Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 831 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 426Likes

post #24901 of 24907 Old Today, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So made a last second switch. I'm not going to get the C1, but the 400 XD. After listening to the 400 XD I was pretty sure this was more my liking.
The 200 and 400 XD have so much air about the middle and high notes and the 400's with an immence deep end. It really blew me away.

Will get them this tuesday and I am soooo hyped.
amatuerholic likes this.

Contour 1.4S Black Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24902 of 24907 Old Today, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeotec View Post
I just wanted to post an update and thank everyone for your help educating me on some of the basics of audio equipment. Last week I purchased a pair of Focus 160's on an impulse and came here asking for help on how to power them.

Despite my original budget of $2,000.... I just purchased a Naim 152 pre-amp and Naim 155 power amp. I also purchased a Chord DAC (I can't remember the model but it has an option for Bluetooth and USB).
This was a step up from the Hegel 80 I discussed with my audio dealer. I still can't understand the whole "watts per channel" thing since the Naim is only rated for 60 watts but apparently this is a much more robust system?

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with a similar set up?
Naim gear matches very well with Dyn's. The watts may not sound like a lot but the Naim gear has very high current reserves which is what the Dyn's strive for. I have a friend John (bluvette) who drives his C4 Sig's with a Naim Supernait2. I always thought the more watts the better. I started with a Bryston B100sst (180W @ 4ohm) when I had my original C1's. My dealer had tried to talk me into either Naim or Octave. I was very resistive due to the published watts. Then one day my dealer brought an Octave V70se (70W @ 4ohm) for an in home demo. Well the Bryston never went back in. The Octave had so much more control over the music. Because the Octave is a tube integrated I can swap out tubes to change the sound without having to buy different equipment.

Bottom line - go for what sounds best regardless of the watts.
post #24903 of 24907 Old Today, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeotec View Post
I just wanted to post an update and thank everyone for your help educating me on some of the basics of audio equipment. Last week I purchased a pair of Focus 160's on an impulse and came here asking for help on how to power them.

Despite my original budget of $2,000.... I just purchased a Naim 152 pre-amp and Naim 155 power amp. I also purchased a Chord DAC (I can't remember the model but it has an option for Bluetooth and USB).
This was a step up from the Hegel 80 I discussed with my audio dealer. I still can't understand the whole "watts per channel" thing since the Naim is only rated for 60 watts but apparently this is a much more robust system?

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with a similar set up?
Adeotec, now that you've conquered the "basics"; time for your advanced training.

Not all watts, are created equal.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #24904 of 24907 Old Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
So made a last second switch. I'm not going to get the C1, but the 400 XD. After listening to the 400 XD I was pretty sure this was more my liking.
The 200 and 400 XD have so much air about the middle and high notes and the 400's with an immence deep end. It really blew me away.

Awesome! Congrats!!

I love my focus 260s, and the XD400s are cousins... I don't think I'd switch the 260s out for anything else right now. Can't wait to see you pics of the new speakers!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #24905 of 24907 Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Awesome! I think we're all excited to see and hear what you have to say about them.

How are you playing back your music? Do you plan to use the wireless option, or will you be running a cable from a processor to your speakers?

post #24906 of 24907 Old Today, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Have you ever auditioned the Focus 260? Superb speaker. Wondering how they compare to the 400XD. A few reviews seem to compare them against the C1, so it would be interesting to hear how they compare with the 400XD.

I was so impressed with the 260 at their price point, I bought them.
post #24907 of 24907 Old Today, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Congrats! Will you be the first XD owner here?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page