Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Rob,

Let's only hope.
But we need not worry as we already have the best monitor they've produced.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23462 of 23469 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey Fellas,

My every three month check-in

Wow China? It will be a matter of time until cabinets are made in China and assembled in Denmark? Writing on the wall I guess.

Maybe some capital will help. Look fellas, I love Dynaudio and had to sell off once but came back when I could albeit from C1s to Focus 340s-used.

But in my opinion things must have been tight for awhile. Contour and up as great as they sound especially Confidence requires new clothes. It's well past time. I love the Danish look but you can't keep doing a mild part refresh. As much as I love Confidence it's time for a replacement line. The Contour LE should become standard across the line and serve as a close to Confidence performance line and Confidence should be replaced with a hot new look and a cutting edge next gen tweeter/drivers.

The sound is second to none across the lines but the clothes need to be taken to the dry cleaners and refreshed. My opinion only.

I really am liking my 340s boy but still have not bought the Center. I just can't seem to wrap my arms around the 210c. Still debating SCX or even more so a return to C1s and SCX center. I must be the only guy on the planet where the center dictates what I buy. Ugh. Blu-Ray concerts rule my world.

Been to the Dynaudio site 20 times the past few days. Still confused on direction.

Maybe some cash infusion will introduce some great stuff. My Classe SSP-800 assembled in China- yikes and guess what, three years and not a single issue. Not one.

We will see how this plays out.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; Yesterday at 07:43 PM.
post #23463 of 23469 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
This Chinese guy was so enamored with the company, he bought it. He couldn't believe how efficient the production was. He wants everything to remain the same. He wants production and R&D to remain in Denmark.
Very romantic; but wait until the first audit

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #23464 of 23469 Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqoverall View Post
Who cares what Mick says. It's all politics. Do you think he would ever say something different? He works for the company.

Sorry....if you own 15%, you are no longer the man. Not even close.

This has happened to tons of American companies as well and even when they are producing flat out crap and running a great reputation into the ground, they will tell you quality hasn't changed.
SQ,

You don't know Mick.
You have little understanding of how Dyn actually works.
I don't post much anymore because of people like you. What the F**k do you know. Oh sorry, you know everything.
It's late at night for me. If you have rebuttals, I will address those in the AM.
Be careful though, as other people have found out, I love a good fight.

Aaron, SQ above all, (In your face)
brickyardz likes this.
post #23465 of 23469 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Hey guys,

Cool it about a Chinese concern buying Dynaudio.

I just got a call from Mick Tillman(Dynalunatic). I didn't know that this transaction had happened until he told me about it until about an hour ago.

This Chinese guy was so enamored with the company, he bought it. He couldn't believe how efficient the production was. He wants everything to remain the same. He wants production and R&D to remain in Denmark.

Even though Dyn has done well through this world-wide recession, this is an infusion of capital to do even better things. I Hope.

Borderdog

Thanks for putting things in perspective, as the initial shock of a company that touted for years being a Danish company and everything being made in Denmark which is rare these days. I hope your right.......

Mr. SoftDome: You should have anything wrong with Classe products even though they are built in China, many companies do this and it works as they have to be built via the specs that is. But when fake products start being made and they are on a regular basis things start to get way out of hand.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19742...erfeiting.html <<<<<<< Pretty funny as there were 22 fake Apple stores in China at one time. LOL

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.
post #23466 of 23469 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Focus 340 Opinions

Hey All, noob to this forum, and looking for some opinions.

I've had a pair of Focus 110A's for a few years now and have loved them from day 1, but my system has gradually migrated from a desktop setup to a large listening room (25' x 32') and I'm thinking it's time to go super gangster with some floor standers.

Today I demoed these speakers at a local dealer: X34, Focus 260, Focus 340, Confidence C2. Originally, I went in most interested in the X34 (mainly due to the price point), but I came away unimpressed with the X34's. They were ok, but sounded smaller and less "full-bodied" than my 110A's. Next, I listened to the 260's. These sounded more similar to the 110A's, but with a slightly bigger sound and lower end. Then I listened to the 340's and within 30 seconds I was in love. They had a classic fuller tone, but still really detailed, and they really stood out as the sound that appeals to me. I threw 2 full CD's of rock, jazz, vocals, etc. at them and the 340's handled everything well. After the 340's, I gave the C2's a brief spin, even though they are price prohibitive. The C2's certainly had the most detailed, articulate sound. I could see where audiophiles would value their accurate and neutral reproduction, but I found myself going back to the 340's.

So my questions..
I would need to get a decent amp to power them, but how much power do the 340's really need to stand out? I was listening to them on a $10K Bryston amp that obviously had gorilla balls of power, but I can't swing that for an amp. The dealer was recommending a good amount of power with some NAD integrated amp options, including the 390DD, and the 375BEE, and as a cost compromise as 356BEE. I'm not familiar with NAD at all. Other amp suggestions?

How do the 340's perform with tubes in the input stage? I've been running my 110A's off a Schiit Valhalla tube preamp and it sounds good, and with minimal tube coloration from the Valhalla. I've been drooling over the gorgeous Decware tube amps for a while now, but I don't want to compromise optimal speaker performance for some pretty glowing tubes.

After the 340's, I went back and gave the 260's another listen. I could probably be happy with those, because I think they would sound bigger and more 340-like in my larger listening room and with more power, than the smallish room I demoed them in. So that would be my cost compromise option, if I need to spend major coin on amplification. But man...those 340's...
post #23467 of 23469 Old Today, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Boozer46: I have the C2 (Originals) and still love their sound, the newer Focus line is very good and I think you would be extremely happy with any of them, there are a few on here that have had both the 160 and 260 so I am sure they will chime in. If your looking at good Amp/Int. Amp etc.. Look at the newer NAD Master series is some pretty sweet stuff but the new 390DD has gotten rave reviews as well. Naim/Musical Fidelity are a few others that mate well with Dynaudio. Always put speaker first/room acoustics and then equipment, decent Amplification is well needed... NAD Newer Master Series is getting some rave reviews lately but I have had good luck with Musical Fidelity as I am sure others will have suggestions.
post #23468 of 23469 Old Today, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Forget about the drivers, its the Danish wood workings that got me hooked.
Rob as nice as the Dynaudio cabinets are they could be better. I say that because as you know I had the C1 Sig's. After upgrading to the Raidho D1's in Walnut I have to say the Raidho have much less 'orange peel' in the clear coat along with a smoother finish. Turns out Raidho cabinets are made in China. I met Lars Kristensen after the RMAF and he explained that certain chemicals have been outlawed in Denmark and they moved the cabinet making to China where the chemicals are OK to use. That said he also mentioned they found some very skilled craftsmen to make their cabinets at a much lower labor rate. All else is made and assembled in Denmark.

All I can say is this move could help keep costs in check and bring higher quality finish in the cabinets.
post #23469 of 23469 Old Today, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Hey All, noob to this forum, and looking for some opinions.

I've had a pair of Focus 110A's for a few years now and have loved them from day 1, but my system has gradually migrated from a desktop setup to a large listening room (25' x 32') and I'm thinking it's time to go super gangster with some floor standers.

Today I demoed these speakers at a local dealer: X34, Focus 260, Focus 340, Confidence C2. Originally, I went in most interested in the X34 (mainly due to the price point), but I came away unimpressed with the X34's. They were ok, but sounded smaller and less "full-bodied" than my 110A's. Next, I listened to the 260's. These sounded more similar to the 110A's, but with a slightly bigger sound and lower end. Then I listened to the 340's and within 30 seconds I was in love. They had a classic fuller tone, but still really detailed, and they really stood out as the sound that appeals to me. I threw 2 full CD's of rock, jazz, vocals, etc. at them and the 340's handled everything well. After the 340's, I gave the C2's a brief spin, even though they are price prohibitive. The C2's certainly had the most detailed, articulate sound. I could see where audiophiles would value their accurate and neutral reproduction, but I found myself going back to the 340's.

So my questions..
I would need to get a decent amp to power them, but how much power do the 340's really need to stand out? I was listening to them on a $10K Bryston amp that obviously had gorilla balls of power, but I can't swing that for an amp. The dealer was recommending a good amount of power with some NAD integrated amp options, including the 390DD, and the 375BEE, and as a cost compromise as 356BEE. I'm not familiar with NAD at all. Other amp suggestions?

How do the 340's perform with tubes in the input stage? I've been running my 110A's off a Schiit Valhalla tube preamp and it sounds good, and with minimal tube coloration from the Valhalla. I've been drooling over the gorgeous Decware tube amps for a while now, but I don't want to compromise optimal speaker performance for some pretty glowing tubes.

After the 340's, I went back and gave the 260's another listen. I could probably be happy with those, because I think they would sound bigger and more 340-like in my larger listening room and with more power, than the smallish room I demoed them in. So that would be my cost compromise option, if I need to spend major coin on amplification. But man...those 340's...
I'd go back to the dealer and have him put the 260s in the same room/setup as the 340s and listen again for giggles. $2600 price difference may or may not be a lot to you.

As for "cheaper" amplification, go get out the Wyred4Sound ST-1000 MkII for $2K. You could then like add a NAIM NAC 202/252/282 pre to this amp and still come out less than the Bryston IMO. Just an idea. Or find a Bryston Pre.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List