Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 864 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 701Likes

post #25891 of 25912 Old 05-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I look forward to that comparison. Something tells me the 160 will hold its own.
As it should; the price point is fairly similar as well. I think at that point it would be "different" instead of better, something based on preference as opposed to pure superiority.

I've been listening for about an hour at fairly low volumes, around 60db, and my ears started ringing around 25-30 minutes. It's just vocals, so I'm not sure what's going on. This never happened with the 140s unless I cranked them for a while; the whole experience is a bit frustrating since I really wanted a pair of 160s or 260s for the longest time.

The plan is moving towards buying a pair of 2.5s, and seeing if my dealer will let me compare with the 160s and then keep the pair I like better.

At this point, I would definitely say that the 160s are more realistic sounding than the 140s.

Last edited by amatuerholic; 05-23-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25892 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Again I wonder about your source/amplification. Maybe your combo is treble-forward? Can you try them with something else?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #25893 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
As it should; the price point is fairly similar as well. I think at that point it would be "different" instead of better, something based on preference as opposed to pure superiority.

I've been listening for about an hour at fairly low volumes, around 60db, and my ears started ringing around 25-30 minutes. It's just vocals, so I'm not sure what's going on. This never happened with the 140s unless I cranked them for a while; the whole experience is a bit frustrating since I really wanted a pair of 160s or 260s for the longest time.

The plan is moving towards buying a pair of 2.5s, and seeing if my dealer will let me compare with the 160s and then keep the pair I like better.

At this point, I would definitely say that the 160s are more realistic sounding than the 140s.
Interesting that your ears started ringing so quickly. I can sit and listen for hours, or like last night watching American Sniper at -10 dbs on my marantz with no issues.

Yesterday one of my part time guys came to use my work truck cause we have a customer that can't go 3-days without being stocked up, well anyways his dad bought one of my older systems and his brother-in-law has another setup (DIYer) and he was liking the build quality of the Dyns. So I pointed to the rack and said pick something out, he wanted Skyfall, so we jumped scenes between very quiet and action scenes and he was said "even loud they sound so clear and detailed, mine sounds like a mess when it's loud. I also like they aren't bugging my ears like my BILs does." Then I played Chris Cornells Songbook Black Hole Sun, because I know he's a big soundgarden fan, and he says "I've heard this song 100 times and it's never sounded like that." Like what? "Like so live and I can hear the pick and steel strings, his breathing, the reverb and IDK, but it seems like I can hear the building he's in."

Now he wants to come over for a movie night. I told him bring his GF, that way we can meet her before we all go see incubus in concert this summer.
GTaudiophile and amatuerholic like this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #25894 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Interesting that your ears started ringing so quickly. I can sit and listen for hours, or like last night watching American Sniper at -10 dbs on my marantz with no issues.

Yesterday one of my part time guys came to use my work truck cause we have a customer that can't go 3-days without being stocked up, well anyways his dad bought one of my older systems and his brother-in-law has another setup (DIYer) and he was liking the build quality of the Dyns. So I pointed to the rack and said pick something out, he wanted Skyfall, so we jumped scenes between very quiet and action scenes and he was said "even loud they sound so clear and detailed, mine sounds like a mess when it's loud. I also like they aren't bugging my ears like my BILs does." Then I played Chris Cornells Songbook Black Hole Sun, because I know he's a big soundgarden fan, and he says "I've heard this song 100 times and it's never sounded like that." Like what? "Like so live and I can hear the pick and steel strings, his breathing, the reverb and IDK, but it seems like I can hear the building he's in."
I think I'm getting used to the sound a bit more now, less ringing today! The big thing I hope is that no one takes this as me bashing Dynaudio; I'm just giving my thoughts as I have them.

I would again point out that these sound much more realistic, but I find myself wincing at a few of the high peaks that I didn't wince at before. I'd be willing to bet at this point, switching back to the 140s will make me feel that the earlier Dyns are slightly muddy, honky, and veiled.

post #25895 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think I'm getting used to the sound a bit more now, less ringing today! The big thing I hope is that no one takes this as me bashing Dynaudio; I'm just giving my thoughts as I have them.

I would again point out that these sound much more realistic, but I find myself wincing at a few of the high peaks that I didn't wince at before. I'd be willing to bet at this point, switching back to the 140s will make me feel that the earlier Dyns are slightly muddy, honky, and veiled.
Never thought you were bashing the 160s. I think it's more about getting famiar with a different sound and the openness of them. I think they're similar to the S25s and Sapphires sound signature, based on what I heard listening to the sapphires at my dealer. I originally thought they were bright also, but I eventually found that while they're a more tipped up sound, it was also very open.

I do think you will find the 140s dark and the bass slightly slower sounding.
amatuerholic likes this.

post #25896 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Never thought you were bashing the 160s. I think it's more about getting famiar with a different sound and the openness of them. I think they're similar to the S25s and Sapphires sound signature, based on what I heard listening to the sapphires at my dealer. I originally thought they were bright also, but I eventually found that while they're a more tipped up sound, it was also very open.

I do think you will find the 140s dark and the bass slightly slower sounding.
Just reinstalled my 140s. Muffled, emphasized mids, but warmer and less fatiguing. The bass is comparable between the two. The sound stage with the 160s feels larger with both speakers in the exact location, but I think that might be a product of the extended highs.

I wonder if I'll have to accept fatigue with more accurate highs. I never felt that I got fatigued after listening to my dad's Harbeths at higher volumes but was still able to enjoy a very clear sound without any hump in the mids.

Last edited by amatuerholic; 05-24-2015 at 03:49 PM.
post #25897 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
I never felt that I got fatigued after listening to my dad's Harbeths at higher volumes but was still able to enjoy a very clear sound without any hump in the mids.
Your dad has Harbies? What flavor??

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Auralic Vega>Aesthetix Calypso>Merrill Audio THOR>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #25898 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 103
As I said before any fatigue I/she had disappeared after leaving the HK for NAIM. The wife really has no idea what's going on to that detail. She may see a new box in the cabinet but then her complaints about high range frequencies at high volumes also disappeared.
COmusicaddict likes this.
post #25899 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Your dad has Harbies? What flavor??
30.1. Do you still have yours?

post #25900 of 25912 Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
30.1. Do you still have yours?
I wish I wish I had the room, and budget...for 10 pairs of speakers!
COmusicaddict likes this.

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Auralic Vega>Aesthetix Calypso>Merrill Audio THOR>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s

post #25901 of 25912 Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Now he wants to come over for a movie night. I told him bring his GF, that way we can meet her before we all go see incubus in concert this summer.
What Marantz unit do you use? I have the 7005 receiver, I plan on updating to the 4K model once they make the decision on the new HDMI spec, otherwise a lot of people are going to be standing out in the cold when the new spec comes with new receivers and you find out your HDMI cable or TV won't work with it, I hope there is a way to make it backwards compatible but I doubt it. So first comes the new 4K projector then receiver etc.. So far the Marantz seems to do the best with the Dynaudios for HT, at least for me.
post #25902 of 25912 Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
What Marantz unit do you use? I have the 7005 receiver, I plan on updating to the 4K model once they make the decision on the new HDMI spec, otherwise a lot of people are going to be standing out in the cold when the new spec comes with new receivers and you find out your HDMI cable or TV won't work with it, I hope there is a way to make it backwards compatible but I doubt it. So first comes the new 4K projector then receiver etc.. So far the Marantz seems to do the best with the Dynaudios for HT, at least for me.
I have the 7007. I don't really care about 4k, I won't be jumping on it right away. I'll be a late adopter; ironically I was an early adopter of Bly-Ray tho!

I have mixed emotions on the marantz, I liked that the Integra was more dynamic if only a little leaner sounding. The marantz is punchier, warmer but requires it to be turned up higher to reach the same dynamic level. For instance, -14 dbs on the Integra is like -10 dbs on the marantz.

post #25903 of 25912 Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Callas01: I have both Marantz and Integra which is up at my Lake House, which it is hooked up to a 7.1 system. Just doesn't get much use, but I plan on going up this week to do some maintenence so I will have a chance to crank it up.
post #25904 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Black Dynaudio Stand 4s for sale. They're in near-perfect condition; PM me or reply for details!

post #25905 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Black Dynaudio Stand 4s for sale. They're in near-perfect condition; PM me or reply for details!
Not sure if this will help, or hurt AHs sale; but they used to be mine.
amatuerholic likes this.

SYSTEMS-

post #25906 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Does this mean the 2.5s have been ordered?
amatuerholic likes this.
post #25907 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Does this mean the 2.5s have been ordered?
I guess we'll find out

post #25908 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I wish I wish I had the room, and budget...for 10 pairs of speakers!
Me too that would be cool One day I plan to do a room with 22.4.4 for ATMOS, AURO 3D and DTS:X
post #25909 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Has any one compared these

BM6 mkIII

The BM6 mkIII builds on the success of the BM6A MKII design, re-voiced around Dynaudio's next generation waveguide. Designed and often chosen as a bridge to mid-field, its small size belies its ability to deliver high SPL and broad frequency response, while the hand-crafted drivers deliver superior performance.

• Extended excursion 7" woofer with pure aluminum voice coil.
• 1.1" soft dome tweeter with pure aluminum voice coil.
• 100W LF and 50W HF Class AB amplifier.
• Bundled with IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R200 speaker stand for decoupling and proper angling.
• Optional TC Electronic Level Pilot or BMC-2 for precision level control
• Made in Denmark

with these

Xeo 4

post #25910 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

wse: I have heard both, not side by side but the BM6 MKii is more of a near field speaker and does well when listening close up. The Excite X14A are also very nice.
post #25911 of 25912 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
wse: I have heard both, not side by side but the BM6 MKii is more of a near field speaker and does well when listening close up. The Excite X14A are also very nice.

How close would 7 feet be ok?
post #25912 of 25912 Old Today, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

wse: Well Near Field means close, more like a arms length away. If your going to be 7 feet would definitely go with the Exite X14A or Xeo4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page