Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 879 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 767Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26341 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
What is the cost compared to a Mac mini? What does the Aurender do better than the Mac? How much storage is there and can you add more storage to one? Is an Aurender similar to a Unitiserve?
SS
I believe the aurender n100h that cd has is 2700 dollars,it has 2 terabytes of storage...im not sure which one mr integration has?The only thing about it i dont like is the lack of s/pdif output.
I would have to get a converter to use with the xds I was looking at you setup pics...did you eliminate all the emotiva gear when you got the uniti 2?I thought about trying the xpr-1 for my center channel,but decided to go with the cary 500.1When i asked my dealer about emotiva he smiled and said "you get what you pay for".What were/are your impressions of their stuff?
Maybe cd can give his impressions of the aurender

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26342 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
I did the same try every type of way to get files to the speakers. In the end a product like an Aurender really does work best. It is a purpose built device that doesn't get email or browse the web. It plays music a pretty much handles any type of file out there. It is more costly than a PC or Mac but it is also much better built.
I hear you on PC/Mac music, I have a 5.1 (Gallo Nucleus system) hooked up to my desk top! lol A Denon AVR-1712 and its good for burning files or listening while I am working, I put it in 5 channel stereo and seem to get work done faster when I am surrounded by music. The Aurender pieces are very nice and I am looking at one for my main listening HT room, otherwise I am currently using the Oppo 105D with very good results, just need a tad better dac now. I am re-ripping my music to AIFF at the highest quality and also using dBpowerAmp for ripping along with iTunes, the results are pretty eye opening since a lot of my music was in MP3 format and down Rezed because it was on an iPod for convenience. Anyone try Amazons service? What I like is if you buy a CD they also give you a free rip via their service. Glad your liking the 600, I am tempted to get a pair of the X14A or Focus 200 but I think that would be overkill sitting in front of my computer.

no quarter: The Aurenders stuff is very well made, just wish they would come in at a slightly less expensive price point, like say $1500... especially since they have much less expensive cost for labor in Korea. Regardless very nice stuff!
Garman is online now  
post #26343 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
SS
I believe the aurender n100h that cd has is 2700 dollars,it has 2 terabytes of storage...im not sure which one mr integration has?The only thing about it i dont like is the lack of s/pdif output.
I would have to get a converter to use with the xds I was looking at you setup pics...did you eliminate all the emotiva gear when you got the uniti 2?I thought about trying the xpr-1 for my center channel,but decided to go with the cary 500.1When i asked my dealer about emotiva he smiled and said "you get what you pay for".What were/are your impressions of their stuff?
Maybe cd can give his impressions of the aurender
I still have an XPA-3 I use for my center and surrounds. The XPA-2 was sold when I went with the W4S IA and the UMC-1 was a few years back when I still had my Mirage speakers. I can't really comment on that piece other than from memory with different speakers. I think it was more neutral sounding than the Naim gear. The Naim gear seems to give a little something in the mids that puts a smile on my face.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #26344 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I hear you on PC/Mac music, I have a 5.1 (Gallo Nucleus system) hooked up to my desk top! lol A Denon AVR-1712 and its good for burning files or listening while I am working, I put it in 5 channel stereo and seem to get work done faster when I am surrounded by music. The Aurender pieces are very nice and I am looking at one for my main listening HT room, otherwise I am currently using the Oppo 105D with very good results, just need a tad better dac now. I am re-ripping my music to AIFF at the highest quality and also using dBpowerAmp for ripping along with iTunes, the results are pretty eye opening since a lot of my music was in MP3 format and down Rezed because it was on an iPod for convenience. Anyone try Amazons service? What I like is if you buy a CD they also give you a free rip via their service. Glad your liking the 600, I am tempted to get a pair of the X14A or Focus 200 but I think that would be overkill sitting in front of my computer.

no quarter: The Aurenders stuff is very well made, just wish they would come in at a slightly less expensive price point, like say $1500... especially since they have much less expensive cost for labor in Korea. Regardless very nice stuff!
yeah garman there is nothing worse than dropping 2k+ on gear... Then someone releases a unit that outdoes it for half the priceThat Auralic mini might be worth waiting for. Today I have been listening to my c1 mk11s on the supernait system...damn they sound nice but they are such a hard load,I have to turn the volume up half way to get them movingJust enjoying them while I can,have to hand them over this week.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26345 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
yeah garman there is nothing worse than dropping 2k+ on gear... Then someone releases a unit that outdoes it for half the priceThat Auralic mini might be worth waiting for. Today I have been listening to my c1 mk11s on the supernait system...damn they sound nice but they are such a hard load,I have to turn the volume up half way to get them movingJust enjoying them while I can,have to hand them over this week.
What speakers will you use with the SN2 when the C1s are gone?
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #26346 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
What speakers will you use with the SN2 when the C1s are gone?
Either my paradigm moniter 90p's or the excite 12's for now,I may explore kef and pmc

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26347 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Either my paradigm moniter 90p's or the excite 12's for now,I may explore kef and pmc
Naim and PMC are suppose to be a great pairing.
Garman likes this.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #26348 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
yeah garman there is nothing worse than dropping 2k+ on gear... Then someone releases a unit that outdoes it for half the priceThat Auralic mini might be worth waiting for. Today I have been listening to my c1 mk11s on the supernait system...damn they sound nice but they are such a hard load,I have to turn the volume up half way to get them movingJust enjoying them while I can,have to hand them over this week.
Naim is good gear but a 4ohm load via Dynaudio at times craves more..... I have had good luck with Musical Fidelity and Pass with Dynaudio as I am sure there are other brands that would work well....
Garman is online now  
post #26349 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Never had an issue with my naim XS or U2 with any of my Dyns. Even Mike at Dyn USA said he uses a SN with his C1s and loves it.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is online now  
post #26350 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Callas01: not sure as the more high quality high current Amps tended too work better for me, especially at lower listening levels especially with the Confidence series! I think George will back me up on that one, since he convinced me to upgrade from my Original C2s to the Platinums. Even with a modest Amp or Int. Amp setup their was a good difference just because of the slight changes to the speaker.
Garman is online now  
post #26351 of 26365 Old 07-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Callas01: not sure as the more high quality high current Amps tended too work better for me, especially at lower listening levels especially with the Confidence series! I think George will back me up on that one, since he convinced me to upgrade from my Original C2s to the Platinums. Even with a modest Amp or Int. Amp setup their was a good difference just because of the slight changes to the speaker.
Yes garman , i agree...i always felt that i needed more power with the c1s,i was using a cary audio 200.2 to drive them (350x2 into 4 ohms)i was going to upgrade to cary 500.1 monoblocks(1000watts into 4 ohms) but decided to go with the xd 600s for l/r channel and exchange the 200.2 for a 500.1 for the center channel only.It saves on room, and judging by my home demo of the 200xds...will be more than dynamic enough for my needs
I feel ...to get the most out of the c1s you need something like pass labs monoblocks... and they are expensive and kick off a ton of heat,jmo.The c1s worked a lot better with the cary(350x2)
than the supernait(130 x2)although naim watts are decievingCallas,this is not the first time i tried the c1s with the supernait...i actually thought the focus 160s i had were much better with that amp.They do sound good,but i feel you would need the new 300dr or500dr(naim)to do them justice...cant afford that.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26352 of 26365 Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
no quarter: I am using a Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp and she is doing about 770wpc into 4ohms, very clean sounding and dynamic power, it always does a great job with any speaker I have and I won't be looking for anything anytime soon till this one bites the dust.
Garman is online now  
post #26353 of 26365 Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Callas01: not sure as the more high quality high current Amps tended too work better for me, especially at lower listening levels especially with the Confidence series! I think George will back me up on that one, since he convinced me to upgrade from my Original C2s to the Platinums. Even with a modest Amp or Int. Amp setup their was a good difference just because of the slight changes to the speaker.
When I had the original C1's I was using a Bryston B100sst (180W @4ohm ) then switched to the Octave V70se (70W @4ohm ). Even though the V70 has less than 1/2 the power the V70 sounded so much better and not as dry and better control. Still had to crank it quite a bit with either amp to get the best sound and put a big smile on my face. Then I upgraded to the C1 Sig. Didn't have to listen as loud to sound the best. Then I upgraded the V70 to the V110 (110W @4ohm ). A hair better control even at lower listening levels.
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #26354 of 26365 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
no quarter: I am using a Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp and she is doing about 770wpc into 4ohms, very clean sounding and dynamic power, it always does a great job with any speaker I have and I won't be looking for anything anytime soon till this one bites the dust.
Garman,the c2s are actually easier to drive than the c1s i believe...87db vs 85db .I was just on the dynaudio site...has anyone ever tried the professional series for home use?There is a speaker called m3xe moniter,look it up ...holy s_ _t it has 2, 12 inch drivers... 2, 6 inch mids...
and esotar 2 tweeter.Then there is this beast of an amp they pair with it delivering 2400 watts.
Check it out ,theres a little video there to watch about it.No idea what those would be worth?
but it says 135dbs/spl peak power...THAT would be some party speaker

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26355 of 26365 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Garman,the c2s are actually easier to drive than the c1s i believe...87db vs 85db .I was just on the dynaudio site...has anyone ever tried the professional series for home use?There is a speaker called m3xe moniter,look it up ...holy s_ _t it has 2, 12 inch drivers... 2, 6 inch mids...
and esotar 2 tweeter.Then there is this beast of an amp they pair with it delivering 2400 watts.
Check it out ,theres a little video there to watch about it.No idea what those would be worth?
but it says 135dbs/spl peak power...THAT would be some party speaker
You are correct, I had the MF KW500 at the time I had my C1s originals and C1 MKII and C2 originals and remember they were harder to drive. I sold my KW-500 to a doctor friend and then I bought it back from him 4 years later because he was never using it, I ended up getting the better deal in the long run!

George: I hear you, still looking at Raidho down the road....
Garman is online now  
post #26356 of 26365 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
George: I hear you, still looking at Raidho down the road....
Gar if the day comes where you prefer Raidho's over Dyn's that's great. If not that's great too. No one ever said Dyn is nothing but a world class speaker. They serve their purpose as a very dynamic speaker with a world class sound. Raidho's like Wilson - Magico - Polymer etc are not for everyone. But if you want an out of this world sound Raidho's may do it for you like it did for me and some others.
Garman and COmusicaddict like this.
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #26357 of 26365 Old Today, 06:08 AM
Member
 
COmusicaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Gar if the day comes where you prefer Raidho's over Dyn's that's great. If not that's great too. No one ever said Dyn is nothing but a world class speaker. They serve their purpose as a very dynamic speaker with a world class sound. Raidho's like Wilson - Magico - Polymer etc are not for everyone. But if you want an out of this world sound Raidho's may do it for you like it did for me and some others.
Agreed. 100% There are a lot of superb sounding loudspeakers out there. I am constantly deriving pleasure from my Sapphires, and totally enjoying those MB-2.5s as well; they just have a different presentation. It's all personal preference-no rights and wrongs (and let's not bring up Bose ).
Garman likes this.
COmusicaddict is offline  
post #26358 of 26365 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
CoMusicaddict: It's definitely a different sound when you go from the Dynaudio to the 2.5 then back.... I find I am better off listening to one pair for a few weeks then switching back, I can't put my finger on it but they different presentations that is for sure.
Garman is online now  
post #26359 of 26365 Old Today, 08:07 AM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Gar if the day comes where you prefer Raidho's over Dyn's that's great. If not that's great too. No one ever said Dyn is nothing but a world class speaker. They serve their purpose as a very dynamic speaker with a world class sound. Raidho's like Wilson - Magico - Polymer etc are not for everyone. But if you want an out of this world sound Raidho's may do it for you like it did for me and some others.
George
Are the raidho's power hungry like the c1s?What amp are you currently using?...still the octave?I had not heard of polymer,Did a Google search...they look interesting tooHave you heard these?if so any impressions.There is a YouTube video with the raidho's running off a big pair of pass monoblocks...that tells me they may like some juice too

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26360 of 26365 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I had used the Octave V110 with the D2's up until the end of Axpona. It really held its own at low to upper mid volumes (I typically don't listen that loud). But for better control I now have the Aavik U300. But yes Raidho's are power hungry like Dyn's. That said the difference IMO with going to 300W was extremely minor except when pushed to the loudest levels
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #26361 of 26365 Old Today, 10:31 AM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
I had used the Octave V110 with the D2's up until the end of Axpona. It really held its own at low to upper mid volumes (I typically don't listen that loud). But for better control I now have the Aavik U300. But yes Raidho's are power hungry like Dyn's. That said the difference IMO with going to 300W was extremely minor except when pushed to the loudest levels
Wow...you have quite a setup there George,I think you mentioned you have a naim music server...is that your only source, or do you spin vinyl too?I would love to try the d1,are the scan sonics close ... Or what about the c1.1,are they in the ballpark of the d1?As you know I will be looking for something for 2 channel down the roadStill waiting for that evidence moniter!

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26362 of 26365 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Yes I only have the Naim US as a source. Got rid of my pottery wheel (Thorens TD160) about 20 years ago. Last time I went to buy an album I had to open 5 in front of the clerk to find one that didn't have bubbles in the pressing (which caused my woofers to dance).

IMO the Scansonics are not close too the Raidho sound at all (very different but great for the $$). I have yet to hear the C series but have heard all X and D series. X series sound pretty close to the D series with the biggest difference IMO is a blacker background with the D series. Another thing because of the blacker background the music is actually louder than you perceive it to be (just another one of those haunting differences).

Regarding an Evidence monitor I don't think that will happen. Years ago Wilfred came to Chicago to meet with the Dyn reps and some dealers. Tyler asked me what I would ask of Wilfred . I had only 2 suggestions. 1 A sub with a high level input - 2 An Evidence monitor. As for the first suggestion the answer was a very quick NO. The second answer was a smile and he said just wait. About a year later the C1 MKII/Signature arrived. Remember the C1 used the woofer from the Evidence Temptation and the S25 used the woofer from the Evidence Master. The crossover was the big change (along with the internal wiring) with the C1 MKII/Sig and there was no changes to the S25.Both had the Esotar2 tweeter. But that was way before a new owner. Changes seem to be happening very quickly since even if only cosmetic. If enough folks ask for an Evidence monitor the new owner my do it
OctaDyn_Dude is offline  
post #26363 of 26365 Old Today, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Yes I only have the Naim US as a source. Got rid of my pottery wheel (Thorens TD160) about 20 years ago. Last time I went to buy an album I had to open 5 in front of the clerk to find one that didn't have bubbles in the pressing (which caused my woofers to dance).

IMO the Scansonics are not close too the Raidho sound at all (very different but great for the $$). I have yet to hear the C series but have heard all X and D series. X series sound pretty close to the D series with the biggest difference IMO is a blacker background with the D series. Another thing because of the blacker background the music is actually louder than you perceive it to be (just another one of those haunting differences).

Regarding an Evidence monitor I don't think that will happen. Years ago Wilfred came to Chicago to meet with the Dyn reps and some dealers. Tyler asked me what I would ask of Wilfred . I had only 2 suggestions. 1 A sub with a high level input - 2 An Evidence monitor. As for the first suggestion the answer was a very quick NO. The second answer was a smile and he said just wait. About a year later the C1 MKII/Signature arrived. Remember the C1 used the woofer from the Evidence Temptation and the S25 used the woofer from the Evidence Master. The crossover was the big change (along with the internal wiring) with the C1 MKII/Sig and there was no changes to the S25.Both had the Esotar2 tweeter. But that was way before a new owner. Changes seem to be happening very quickly since even if only cosmetic. If enough folks ask for an Evidence monitor the new owner my do it
I agree with most of your post and disagree with some of it, as when Lars came into town for Axpona, he stated the Scansonic sound was very close to the sound or Raidho, 70-75% and after hearing them side by side I would say his comments were spot on. Now weather you can justify the cost difference between the two and you hear a significant difference, than let your "own" ears be the judge. Very similar to the Confidence line and Focus line although they are closer in price. Also the blacker background can be contributed to that awesome Int. Amp (Aavik U300) they have, that had a lot more to do with it from what I was told, both sets of speakers 2.5 and the D3 had virtually zero noise floor during their presentation. I contribute that to the Int. Amp and the great care on setting that room up correctly by Tyler and Lars, plus the right type of music selected for playback never hurts! I might have my 2.5 up for sale, but I might still ask Tyler for a trade in on a pair of Raidho down the road, just not sure yet. The Aavik U300 is a killer Int. and if I had to replace my KW-500, I would do it with this unit and get a world class Dac as a bonus!

no quarter: If you are looking for a great speaker, and I still think one of the better ones as far as a monitor goes, I would look at a pair of used Special 25s, very nice speaker and as George says uses a Evidence Woofer. I had a pair for a few months and wish I would have never sold them, another speaker that was also very good was the Contour 1.3 SE.

Last edited by Garman; Today at 04:01 PM.
Garman is online now  
post #26364 of 26365 Old Today, 09:27 PM
Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I agree with most of your post and disagree with some of it, as when Lars came into town for Axpona, he stated the Scansonic sound was very close to the sound or Raidho, 70-75% and after hearing them side by side I would say his comments were spot on. Now weather you can justify the cost difference between the two and you hear a significant difference, than let your "own" ears be the judge. Very similar to the Confidence line and Focus line although they are closer in price. Also the blacker background can be contributed to that awesome Int. Amp (Aavik U300) they have, that had a lot more to do with it from what I was told, both sets of speakers 2.5 and the D3 had virtually zero noise floor during their presentation. I contribute that to the Int. Amp and the great care on setting that room up correctly by Tyler and Lars, plus the right type of music selected for playback never hurts! I might have my 2.5 up for sale, but I might still ask Tyler for a trade in on a pair of Raidho down the road, just not sure yet. The Aavik U300 is a killer Int. and if I had to replace my KW-500, I would do it with this unit and get a world class Dac as a bonus!

no quarter: If you are looking for a great speaker, and I still think one of the better ones as far as a monitor goes, I would look at a pair of used Special 25s, very nice speaker and as George says uses a Evidence Woofer. I had a pair for a few months and wish I would have never sold them, another speaker that was also very good was the Contour 1.3 SE.
octa/garman...thanks for the right ups,very informative.Garman,as i sit here listening to my c1s for the last couple of days i know what you mean about wishing you never got rid of themI put up some viscoustics absorber panels behind them today
and it really makes a difference for the better... better soundstage, bass seems tighter ,imaging is spot on...what have i done The special 25s would be on my radar,are they as hard to drive as the c1s?Its hard to find a lot of information about them ,other than what i have read on here.I would like to find that perfect match for the supernait...and be done
No real rush though...the xds should keep me busy when they arrive.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
no quarter is online now  
post #26365 of 26365 Old Today, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Well, as far as monitors go, the Special 25 and C1 where two of my favorites.. I love a good monitor and currently have a pair of KEF LS50 and a pair of Contour 1.3MK II I would love to find a pair of Special 25 if I had the cash right now I would have bought the pair on Audiogon. I think there is a pair on Audio Mart at a very good price if you figure in US currency..
Garman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off