Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 873 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #26161 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by didge70 View Post
Interesting that you have bought Scansonic speakers. I had never heard of them until 2 weeks ago, but they're getting more popular. I'm going to demo them on Saturday. How would you describe the sound compared to Dynaudio?
I have a pair of neat iota's,which also have a ribbon tweeter.it definitely has tons of detail and is silky smooth!good luck with your demo

Cary audio cinema 12 ,focus xd 600,confidence centre,excite12,neat iota,Cary 500.1 monoblock,anthem mca-50,2 Jl-audio fathom 112s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26162 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I have a pair of neat iota's,which also have a ribbon tweeter.it definitely has tons of detail and is silky smooth!good luck with your demo
I'm a bit wary of ribbon tweeters, to be honest. I've had a pair of Elac FS 407 for the past year, which have the JET5 ribbon tweeter and it's true that they have lots of details and smooth highs, but unfortunately that makes the midrange a bit recessed, voices don't stand out as much. So after a while I only heard highs and lows and no midrange and they got on my nerves after long listening sessions. I hope the Scansonics are not like that.

That's why the Dynaudio Focus 260 or the XD400 interest me more now. Form what I've heard from the Dynaudio Excite X-38, they're a lot smoother and more coherent to listen to with an excellent midrange.

Another one I've heard briefly and impressed me is the new Audio Physic Avanti (for their 30th Jubilee).
amatuerholic likes this.
post #26163 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is the speed of the bass response or the Scansonic 2.5s. It is fast and was particularly noticeable when I first started using the speakers. My mind has worked its way around it by now but it's noticeable when you listen for it. A non-audiophile wouldn't pick up on it but I'd think most of us would hear it. It gives music a great sense of pace.
post #26164 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking at the Dynaudio Focus 260 too; I'm just hesitating because one dealer told me the Marantz PM-11S3 would be too slow an amplifier with the Focus 260. He said they needed an amp like Exposure, but unfortunately I can't demo my Marantz amp with the Focus 260.
Is it because the dealer is not local?

I'm confident that your $5k amp will be more than sufficient for the Focus 260. It may have a different shading, sound-wise, compared to the Exposure, but it will not sound "bad."
post #26165 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=didge70;35482290]I'm a bit wary of ribbon tweeters, to be honest. I've had a pair of Elac FS 407 for the past year, which have the JET5 ribbon tweeter and it's true that they have lots of details and smooth highs, but unfortunately that makes the midrange a bit recessed, voices don't stand out as much. So after a while I only heard highs and lows and no midrange and they got on my nerves after long listening sessions. I hope the Scansonics are not like that.
[QUOTE]

Scratch the Scansonics then. The Dyns I own will give you much louder vocals. But when measuring frequency response the Scansonic highs actually measure down a bit from the midrange so I don't think the midrange is being blown out. I do enjoy the Dyns more on certain pieces with vocals.
post #26166 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post
Is it because the dealer is not local?

I'm confident that your $5k amp will be more than sufficient for the Focus 260. It may have a different shading, sound-wise, compared to the Exposure, but it will not sound "bad."
The dealer is about a 4-hour drive away in another country, Germany, and Belgian dealers are not as easy-going when it comes to bringing your own amp or home demos.
post #26167 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I'm a bit wary of ribbon tweeters, to be honest. I've had a pair of Elac FS 407 for the past year, which have the JET5 ribbon tweeter and it's true that they have lots of details and smooth highs, but unfortunately that makes the midrange a bit recessed, voices don't stand out as much. So after a while I only heard highs and lows and no midrange and they got on my nerves after long listening sessions. I hope the Scansonics are not like that.

That's why the Dynaudio Focus 260 or the XD400 interest me more now. Form what I've heard from the Dynaudio Excite X-38, they're a lot smoother and more coherent to listen to with an excellent midrange.

Another one I've heard briefly and impressed me is the new Audio Physic Avanti (for their 30th Jubilee).
I use my iotas for side surrounds,so it's mostly ambient sound,they seem to do a good job with what I use them for.I would recommend a demo with the xd 400,s ,I am currently waiting for a pair of 600s to arrive(6 weeks)

Cary audio cinema 12 ,focus xd 600,confidence centre,excite12,neat iota,Cary 500.1 monoblock,anthem mca-50,2 Jl-audio fathom 112s
post #26168 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I use my iotas for side surrounds,so it's mostly ambient sound,they seem to do a good job with what I use them for.I would recommend a demo with the xd 400,s ,I am currently waiting for a pair of 600s to arrive(6 weeks)
Congrats on the 600s! Please let us know more when you get them in your system.
post #26169 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
If you have a chance to listen give the Scansonics a shot. I don't think there is a lack of mids but everyone has their preferences. Yes most Dyn's are a bit more forward in the mids. If Dyn's don't have enough in the mids there is always Klipsch YUK!!

The Marantz should be plenty for either Dyns or Scansonics. I drove Dyn C1 Originals and Sigs with an Octave V70SE and there was more than enough (actually there was more with the Octave than the Bryston B100sst).
post #26170 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 204
didge70: As Octa Stated the Scasonics 2.5 are great, but I would lump them into more of the Excites range, and they come close to some of the Focus series. They are a different breed of ribbon and very good, very similar to Magnepans Ribbons and very good for their size. I would say if your really looking for a great sounding mix, the Raidho D1/D2/D3 are in a whole different league and also very good, I almost went this route but it's hard to audition these speakers side by side as most dealers don't have both. I think the Focus 260 is very good, different sounding than the 2.5, not saying which is better but I prefer the more balanced Dynaudio has to give you when it comes to comparing the Scansonics and Dynaudio which I do daily, both are great, just think they are different. Let your own ears be the judge!
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #26171 of 26174 Old 07-02-2015, 03:29 PM

I stopped by my dealer today...he had my old focus 160s up and running in his demo room.He was a happy camper cause the day before...he sold a sim audio dac that he demo'd with them.This got me thinking about gear that you wish you would of kept.Back in the early 80,s my friend had pair of pioneer hpm 150's,they had a glass super tweeter and I believe it was a 15 inch woofer.i just remember how good I thought they sounded...playing Neil young...rust never sleeps(on a turntable)I wonder how they would compare to Dynaudio today...damn I'm getting old.This was back before cd-players were even out.I'm sure everyone has that one piece of gear that they miss right?

post #26172 of 26174 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Fair but a hair high price for C2 MKII
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...9-kettering-oh
post #26173 of 26174 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 310
No reserve. Someone will get a good deal on these.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...-coral-spri-fl
post #26174 of 26174 Old Today, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Anyone here, have a DAC with I2S in?

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100H>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Ayre AX-7>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club