Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 818 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Speakers

dinmax82
10:50 AM Liked: 1
post #24511 of 24526
12-17-2014 | Posts: 25
Anyone use the Focus 110A? Seems very affordable especially with it being powered. But not sure if they really are up to snuff sound wise. Would use them as bookshelves at the office for a while then as surround for HT with Focus 340.
Borderdog's Avatar Borderdog
09:05 PM Liked: 59
post #24512 of 24526
12-17-2014 | Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Or maybe Borderdog could render his services and redo my Rosewood SCX in Black Lacquer, or better yet Mocca!
I could do your center in black lacquer quite easily, but the Mocha would be out of the question because they are such different woods. Rosewood is a heavy grained wood and in no way even close to the Dyn Mocha finish which is based on Birdseye Maple which is very tight-grained.
I do have a friend's Birdseye Maple Confidence Center which could easily be converted to Mocha.

Aaron
callas01's Avatar callas01
06:38 AM Liked: 81
post #24513 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Anyone use the Focus 110A? Seems very affordable especially with it being powered. But not sure if they really are up to snuff sound wise. Would use them as bookshelves at the office for a while then as surround for HT with Focus 340.
My dealer used to carry the 110A all the time and it always sounded great. For your office I think you'd really enjoy them. As surrounds... You'd have to run a pretty long RCA cable and also have an outlet nearby. Otherwise I think they'd do great.
Garman's Avatar Garman
06:49 AM Liked: 83
post #24514 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 5,043
Borderdog: I will give you call, as black lacquer would work, the setup doesn't look bad as is, but black would mate better with the Moccas. Also the stand design you sent me looks good except only two shelfs in center and then one on each side for Amps.
Boozer46
10:21 AM Liked: 6
post #24515 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
I've had a pair of 110A's for a few years now as my main listening setup. They're great, sound much bigger than their size would indicate, and can handle anything I've thrown at them. The level and filter settings on the back are adequate for dialing in the sound to your room. I do pair them with a sub because they don't have the low end grunt, but easily they are the best pair of monitors I've owned. Definitely worth picking up if a good used pair shows up for sale.
Boozer46
10:27 AM Liked: 6
post #24516 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 16
Here's a couple of pics I snapped last night of my 110A's as I was trial fitting them on new custom stands I made for them from aluminum plate & extrusion. I think they turned out pretty nice, and beefy as hell.

amatuerholic's Avatar amatuerholic
11:01 AM Liked: 45
post #24517 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Here's a couple of pics I snapped last night of my 110A's as I was trial fitting them on new custom stands I made for them from aluminum plate & extrusion. I think they turned out pretty nice, and beefy as hell.
Those stands look great!
CDLehner's Avatar CDLehner
04:13 PM Liked: 316
post #24518 of 24526
Yesterday | Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Those stands look great!
+1. Share your secret?
jamesblond's Avatar jamesblond
04:13 AM Liked: 29
post #24519 of 24526
Today | Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Hi Don

Redid the grill cloths on my Contours a few years ago and the best alternative, actually I prefer it over using glue, is Seamstress Fusible Tape, you use an iron, works like a charm.
Hi Rob,

could you please share how do did that? I've been practicing to redo the grill cloth for my Special Twenty Fives, but so far the results are nowhere near as good as I want it to be. The cloth I have is thicker than what Dynaudio uses, but looks similar from a small distance.

I use a strong glue, fold at the corners and make a 45 degree cut, so that I don't get the cloth layers stacked on top each other at the corners. But this is pretty darn difficult to do neatly...
04:33 AM Liked: 29
post #24520 of 24526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Went to my dealer last week. Turns out they won't get any Contour LE for auditioning, too bad. Would really like to hear them to compare with other lines as I am looking to upgrade to floorstanding speakers.

In regards to the Fokus XD line the guy there said something I read somewhere, maybe it was in this forum.
Went something like this:
The new Focus XD line is on par with or even better than confidence line. Not driver vs driver, but entire setup vs setup.
He said it was due to the fact that Dynaudio could tailor the amps for each driver and didn't have to make something where it should sound "good" on a lot of different amps and setups as might be with the "traditional" speakers. He used an analogy something like iPhone vs Andriod (iPhones seemingly running smoother as it doenst have to work with every program out there).

I am very sceptical about this though, some alarm bells ringing, I mean, it is not like active speakers are an invention of Dynaudio (also typical sales speech, read what he said almost word for word somewhere online).
Alas, before Christmas they should have the 400XD and I will compare those to C1 and probably Contour S 3.4 in their listening room.

Another thing I've noted about the XD's and something the dealer also talked about is the ability to turn +1dB or -1dB treble on the back of these speakers, which he said is not "just" turning it up and down but also something about changing the phase, to optimize to the room. Same goes with the ability to set each speaker to "corner, wall or neutral". I can't figure out if I like this or I feel they go away from the pure sound they I normally think of when thinking Dynaudio.
I've heard both the Focus XD200 and 400 up close and personal. I was really impressed by them, being a Special Twenty Five owner. In a number of ways I though the XD200 sounded better and smoother than my Rotel driven S25's. Since the Focus XD takes a digital signal and only converts that to analog right before the drivers, all amplification can be fully driver-optimised. It's definitely not just another active system. It's a new take on sound reproduction in a digitized world. If you can, I'd definitely seriously audition them before spending money on a complete set based on higher-end labeled speakers, like Contours. When going the XD-route, you'll have to re-evaluate how to build your system, since traditional laws of pre/amp combinations no longer apply.

You can read more about my experience with them here:
Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
Solgryn
05:27 AM Liked: 0
post #24521 of 24526
Today | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I've heard both the Focus XD200 and 400 up close and personal. I was really impressed by them, being a Special Twenty Five owner. In a number of ways I though the XD200 sounded better and smoother than my Rotel driven S25's. Since the Focus XD takes a digital signal and only converts that to analog right before the drivers, all amplification can be fully driver-optimised. It's definitely not just another active system. It's a new take on sound reproduction in a digitized world. If you can, I'd definitely seriously audition them before spending money on a complete set based on higher-end labeled speakers, like Contours. When going the XD-route, you'll have to re-evaluate how to build your system, since traditional laws of pre/amp combinations no longer apply.

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot ! I will definetly audition them. I am much more into the music than the equipment so it suits me very good I do not have to get into the pre/amp/??? world. I just want good sound, I am not an equipment hobbyist
That being said, I am very happy with my s 1.4's right now and really like the look of the s 3.4's.
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile
06:12 AM Liked: 50
post #24522 of 24526
Today | Posts: 779
Quote:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
How exciting. Where are you located again? Not in the US, right? I am still looking forward to US pricing.

How would you compare the XD 200 vs. 400? Which would you get for the money?
06:48 AM Liked: 29
post #24523 of 24526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Thanks a lot ! I will definetly audition them. I am much more into the music than the equipment so it suits me very good I do not have to get into the pre/amp/??? world. I just want good sound, I am not an equipment hobbyist
That being said, I am very happy with my s 1.4's right now and really like the look of the s 3.4's.
Il have to stretch my memory, but I recall quite liking the C1.4's, though not a much as my Special 25's on an elderly Rotel AVR. The C1.4's are easy-going, everything-eating speakers. I was looking to get a pair, until I ran into a pair of S25's for a very good price. I haven't heard the C1.4's on a very high quality amp and source, though. I'm guessing that in a price-wise comparable setup the XD200's will sound more transparent, more life-like and more dynamic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
How exciting. Where are you located again? Not in the US, right? I am still looking forward to US pricing.

How would you compare the XD 200 vs. 400? Which would you get for the money?
I'm located in the The Netherlands.

The XD400 clearly is a bigger speaker, both visually and sonically. They do sound much alike, but the XD400 has a bit more mid-bass grunt - as can be expected from a larger speaker. It'll be able do drive a bigger room, although you really shouldn't underestimate the capability of the XD200. It played at convinclingly "live" levels in quite a large room during the introduction - without any signs of strain, I'd like to add! It didn't have the sheer bass power and extension of it's bigger brother, but I'm sure that in most living rooms or listening rooms it will do just fine. Unless you're an absolute (budget limited) deep bass nut like me. I believe someone on this forum mentioned he heared from Dynaudio USA that they're working on a Focus XD subwoofer. During the demo they mentioned nothing of the sort. I can't confirm it, although I discussed with Roland Hoffmann (product manager) I thought it would be a very good idea to incorporate some form of subwoofer integration. Especially in the 200 and 400.

I really believe Dynaudio would be shooting themselves in the knee if they didn't release (a) subwoofer solution(s) for the Focus XD series. So if you can wait a little longer, I'd wait and see what they come up with.
rob80b's Avatar rob80b
09:03 AM Liked: 38
post #24524 of 24526
Today | Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Hi Rob,

could you please share how do did that? I've been practicing to redo the grill cloth for my Special Twenty Fives, but so far the results are nowhere near as good as I want it to be. The cloth I have is thicker than what Dynaudio uses, but looks similar from a small distance.

I use a strong glue, fold at the corners and make a 45 degree cut, so that I don't get the cloth layers stacked on top each other at the corners. But this is pretty darn difficult to do neatly...
Hi James

First, ideally I’d try and find a lighter material unless it’s just for protecting the drivers; even the stock grills I’ve found mask delicate frequencies emanating from the tweeters, so I usually remove the grills for critical listening.
Lots of guides on line, for example http://www.humanspeakers.com/howto/grill-cloth.htm but if you go my route with the Fusible Tape a lighter grill cloth is highly recommended. Always give your self lots of material to work with otherwise the job can be very tricky as one tries to stretch the material around the frame and tack it at the same time if using glue. Once the glue is dried it’s just a matter of taking an X-acto knife and straight edge to trim the excess.
I used a glue gun to reaffix the logo.

1.3MKIIs with new grill material.

amatuerholic's Avatar amatuerholic
09:36 AM Liked: 45
post #24525 of 24526
Today | Posts: 405
Quote:
I believe someone on this forum mentioned he heared from Dynaudio USA that they're working on a Focus XD subwoofer. During the demo they mentioned nothing of the sort. ...

I really believe Dynaudio would be shooting themselves in the knee if they didn't release (a) subwoofer solution(s) for the Focus XD series. So if you can wait a little longer, I'd wait and see what they come up with.
I called the Dyn USA headquarters to find out about sub integration for the XD speakers, as well as how to get the different bitrates. The guy on the phone said to use a transmitter to a XEO link and use the analog outs for a sub; he then mentioned that XD subs should be announced by spring of next year.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks
11:07 AM Liked: 141
post #24526 of 24526
Today | Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I called the Dyn USA headquarters to find out about sub integration for the XD speakers, as well as how to get the different bitrates. The guy on the phone said to use a transmitter to a XEO link and use the analog outs for a sub; he then mentioned that XD subs should be announced by spring of next year.
Anyone know if the new Xeo link will work with the Xeo 3s? Will the new Xeo hub work with the older XEOs?
Tags: Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread