Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 820 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Speakers

Borderdog's Avatar Borderdog
08:23 PM Liked: 64
post #24571 of 24592
12-24-2014 | Posts: 445
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmusicaddict View Post
Borderdog's quote:

There are many schools of thought on "price of upstream components vs. the price of your speakers".
1) Some say your total outlay of upstream should equal but not exceed the cost of your speakers.
2) Others say that each component should be about the same price as your speakers and that cabling about 15-20% of the total cost.
----------------------------------------------
I guess I must be on the wrong side of schools of thought recently as I am very happy with the sound I'm getting using an Oppo 105 and a W4S STI-1000 with my Sapphires (mated to an REL B1 sub). I have owned far more expensive components over the years like Accuphase, Threshold, Melos, Muse and McCormack. The prior Accuphase DP-55, Melos MA-333 Ref pre, and DNA-1 were a bit dark through the (already warm/dark) Sapphires. With these newer, less expensive components (Oppo, W4S) the sound is more detailed and retains good body.

I recall in 1978 reading that your cartridge and speaker combined cost should be about equal in cost to your turntable and amplification combined cost. Interesting. And more recently, it seems many (i.e.: high end dealers) propose you drop a small fortune on the other (electronic) components they sell. I feel most have a real financial interest in this proposal.

Personally I've always thought if someone said take $10k and assemble the best possible system you can, I'd probably be spending more on higher quality speakers but still buying good electronics. I say get the blindfolded listeners (high-enders and/or laymen) and let them listen to great $2000 speakers with $8000 of electronics and cables and decide if that setup is any better than a system with, say, great $7000 speakers and $3000 of electronics, etc.

Nobody gets to read the brand names and (mentally) decide. Let the chips fall where they may. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE! Mark
Hey Mark,

I've been in all "schools of thought" and I don't know what is right or wrong. I guess it all depends on your budget and how far you want to tread into this crazy hobby of ours.

Audiophiledom has the lowest bang-for-the dollar out there. The laws of diminishing returns!

What would I do if I had only $10,000 for a system:
1) A pair of Focus 160's w/stands (3.5K)
2) Belles' integrated (3.5K)
3) Dac (1K)
4) The balance of 2K towards more music! Or Room treatments.

Borderdog
CDLehner's Avatar CDLehner
08:58 AM Liked: 321
post #24572 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 9,151
Joined: Aug 2006
Merry Merry, and Happy Listening to all!
callas01's Avatar callas01
02:10 PM Liked: 81
post #24573 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 1,752
Joined: Feb 2010
Merry Christmas everyone!
amatuerholic's Avatar amatuerholic
04:30 PM Liked: 45
post #24574 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 409
Joined: Oct 2012
Merry Christmas! Anyone get anything nice?
Boozer46
09:01 PM Liked: 8
post #24575 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 2014
Anyone have any new information on the expected availability and pricing of the XD line in the US? I kept hearing December availability but now january is practically here and still nothing. Pricing seems to still be a mystery too, the last time I talked to my dealer he thought the XD600 would retail for around $20k, which is quite a bit higher than what has been speculated on here. I received a generous unexpected Xmas bonus this year, so XD's are definitely on my radar now (but probably not the 600's).
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile
09:32 PM Liked: 51
post #24576 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 786
Joined: Sep 2006
GJ on your bonus. That seems outrageous for the XD600. I doubt it. Still think the 600 will max out around $13K and less than C2P.
Garman's Avatar Garman
10:55 PM Liked: 85
post #24577 of 24592
12-25-2014 | Posts: 5,059
Joined: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Merry Christmas! Anyone get anything nice?
A new Pair of C2's! and some Scansonics MB-1's curtsey of Tyler at Next Level Audio!

Ski stuff..... Now I just need time to enjoy them....

Frickin hit a deer on the way home from my sisters tonight, thankfully just need a new front bumper and thankfully everyone was fine as I was calm and instead of swerving into on coming traffic just applied breaks and said hold on! (company car) Nails the dear in the front right bumper with just a few dings, nice on the right side door and totally missed the front quarter panel.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks
05:52 AM Liked: 143
post #24578 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 461
Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I read on the Dyn FB page the prices are $7000, $11,000, and $13,500 for the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Anyone have any new information on the expected availability and pricing of the XD line in the US? I kept hearing December availability but now january is practically here and still nothing. Pricing seems to still be a mystery too, the last time I talked to my dealer he thought the XD600 would retail for around $20k, which is quite a bit higher than what has been speculated on here. I received a generous unexpected Xmas bonus this year, so XD's are definitely on my radar now (but probably not the 600's).
I posted the above a couple of pages back. It was posted by Dyn on their FB page.
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar OctaDyn_Dude
06:16 AM Liked: 50
post #24579 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 897
Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
A new Pair of C2's! and some Scansonics MB-1's curtsey of Tyler at Next Level Audio!

Ski stuff..... Now I just need time to enjoy them....

Frickin hit a deer on the way home from my sisters tonight, thankfully just need a new front bumper and thankfully everyone was fine as I was calm and instead of swerving into on coming traffic just applied breaks and said hold on! (company car) Nails the dear in the front right bumper with just a few dings, nice on the right side door and totally missed the front quarter panel.
Glad no one but the deer got hurt. Damage seems to me minimal for a deer collision too.
Boozer46
07:35 AM Liked: 8
post #24580 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I posted the above a couple of pages back. It was posted by Dyn on their FB page.
Can you provide a link to that in the Dyn FB page? I don't see that anywhere. Thanks
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
09:03 AM Liked: 483
post #24581 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 3,772
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
A new Pair of C2's! and some Scansonics MB-1's curtsey of Tyler at Next Level Audio!



Ski stuff..... Now I just need time to enjoy them....



Frickin hit a deer on the way home from my sisters tonight, thankfully just need a new front bumper and thankfully everyone was fine as I was calm and instead of swerving into on coming traffic just applied breaks and said hold on! (company car) Nails the dear in the front right bumper with just a few dings, nice on the right side door and totally missed the front quarter panel.

Did you haul it to the processor?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile
01:56 PM Liked: 51
post #24582 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 786
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Can you provide a link to that in the Dyn FB page? I don't see that anywhere. Thanks
Indeed the "Dyn FB Post" about USD pricing information may have been posted by me...not Dynaudio.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks
02:09 PM Liked: 143
post #24583 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 461
Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Can you provide a link to that in the Dyn FB page? I don't see that anywhere. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Indeed the "Dyn FB Post" about USD pricing information may have been posted by me...not Dynaudio.
I don't know how to link it, sorry, but it's in a thread started on Nov. 28. The post by Dyn starts as more info on the XD line with a link provided. I only see 9 comments on that thread and it's the last comment in the thread. Hope that helps.

This is a copy of the thread.
Dynaudio shared a link.
Nov 28 ·
Lot's of updates on: http://focusxd.dynaudio.com/

Focus XD speakers - High-end digital wireless speaker
Take your digital audio systems to a whole new level. Completely new way of experiencing Hi-Fi. Digital...
Boozer46
02:52 PM Liked: 8
post #24584 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I don't know how to link it, sorry, but it's in a thread started on Nov. 28. The post by Dyn starts as more info on the XD line with a link provided. I only see 9 comments on that thread and it's the last comment in the thread. Hope that helps.

This is a copy of the thread.
Dynaudio shared a link.
Nov 28 ·
Lot's of updates on: http://focusxd.dynaudio.com/

Focus XD speakers - High-end digital wireless speaker
Take your digital audio systems to a whole new level. Completely new way of experiencing Hi-Fi. Digital...
Yes, I see it now, thanks. It also states product should be at US dealers within the month, and that reply was dated 12/2, so it looks like I'll be calling my dealer next week.

Even if they are mind blowing awesome, I Wish the pricing was a little more reasonable.
Borderdog's Avatar Borderdog
08:14 PM Liked: 64
post #24585 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 445
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Did you haul it to the processor?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Processor?

You city boys are funny.

Gar already has that deer skinned, gutted, and hanging in his garage curing.
amatuerholic's Avatar amatuerholic
10:16 PM Liked: 45
post #24586 of 24592
12-26-2014 | Posts: 409
Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Processor?

You city boys are funny.

Gar alreaddy has the the deer skinned, gutted, and hanging in his garage curing.
Hey Borderdog, can I PM you with a woodworking question?
Borderdog's Avatar Borderdog
05:56 AM Liked: 64
post #24587 of 24592
Yesterday | Posts: 445
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Hey Borderdog, can I PM you with a woodworking question?
Yes. I'm here to help if I can.
GTaudiophile's Avatar GTaudiophile
04:30 PM Liked: 51
post #24588 of 24592
Yesterday | Posts: 786
Joined: Sep 2006
Okay I see the pricing info now too. $7, $11, and $13.5K, respectively. The XD200 even after selling my NAIM and DAC would be a stretch. I'd have to be blown away by them.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks
05:12 PM Liked: 143
post #24589 of 24592
Yesterday | Posts: 461
Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Okay I see the pricing info now too. $7, $11, and $13.5K, respectively. The XD200 even after selling my NAIM and DAC would be a stretch. I'd have to be blown away by them.
If you sell the Naim PM me first please.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks
09:42 AM Liked: 143
post #24590 of 24592
Today | Posts: 461
Joined: Nov 2009
Just in case you haven't seen them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Spe...-/281542560463
And
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAUDIO-Spe...-/171599538205
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar Mr.SoftDome
10:35 AM Liked: 38
post #24591 of 24592
Today | Posts: 660
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Okay I see the pricing info now too. $7, $11, and $13.5K, respectively. The XD200 even after selling my NAIM and DAC would be a stretch. I'd have to be blown away by them.
This is a lot of money for escentially a Focus speaker. Am I losing touch with the industry as a whole? These all in ones lock you into "one sound" for the long haul. Granted some of you guys have had many more amps, pre-amps and speakers than I have but if I had to change amp and pre-amp etc everytime I wanted to try a new speaker I could never afford to upgrade.

I'm going on my 4th speaker using my same amp and pre. It would be fun to try new gear but at least I'm set with power and a great pre-pro. I can't imagine being locked into these various speakers being put out by Dynaudio where you are basically locked into one speaker and one sound for years unless you can afford to dump them at a loss every two or three years.

The Focus speakers are fine speakers for sure but I just don't understand why Contour and Confidence are not being replaced. In my auditions the um "they are better at lower listening levels" was not enough to make me reinvest into a speaker that I have already owned. It's like owning a 2013 Vette and buying a 2015 Vette and getting a new color and a revised navigation system and a minor performance tweek for five added hp. It's still the same car but you got a snappy new color and that's the bottom line.

I don't understand Dynaudio's direction as of late but then as stated perhaps I'm out of touch with the direction we are being taken to. I just can't imagine being tied into a speaker with no chance to upgrade or try new due to built in amps ect. Especially when said speaker is a Focus no matter what you stuff in its cabinet.

But for Dynaudio sake I hope they sell like hot cakes but where the hell is a Contour/Confidence replacement already?

Rick
amatuerholic's Avatar amatuerholic
11:57 AM Liked: 45
post #24592 of 24592
Today | Posts: 409
Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

This is a lot of money for essentially a Focus speaker. ...

Rick
From those who have listened, the comments typically include something about the sound being very comparable to that of the Confidence line. The tweeter and driver(s) are also upgraded from the standard Focus speakers.
Tags: Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3