Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #23161 of 23178 Old 09-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If anyone in the DC Metro Area is looking for a deal on demo/dealer pair of Focus 380s, contact JS Audio in Bethesda, MD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23162 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqoverall View Post
If the majority of what you listen to is CD's, then why are you focusing so much on equipment that will play the higher bit rate HD files you may download every once and a while online?

You could probably be happy streaming your music (lossless) to an Airport Express via iTunes and running digitally to your DAC/Pre-Amp.

That is another thing; why are people still using external DAC's? Did you not buy the pre-amp that you thought sounded great in the first place? Most high level electronics these days are using great DAC's and pre-amp circuitry.
I am in pursuit of the best sound possible, which I was believing was cd and sacd, but am now open to hi rez files. Would streaming music be hi rez?
post #23163 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Dynaudio has a Focus XD teaser page up now...
http://dynaudio.com/focusxd/?v=1
post #23164 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL#1 View Post
I am in pursuit of the best sound possible, which I was believing was cd and sacd, but am now open to hi rez files. Would streaming music be hi rez?
Hi Rez is another format. It has a lower output because there is a lot less compression in the recording.Much more dynamic sounding relieving greater detail. It's my favorite format whether I stream it or play it direct from my Nas or usb drive. I have both a music server and a Nas for backup and/or downloads
post #23165 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
OctaDyn_Dud: What are you using for a Music Server? Its funny as most Stores where pushing Computerized playback and using a good dac and software like Pure Music and JRiver etc.. Now since CD have taken a huge back seat all of these manufactures are re-inventing what they call computer less playback on a device that specifically plays back hi rez field DSD etc.. Reason I find it funny is even last year a local dealer was trying to talk me into a computer Dac and do my listening through my Mac etc... and now he thinks it's a horrible idea. 3 other places I go to are now pushing the Network device that does everything but is not a computer.

GT: Yeah, I been holding off buying the Focus 160s as I want to see what shakes down with the Contour LE and or Focus XD models.
post #23166 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
OctaDyn_Dud: What are you using for a Music Server? Its funny as most Stores where pushing Computerized playback and using a good dac and software like Pure Music and JRiver etc.. Now since CD have taken a huge back seat all of these manufactures are re-inventing what they call computer less playback on a device that specifically plays back hi rez field DSD etc.. Reason I find it funny is even last year a local dealer was trying to talk me into a computer Dac and do my listening through my Mac etc... and now he thinks it's a horrible idea. 3 other places I go to are now pushing the Network device that does everything but is not a computer.

GT: Yeah, I been holding off buying the Focus 160s as I want to see what shakes down with the Contour LE and or Focus XD models.
I am wondering what you are using as a server too, OctaDyn_Dude. I was at a local dealer today,who sells Naim and EMM Labs/Meitner, trying to make sense of the technology and they only had a Naim Unitiserve, as a server. Still need a Dac. They had a streamer as well, and of course, Dac's. I am still a bit confused about how to go about building a computer file based music system.
It seems to me like cd players and cds are still relevant and a viable option, although, who knows for how much longer.
post #23167 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm using a Naim Unitiserve 2TB with a Naim Dac and xp5xs external power supply. I have a Lenovo Nas. The Unitiserve will stream from either the internet or from a Nas
post #23168 of 23178 Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL#1 View Post
I am wondering what you are using as a server too, OctaDyn_Dude. I was at a local dealer today,who sells Naim and EMM Labs/Meitner, trying to make sense of the technology and they only had a Naim Unitiserve, as a server. Still need a Dac. They had a streamer as well, and of course, Dac's. I am still a bit confused about how to go about building a computer file based music system.
It seems to me like cd players and cds are still relevant and a viable option, although, who knows for how much longer.
LSL#1: You bring up a good point, how much longer will CDs be a viable option. What gets my goat I just ordered a CD online from one of the people Jaxwired turned me onto and I ordered a CD from her I have yet to get it (2 weeks now), I don't want the ****** download from iTunes and she hasn't made it big enough yet to be putting out Hi Rez files, but with her voice she eventually will. I am going to try a new device by Marantz as I heard one of the NA8005 and the new Bryston BDP-1 and 2 and didn't hear a lick of difference between the two, the Marantz even came with a on board dac which was decent. I am building a Mac Mini server and might try the Marantz out as well, much less expensive then some of the higher end pieces, which I like but this is a unknown field still and I don't want to get stuck with a 5K unit that might have limitations very quickly the way this landscape is changing.
post #23169 of 23178 Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

This article from an Austrian source indicates that three models will be released: XD 200 (Focus 160 based), XD 400 (260 based), and XD 600 (380 based). The speakers will feature a Class D amp but won't be wireless. They will also feature room-correcting technology, perhaps DDC from the Confidence line.

Key selling points:
・High-resolution digital active loudspeaker
・The ultimate high-end system: a digital audio source and Focus XD
・Direct power: state-of-the-art amplifiers for each driver
・Direct digital advanced digital amplification and crossover
・Native 24/192 signal from source to speaker

I wonder where these will fit in regards to pricing. The Xeo3 cost some 66% more than its X12 counterpart and the Xeo5 some 25% more than its X32 counterpart. My guess is they will be priced between the Contour S1.4 and S5.4 speakers, so $4000 for the XD 200, $6000 for the XD 400, and $10,500 for the XD 600.
post #23170 of 23178 Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
The speakers will feature a Class D amp.....

Bad choice Dynaudio.....bad choice. I have yet to hear a class D amp that compares to the best A/B.....car or home audio. I have owned almost all that are considered "high end" too.

The Xeo speakers state 50 watt to tweeter and 50 watt to mid woofer (100 watt total)......why do you need the SMALL efficiency increase of a class D?
post #23171 of 23178 Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

sqoverall: I am in 100% agreement you on your post! Now for Home Theater it isn't that big of a deal as there is so much going on in a sound track to nitpick. But when it comes to music there are very few Class D Amps I like. I have tried a ton of them the B&O stuff is ok, but for music it's a Class A A/B and some decent Hybrids but not a fan of ICE Amps or Class D Amps for music. So this Focus line is a no go for me, especially when Dynaudio touts using better Amps for their speakers. State of the Art, hmmmm Some B&O Class D Amps most likely.

On another note, I have decided to use the Mac Mini as a music server not new to some of your and thanks to all of you for some good input. Right now I am trying out the new Marantz NA8005 Network Player, I heard the Bryston the NAD M50 and a few others but too me I don't want to pay a crapload for a crappy interface and so far most of the interfaces haven't been all that great for gear costing $2500-$3500 bucks. Right now don't want to dish out that much in the unstable world of computer audio and audio playback. We did get a new Magnolia design store, which was pretty impressive with the B&W 802 and they will be carrying Arcam/Pioneer Elite/Denon/Marantz and some higher end projectors etc.. I was floored on how well the place was being designed, officially opens on Friday. Now I just wish they would get Dynaudio!

Last edited by Garman; 09-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.
post #23172 of 23178 Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqoverall View Post
Bad choice Dynaudio.....bad choice. I have yet to hear a class D amp that compares to the best A/B.....car or home audio. I have owned almost all that are considered "high end" too.

The Xeo speakers state 50 watt to tweeter and 50 watt to mid woofer (100 watt total)......why do you need the SMALL efficiency increase of a class D?
Quote:
sqoverall: I am in 100% agreement you on your post! Now for Home Theater it isn't that big of a deal as there is so much going on in a sound track to nitpick. But when it comes to music there are very few Class D Amps I like. I have tried a ton of them the B&O stuff is ok, but for music it's a Class A A/B and some decent Hybrids but not a fan of ICE Amps or Class D Amps for music.

Before Tuesday...I would have mostly agreed with you. And then my ARC DS-450 arrived!

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #23173 of 23178 Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Before Tuesday...I would have mostly agreed with you. And then my ARC DS-450 arrived!
The ARC is very good, and yes I have heard it at my local store, but they had it hooked up to a tube pre/amp, not bad at all. But straight Class D Amps just seem lifeless to me, unless of course you put a very nice Tube Stage into the mix like this Amp! I have owned ARC products before in the LS series and I have always liked them but have preferred a few other Amps over them.

On another note what playback type of system do you use for music?

Last edited by Garman; 09-11-2014 at 03:08 PM.
post #23174 of 23178 Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The ARC is very good, and yes I have heard it at my local store, but they had it hooked up to a tube pre/amp, not bad at all. But straight Class D Amps just seem lifeless to me, unless of course you put a very nice Tube Stage into the mix like this Amp! I have owned ARC products before in the LS series and I have always liked them but have preferred a few other Amps over them.

On another note what playback type of system do you use for music?
They sound unnatural to me....even the best of them. You have to realize that all class D amplifiers contain a passive filter to filter out the switching noise. The waveform is messed with so much on top of that, they always sound like something is missing, IMO.

On top of that, their SMALL advantages aren't really beneficial at this point. In vehicles, they have an advantage in size. In the home, are most of us having a hard time finding another few inches of space for an A/B design? Or even a minute savings in our electric bills?

God knows....I wait for the day when a proper class D design can make me smile. Until then, I'll be happy with tried and true.
post #23175 of 23178 Old 09-11-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
LSL#1: You bring up a good point, how much longer will CDs be a viable option. What gets my goat I just ordered a CD online from one of the people Jaxwired turned me onto and I ordered a CD from her I have yet to get it (2 weeks now), I don't want the ****** download from iTunes and she hasn't made it big enough yet to be putting out Hi Rez files, but with her voice she eventually will. I am going to try a new device by Marantz as I heard one of the NA8005 and the new Bryston BDP-1 and 2 and didn't hear a lick of difference between the two, the Marantz even came with a on board dac which was decent. I am building a Mac Mini server and might try the Marantz out as well, much less expensive then some of the higher end pieces, which I like but this is a unknown field still and I don't want to get stuck with a 5K unit that might have limitations very quickly the way this landscape is changing.
Which Marantz device are you getting? Let us know how things go.
I have just agreed to purchase a Meitner MA-1. I am fairly unknowledgeable about dacs but am hoping that it will give me both great cd sound from my cd player, as well as allow me to play downloaded hi rez files once I get an audio only computer or a digital player like Bryston's bdp 2. The difference, from what I have read, between the bdp 1 and 2 is only with the speed of file loading as well as greater file capacity.
post #23176 of 23178 Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

sqoverall: Pioneer was using B&O ICE Amps in there receivers for awhile and of course one of the huge advantages that I am sure you know about is heat, Class D Amps don't give off much heat and with all that other Digital gear in there that does produce heat it comes in handy, the Pioneer I had was great on Home Theater playback but not so good on music. I ended up switching to a Marantz Receiver and most likely will upgrade to another Marantz once I jump in the 4K pond, which won't be that soon!

LSL#1: I am going to try out the NA8005 Network Player by Marantz I will use it in my main system for now and when these get more stable in the downloading HiRez world (If that ever happens!!) then I will move this in with my 8004 Int, Amp that is in my office. I heard good things about the Meitner and I just recently heard both Bryston units along with the new NAD M50, both nice but for how much your spending lacking in certain areas. The Marantz has a decent Dac, does just about every HiRez file and I think you can using it for a pre/amp as well.
post #23177 of 23178 Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Id like the Naim ND5 XS, Naim was really at the forefront of the streamer the HDX is like 7 yrs since intro, the NDX is like 4-5 yrs, and the ND5 XS is a couple years old. Now it seems like everyone is getting into them.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #23178 of 23178 Old Today, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

callas: just please buy these for the sake of doing an in-home demo...
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...wrenceville-ga
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page