post #25441 of 25470 Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer46 View Post
Any Dyn sub owners here? Thoughts on their performance to value ratio?

My cheapo Pioneer sub just took a crap so now I'm on the hunt for a replacement. I'm looking at the Dyn subs, but I'm of the general mindset that a sub playing such a limited bandwidth of frequencies doesn't justify a premium price, so really wondering if the Dyn subs are just so much better than any of the myriad powered subs out there at much more reasonable prices. I'm willing to pay a little more for Dyn (since I'm a fan), but even at current discounted pricing - a Sub 500 seems a little steep.
Neither heard nor seen one in person. Most dealers I know stock REL or Velodyne.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25442 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Adeotec: I would be very careful on what type of receiver you buy right now, as the HDMI spec is going to change and is changing to the point where some TV won't be equipped to handle it etc.. I would wait on a new one, I am! I use my Marantz AVR-7005 with no issues with my C2, but when listening to critical music I roll out the Pre/Amp Amp combo or one of the good Int. Amps I have... Some good Int. Amps have a HT bypass button on them so you can listen to music and then engage the bypass button and use the Int. Amp as just a 2 channel Amp for Home Theater use.

Brands that I have used with Dynaudio that worked well are:

Marantz
Arcam
Anthem
Rotel

Again for 2 channel, I use other equipment. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a receiver right now, I would sell your Yamaha and look for some thing used with good power.
Question Looking to maybe get the 160's how are you Running two Channel and HT- I am currently going to upgrade may receiver once they figure 4k and new hdmi.. currently I have a denon 4801ci - I find it needs a little more power---
post #25443 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Couple of pix of my recently arrived Contour 3.4S LE in bubinga finish which I have set up temporarily in my workshop to run them in. The workshop is separate from the house and I can run them 24/7 at a good SPL without disturbing anyone. I'm breaking them in with a Rega Brio R amp (50W) fed from NAS via SBT and this little amp seems to do an admirable job of driving these 4 ohm speakers and initial sound is very pleasing. When they're broken in I'll be moving them into the lounge in the house where a new Moon amp (Neo 340i) awaits them. Will post some pix after the move. BTW these are not speakers you want to unbox without two pairs of hands. I did it on my own but would definitely recommend getting some help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8322-002.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	619905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8323-001.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	610.2 KB
ID:	619913  
post #25444 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post
Question Looking to maybe get the 160's how are you Running two Channel and HT- I am currently going to upgrade may receiver once they figure 4k and new hdmi.. currently I have a denon 4801ci - I find it needs a little more power---
I'll answer this question.

Personally, I use my Naim Uniti 2 for all 2-ch playback. The speakers are connected directly to the Naim Uniti. Now for movies, the Naim has a HT Bypass that can be assigned to an analog input(self explanatory in the owners manual). So when watching a movie or TV I select Analog 1 input where it allows the preamp outs of my marantz access to the Naim's power amp section bypassing the volume control and preamp section in the naim. The volume control now belongs to the marantz. The marantz acts as the prepro and the naim is now just a power amp.

That is one way to separate 2-ch and HT in the same setup. If you're going to use the AVR as your pre no matter what, simply buy a power amp. Emotiva, parasound, outlaw, ati, adcom, should all have units at reasonable costs.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #25445 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deargdoom View Post
Couple of pix of my recently arrived Contour 3.4S LE in bubinga finish which I have set up temporarily in my workshop to run them in. The workshop is separate from the house and I can run them 24/7 at a good SPL without disturbing anyone. I'm breaking them in with a Rega Brio R amp (50W) fed from NAS via SBT and this little amp seems to do an admirable job of driving these 4 ohm speakers and initial sound is very pleasing. When they're broken in I'll be moving them into the lounge in the house where a new Moon amp (Neo 340i) awaits them. Will post some pix after the move. BTW these are not speakers you want to unbox without two pairs of hands. I did it on my own but would definitely recommend getting some help!
If that's your workshop, I'd love to see the lounge! What a great escape.
post #25446 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ditch those grilles man!

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)

post #25447 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All reasons why I am glad I don't mess with HT setup! Face it, no matter how hard I try, I will never replicate watching "Interstellar" on IMAX in my living room! Though if I had Bill Gates' money, I would be a private IMAX home theater!

post #25448 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
sigs21: I use a Marantz receiver for my HT capabilities about 140 X 5 and it handles everything nicely. For more 2 channel purest mode I use a Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp along with my Oppo 105D supplying it on the digital side for music, which I have been extremely happy with. I too am waiting for the 4K HDMI spec to change before I buy and or upgrade. As far as receivers go, I wouldn't upgrade till some time next year, till they have the whole HDMI spec figured out. There will be a ton of pissed off customers when they find out they all need to upgrade TVs and receivers down the road, when it comes to the new spec. etc... You should have no issues with a decent receiver and those 160's.

deargdoom: Like the looks of those Contours, I have the new Confidence C2s in same color and love them!
deargdoom likes this.
post #25449 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Ditch those grilles man!
Just running them in, so not too concerned about grilles at the moment
post #25450 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post
If that's your workshop, I'd love to see the lounge! What a great escape.
I'ts my man cave as well as my workshop and I spend a lot of time there so I invested in it. Our lounge is quite modest by comparison!
post #25451 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't a bunch of you attend some audio show last weekend? With Focus XD to audition? REPORT people!

post #25452 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Didn't a bunch of you attend some audio show last weekend? With Focus XD to audition? REPORT people!
With your 260s, have you ever considered "upgrading", or are you satisfied to a point that you don't really wonder what else is out there?

post #25453 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
With your 260s, have you ever considered "upgrading", or are you satisfied to a point that you don't really wonder what else is out there?
They don't really leave me wanting for much. I have said that several times. Is there a chance that the XD 600 is better and that I would love to own them? Sure, I'm a geek. More gadgets. Lovely! But realistically, I am very happy. My tweaking now will come on the side of DAC, amplification, maybe a new cable here or there.

I have compared the 260s at dealers with speakers costing 2x as much (Spendor, PMC Twenty) and the 260 still rule the day for me. Mind you I have not heard the 340/380. The Fact.8 are great but not a slam-dunk over the 260s. Probably need a $20K Fact.12 or something from Avalon or Confidence C2P or C4P. But to consider any of them, I need a new job...

There is good reason that there a few 260 owners here. Because I agree that the model sits as some cross-section of distinct value within the lineup.

As I am sure have read the 6moons review...

Quote:
High-end audio is an enigmatic category with certain contractual sonic expectations which are almost exclusively associated with high prices. This reflects the nearly unalterable fact that almost everything good is also expensive (whilst expense per se doesn’t guarantee quality). The Focus 260 doesn’t rewrite this interdependence. But listening to them we won’t want to change anything in our system. I’ll put it this way. If I had to choose from between various loudspeakers from this manufacturer, even if my search might ultimately not end with the Focus it would most definitely begin with it. If we haven’t yet listened to this range, we know absolutely nothing about Dyaudio A.D. 2011. As such the Dynaudio Focus 260 receives our Red Fingerprint distinction.
amatuerholic likes this.

post #25454 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
They don't really leave me wanting for much. I have said that several times. Is there a chance that the XD 600 is better and that I would love to own them? Sure, I'm a geek. More gadgets. Lovely! But realistically, I am very happy. My tweaking now will come on the side of DAC, amplification, maybe a new cable here or there.

I have compared the 260s at dealers with speakers costing 2x as much (Spendor, PMC Twenty) and the 260 still rule the day for me. Mind you I have not heard the 340/380. The Fact.8 are great but not a slam-dunk over the 260s. Probably need a $20K Fact.12 or something from Avalon or Confidence C2P or C4P. But to consider any of them, I need a new job...

There is good reason that there a few 260 owners here. Because I agree that the model sits as some cross-section of distinct value within the lineup.

As I am sure have read the 6moons review...
Is there new amplification coming soon?
post #25455 of 25470 Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I'll say this, the 260s don't leave me wanting to upgrade at all. Adding the Naim Uniti2 was the best investment to add to them. The U2 is such an upgrade over the XS I'm in pure heaven. I honestly think this will be the setup I have for years to come.
brickyardz and amatuerholic like this.

post #25456 of 25470 Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Yes, I have an N100. I held off on these streaming solutions (and stuck to my trusty, old Squeezeboxes and PC builds) for the longest time, because most of them a) had hard drives for storage...which I didn't want, because they're noisy in the room and I already have all my files on an NAS. And b) they didn't integrate with a streaming service, like TIDAL, Spotify, etc.

The N100, solved both of those issues for me; so I took the plunge. Fit and finish is what's to be expected, of a $2500 unit; in other words, excellent. And SQ is outstanding.

Functionality...and what we're talking about, is the Conductor remote app; has great, great potential...and looks like a million bucks, and is very intuitive and powerful. But...it still has its quirks. They just released, 2.0.0; so that took some strides...and they do updates, very frequently (like once a week). So I'm confident it will ramp-up quickly, and be a quality, quality purchase.

BTW...the TIDAL integration is excellent!

Well I finally got my X100. It is just WOW. This is quite a piece of hardware. I have found a new favorite demo track Stevie Ray Vaughan:Tin Pan Alley in 176Khz and XD600s is crazy good
Spurrier Sucks likes this.

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #25457 of 25470 Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Gorgeous. Love the 3.4s. You're a lucky man.
Mr. Integration likes this.

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #25458 of 25470 Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I got lucky, and found a Vega at a good price And love it!
What luck? I was like "Hey CD, cheapest vega ever" and you were like "should have it by the weekend...."

Why can't we list equipment in our signature? How odd...
post #25459 of 25470 Old 03-25-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
What luck? I was like "Hey CD, cheapest vega ever" and you were like "should have it by the weekend...."
What are friends for? To help you spend your money!

District Account Representative - Mid-Atlantic
Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #25460 of 25470 Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Reports are in that the best HiFi system in the world has been built according to scientists. It contains a whopping 2,405 separate pieces! OMG!

post #25461 of 25470 Old 03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Happy Friday people

post #25462 of 25470 Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Happy Friday people

That doesn't look like an XS 2!
callas01 and amatuerholic like this.
post #25463 of 25470 Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Happy Friday people

For some reason I cant see anything other then a SuperNait 2!!

post #25464 of 25470 Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Eargasmmmmmmm!!!!

Still (feat. Esmé Patterson) by Esmé Patterson & William Ryan Fritch on TIDAL!!!

I've never heard a better setup anywhere in any dealer than what I've got going in my living room right now! I am trying my best to not over-exaggerate but that is how I feel right now!!!

Last edited by GTaudiophile; 03-29-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #25465 of 25470 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OMG! OMG! OMG!

Eargasmmmmmmm!!!!

Still (feat. Esmé Patterson) by Esmé Patterson & William Ryan Fritch on TIDAL!!!

I've never heard a better setup anywhere in any dealer than what I've got going in my living room right now! I am trying my best to not over-exaggerate but that is how I feel right now!!!
That's great to hear! That's how I've been feeling since I've traded in for the Uniti 2.

post #25466 of 25470 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 544
I just heard on the news this morning that Tidal is a Jay-Z creation? First I'd heard that. "Officially" launches today.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #25467 of 25470 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
OMG! OMG! OMG!

Eargasmmmmmmm!!!!

Yep! a few beers will will do that to you, although I'm a Guinness man myself.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #25468 of 25470 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

^Rob: I was NOT drinking when I posted that last night.

post #25469 of 25470 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I just heard on the news this morning that Tidal is a Jay-Z creation? First I'd heard that. "Officially" launches today.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Jay-Z bought it from the Swedes. Not sure what that means for its future as a streaming service.

I frankly love it.

And I thank Dynaudio for the 6-month 'free-to-me' trial.

post #25470 of 25470 Old Today, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How do you guys run your streaming audio? I would like to run mine coaxially into my speakers as they will then handle the conversion til audio. Do I need a special soundcard for that in my laptop or what possibities are there?
I am planning on using WiMP.

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer, Creek Evolution 2 CD player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore