Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 865 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 707Likes
post #25921 of 25943 Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 180
wse:

Here just get a couple of these and you should be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11249560_912318512145202_7279107056811949120_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	743505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25922 of 25943 Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Mmm? http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models

On another note. I finally got my speakers placed right and got the right settings for the room correction thingey on the back. The bass is so TIGHTTTTTTTTTTT now and the bass was the only thing I wasn't completely sold on, well I am now.
Can I ask what your room size is? Also, what room correction device are you using?
post #25923 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a pair of Focus 160s which I'm very happy with. I have only one listening/viewing room for both music and HT so I have been using an excellent Primare pre/pro for both duties and using my fantastic Redgum integrated (350 wpc) for the fronts and my Primare multi channel power amp for the centre (C210) and rears.
My problem is that, although the Primare is hard to beat for music (it was produced to satisfy both demands) it always seems to be playing up for one reason or another and I can't be bothered trying to fix the problems any more and just play everything in stereo including videos.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a pre/pro which is a solid music performer. A receiver would do also but I would still run my fronts through the Redgum which in my opinion is unsurpassed. I live in Australia where choices are limited but I have been reading about the Anthem range and the MRX 310 seems to get some good reviews. I only need 5 channels and the 310 seems to do everything its bigger brothers do but with lower power so that's not an issue.
Has anyone had any experience with the Anthem range for its music qualities and are there any others anyone could recommend ?

To Amateurholic: interesting that you mention that the Focus 160 could sound a bit tipped up. When I first got mine I felt that too (but I was comparing them with my Quad ESLs which I've got rid of - no good for HT unless you're prepared to spend a fortune on getting them repaired whenever there's an explosion in the film). I was using silver cables at the time and I decided to try some cheapo van den hul I had lying around and presto the sound smoothed out beautifully. So perhaps you could try some different cables which are more "mellow". Just a suggestion.
GTaudiophile and amatuerholic like this.
post #25924 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boratri View Post
To Amateurholic: interesting that you mention that the Focus 160 could sound a bit tipped up. When I first got mine I felt that too (but I was comparing them with my Quad ESLs which I've got rid of - no good for HT unless you're prepared to spend a fortune on getting them repaired whenever there's an explosion in the film). I was using silver cables at the time and I decided to try some cheapo van den hul I had lying around and presto the sound smoothed out beautifully. So perhaps you could try some different cables which are more "mellow". Just a suggestion.
I'm not even sure that it was tipped up. I might be so used to the Focus 140s and how laid back they sound that I want things to feel similar with just a bit more on the highs. The thing I keep going back to mentally is how much I liked the sound of my dad's Harbeths (30.1s); they sounded super smooth and easygoing, with sweet highs which brought out detail, but avoided giving me fatigue. I didn't want to get them due to the price, and ended up going with a pair of Scansonic MB 2.5s which will arrive next week.

The 160s definitely impressed with their dynamics and how real everything sounded, but it just wasn't for me. (Disappointing as the pair was dealer demo in gloss black, and I had the matching Stand4s from Dyn).

Speaking of the stands, they're available if anyone's interested.

Last edited by amatuerholic; 05-30-2015 at 08:53 AM.
post #25925 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Fellow Dyn- and Music Fans!

I had the pleasure of seeing Patrick Watson perform at the 9:30 Club in DC for the third time. This was his best concert to date.

Check out...

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #25926 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Fellow Dyn- and Music Fans!

I had the pleasure of seeing Patrick Watson perform at the 9:30 Club in DC for the third time.
GTa, where do you reside?
GTaudiophile likes this.

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Auralic Vega>Aesthetix Calypso>Merrill Audio THOR>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #25927 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I'm not even sure that it was tipped up. I might be so used to the Focus 140s and how laid back they sound that I want things to feel similar with just a bit more on the highs. The thing I keep going back to mentally is how much I liked the sound of my dad's Harbeths (30.1s); they sounded super smooth and easygoing, with sweet highs which brought out detail, but avoided giving me fatigue. I didn't want to get them due to the price, and ended up going with a pair of Scansonic MB 2.5s which will arrive next week.

The 160s definitely impressed with their dynamics and how real everything sounded, but it just wasn't for me. (Disappointing as the pair was dealer demo in gloss black, and I had the matching Stand4s from Dyn).

Speaking of the stands, they're available if anyone's interested.
Sorry to come off as critical but I have to wonder if you went into your F160 home demo with the mental precondition of already having decided to buy the 2.5s and therefore you were consciously (or subconsciously) looking to fault the Dynaudios. I also anticipate your MB-2.5 "reviews" to be conversely glowing...

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)

post #25928 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Sorry to come off as critical but I have to wonder if you went into your F160 home demo with the mental precondition of already having decided to buy the 2.5s and therefore you were consciously (or subconsciously) looking to fault the Dynaudios. I also anticipate your MB-2.5 "reviews" to be conversely glowing...
I'll bet the coming review will be glowing too. If it's a smooth tweeter he's looking for he found it with the 2.5's. There will be no harshness, perceived or real from them.
post #25929 of 25943 Old 05-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Trust me, I'd much rather have great speakers and $1,000 in my pockets!

If the highs aren't any better on the 2.5s, you'll see a pair of near-new 2.5s in black for sale, and I'll go back and buy the 160s.

edit:
But in all seriousness, you could very well be right. I would hope that I would be objective enough to listen carefully and not let any preconceptions affect my judgement. I also try as hard as I can to make very few decisions based on emotion.

The biggest reason I feel that bias would be less likely is because I wanted the Focus 160s or 260s for the past couple years. If anything, that would make me irrationally want them or like them more.

Either way, if I end up spending the extra cash and just love them, then it's worth the extra money, right?

Also, I'm fine with you disagreeing with my assessment since we all have different opinions, but I didn't really appreciate the implication from your last sentence. Then again, I have no idea what sort of tone you're using with what you said, since it's the internet and I have no idea how you speak in person, haha. Either way, Dynaudio makes a great product, and I'm sure Scansonic does as well.

Last edited by amatuerholic; 05-30-2015 at 01:14 PM.
post #25930 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I was nervous yesterday walking into the Dynaudio room that the poor reviews from axpona about there setup would come true at THE Show in Irvine. When I walked in I was pleased to see that them showing the XD400. There was a nice center image that extended above the speakers and a few inches outside the speakers, but limited I think due to the room. Mike asked me if the music was good and I said well I don't expect much at audio shows I'm more of a rocker. Mike out on The XX, a band I know, and then Lorde "Royals". When the bass would hit, it had lots of authority. During that song a guy walked in and standing right behind me listened for a few minutes. And asked Mike, is that a subwoofer between those 2 speakers? Mike replied no it's an ottoman that they left in the room. The guys reply was that's just those 2 speakers; that's incredible. He sat down and started listening for a little while. I finished up my conversation with Mike and left, the guy was still there.

XD400s vs Focus 260s.... Yea everyone wants to know! I'd say the performance aspects, detail, bass, mids, imaging and soundstage all felt really the same. However, the tone seemed a little more relaxed and balanced more towards the Confidence sound. Maybe it's the harder surfaces in my room that haven't been treated yet or that my room is much larger. But the speakers sounded just amazing. This was in my top 5 of speakers I heard yesterday, and very closely my top 3; #1 YG Acoustic Sonja 1.3, #2 Raidho D1... Next is basically a tie between the Langston 217 the XD400 and probably my 5th was the Focal Aria 926/Cambridge audio combo and probably the least expensive setup I heard and these young guys that own the shop (27-31 yrs old) were fun, highly energetic, did it right and Fleetwood Mac was exceptional sounding, this was such a great room to be in.

Garman and GTaudiophile like this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #25931 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

callas01: Good write up! When I was at Axpona they had the 600 playing and the room wasn't setup all that great, way to small and too many chairs. In fact most of the Dynaudio rooms where setup all that great with the exception of one, and they where not taking suggestions on music which they needed. Just curious if you saw Border Dog (Aaron) at the Show?

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
post #25932 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
callas01: Good write up! When I was at Axpona they had the 600 playing and the room wasn't setup all that great, way to small and too many chairs. In fact most of the Dynaudio rooms where setup all that great with the exception of one, and they where not taking suggestions on music which they needed. Just curious if you saw Border Dog (Aaron) at the Show?
I think they did a good job setting up the room.

I did see Aaron. We talked for about an hour before I quickly checked out the yg acoustics room and left. He has some awesome looking furniture for sale. If you have the budget, worth the money.

post #25933 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I was nervous yesterday walking into the Dynaudio room that the poor reviews from axpona about there setup would come true at THE Show in Irvine. When I walked in I was pleased to see that them showing the XD400. There was a nice center image that extended above the speakers and a few inches outside the speakers, but limited I think due to the room. Mike asked me if the music was good and I said well I don't expect much at audio shows I'm more of a rocker. Mike out on The XX, a band I know, and then Lorde "Royals". When the bass would hit, it had lots of authority. During that song a guy walked in and standing right behind me listened for a few minutes. And asked Mike, is that a subwoofer between those 2 speakers? Mike replied no it's an ottoman that they left in the room. The guys reply was that's just those 2 speakers; that's incredible. He sat down and started listening for a little while. I finished up my conversation with Mike and left, the guy was still there.

XD400s vs Focus 260s.... Yea everyone wants to know! I'd say the performance aspects, detail, bass, mids, imaging and soundstage all felt really the same. However, the tone seemed a little more relaxed and balanced more towards the Confidence sound. Maybe it's the harder surfaces in my room that haven't been treated yet or that my room is much larger. But the speakers sounded just amazing. This was in my top 5 of speakers I heard yesterday, and very closely my top 3; #1 YG Acoustic Sonja 1.3, #2 Raidho D1... Next is basically a tie between the Langston 217 the XD400 and probably my 5th was the Focal Aria 926/Cambridge audio combo and probably the least expensive setup I heard and these young guys that own the shop (27-31 yrs old) were fun, highly energetic, did it right and Fleetwood Mac was exceptional sounding, this was such a great room to be in.

Too bad I couldn't make it!

post #25934 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
wse:

Here just get a couple of these and you should be good to go!
What are these!
post #25935 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
What are these!
Those are Dynaudio Customer studio Monitors, built specifically for listening up close.
post #25936 of 25943 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Too bad I couldn't make it!

I would have liked to hear the 200s as well. They look sweet there in the room.

post #25937 of 25943 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I noticed that the exact specs (crossover freq, low freq limit, etc.) are slightly different between the 260 and XD400. Also the internal amplifier is playing a role, I guess... Not surprised that they have a family sound and yet with a difference as well. Now I'm really curious about the Confidence sound...

And the picture makes abundantly clear: The Focus line could definitely use those footers!
post #25938 of 25943 Old Today, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my friend is now standing between a Hegel H80 and Creek Evolution 50A with an external DAC. (He didn't like the sound of the Rotel)

He current have some old B&W speakers (694 S2 from 2000) but wants to upgrade them when he gets a budget for it, which might be in a long time.

So what are your guys thoughts on this, I mean the amps.

I am going to help him audition the setup this weekend but would like if anyone have an oppinion or experience with any of this.

And to stay on topic, I will of course do "anything" to get him to buy Dynaudio once he needs new speakers hahah

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer, Creek Evolution 2 CD player
post #25939 of 25943 Old Today, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So did Dynaudio really lower the X34 price? $2800?
post #25940 of 25943 Old Today, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
So my friend is now standing between a Hegel H80 and Creek Evolution 50A with an external DAC. (He didn't like the sound of the Rotel)

He current have some old B&W speakers (694 S2 from 2000) but wants to upgrade them when he gets a budget for it, which might be in a long time.

So what are your guys thoughts on this, I mean the amps.

I am going to help him audition the setup this weekend but would like if anyone have an oppinion or experience with any of this.

And to stay on topic, I will of course do "anything" to get him to buy Dynaudio once he needs new speakers hahah

With Dynaudio Naim/Octave/Musical Fidelity and Hegel would be a good Choice. Creek is also good, but some times underpowered depending on what size room or how loud he wants to play it etc..

The DM/Excite or Focus series make some decent bookshelves.
post #25941 of 25943 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post
So did Dynaudio really lower the X34 price? $2800?
I am seeing it online for $2799.

post #25942 of 25943 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The prices are down because the Euro is down

post #25943 of 25943 Unread Today, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The 260s are down $500 to $4400 as well. The 340s are at $6500.

Hmm...wonder if dealer would honor $4900 F260 value + $1600 for F340 upgrade? Worth it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page