270.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Garman; 08-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Garman is online now  
post #23076 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Borderdog/callaso1 etc... I got a Mac Mini cheap and I am going to turn it into a music server this week and just curious if there is an advantage to using a SSD drive when it comes to keeping the unit quite and not vibrating while listening to music etc.. And what size drive to you guys use? I was thinking of a decent size SSD for the computer itself and driving a 3-4 Terabyte for my iTunes and Pure Music software etc.... Open to suggestions....
Garman,

As I have said before, if you have enough RAM (8Gigs), and you have a memory player like Pure Music or Audirvana to go along with iTunes, the internal drive once the computer has booted will hardly ever spin up. Unless you store music on the computer, which I don't recommend.
I never hear my Mac Mini and it has a conventional hard drive. The drive is not spinning because 1. the music is playing from RAM, 2. I have no music on the Mini.
Borderdog is online now  
post #23077 of 23100 Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I use a Macbook pro and I don't have any issues using it. Its dead quiet. I was using a DAC that wasn't asynchronous or galvanically isolated, so when I added the M2Tech Hiface, the noise floor dropped considerably... more then I thought I would have realized. My music is stored on the internal HD for now, I do plan to get a 2TB Ext. HD in a couple weeks and most of my music will be moved to the EHD. Ill keep it connected via USB when playing music and use my iPhone remote app to control everything.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is offline  
post #23078 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Borderdog/Callas01: Thanks for the input I do have a newer Macbook Air and older Black Macbook, kids use that one and the Macbook Air is on the road with me. I snagged a Mac Mini on Ebay cheap and will update the HD and memory to 16gig and I should be good to go. Heck even 8 should be more than enough.
Garman is online now  
post #23079 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
DrPyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Garman-
I would agree the vibration shouldn't be an issue with a standard HD, however, i would get the SSD from a pure speed perspective. I now run SSDs in all of my computers and have a small Intel NUC (Mac mini clone) hooked to my HT system. With the standard HDs, I use to leave the PCs on 24/7 since the boot/restore time was annoying, with SSDs it is "presto" full operation before i can sit down on the sofa. Even my cooperate work computer which i could startup and go to get coffee in the AM before i could login now starts before I can even walk over for coffee. The tradeoff has been the SSD capacity, but if you are going to have the music on some external megasized server somewhere else, this isn't an issue.

-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
DrPyro is online now  
post #23080 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
DyPryo: Looking at using this in my main setup with my Dynaudio so quality of the playback is going to be a must. I am upgrading the 320gig to a SSD drive and will most likely use a external 3TB-4TB hard drive for my music playback.
Garman is online now  
post #23081 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
DyPryo: Looking at using this in my main setup with my Dynaudio so quality of the playback is going to be a must. I am upgrading the 320gig to a SSD drive and will most likely use a external 3TB-4TB hard drive for my music playback.
Save your money. If you absolutely feel the need for a SSD drive in the Mini, 128 gigs or even 64 gigs is more than enough for a music server. Since you will probably go headless and no keyboard with the Mini, that means you won't need all those other apps like safari or Mail. I stripped mine down to bare bones.

I just checked my Mac Mini via screen share with my iMac. I have only 14.5 GB on the internal drive of the Mini. So what do you need that extra 305.5 GB on storage for? Like I said, a 64 GB drive is more than enough.

The only advantage a SSD drive has over a conventional hard drive is boot times and faster loading of apps and data, but since your data will be on another drive that negates the data part. I leave my Mini on all the time, so it's always ready to go, so that negates the need for faster boot times. When I do have to reboot, it still only takes about 2 minutes.

I have SSD drives on my iMac and my MacBook Pro Retina, but I do a lot of heavy lifting with those computers.

Last edited by Borderdog; 08-26-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Borderdog is online now  
post #23082 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
DyPryo: Looking at using this in my main setup with my Dynaudio so quality of the playback is going to be a must. I am upgrading the 320gig to a SSD drive and will most likely use a external 3TB-4TB hard drive for my music playback.
For your external hard drive, get one with firewire. It will still have USB.
If you are using a USB dac, you want either firewire or ethernet input to the Mini.
There's a lot of crosstalk in the USB bus, so you want your external hard drive connected to a different type of input
Borderdog is online now  
post #23083 of 23100 Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Save your money. If you absolutely feel the need for a SSD drive in the Mini, 128 gigs or even 64 gigs is more than enough for a music server. Since you will probably go headless and no keyboard with the Mini, that means you won't need all those other apps like safari or Mail. I stripped mine down to bare bones.

I just checked my Mac Mini via screen share with my iMac. I have only 14.5 GB on the internal drive of the Mini. So what do you need that extra 305.5 GB on storage for? Like I said, a 64 GB drive is more than enough.

The only advantage a SSD drive has over a conventional hard drive is boot times and faster loading of apps and data, but since your data will be on another drive that negates the data part. I leave my Mini on all the time, so it's always ready to go, so that negates the need for faster boot times. When I do have to reboot, it still only takes about 2 minutes.

I have SSD drives on my iMac and my MacBook Pro Retina, but I do a lot of heavy lifting with those computers.
Aaron:

I am currently using a iMac with a i7 Quad Core with SSD Drives as well and my Macbook Air has one, they are much cheaper these days and its pretty easy to slap one in. As the Mac Mini with be used mostly for a music server but also a back up computer, these days frankly they are the best value considering you can get a i7 Quad Core Mini.
Garman is online now  
post #23084 of 23100 Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I'm baaack. Here's a little treat https://app.audiogon.com/listings/mo...-san-rafael-ca

Happy Holiday!

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #23085 of 23100 Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Hey CD

Welcome to the Dyn thread, dangerous place to be though, just when you think your 1.3MKIIs are the cats meow you’ll be tempted to try out all their other models.

...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I'm baaack. Here's a little treat https://app.audiogon.com/listings/mo...-san-rafael-ca

Happy Holiday!
Knew you’d get the bug to upgrade from the 1.3MKIIs, next it’ll be the 25s or the C1’s.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

 

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

rob80b is offline  
post #23086 of 23100 Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Knew you’d get the bug to upgrade from the 1.3MKIIs, next it’ll be the 25s or the C1’s.
Ha; nice running gag. But no...not for me; never been crazy about that finish.

But I know someone in here, was looking for SEs; Garman maybe?

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #23087 of 23100 Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Lol, I was but not into blondes. But in this case might be good not to be picky! The problem guy wants local sale and from what I have read the Focus 160s are better.
Garman is online now  
post #23088 of 23100 Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Lol, I was but not into blondes. But in this case might be good not to be picky! The problem guy wants local sale and from what I have read the Focus 160s are better.
Ah; didn't see that part.

Focus 160s might be where my 2nd system is headed. I just bought a Wyred mINT, for the 1.3 mkIIs; if I think it would drive 160s sufficiently, I might bite.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #23089 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Ah; didn't see that part.

Focus 160s might be where my 2nd system is headed. I just bought a Wyred mINT, for the 1.3 mkIIs; if I think it would drive 160s sufficiently, I might bite.
CD: Those SE didn't last long...... I might bite on the Focus used or new, or I might wait till they have there floor stander in with the powered wireless option, if they go that route.
Garman is online now  
post #23090 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Nice to see this thread alive. Thought it died.

But I want to go OT: Has anyone demoed GoldenEar by chance? How good/bad are they?
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #23091 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Nice to see this thread alive. Thought it died.

But I want to go OT: Has anyone demoed GoldenEar by chance? How good/bad are they?
I have a local dealer that has them, they are decent for a HT setup, not as good in the clarity sense as Dynaudio/Dali/Magnepans/KEF or others... KEF has a new Reference series out that is suppose to be phenomenal! If it is anything like the LS50 they will do well. Although I like the Dynaudio 160 better, they are twice as much.
Garman is online now  
post #23092 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Borderdog: Is this the program you use with iTunes on your mac mini? Just got the Mac Mini and I am tweaking it for a music and movie server. More music, but I will have a separate hard drive where I will keep most of my music. I just updated a Macbook (Black) for a family computer and with a SSD drive and some extra memory it screams and boot time is about 25 sec verses 90 sec. Not a big deal but SSD drive are cheap these days under 500gb anything over is way over priced.
Garman is online now  
post #23093 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Nice to see this thread alive. Thought it died.

But I want to go OT: Has anyone demoed GoldenEar by chance? How good/bad are they?
Golden Ears are nice sounding speakers but do not sound like $50,000 speakers that the reviewers and marketing team would like you to believe. They'd have to be some pretty terrible $50k speakers for that to happen, not that it's impossible, just highly unlikely to my ears. I've listened to the Triton 2's and 7's a couple of times now and would say that the Contour 5.4's that I used to own outgun them both, no surprise there. It would be fair to say that they punch above they're price point, I'd say the farthest they'd reach would be the $5k price point. Some compromises are made to get them to have a sound that would seem to be above the msrp, mainly the aesthetics, which really aren't that great. The plastic cap that holds the sock up is really cheap and comes off very easily and the plastic bases are another cheap plastic area.

I also wouldn't consider the powered section as "subwoofers", more like powered woofers really. Small difference I know but one that might be important to some people. They didn't seem to hit as hard as the two eight inch woofers in the 5.4's but were slightly better than the two 8 inch woofers in my current Monitor Audio Silver 10's. The tweeter is very nice and open and the speakers have a good sense of scale along with all the drivers being very well integrated together. I could see the tweeters getting a little bright with poor source material but not over the top brightness.

The Triton 7's were somewhat unimpressive to me, the passive radiator seemed to be easily over driven. The setup at the dealer consisted of the Nad 375Bee and Nad cdp, don't remember the exact model. They did sound pretty good if you weren't expecting much low end response. I listened to a couple of Lindsey Stirling tracks and the 7's gave out pretty easily on the bass lines.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Triton 1's when Golden Ear finally gets their shipping delays dealt with. Although I am strongly considering the Contour 3.4 LE's as well. The Triton's are a good value speaker if you value sq over looks, if your looking for a combination of both look elsewhere.
weird 23 is online now  
post #23094 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post
Golden Ears are nice sounding speakers but do not sound like $50,000 speakers that the reviewers and marketing team would like you to believe. They'd have to be some pretty terrible $50k speakers for that to happen, not that it's impossible, just highly unlikely to my ears. I've listened to the Triton 2's and 7's a couple of times now and would say that the Contour 5.4's that I used to own outgun them both, no surprise there. It would be fair to say that they punch above they're price point, I'd say the farthest they'd reach would be the $5k price point. Some compromises are made to get them to have a sound that would seem to be above the msrp, mainly the aesthetics, which really aren't that great. The plastic cap that holds the sock up is really cheap and comes off very easily and the plastic bases are another cheap plastic area.



I also wouldn't consider the powered section as "subwoofers", more like powered woofers really. Small difference I know but one that might be important to some people. They didn't seem to hit as hard as the two eight inch woofers in the 5.4's but were slightly better than the two 8 inch woofers in my current Monitor Audio Silver 10's. The tweeter is very nice and open and the speakers have a good sense of scale along with all the drivers being very well integrated together. I could see the tweeters getting a little bright with poor source material but not over the top brightness.



The Triton 7's were somewhat unimpressive to me, the passive radiator seemed to be easily over driven. The setup at the dealer consisted of the Nad 375Bee and Nad cdp, don't remember the exact model. They did sound pretty good if you weren't expecting much low end response. I listened to a couple of Lindsey Stirling tracks and the 7's gave out pretty easily on the bass lines.



I'm looking forward to checking out the Triton 1's when Golden Ear finally gets their shipping delays dealt with. Although I am strongly considering the Contour 3.4 LE's as well. The Triton's are a good value speaker if you value sq over looks, if your looking for a combination of both look elsewhere.

How do you like you MA 10s? Are they your first MAs?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
ambesolman is online now  
post #23095 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
How do you like you MA 10s? Are they your first MAs?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
They're pretty good and yes it's my first MA setup. The 10's are extending down to they're rated spec in my room of 30hz measured with the Omni Mic, so one doesn't necessarily need a sub for music, they do pretty well on their own. For movies I'm crossing them over at 50hz to a SubM HP and they have the output to keep up and blend with the sub very nicely.

My one complaint is they don't image vertically all that well. Horizontally they are very good, imaging between and also outside the speakers is spot on. I guess with the vertical thing I got spoiled with the Contour 5.4's as that was one of the things I immediately noticed, the Triton 2's were also better in this regard. The other thing that took some getting used to was the orientation of the woofers provides a different feel, with the woofers higher up in the cabinet of the 5.4's the bass energy was felt more in your chest, ears and head. Where as the MA's it's more of a butt shake. Not a bad thing, just different.

The closest speakers I've owned that I could compare the Silver 10's to is the Paradigm Studio 100 v5's, can't say which is a better speaker unless I heard them in the same room but I think it'd be a really good battle between the two.
weird 23 is online now  
post #23096 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Nice to see this thread alive. Thought it died.

But I want to go OT: Has anyone demoed GoldenEar by chance? How good/bad are they?
And then I came back

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #23097 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post
They're pretty good and yes it's my first MA setup. The 10's are extending down to they're rated spec in my room of 30hz measured with the Omni Mic, so one doesn't necessarily need a sub for music, they do pretty well on their own. For movies I'm crossing them over at 50hz to a SubM HP and they have the output to keep up and blend with the sub very nicely.



My one complaint is they don't image vertically all that well. Horizontally they are very good, imaging between and also outside the speakers is spot on. I guess with the vertical thing I got spoiled with the Contour 5.4's as that was one of the things I immediately noticed, the Triton 2's were also better in this regard. The other thing that took some getting used to was the orientation of the woofers provides a different feel, with the woofers higher up in the cabinet of the 5.4's the bass energy was felt more in your chest, ears and head. Where as the MA's it's more of a butt shake. Not a bad thing, just different.



The closest speakers I've owned that I could compare the Silver 10's to is the Paradigm Studio 100 v5's, can't say which is a better speaker unless I heard them in the same room but I think it'd be a really good battle between the two.

Can you elaborate a little on vertical imaging? I'm not familiar with that, horizontal I get.


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
ambesolman is online now  
post #23098 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Can you elaborate a little on vertical imaging? I'm not familiar with that, horizontal I get.


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
I'm probably using the wrong term by describing it as vertical imaging. What I mean by that is the Contour 5.4's projected a wall of sound into my room, from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. The MA's get the wall to wall imaging but the wall only extends as high as the speaker height. They don't give me as much of a sense of height. When listening to the Triton 2's I also got the sense of sound above the speakers, although in the dealers showroom they couldn't extend the sound stage up as high as the 5.4's could in my own room.

Not sure if this is the clarification your looking for but that's what the differences sound like to my ears.
weird 23 is online now  
post #23099 of 23100 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post
I'm probably using the wrong term by describing it as vertical imaging. What I mean by that is the Contour 5.4's projected a wall of sound into my room, from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. The MA's get the wall to wall imaging but the wall only extends as high as the speaker height. They don't give me as much of a sense of height. When listening to the Triton 2's I also got the sense of sound above the speakers, although in the dealers showroom they couldn't extend the sound stage up as high as the 5.4's could in my own room.



Not sure if this is the clarification your looking for but that's what the differences sound like to my ears.

Make sense. I was wondering because I have RX8s. They don't image to the ceiling but they image higher than the speaker, though only a couple of feet. The GX line imaged well above the cabinet. May be due to the ribbon tweeter, I liked them a lot. Could be room related, who knows. How many hours do you have on them? I was told the RX line took quite a while to break in. I bought my LCR from a fellow AVS member (for a steal), so they were already past that point.
I'd agree with your comparison to the studio 100s though. The 100s had more low end than the rx8, but not by much. To me, the only thing I wasn't crazy about was the studio's tweeter was a little bright. The rx8s don't have that problem, it's just right for me. The Dyn x36 was my favorite of the three. It had the same great mids and highs as the RX8s, but the authoritative low end of the 100s. They would've been my choice had I not gotten the LCR for half the price of the other two.
Looks wise, I have to give it to the 100s. I love the mix of the wood and metals, just a beautiful speaker. I love a wood grain, but the x36 had that grey front baffle I wasn't crazy about. The new xcites look more like the focus line...a good thing.
Whenever I upgrade, if I don't go for something like the Danley SH50 (astonishing sound!), these three will still be at the top of my list for auditioning.


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
ambesolman is online now  
post #23100 of 23100 Old Today, 02:24 PM
Member
 
lmf22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Contour S3.4 spikes size

Does anyone know the size of the spikes for the Contour S3.4? I want to upgrade the standard spikes on my speakers to the Track Audio spikes (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-58810-t...er-spikes.aspx).
The available sizes are M6, M8, M10, 1/4"-20, and 3/8"-16.
lmf22 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off