Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 354Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24511 of 24535 Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone use the Focus 110A? Seems very affordable especially with it being powered. But not sure if they really are up to snuff sound wise. Would use them as bookshelves at the office for a while then as surround for HT with Focus 340.
dinmax82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24512 of 24535 Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Or maybe Borderdog could render his services and redo my Rosewood SCX in Black Lacquer, or better yet Mocca!
I could do your center in black lacquer quite easily, but the Mocha would be out of the question because they are such different woods. Rosewood is a heavy grained wood and in no way even close to the Dyn Mocha finish which is based on Birdseye Maple which is very tight-grained.
I do have a friend's Birdseye Maple Confidence Center which could easily be converted to Mocha.

Aaron
Borderdog is offline  
post #24513 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Anyone use the Focus 110A? Seems very affordable especially with it being powered. But not sure if they really are up to snuff sound wise. Would use them as bookshelves at the office for a while then as surround for HT with Focus 340.
My dealer used to carry the 110A all the time and it always sounded great. For your office I think you'd really enjoy them. As surrounds... You'd have to run a pretty long RCA cable and also have an outlet nearby. Otherwise I think they'd do great.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is offline  
post #24514 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,045
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Borderdog: I will give you call, as black lacquer would work, the setup doesn't look bad as is, but black would mate better with the Moccas. Also the stand design you sent me looks good except only two shelfs in center and then one on each side for Amps.
Garman is online now  
post #24515 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Anyone use the Focus 110A? Seems very affordable especially with it being powered. But not sure if they really are up to snuff sound wise. Would use them as bookshelves at the office for a while then as surround for HT with Focus 340.
I've had a pair of 110A's for a few years now as my main listening setup. They're great, sound much bigger than their size would indicate, and can handle anything I've thrown at them. The level and filter settings on the back are adequate for dialing in the sound to your room. I do pair them with a sub because they don't have the low end grunt, but easily they are the best pair of monitors I've owned. Definitely worth picking up if a good used pair shows up for sale.
Boozer46 is offline  
post #24516 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Here's a couple of pics I snapped last night of my 110A's as I was trial fitting them on new custom stands I made for them from aluminum plate & extrusion. I think they turned out pretty nice, and beefy as hell.


Garman, lulimet, Bluvette and 2 others like this.
Boozer46 is offline  
post #24517 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Here's a couple of pics I snapped last night of my 110A's as I was trial fitting them on new custom stands I made for them from aluminum plate & extrusion. I think they turned out pretty nice, and beefy as hell.
Those stands look great!
amatuerholic is offline  
post #24518 of 24535 Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Those stands look great!
+1. Share your secret?

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #24519 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Hi Don

Redid the grill cloths on my Contours a few years ago and the best alternative, actually I prefer it over using glue, is Seamstress Fusible Tape, you use an iron, works like a charm.
Hi Rob,

could you please share how do did that? I've been practicing to redo the grill cloth for my Special Twenty Fives, but so far the results are nowhere near as good as I want it to be. The cloth I have is thicker than what Dynaudio uses, but looks similar from a small distance.

I use a strong glue, fold at the corners and make a 45 degree cut, so that I don't get the cloth layers stacked on top each other at the corners. But this is pretty darn difficult to do neatly...
jamesblond is online now  
post #24520 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Went to my dealer last week. Turns out they won't get any Contour LE for auditioning, too bad. Would really like to hear them to compare with other lines as I am looking to upgrade to floorstanding speakers.

In regards to the Fokus XD line the guy there said something I read somewhere, maybe it was in this forum.
Went something like this:
The new Focus XD line is on par with or even better than confidence line. Not driver vs driver, but entire setup vs setup.
He said it was due to the fact that Dynaudio could tailor the amps for each driver and didn't have to make something where it should sound "good" on a lot of different amps and setups as might be with the "traditional" speakers. He used an analogy something like iPhone vs Andriod (iPhones seemingly running smoother as it doenst have to work with every program out there).

I am very sceptical about this though, some alarm bells ringing, I mean, it is not like active speakers are an invention of Dynaudio (also typical sales speech, read what he said almost word for word somewhere online).
Alas, before Christmas they should have the 400XD and I will compare those to C1 and probably Contour S 3.4 in their listening room.

Another thing I've noted about the XD's and something the dealer also talked about is the ability to turn +1dB or -1dB treble on the back of these speakers, which he said is not "just" turning it up and down but also something about changing the phase, to optimize to the room. Same goes with the ability to set each speaker to "corner, wall or neutral". I can't figure out if I like this or I feel they go away from the pure sound they I normally think of when thinking Dynaudio.
I've heard both the Focus XD200 and 400 up close and personal. I was really impressed by them, being a Special Twenty Five owner. In a number of ways I though the XD200 sounded better and smoother than my Rotel driven S25's. Since the Focus XD takes a digital signal and only converts that to analog right before the drivers, all amplification can be fully driver-optimised. It's definitely not just another active system. It's a new take on sound reproduction in a digitized world. If you can, I'd definitely seriously audition them before spending money on a complete set based on higher-end labeled speakers, like Contours. When going the XD-route, you'll have to re-evaluate how to build your system, since traditional laws of pre/amp combinations no longer apply.

You can read more about my experience with them here:
Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
jamesblond is online now  
post #24521 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I've heard both the Focus XD200 and 400 up close and personal. I was really impressed by them, being a Special Twenty Five owner. In a number of ways I though the XD200 sounded better and smoother than my Rotel driven S25's. Since the Focus XD takes a digital signal and only converts that to analog right before the drivers, all amplification can be fully driver-optimised. It's definitely not just another active system. It's a new take on sound reproduction in a digitized world. If you can, I'd definitely seriously audition them before spending money on a complete set based on higher-end labeled speakers, like Contours. When going the XD-route, you'll have to re-evaluate how to build your system, since traditional laws of pre/amp combinations no longer apply.

You can read more about my experience with them here:
Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot ! I will definetly audition them. I am much more into the music than the equipment so it suits me very good I do not have to get into the pre/amp/??? world. I just want good sound, I am not an equipment hobbyist
That being said, I am very happy with my s 1.4's right now and really like the look of the s 3.4's.

Contour 1.4S Black Ash
Solgryn is offline  
post #24522 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I've heard both the Focus XD200 and 400 up close and personal. I was really impressed by them, being a Special Twenty Five owner. In a number of ways I though the XD200 sounded better and smoother than my Rotel driven S25's. Since the Focus XD takes a digital signal and only converts that to analog right before the drivers, all amplification can be fully driver-optimised. It's definitely not just another active system. It's a new take on sound reproduction in a digitized world. If you can, I'd definitely seriously audition them before spending money on a complete set based on higher-end labeled speakers, like Contours. When going the XD-route, you'll have to re-evaluate how to build your system, since traditional laws of pre/amp combinations no longer apply.

You can read more about my experience with them here:
Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Hope this helps.
How exciting. Where are you located again? Not in the US, right? I am still looking forward to US pricing.

How would you compare the XD 200 vs. 400? Which would you get for the money?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

GTaudiophile is offline  
post #24523 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Thanks a lot ! I will definetly audition them. I am much more into the music than the equipment so it suits me very good I do not have to get into the pre/amp/??? world. I just want good sound, I am not an equipment hobbyist
That being said, I am very happy with my s 1.4's right now and really like the look of the s 3.4's.
Il have to stretch my memory, but I recall quite liking the C1.4's, though not a much as my Special 25's on an elderly Rotel AVR. The C1.4's are easy-going, everything-eating speakers. I was looking to get a pair, until I ran into a pair of S25's for a very good price. I haven't heard the C1.4's on a very high quality amp and source, though. I'm guessing that in a price-wise comparable setup the XD200's will sound more transparent, more life-like and more dynamic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
How exciting. Where are you located again? Not in the US, right? I am still looking forward to US pricing.

How would you compare the XD 200 vs. 400? Which would you get for the money?
I'm located in the The Netherlands.

The XD400 clearly is a bigger speaker, both visually and sonically. They do sound much alike, but the XD400 has a bit more mid-bass grunt - as can be expected from a larger speaker. It'll be able do drive a bigger room, although you really shouldn't underestimate the capability of the XD200. It played at convinclingly "live" levels in quite a large room during the introduction - without any signs of strain, I'd like to add! It didn't have the sheer bass power and extension of it's bigger brother, but I'm sure that in most living rooms or listening rooms it will do just fine. Unless you're an absolute (budget limited) deep bass nut like me. I believe someone on this forum mentioned he heared from Dynaudio USA that they're working on a Focus XD subwoofer. During the demo they mentioned nothing of the sort. I can't confirm it, although I discussed with Roland Hoffmann (product manager) I thought it would be a very good idea to incorporate some form of subwoofer integration. Especially in the 200 and 400.

I really believe Dynaudio would be shooting themselves in the knee if they didn't release (a) subwoofer solution(s) for the Focus XD series. So if you can wait a little longer, I'd wait and see what they come up with.

Last edited by jamesblond; Yesterday at 08:09 AM.
jamesblond is online now  
post #24524 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
Hi Rob,

could you please share how do did that? I've been practicing to redo the grill cloth for my Special Twenty Fives, but so far the results are nowhere near as good as I want it to be. The cloth I have is thicker than what Dynaudio uses, but looks similar from a small distance.

I use a strong glue, fold at the corners and make a 45 degree cut, so that I don't get the cloth layers stacked on top each other at the corners. But this is pretty darn difficult to do neatly...
Hi James

First, ideally I’d try and find a lighter material unless it’s just for protecting the drivers; even the stock grills I’ve found mask delicate frequencies emanating from the tweeters, so I usually remove the grills for critical listening.
Lots of guides on line, for example http://www.humanspeakers.com/howto/grill-cloth.htm but if you go my route with the Fusible Tape a lighter grill cloth is highly recommended. Always give your self lots of material to work with otherwise the job can be very tricky as one tries to stretch the material around the frame and tack it at the same time if using glue. Once the glue is dried it’s just a matter of taking an X-acto knife and straight edge to trim the excess.
I used a glue gun to reaffix the logo.

1.3MKIIs with new grill material.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.
rob80b is offline  
post #24525 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I believe someone on this forum mentioned he heared from Dynaudio USA that they're working on a Focus XD subwoofer. During the demo they mentioned nothing of the sort. ...

I really believe Dynaudio would be shooting themselves in the knee if they didn't release (a) subwoofer solution(s) for the Focus XD series. So if you can wait a little longer, I'd wait and see what they come up with.
I called the Dyn USA headquarters to find out about sub integration for the XD speakers, as well as how to get the different bitrates. The guy on the phone said to use a transmitter to a XEO link and use the analog outs for a sub; he then mentioned that XD subs should be announced by spring of next year.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #24526 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I called the Dyn USA headquarters to find out about sub integration for the XD speakers, as well as how to get the different bitrates. The guy on the phone said to use a transmitter to a XEO link and use the analog outs for a sub; he then mentioned that XD subs should be announced by spring of next year.
Anyone know if the new Xeo link will work with the Xeo 3s? Will the new Xeo hub work with the older XEOs?

Last edited by Spurrier Sucks; Yesterday at 11:11 AM.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #24527 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Anyone know if the new Xeo link will work with the Xeo 3s? Will the new Xeo hub work with the older XEOs?
If no one responds, I'd suggest calling Dyn USA. They were polite enough in answering my questions when I reached out a few weeks back.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #24528 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
If no one responds, I'd suggest calling Dyn USA. They were polite enough in answering my questions when I reached out a few weeks back.
It seems they will not. Something about different chip sets.
amatuerholic likes this.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #24529 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
How exciting. Where are you located again? Not in the US, right? I am still looking forward to US pricing.

How would you compare the XD 200 vs. 400? Which would you get for the money?
I read on the Dyn FB page the prices are $7000, $11,000, and $13,500 for the US.
amatuerholic likes this.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #24530 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Borderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
Il have to stretch my memory, but I recall quite liking the C1.4's, though not a much as my Special 25's on an elderly Rotel AVR. The C1.4's are easy-going, everything-eating speakers. I was looking to get a pair, until I ran into a pair of S25's for a very good price. I haven't heard the C1.4's on a very high quality amp and source, though. I'm guessing that in a price-wise comparable setup the XD200's will sound more transparent, more life-like and more dynamic.
James,

Have you ever heard your S25's with a good amp and source? You keep talking about Rotel; c'mon!
I've had the S25's since their inception and I have thrown numerous sources and other upstream electronics at them. I have never felt that the cost of the sources has ever exceeded the S25's ability to portray them; even though the cost of each component cost more than the 25's. Very few speakers can brag about that. The C1's will do that also.
But when you compare certain Dyn speakers using Rotel with Dyn's new Focus XD's, I really have to question your logic.
The XD's and Xeo's may be a solution for many people, but for me, who has one of the most transparent monitors out there, I will choose what I want to hear and that is through the electronics I connect them to.

I am not going to allow Dynaudio to determine what I like to hear; Xeo's not so much, but the XD's are at such a high price point that I want to choose my own path.
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by Borderdog; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
Borderdog is offline  
post #24531 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,045
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Borderdog,

The question should be what types of Class D Amps are Dynaudio using? I mean most of the Class D stuff that is any good is most likely B&O ICE Amps or Bel Canto or some other Chinese knock offs that sound horrible. My bet is on B&O and maybe they modified them, I mean PeachTree uses B&O ICE and I don't think they sound all that great, especially if you compare them to a decent A/B amp which I have been doing for the last couple of months. I think they are a great concept speaker but for a main system, for me a big no, now for a second room or bedroom yes. I am one that likes to carefully mix and match till I find some thing that just sounds right too my ears. I wonder if Mick or Mike can let us know what is under the hood, because I know Dynaudio isn't in the business of building Amps. I am sure this has been contracted out.
Garman is online now  
post #24532 of 24535 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Member
 
macddmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Borderdog,

The question should be what types of Class D Amps are Dynaudio using? I mean most of the Class D stuff that is any good is most likely B&O ICE Amps or Bel Canto or some other Chinese knock offs that sound horrible. My bet is on B&O and maybe they modified them, I mean PeachTree uses B&O ICE and I don't think they sound all that great, especially if you compare them to a decent A/B amp which I have been doing for the last couple of months. I think they are a great concept speaker but for a main system, for me a big no, now for a second room or bedroom yes. I am one that likes to carefully mix and match till I find some thing that just sounds right too my ears. I wonder if Mick or Mike can let us know what is under the hood, because I know Dynaudio isn't in the business of building Amps. I am sure this has been contracted out.
What about Hypex N-Core or something custom by them for Dyn?
Or.. Perhaps Mini DSP's with ice power. They are doing some amazing work with Dirac as well these days.
Cheers, Mac
macddmac is online now  
post #24533 of 24535 Old Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,045
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 83
macddmac:

http://www.hypex.nl/who-we-are.html

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com

Both from the Netherlands so it wouldn't surprise me if Dynaudio is using their Amps with a different implementation, integrated with their speakers.

The problem I have even with good Class D Amps is, every time I throw a decent modest price A/B Amp or a Amp like Threshold/Pass etc.. they just don't sound as good to my ears. I have a 12 year old class A/B Kinergetic Research Amp that sounds better than a new PeachTree 220, sure it says it has a ton of power but it seems to lack Dynamics and punch. I have had Bel Canto and Wyred for Sound (decent) and others.. Pass Amps are a Amp I could live with for 15 years without even wanting to switch, just need to save up some money for one! Right CD!
Garman is online now  
post #24534 of 24535 Old Today, 12:37 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
macddmac:

http://www.hypex.nl/who-we-are.html

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com

Both from the Netherlands so it wouldn't surprise me if Dynaudio is using their Amps with a different implementation, integrated with their speakers.

The problem I have even with good Class D Amps is, every time I throw a decent modest price A/B Amp or a Amp like Threshold/Pass etc.. they just don't sound as good to my ears. I have a 12 year old class A/B Kinergetic Research Amp that sounds better than a new PeachTree 220, sure it says it has a ton of power but it seems to lack Dynamics and punch. I have had Bel Canto and Wyred for Sound (decent) and others.. Pass Amps are a Amp I could live with for 15 years without even wanting to switch, just need to save up some money for one! Right CD!
The amps used in the XD aren't class D. They're PowerDAC's built by Texas Instruments.
jamesblond is online now  
post #24535 of 24535 Old Today, 12:56 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
James,

Have you ever heard your S25's with a good amp and source? You keep talking about Rotel; c'mon!
I've had the S25's since their inception and I have thrown numerous sources and other upstream electronics at them. I have never felt that the cost of the sources has ever exceeded the S25's ability to portray them; even though the cost of each component cost more than the 25's. Very few speakers can brag about that. The C1's will do that also.
But when you compare certain Dyn speakers using Rotel with Dyn's new Focus XD's, I really have to question your logic.
The XD's and Xeo's may be a solution for many people, but for me, who has one of the most transparent monitors out there, I will choose what I want to hear and that is through the electronics I connect them to.

I am not going to allow Dynaudio to determine what I like to hear; Xeo's not so much, but the XD's are at such a high price point that I want to choose my own path.
If you can afford a front end that costs a small fortune, that's great! If I could, I certainly would get something better. For now, though, my Rotel will have to do.

During my years as a recording engineer I've heard a bunch of really great sounding systems in great rooms. Even though my Rotel isn't the best amp by far, my room still sounds pretty ok, concidering I've done very little about it. The system as a whole sounds very good and can compete with some of the better sounding studio's I've been in. It's certainly good enough that I can mix and master confidently with it. I agree with you, though: I'm sure I can gain a lot by upgrading the source and amps. But as I've said: I currently can't afford that. In fact, if I hadn't found my S25's used for the price I've paid, I probably wouldn't have had them at all, if ever. As it is, I'm pretty happy with this system.

When the opportunity presents itself, I'll probably upgrade the front end. What int.amp or pre/power combo would you suggest?
jamesblond is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off