Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 865 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 705Likes
post #25921 of 25929 Unread Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 178
wse:

Here just get a couple of these and you should be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11249560_912318512145202_7279107056811949120_n.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	743505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25922 of 25929 Unread Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Mmm? http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models

On another note. I finally got my speakers placed right and got the right settings for the room correction thingey on the back. The bass is so TIGHTTTTTTTTTTT now and the bass was the only thing I wasn't completely sold on, well I am now.
Can I ask what your room size is? Also, what room correction device are you using?
post #25923 of 25929 Unread Today, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a pair of Focus 160s which I'm very happy with. I have only one listening/viewing room for both music and HT so I have been using an excellent Primare pre/pro for both duties and using my fantastic Redgum integrated (350 wpc) for the fronts and my Primare multi channel power amp for the centre (C210) and rears.
My problem is that, although the Primare is hard to beat for music (it was produced to satisfy both demands) it always seems to be playing up for one reason or another and I can't be bothered trying to fix the problems any more and just play everything in stereo including videos.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a pre/pro which is a solid music performer. A receiver would do also but I would still run my fronts through the Redgum which in my opinion is unsurpassed. I live in Australia where choices are limited but I have been reading about the Anthem range and the MRX 310 seems to get some good reviews. I only need 5 channels and the 310 seems to do everything its bigger brothers do but with lower power so that's not an issue.
Has anyone had any experience with the Anthem range for its music qualities and are there any others anyone could recommend ?

To Amateurholic: interesting that you mention that the Focus 160 could sound a bit tipped up. When I first got mine I felt that too (but I was comparing them with my Quad ESLs which I've got rid of - no good for HT unless you're prepared to spend a fortune on getting them repaired whenever there's an explosion in the film). I was using silver cables at the time and I decided to try some cheapo van den hul I had lying around and presto the sound smoothed out beautifully. So perhaps you could try some different cables which are more "mellow". Just a suggestion.
GTaudiophile and amatuerholic like this.
post #25924 of 25929 Unread Today, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boratri View Post
To Amateurholic: interesting that you mention that the Focus 160 could sound a bit tipped up. When I first got mine I felt that too (but I was comparing them with my Quad ESLs which I've got rid of - no good for HT unless you're prepared to spend a fortune on getting them repaired whenever there's an explosion in the film). I was using silver cables at the time and I decided to try some cheapo van den hul I had lying around and presto the sound smoothed out beautifully. So perhaps you could try some different cables which are more "mellow". Just a suggestion.
I'm not even sure that it was tipped up. I might be so used to the Focus 140s and how laid back they sound that I want things to feel similar with just a bit more on the highs. The thing I keep going back to mentally is how much I liked the sound of my dad's Harbeths (30.1s); they sounded super smooth and easygoing, with sweet highs which brought out detail, but avoided giving me fatigue. I didn't want to get them due to the price, and ended up going with a pair of Scansonic MB 2.5s which will arrive next week.

The 160s definitely impressed with their dynamics and how real everything sounded, but it just wasn't for me. (Disappointing as the pair was dealer demo in gloss black, and I had the matching Stand4s from Dyn).

Speaking of the stands, they're available if anyone's interested.

Last edited by amatuerholic; Today at 08:53 AM.
post #25925 of 25929 Unread Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Fellow Dyn- and Music Fans!

I had the pleasure of seeing Patrick Watson perform at the 9:30 Club in DC for the third time. This was his best concert to date.

Check out...

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #25926 of 25929 Unread Today, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Fellow Dyn- and Music Fans!

I had the pleasure of seeing Patrick Watson perform at the 9:30 Club in DC for the third time.
GTa, where do you reside?
GTaudiophile likes this.

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Auralic Vega>Aesthetix Calypso>Merrill Audio THOR>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #25927 of 25929 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I'm not even sure that it was tipped up. I might be so used to the Focus 140s and how laid back they sound that I want things to feel similar with just a bit more on the highs. The thing I keep going back to mentally is how much I liked the sound of my dad's Harbeths (30.1s); they sounded super smooth and easygoing, with sweet highs which brought out detail, but avoided giving me fatigue. I didn't want to get them due to the price, and ended up going with a pair of Scansonic MB 2.5s which will arrive next week.

The 160s definitely impressed with their dynamics and how real everything sounded, but it just wasn't for me. (Disappointing as the pair was dealer demo in gloss black, and I had the matching Stand4s from Dyn).

Speaking of the stands, they're available if anyone's interested.
Sorry to come off as critical but I have to wonder if you went into your F160 home demo with the mental precondition of already having decided to buy the 2.5s and therefore you were consciously (or subconsciously) looking to fault the Dynaudios. I also anticipate your MB-2.5 "reviews" to be conversely glowing...

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #25928 of 25929 Unread Today, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Sorry to come off as critical but I have to wonder if you went into your F160 home demo with the mental precondition of already having decided to buy the 2.5s and therefore you were consciously (or subconsciously) looking to fault the Dynaudios. I also anticipate your MB-2.5 "reviews" to be conversely glowing...
I'll bet the coming review will be glowing too. If it's a smooth tweeter he's looking for he found it with the 2.5's. There will be no harshness, perceived or real from them.
post #25929 of 25929 Unread Today, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Trust me, I'd much rather have great speakers and $1,000 in my pockets!

If the highs aren't any better on the 2.5s, you'll see a pair of near-new 2.5s in black for sale, and I'll go back and buy the 160s.

edit:
But in all seriousness, you could very well be right. I would hope that I would be objective enough to listen carefully and not let any preconceptions affect my judgement. I also try as hard as I can to make very few decisions based on emotion.

The biggest reason I feel that bias would be less likely is because I wanted the Focus 160s or 260s for the past couple years. If anything, that would make me irrationally want them or like them more.

Either way, if I end up spending the extra cash and just love them, then it's worth the extra money, right?

Also, I'm fine with you disagreeing with my assessment since we all have different opinions, but I didn't really appreciate the implication from your last sentence. Then again, I have no idea what sort of tone you're using with what you said, since it's the internet and I have no idea how you speak in person, haha. Either way, Dynaudio makes a great product, and I'm sure Scansonic does as well.

Last edited by amatuerholic; Today at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore