Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 888 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 798Likes
post #26611 of 26630 Unread 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Otto,

Listening to the Focus XD400 and my Naim Uniti2 / Focus 260s I found the XDs voicing to be closer to the Confidence line, but all the other subjective sounds to be very close to the same. Comparing these 2 they are very similarly priced and performance was about the same. I think the passive line is a little more tipped up sounding in the lower treble more along the lines of the S25 or Sapphire, but otherwise, bass response, details, soundstage layout, were very similar.

Maybe you could shed some light on another topic thats been floating around? Are the passive Focus speakers being discontinued? If so, will we see a replacement? Or will it just be lost? From my understanding the Focus line has been the biggest seller since its introduction, so why would you kill it off?

Lastly, will we be seeing a 40th anniversary product?
Callas,did you have a home demo with the xd 400's?I was wondering if you tried them for just 2 channel... Or in your 5.1 setup too.One of the things I really like about the xd's is they work really well in 2 channel and 7.1 too.Also i don't worry about the drivers popping when I crank it up

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26612 of 26630 Unread 08-30-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
Thanks (both of you). I only recently started working for Dynaudio, although I have been a dealer for around 15 years, so I have experience with the products. That is why you won't have seen the Dynaudio name in my signature thus far. My older posts mostly have to do with my background as a video calibrator, and most are several years back, so they won't be of much relevance. I'll do what I can to keep in touch with this thread, and chime in whenever it feels relevant, without interfering too much with your discussions :-)

Let me say first that I'm perfectly fine with opposing views on what constitutes a good system. That's why we have more than one model, after all. And yes we will continue to offer great passive speakers! We do believe that the best sound-per-dollar is found in our active systems, but we fully understand the reasons to choose a system including passive speakers. That said, it doesn't mean that all active speakers are inherently good, and all passive speakers are inherently bad. We shouldn't underestimate the fact that there are a lot of speaker designers with decades of experience with passive crossovers, and they won't necessarily be able to create a good active speaker. I believe that is part of the reason why an upgrade from passive to active doesn't always yield better results. I do believe that if it doesn't, it is because the active system was implemented poorly though. The proof is in the pudding - what matters is the overall sound quality that reaches your ears in the end. And if you compare a Xeo to a similar Excite with good electronics (which would be more expensive), or Focus XD to a similar passive Focus, I think very few will disagree that the active version sounds better. But again yes, there are very valid reasons to stick with a passive setup.

We certainly don't believe that hi-res audio isn't an improvement, and this is why the Focus XD supports 192 kHz. But every decision when designing a product has benefits and drawbacks. Yes downsampling degrades sound quality - but so does a passive filter. One isn't inherently worse than the other, they're different. The fact is that the degradation from downsampling hi-res to 48 kHz is, globally, not that big. If we went with higher-grade electronics, we would have to skimp on the drivers to keep the price point, and then the end result would sound worse, even at 96 or 192 kHz. Sticking at 48 kHz actually helps us deliver a better sound quality at the given price point. A passive setup with a 192 kHz DAC in the end isn't actually truer to the source, it just has a different flavor of drawbacks. I hope this makes sense.

Now, why 48 and not 44.1? There are several reasons for this, but again it has to do with benefits and drawbacks, and one isn't by definition better than the other. 44.1 would degrade most hi-res material more than 48. There are other arguments to be made, this is just to give an example.

I don't agree that the analog input on the Focus XD is a contradiction. It is simply an added usability feature, it's not there to serve as an upgrade path. It makes the XD usable for instance with AV processors that mostly only have analog outputs. But to get the best sound from a Focus XD with digital sources, you should be using the coax RCA digital input. That is the shortest signal path. The analog input is converted to digital, which is a necessity since the amplifiers are digital. If you're a purist and want a true analog signal path, I guess it's just not the speaker for you. We're perfectly fine with that, we have a full lineup of passive models for you :-)
Ottoj: Welcome, I been a Dynaudio fan for some time, and heard the Focus XD at Axpona in Chicago liked them a lot but not nearly as much as the C2 Confidence Platinum so I traded my older originals in for them right now just using a Oppo 105D for a music server/Dac with decent results but I am about ready to try out a Hegel HD12 I just picked up hoping it improves on Redbook CDs side. So far not bad! I also have a mint pair of Contour 1.3MKII I bring out for some decent monitor listening.
post #26613 of 26630 Unread 08-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
callas almost took my question for Otto... or should we call him Mr. J?

Question: will the S40 speaker be active or passive?
You might as well get used to me copy/pasting: "I can't comment on unannounced products" :-)

Otto Jørgensen
Customer Care Manager, Denmark
Dynaudio A/S
post #26614 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Interesting with a Dyn person here. And thanks to you Otto for making it official and not just lurking here. Now we know you might be a little "biased" . But I mean that in a good way.

So I'll try with a more open question.. Does anyone know if Dynaudio is planning an active speaker with a more special design and/or finish like the Confidence line. I like the XD sound but I do NOT like the look of them and the finish.

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer
post #26615 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Interesting with a Dyn person here. And thanks to you Otto for making it official and not just lurking here. Now we know you might be a little "biased" . But I mean that in a good way.

So I'll try with a more open question.. Does anyone know if Dynaudio is planning an active speaker with a more special design and/or finish like the Confidence line. I like the XD sound but I do NOT like the look of them and the finish.
He can't comment!!! LOL

But think about it: Dynaudio felt that the case for the Xeo was there and then they brought similar tech to XD. The problem I see is that the XD 600 almost competes on price with the Confidence C2 Platinum. So if they "XD" the Contour and/or Confidence line, the price would be pretty high up there.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #26616 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Who here has done extensive auditioning of the XD 400 and 600, side-by-side? Can anyone comment on their differences?

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)

post #26617 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 05:29 AM

Quote:
He can't comment!!! LOL

But think about it: Dynaudio felt that the case for the Xeo was there and then they brought similar tech to XD. The problem I see is that the XD 600 almost competes on price with the Confidence C2 Platinum. So if they "XD" the Contour and/or Confidence line, the price would be pretty high up there.
Agree. But then again. When you spend that much on a speaker system I, for one, would like it to be a little more candy for the eye. But I agree with the price, I do not know how they would get about this. If the price is 3 times the "original" like it was for Focus vs XD then... damn...

post #26618 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Who here has done extensive auditioning of the XD 400 and 600, side-by-side? Can anyone comment on their differences?
Gt
the xd's are pretty new,i'm not sure if any dealers are carrying all three models to compare side by side.My dealer got the xd 200 in because i inquired about them...and he let me have a 2 week home demo.I ordered the xd 600's,and it took about 6 weeks for them to arrive.The xd 400's do not seem to have as many reviews as the 200's and 600's...to me the price jump to the 400's from the 200's seemed like a lot,so why not jump a bit more to the 600's?I now have about 350 hours on the 600's,so they should be fully broken in...best sounding speakers i have ever heard.Soon i will take them down to the basement and set them up in my 7.2 system

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
post #26619 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Cd
Surely,all the gear you go through... One of the dealers you know will let you demo a big balls amp for a couple of weeks?Before you send the kefs off into the night

Picked up a Classe CA-2200, to allow them a fair fight

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #26620 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 688
So now NO ONE wants to pre-order the AAM with me? Gonna let me be the guinea pig??

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #26621 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
So now NO ONE wants to pre-order the AAM with me? Gonna let me be the guinea pig??
I'd like to but not sure it's of ant benefit over the AppleTV for my XEOs. If the reviews are good I may pick one up to go with a new SN2 however.
post #26622 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I might be game, PM me! or just shoot me an e-mail which is better!

On another note, what is a good reasonable digital Coax Cable to use as I need to run it a tad further from my Audio Rack into my closet to my small Rack in the middle of my floor. 3-4 Meters should do it. Thx... After talking to a cable rep my ears were spinning as he said you need the cable to sit for awhile... LOL sorry but I started to laugh. I believe they can make some small differences but don't come from the camp "anymore" about they make huge differences and I have tried just about anything, from expensive to cheap.
post #26623 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
On another note, what is a good reasonable digital Coax Cable to use as I need to run it a tad further from my Audio Rack into my closet to my small Rack in the middle of my floor. 3-4 Meters should do it. Thx... After talking to a cable rep my ears were spinning as he said you need the cable to sit for awhile... LOL sorry but I started to laugh. I believe they can make some small differences but don't come from the camp "anymore" about they make huge differences and I have tried just about anything, from expensive to cheap.
Check out the Avanti cables. They won't break the bank and sound pretty good. Compared to the Nordost Heimdall2 they will be a bit louder with a hair more top and bottom end but lack some of the 'soul' in vocals.
Garman likes this.
post #26624 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Check out the Avanti cables. They won't break the bank and sound pretty good. Compared to the Nordost Heimdall2 they will be a bit louder with a hair more top and bottom end but lack some of the 'soul' in vocals.
George: These guys?

http://www.avantiaudio.com/Products.html

They don't make a 3-4 meter.

Thank you!

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 09:55 AM.
post #26625 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What is XD USD pricing again? $7K, $10K and $13K for XD 200, 400 and 600, respectively? If so, point taken. What is an extra $3K if you're prepared to spend $10K? They should have considered dropping the XD 400 and added an XD 800 based on the Confidence C2 for $19K.
post #26626 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What is XD USD pricing again? $7K, $10K and $13K for XD 200, 400 and 600, respectively? If so, point taken. What is an extra $3K if you're prepared to spend $10K? They should have considered dropping the XD 400 and added an XD 800 based on the Confidence C2 for $19K.
GT
I live in canada,so i have to deal with a 75 cent dollar right now:The LIST prices over here are...xd 200- 7700,xd 400-13700,xd 600-16800k,again that is LIST,in canadian dollars,with a crapppy exchange rate.Luckily,i was able to trade in my c1's and focus 160's for a good price to lesson the blow.

post #26627 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
George: These guys?

http://www.avantiaudio.com/Products.html

They don't make a 3-4 meter.

Thank you!
I'm sure Mike will make them for you if you ask. They were from the Shark in the traveling cable demo. I liked it enough to buy one. I still have the Nordost too.
post #26628 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

George: If you ever want to unload cable give me a call. I sold boat loads of it years ago as I had about 8K worth of demo cable that I got from manufactures to try out all the time, about 80% said to keep it, part of the perks!
post #26629 of 26630 Unread Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr. Otto J:

I have a dare for you!

I dare you to go get a few of your colleagues in Denmark and then go find your favorite Dynaudio setup there at the office...to watch/listen to this brilliant concert:

Consider this a 'thank you' from your Dynaudio fans @ AVS!

(Proud to have seen these guys 3 times at the 9:30 Club here in the Nation's Capital. It's also nice to run into the NPR Music 'dude' ... Mr. Bob B. just about everywhere I go here.)

<--- Watching/listening to this video right now on my brilliant speakers

post #26630 of 26630 Unread Today, 06:03 AM

Otto, what is Dynaudios stand on cables (digital) for the XD's. Anything to win/lose there in Dyns oppinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore