Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 789 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #23641 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's actually a fairly large bedroom, but the problem is there's no parallel walls, that corner is the only 90 degree angle in the room, so I can put speakers against one of the long wall, but theres no place to listen from if you get my drift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23642 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know how much the new XD 200/400/600 is going to retail for? I saw speculation in a few threads here suggesting $13-14k range, but I was told ~$20k today, which seems quite ridiculous.
post #23643 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Does anyone know how much the new XD 200/400/600 is going to retail for? I saw speculation in a few threads here suggesting $13-14k range, but I was told ~$20k today, which seems quite ridiculous.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudi...dspeaker-range

What HiFi had the prices in pounds and if you do the conversion it is like this!

200XD = $7200

400XD = $11500

600XD = $14300

Roughly if that pricing is accurate. They been getting fantastic reviews so far.....

Guys some good information here, I guess AudioShark is the place to be.

http://audioshark.org/dynaudio-speak...l#.VFHWab6_fxY

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 11:13 PM.
post #23644 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingBean92 View Post
It's actually a fairly large bedroom, but the problem is there's no parallel walls, that corner is the only 90 degree angle in the room, so I can put speakers against one of the long wall, but theres no place to listen from if you get my drift.
Jumping Bean, I recently auditioned the X34, 260, and 340 myself. I fell in love with the 340, it had a really full-bodied sound, but they might need more power to realize full potential than you have on-hand. I didn't care all that much for the X34. It just sounded like a small speaker that didn't stand out significantly against other similar sized but cheaper floorstanders out there, if that makes sense. The 260 sounded great, nice tonal balance, and would probably do well in your listening room and available power. I think the 260 would be a great compromise if you don't want to swing for the 340's.
post #23645 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudi...dspeaker-range

What HiFi had the prices in pounds and if you do the conversion it is like this!

200XD = $7200

400XD = $11500

600XD = $14300

Roughly if that pricing is accurate.
Ok thanks. I'm intrigued by the feature set on these, and I'm sure they'll be great, but I still think that pricing seems way out of line.
sqoverall likes this.
post #23646 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What do you guys think of the finish on these guys? Was doing more net search. The monitor looks pretty substantial. I hope I can get it against the C1 to compare.

Looks alone I am really digging these. Good pictures. That finish is awesome. This is where I will be auditioning Saturday. New location.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/0...kef-reference/

Rick

post #23647 of 23664 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
What do you guys think of the finish on these guys? Was doing more net search. The monitor looks pretty substantial. I hope I can get it against the C1 to compare.

Looks alone I am really digging these. Good pictures. That finish is awesome. This is where I will be auditioning Saturday. New location.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/0...kef-reference/

Rick
Rick,

I would throw the KEF Reference into the mix, they make a very nice speaker these days. One of the big 3 in England that got bought from the Chinese as well, I just wish they would start making more of their own stuff instead of buying up everything. lol Looks like a cool place.
post #23648 of 23664 Old Today, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Garman, I know this. Really I do. This is why I keep coming back. I owned the original Focus 220, 200c and 110. I moved to C1 and Confidence Center (heaven). Emergency sale and now Focus 340. I have done my best to support Dynaudio. Their sound is second to none. But after all of this and many years I am back to C1 as a contender again. After these years there has been not one new introduction Contour and above in new lines. I have had the C1s. In piano black. I want a new look in my super model. Does that make sense? And maybe an Esotar 3 (which might leave all wonder aside).

I don't think there is anything wrong in my logic. C1 MKII is on tap Saturday. Maybe I will return. I think my thoughts are valid and just sharing. I love the look but been there done that. If they blow the others away so be it. I will buy them.

Rick
Rick the differences I found from upgrading from the original C1's to the MKII/Signature was the new ones sounded clearer at lower levels but didn't go quite as loud. With the originals the louder you played them the better they sounded. As far as the C1 Platinum I understand that was purely a cosmetic change. For me the upgrade to the Signatures fit my personal taste more because I prefer to listen at lower levels.
post #23649 of 23664 Old Today, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The "focus" XD sure do look like they're based on the excite line.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #23650 of 23664 Old Today, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

OctaDyn_Dude: I was waiting to see that one again. LOL I hope you guys had your sound meter out when you did that comparison test. JK!
post #23651 of 23664 Old Today, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Jumping Bean, I recently auditioned the X34, 260, and 340 myself. I fell in love with the 340, it had a really full-bodied sound, but they might need more power to realize full potential than you have on-hand. I didn't care all that much for the X34. It just sounded like a small speaker that didn't stand out significantly against other similar sized but cheaper floorstanders out there, if that makes sense. The 260 sounded great, nice tonal balance, and would probably do well in your listening room and available power. I think the 260 would be a great compromise if you don't want to swing for the 340's.
What's funny is that the dealer was powering the 340's with a 30~ wpc line magnetic tube amp and they sounded very full and dynamic. Is there some huge factor I'm missing that would allow the 340 to play nice with a 30wpc tube amp and not a 150wpc solid state amp? I know tube's don't have clipping but still...
post #23652 of 23664 Old Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
sqoverall: Too funny you give Jaxwired s h i t about YouTube and you post one here! LOL At Cool speaker running by some decent Car Amps. ..............
Guys, forgive me for my ignorance but I see there is a plethora, 100s if not 1000s of Youtube videos on folk’s audio systems, from speakers, amps turntables etc….and the viewers commenting on how fabulous they sound.
Question…when auditioning audio equipment on line should I just rely on my computer speakers or a good set of headphones before making a purchasing decision?
Also is it best to play the youtube video in the designated room that will host the new equipment?

Obviously I’m being sarcastic here, but seriously I don’t get it. Yes some “look” great, but how do they sound......... as there are a lot of comments following the videos.... “ great sounding system”.. “amazing mid-range” ,“that bass is to die for” ???…I’m still scratching my head.
Maybe I need another coffee?
sqoverall likes this.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #23653 of 23664 Old Today, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OctaDyn_Dude: I was waiting to see that one again. LOL I hope you guys had your sound meter out when you did that comparison test. JK!
No sound meter but used the volume control level.
post #23654 of 23664 Old Today, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingBean92 View Post
What's funny is that the dealer was powering the 340's with a 30~ wpc line magnetic tube amp and they sounded very full and dynamic. Is there some huge factor I'm missing that would allow the 340 to play nice with a 30wpc tube amp and not a 150wpc solid state amp? I know tube's don't have clipping but still..
Tubes do clip - just differently. It has more to do with the even and odd harmonics.
post #23655 of 23664 Old Today, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Guys, forgive me for my ignorance but I see there is a plethora, 100s if not 1000s of Youtube videos on folk’s audio systems, from speakers, amps turntables etc….and the viewers commenting on how fabulous they sound.
Question…when auditioning audio equipment on line should I just rely on my computer speakers or a good set of headphones before making a purchasing decision?
Also is it best to play the youtube video in the designated room that will host the new equipment?

Obviously I’m being sarcastic here, but seriously I don’t get it. Yes some “look” great, but how do they sound......... as there are a lot of comments following the videos.... “ great sounding system”.. “amazing mid-range” ,“that bass is to die for” ???…I’m still scratching my head.
Maybe I need another coffee?
I would never use a YouTube video for any accurate sound quality, maybe to get the looks of them, but never on accurate sound quality, don't take our word for it in here everyone hears some thing differently. Listen to them at a dealer or listen to them at some ones home, you can comment all you want on accuracy, clarity and bass to die for usually it some one selling some thing, which is fine but always listen in person. I think the YouTube videos are good for sparking interest, but I would never go buy one off of some ones review. Example, I read a review on the LS50 they sounded the the bomb online, but I wanted to hear them in person. Perception plays a role of course, I usually like it when a dealer leaves me alone with some of my music in a room without them barking out preceptive thoughts! Expresso for me!
post #23656 of 23664 Old Today, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
And then last but not least: the 260s. The cheapest of the bunch. I was somehow preparing myself to be disappointed. I was wrong. My goodness. The 260s easily bested the other two in terms of filling that spectrum of sound. The bass was there in spades, much more so than either the D7 and especially the 23. The high-end clarity and smoothness and openness certainly bested the other two. Though the mids were not quite as rich as the PMCs. Otherwise, I walked away re-affirmed by my decision. The 260 simply offered the entire package.
Wow, is this audition right in my wheelhouse GTA! The Spendor Ds, are reported to not be your "Dad's Spendors"; in other words...they're supposed to have more a$$ to them The D7 has been getting good pub...and I'd love to try some D1s myself.

Not to sound like a PMC fan-boy (though I am, lol); but you might make an argument, that mid-range is the most-important "section"...to get right? Most of us don't want to admit it...golden ears and all; but how many hear 20-20k anymore (please...that's a rhetorical question; I don't need to see your last audiologist results). I'm not going out on a limb, to say...most "music", is in the middle somewhere.

Now, that being said...I'm not an idiot; I understand how high and low FR, affect the mid. In fact...my own journey, with Dyn, PMC, Spendor (as well as KEF, and Harbeth...thrown in for good measure)...has shown a light on it. This is just my opinion; and this is an oldie, but goodie...I am no scientist, nor electrical engineer. But what my ears, and experience tell me is...I don't think most people, are really hearing much information in the 20-50 range. I think what we perceive to be heavy, or solid...or good bass; is really more mid-bass. In fact...if I'm being honest; I don't always understand, some of the published graphs and measurements, from like Stereophile. But I do know they often speak of a mid-bass hump...especially in smaller speakers, trying to achieve more bass than they could "naturally".

And that's fine; but there is no question in my mind...and again, based on my pretty substantial experiences. That (mid) bass...smears the mids! Especially in a 2-way design, where you have no dedicated mid-driver. If you think about it...how could it not? So I think some speakers...and yes, PMC and many of the Brits...which is where I now lay my head; by design...do not accentuate mid-bass. So they seem, bass-shy; but they're really not.

Case in point; GTA...I'm sure you'd be surprised to find, the 20-23 is rated down to 29Hz...the 260 32Hz. Don't get me wrong...I know, they don't sound it. I have FACT 3s. If you were to ask me what I think of them...part of my summary would be to call them a little bass-light. The measured FR is down to 35; that plenty deep, for a stand-mount (the Focus 160, is 44 by comparison). Again...did I mention I'm no engineer? But just as your arm-chair audiophile...it seems to me, as if the PMCs are just much, much "cleaner"; in the bass and mid-bass. This keeps them from "smearing" the all-important frequencies above them; and are, as such...the most resolving speakers...I have ever laid ears on

Now...if you're going to take that approach and design-philosophy; don't go heavy-handed on the lows...accentuate the middle. You don't exactly want a "hot" top-end either, right? How would that sound...light bass, "hot" top-end?

So I think what you heard, from these 3 fine speakers; is spot on...and is typical, of the trade-offs we have to make. There is no perfect speaker. Almost by definition and physics...if it Rocks, it's got to suffer somewhere else; really great in the Mids...probably doesn't Rock hard. I don't think of it in terms of "better"/"worse"; different strokes, and all that.

Nice review; thanks for posting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Dyn is no more stale than PCM, Focal, Legacy, etc., etc.

Currently, I think the most progress has been in headphones and ear-buds.
I do not know, this "PCM" you speak of

If you mean PMC...they've introduced 2 new lines; the Twenty and FACT, in...I would say...the last 5 years. Spendor have the aforementioned Ds; and let's not even mention KEF.

It's probably a good thing, you think the innovation to be had these days...is in headphones; 'cuz that's where Dyn is headed. J/K

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato

Last edited by CDLehner; Today at 06:31 AM.
post #23657 of 23664 Old Today, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
No sound meter but used the volume control level.
That could have been one of those perceived moments! I used volume control and SPL meter and it didn't move much, the C1 (original) was much more broke in though. The only accurate way to do this kind of test is pull both them out of the box new and have at it. I just recently did this with the LS50 but again raw test as the best way to do this (In my environment) would have some books stacked at my ear level. I have seen many that preferred the originals over the C1 MKII, some times it's difficult to better a great product in my mind, but you know they are going to try. With me I took one look at the Moca and was hooked just by the newer finishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	340161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1165.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	340169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	340177  

Last edited by Garman; Today at 06:31 AM.
post #23658 of 23664 Old Today, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
1 vote for the Focus 260.
+1

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #23659 of 23664 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
CDL: Even after sleeping on it, I think my summation (to me) is accurate. The performance of the 260s was simply sublime from top-to-bottom but the performance of the 23s in the mids was also sublime. In the end, I can't say I am intrigued at all by additional Spendor models but if my "ship ever comes in" as they say, I would like to audition the Twenty.24 ($7K), 26 ($11K), or by that point simply jump to the Fact.8 ($12k).

I think for a PMC to begin checking as many boxes as the 260s, I would have to jump to north of $7K in price. But if I do that, I'd have to definitely bring the 340s/380s into the picture as well.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #23660 of 23664 Old Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
The "focus" XD sure do look like they're based on the excite line.
They are not. The XD cabinets are angled (focused) whereas the Excite cabinets are not.

In addition to one 150w amp per driver, DSP processors, and the IR sensor/volume display, they have added "Esotec+" woofers and tweeters...whatever those are.

Here is my latest analysis on XD pricing...

EUR Pricing: (XD 200/XD 400/XD 600)
5.000/8.000/11.000

SEK Pricing:
45000/75000/98000

GBP Pricing:
4500/7250/8950

USD values of above: (EUR/SEK/GBP)

XD 200
$6291/$6106/$7200 (AVG ca. $6,500)
OR
FOCUS 160 + $3600 amp.
OR
224% price of Focus 160

XD 400
$10067/$10176/$11582 (AVG ca. $10,500)
OR
Focus 260 + $5600 amp.
OR
214% price of Focus 260.

XD 600
$13845/$13342/$14298 (AVG ca. $13,850)
OR
Focus 380 + $4350 amp.
OR
145% price of Focus 380.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #23661 of 23664 Old Today, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That could have been one of those perceived moments! I used volume control and SPL meter and it didn't move much, the C1 (original) was much more broke in though. The only accurate way to do this kind of test is pull both them out of the box new and have at it. I just recently did this with the LS50 but again raw test as the best way to do this (In my environment) would have some books stacked at my ear level. I have seen many that preferred the originals over the C1 MKII, some times it's difficult to better a great product in my mind, but you know they are going to try. With me I took one look at the Moca and was hooked just by the newer finishes.
It isn't loudness I was comparing but clarity. The originals sounds clearer to me when turned up and the originals go louder when pushed.

As far as Mocca - Yep the finish I like best
post #23662 of 23664 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
They are not. The XD cabinets are angled (focused) whereas the Excite cabinets are not.

In addition to one 150w amp per driver, DSP processors, and the IR sensor/volume display, they have added "Esotec+" woofers and tweeters...whatever those are.

Here is my latest analysis on XD pricing...

EUR Pricing: (XD 200/XD 400/XD 600)
5.000/8.000/11.000
Here I was scratching my head on people leaving comments on the quality of a system just from watching a Youtube video (and most likely from their cellphone) and now these prices…ouch!
I've definitely woken up on another planet…beam me up Scotty!!

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #23663 of 23664 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
CDL: Even after sleeping on it, I think my summation (to me) is accurate. The performance of the 260s was simply sublime from top-to-bottom but the performance of the 23s in the mids was also sublime. In the end, I can't say I am intrigued at all by additional Spendor models but if my "ship ever comes in" as they say, I would like to audition the Twenty.24 ($7K), 26 ($11K), or by that point simply jump to the Fact.8 ($12k).

I think for a PMC to begin checking as many boxes as the 260s, I would have to jump to north of $7K in price. But if I do that, I'd have to definitely bring the 340s/380s into the picture as well.
Oh, I didn't mean that I disagreed with you; in fact, I thought I used the phrase "spot on"? That means accurate

So...you would rank them 260, followed closely by the 23s; and the Spendor, pulling up a distant 3rd?

Listen...I think both Jax and I, who are both BIG PMC fans; have said...Dyns...especially compared to PMC...offer great value! I would think the 260, probably falls somewhere between the 24 (as you said, at 7k) and the 26 (at 11k). So...the $4900 260, is a great buy.

But I also stand by my assertion...that comparing the speakers, is apples and oranges a bit. In fact...I've said, exactly what your colorful chart confirms: Dyns are big bass/big highs speakers.

Some aren't looking for that; and by comparison...when I put my 1.3 mk IIs, in the main system...where the FACT 3s usually are (hardly a fair fight, I realize). They sounded very bass-heavy, to the point of being almost out of balance.

I haven't heard the new Focus myself; but I think Jax has confirmed...that "new" Dyn sound, probably compares most favorably; for guys that like PMC.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato

Last edited by CDLehner; Today at 08:18 AM.
post #23664 of 23664 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
It isn't loudness I was comparing but clarity. The originals sounds clearer to me when turned up and the originals go louder when pushed.

As far as Mocca - Yep the finish I like best
Well I wasn't using the SPL meter for measuring Clarity that's for sure. It was to measure the setting of the actual volume coming out of the speaker, dial them both in and use the SPL to measure the volume level of each speaker then compare them accurately as possible in a home setting. There is a ton of marketing done these days to sell just about anything, if Dynaudio did these test themselves and have some type of paper showing the differences then I would buy into it, and it would be factual information and just not theory and there is plenty of going around these days in these forums. Doesn't matter anyway we are all screwed anyway, older you get the hearing, eyesight everything starts to go, might as well start listening to Bose! LOL jk!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page