Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 864 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 694Likes
post #25891 of 25896 Unread Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Callas had both the 160s and 260s, maybe he can give you some thoughts?

Oh, and this:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...60-loudspeaker

I thought this part was slightly amusing given the recent purchase, "You can't fake this or move it to China?although no people are so passionate about good sound than the Chinese. When truly great Chinese hi-fi emerges (and it will), will it be boutique, like the finest Japanese?"

Last edited by amatuerholic; Yesterday at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25892 of 25896 Unread Yesterday, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post
In line with the topic above, does anyone have experience with the Focus 140 (what I currently own) and the Focus 260 (on order), in the same room using the same ancillary equipment? I've only heard them separately... And I am making a leap of faith that the Focus 260 will play well with my current system/room.

Is Focus 260 "brighter" (as described above in regards to the 160) when compared to the 140? I thought it slightly darker (once again in a different room with different equipment)... Any thoughts on this would be welcome and appreciated.
I directly compared the X12 vs. the 140. The Excite had a certain coherence and sparkle, especially in the higher registers that I personally preferred. With the X16 being marketed as the X12 but with lower bass, I chose the X16. The Focus 160 took that coherence and sparkle to another level entirely; the 260 then tweaked it even more, adding more emphasis to the mids and especially the bass.
amatuerholic likes this.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #25893 of 25896 Unread Yesterday, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I'm using a Carver m1.0t with a C2 pre. The speakers are from a show, and they've been in his store for a few months now.

I'm not sure exactly how many hours they have on them, but I would imagine they've been fairly run in at this point. I'm tempted to buy them and keep them for a while, and sell them later once I want something different. The biggest competition at this point would be a pair of Scansonic MB 2.5s.
I look forward to that comparison. Something tells me the 160 will hold its own.

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)

post #25894 of 25896 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I look forward to that comparison. Something tells me the 160 will hold its own.
As it should; the price point is fairly similar as well. I think at that point it would be "different" instead of better, something based on preference as opposed to pure superiority.

I've been listening for about an hour at fairly low volumes, around 60db, and my ears started ringing around 25-30 minutes. It's just vocals, so I'm not sure what's going on. This never happened with the 140s unless I cranked them for a while; the whole experience is a bit frustrating since I really wanted a pair of 160s or 260s for the longest time.

The plan is moving towards buying a pair of 2.5s, and seeing if my dealer will let me compare with the 160s and then keep the pair I like better.

At this point, I would definitely say that the 160s are more realistic sounding than the 140s.

Last edited by amatuerholic; Yesterday at 10:33 PM.
post #25895 of 25896 Unread Today, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Again I wonder about your source/amplification. Maybe your combo is treble-forward? Can you try them with something else?

post #25896 of 25896 Unread Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
As it should; the price point is fairly similar as well. I think at that point it would be "different" instead of better, something based on preference as opposed to pure superiority.

I've been listening for about an hour at fairly low volumes, around 60db, and my ears started ringing around 25-30 minutes. It's just vocals, so I'm not sure what's going on. This never happened with the 140s unless I cranked them for a while; the whole experience is a bit frustrating since I really wanted a pair of 160s or 260s for the longest time.

The plan is moving towards buying a pair of 2.5s, and seeing if my dealer will let me compare with the 160s and then keep the pair I like better.

At this point, I would definitely say that the 160s are more realistic sounding than the 140s.
Interesting that your ears started ringing so quickly. I can sit and listen for hours, or like last night watching American Sniper at -10 dbs on my marantz with no issues.

Yesterday one of my part time guys came to use my work truck cause we have a customer that can't go 3-days without being stocked up, well anyways his dad bought one of my older systems and his brother-in-law has another setup (DIYer) and he was liking the build quality of the Dyns. So I pointed to the rack and said pick something out, he wanted Skyfall, so we jumped scenes between very quiet and action scenes and he was said "even loud they sound so clear and detailed, mine sounds like a mess when it's loud. I also like they aren't bugging my ears like my BILs does." Then I played Chris Cornells Songbook Black Hole Sun, because I know he's a big soundgarden fan, and he says "I've heard this song 100 times and it's never sounded like that." Like what? "Like so live and I can hear the pick and steel strings, his breathing, the reverb and IDK, but it seems like I can hear the building he's in."

Now he wants to come over for a movie night. I told him bring his GF, that way we can meet her before we all go see incubus in concert this summer.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore