Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 889 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 801Likes
post #26641 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I think the question I have (and Otto can't answer) is, do manufacturers "gimp" certain accessories thinking that client X will most likely invest €Y to upgrade? Now, we know that NAIM does this with internal devices and power cables, etc. They want to sell you a $2K HiCap2 DR and a $750 PowerLine power cord. Heck, NAIM argues that a $3K FRAIM (furniture) will improve SQ of your NAIM equipment. This is ONE reason a lot of people HATE NAIM...and their disciples.

But does Dynaudio do the same thing? Do they purposefully throw in a 'bad' mains cable (power cable) into a Focus XD box knowing that someone will go spend $1K on a Nordost cable? My gut tells me Dynaudio is different; they want their speakers to sound as amazing as possible as soon as possible. But then again, this question gets into the murky swamp that is retail sales. Does Dynaudio encourage dealer A to audition their speakers with certain cables and if client X buys BOTH products then some sort of profit sharing takes place? Like I said...murky waters...
Octave is a good example. You should see the power cable that is stock from Octave. It's a joke. But in their defense why add even throw in a $100 power cable when most folks will most likely replace it anyhow. BTW GT the standard Naim power cable is one of the better/heavier ones I've seen. I'm not getting into a cable argument with anyone. That's a personal thing. Either cables make a difference to your ears or they don't. Even if it does is it worth it to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26642 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I think the question I have (and Otto can't answer) is, do manufacturers "gimp" certain accessories thinking that client X will most likely invest €Y to upgrade? Now, we know that NAIM does this with internal devices and power cables, etc. They want to sell you a $2K HiCap2 DR and a $750 PowerLine power cord. Heck, NAIM argues that a $3K FRAIM (furniture) will improve SQ of your NAIM equipment. This is ONE reason a lot of people HATE NAIM...and their disciples.

But does Dynaudio do the same thing? Do they purposefully throw in a 'bad' mains cable (power cable) into a Focus XD box knowing that someone will go spend $1K on a Nordost cable? My gut tells me Dynaudio is different; they want their speakers to sound as amazing as possible as soon as possible. But then again, this question gets into the murky swamp that is retail sales. Does Dynaudio encourage dealer A to audition their speakers with certain cables and if client X buys BOTH products then some sort of profit sharing takes place? Like I said...murky waters...
Gt
I know when you go to my dealer to listen to new gear,he usually has nordost Odin cables hooked up,his argument is... I just want to show you what it is truly capable of...maybe a bit deceptive,but I'm sure he would use the stock cables if you asked nicely

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
post #26643 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 230
GT: Very marginal gains when it comes to power chords and cables.. I have noticed differences in stock power chords and better made ones, I have compared modest priced ones like a Pangea Power Cable to Nordost and I heard zero differences. Today I compared the Dac of the 105D and power chords Audio Quest (Two different kinds) and zero, zip, nada, nothing. The differences in Dacs the Hegel HD12 and the Oppo were very slight, making me think why did I even bother with the Hegel, the cool thing is with the Digital out on the Oppo run to the Hegel it still does DSD tracks which is nice, but again very marginal differences at what they want these days for cables etc.. Guy from Audio Advisor had me laughing as he said you need to break in your cable in and make sure you don't move it around too much. lol My Dynaudio C2 sound great no matter what I through at them..... After having access to boat loads of cables over the years, I try to take a more reasonable approach to it, and look for a well made cable/power chord/speaker cable that doesn't break the bank and if you did a true DBT test 99% of the people couldn't hear the difference if they tried. So I will stick with reasonable.

Last edited by Garman; 09-01-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #26644 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
okay,

I have two (2) pairs of Vienna Acoustic Mahlers from way back when . I am pretty sure a tweeter upgrade is in order (e.g. suspicion of blown tweeters and vague recollection that tweeter upgrade had been available and "desirable" in the past). Is such a mod kit still available ? If so, who would I need to contact in the continental USA ?. I have had a previous history of "triggering" the protection circuits of a couple of high dollar amplifiers but that ended when I acquired a couple of Mark Levinson No. 336 amplifiers (but perhaps too late for tweeters). But there is some suspicion that I might have had a crossover problem in the past).

I also have suspicions of blown midrange/woofer based on "a-musical" audio content depending on music/movie content but one thing at a time.

Thanks for any assistance.
post #26645 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Picked up a Classe CA-2200, to allow them a fair fight
Cd
You have been awfully quiet...is the Classe in the house?

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
post #26646 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
GT: Very marginal gains when it comes to power chords and cables.. I have noticed differences in stock power chords and better made ones, I have compared modest priced ones like a Pangea Power Cable to Nordost and I heard zero differences. Today I compared the Dac of the 105D and power chords Audio Quest (Two different kinds) and zero, zip, nada, nothing. The differences in Dacs the Hegel HD12 and the Oppo were very slight, making me think why did I even bother with the Hegel, the cool thing is with the Digital out on the Oppo run to the Hegel it still does DSD tracks which is nice, but again very marginal differences at what they want these days for cables etc.. Guy from Audio Advisor had me laughing as he said you need to break in your cable in and make sure you don't move it around too much. lol My Dynaudio C2 sound great no matter what I through at them..... After having access to boat loads of cables over the years, I try to take a more reasonable approach to it, and look for a well made cable/power chord/speaker cable that doesn't break the bank and if you did a true DBT test 99% of the people couldn't hear the difference if they tried. So I will stick with reasonable.
Garman
I take it you don't own any cable risers Did you get rid of the scan sonics?That raidho thread seems to of died out,I did like the d-5 video you posted a while back... Are you stiil thinking of giving one of the ho's a spin?

post #26647 of 26669 Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Callas,did you have a home demo with the xd 400's?I was wondering if you tried them for just 2 channel... Or in your 5.1 setup too.One of the things I really like about the xd's is they work really well in 2 channel and 7.1 too.Also i don't worry about the drivers popping when I crank it up
Never had a woofer pop on my 260s and I drive them pretty hard.

My demo was with my material at THE Show in Newport this year. It was just 2-ch.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #26648 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My mind hurts reading Otto's replies. So diplomatic and, answering but not ansering, the questions

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer
post #26649 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Garman
I take it you don't own any cable risers Did you get rid of the scan sonics?That raidho thread seems to of died out,I did like the d-5 video you posted a while back... Are you stiil thinking of giving one of the ho's a spin?
No cable riser for me! Yes sold them, I liked them a lot but the Maggies I had sounded better to "my ears" for less money. I even liked the smaller .7 model over the 2.5, but the 2.5 had better bass, I would love to go with the D3s but I think they are too expensive for what you get and if you don't get them at a highly reduced cost you will loose your shorts if you don't like them. I still prefer the sound of Dynaudio/Maggies over the Raidho or Scansonics.
post #26650 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
No cable riser for me! Yes sold them, I liked them a lot but the Maggies I had sounded better to "my ears" for less money. I even liked the smaller .7 model over the 2.5, but the 2.5 had better bass, I would love to go with the D3s but I think they are too expensive for what you get and if you don't get them at a highly reduced cost you will loose your shorts if you don't like them. I still prefer the sound of Dynaudio/Maggies over the Raidho or Scansonics.
Garman
Yeah,I hear you on the costThe X1 would be the only one I could afford new...I am thinking of trying to get a demo of those soon,for the supernait,maybe with a sub.What about a d2?Octadyn seems to be happy with his,I still would be looking for a used pair though.It seems like quite a few companies are dabbling with active designs now.

post #26651 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Garman
Yeah,I hear you on the costThe X1 would be the only one I could afford new...I am thinking of trying to get a demo of those soon,for the supernait,maybe with a sub.What about a d2?Octadyn seems to be happy with his,I still would be looking for a used pair though.It seems like quite a few companies are dabbling with active designs now.
Speaking of of designs, people I know are raving about Golden Ear, but when I listen too them their bass seemed very muffled, but I guess you can adjust this, at 5K they are a bargain. The .7 Magnepan caught my ear and at $1400 for a pair they are a steal.
post #26652 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Speaking of of designs, people I know are raving about Golden Ear, but when I listen too them their bass seemed very muffled, but I guess you can adjust this, at 5K they are a bargain. The .7 Magnepan caught my ear and at $1400 for a pair they are a steal.
I auditioned a Triton One once. I came away thinking it was just an okay speaker. Not many faults really. But nothing that impressed either. Certainly had nothing with regards to clarity compared to my 260s. Perhaps not the most musical speaker either but great all-purpose speaker for HT setup.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #26653 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone here using a UpTone USB Regen on their DAC?

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)

post #26654 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Is anyone here using a UpTone USB Regen on their DAC?

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen
Gt
I have not tried the regen,but I was curious about your thoughts on those tellurium speaker cables... They seem to be raving about those on the naim forum,did you notice an improvement when you added them?I don't want to over-run the thread with cable talk...I just noticed you use those.I still think the best way to avoid all the USB noise etc. is to have a streamer/server that also stores all your music on it

post #26655 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I auditioned a Triton One once. I came away thinking it was just an okay speaker. Not many faults really. But nothing that impressed either. Certainly had nothing with regards to clarity compared to my 260s. Perhaps not the most musical speaker either but great all-purpose speaker for HT setup.
I totally agree, for a HT setup with some decent music once in awhile it is nice, the built in subs sure would help on the HT side, but I wasn't wowed by them!
post #26656 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gt
I have not tried the regen,but I was curious about your thoughts on those tellurium speaker cables... They seem to be raving about those on the naim forum,did you notice an improvement when you added them?I don't want to over-run the thread with cable talk...I just noticed you use those.I still think the best way to avoid all the USB noise etc. is to have a streamer/server that also stores all your music on it
You have to keep in mind that my old cables were of the good-but-nothing-special variety from Amazon. From Cables2Go? I can't compare the TQB to anything but that. But yes, I would say the difference is substantial. Definitely added detail and overall better control of the power from the SN2. I say well worth the upgrade. I went with TQB over NACA5 due to many comparison reviews I read. I also had a lengthy talk with a dealer who sells both and prefers the TQB and offered the same length (3M) of TQB for $100 off MSRP or about $250 less than NACA5.

post #26657 of 26669 Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't heard the 1s, but I did hear the 3s and I wasn't impressed for $2200.
Garman likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #26658 of 26669 Old Today, 04:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I love getting inside information no new products from Dynaudio. I just wish I could share more All I can say is save your pennies it is going to be a glorious year or two from Denmark!!!!

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #26659 of 26669 Old Today, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
I love getting inside information no new products from Dynaudio. I just wish I could share more All I can say is save your pennies it is going to be a glorious year or two from Denmark!!!!
I am thinking... Something really really kick-ass may be coming for the 40 th anniversary,my wish would be an active(xd) evidence moniter Am I getting warmI don't understand why speaker companies will not give the consumer a sneak preview...like movie studio's do,no hint's Mr integration?...or Otto ?

post #26660 of 26669 Old Today, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

What I can say is that the typical 5 year timeline for new products has been adjusted to warp speed. They are spreading the culture to a much larger team. More wireless products are coming really soon and I would say XD is going to expand.

Some electronics companies announce or show products before they are actually built. This leads to frustration because the early adopters wait and become beta testers. If you announce what you coming out with in a year you will like get the Osborne effect.I like when company announces and has it ready to ship shortly thereafter.

FYI an XD Center is coming within 12 months I am hoping they make this a kick ass product maybe even a three way for us theater/2 channel guys

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #26661 of 26669 Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quote:
What I can say is that the typical 5 year timeline for new products has been adjusted to warp speed. They are spreading the culture to a much larger team. More wireless products are coming really soon and I would say XD is going to expand.

Some electronics companies announce or show products before they are actually built. This leads to frustration because the early adopters wait and become beta testers. If you announce what you coming out with in a year you will like get the Osborne effect.I like when company announces and has it ready to ship shortly thereafter.

FYI an XD Center is coming within 12 months I am hoping they make this a kick ass product maybe even a three way for us theater/2 channel guys
What are you going to do with your confidence center if this happens?So you are telling me not to go trying other brands just yet... Out of curiosity...I was thinking of trying to get a demo with raidho,kef,pmc for 2 channel.Maybe I will just save my money for now...and wait

post #26662 of 26669 Old Today, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know you aren't getting your info from Otto J...

And if it's your dealer, I remain skeptical to some degree.

I am afraid the active line (Xeo and XD) does not yet hold my interest. I am hoping for a 40th Anniversary (passive) speaker that is a more-than-worthy successor to the S25...and still be somewhat affordable as the S25 was.

But is it true that Focus is dead in non-XD form? And any more info on this decision as to why?

post #26663 of 26669 Old Today, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If they kill the passive Focus models, I am hoping that they move these models to an expanded Excite line.

CEDIA is near...
post #26664 of 26669 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Focus is gone for sure. Products these days have to have a global appeal. Dynaudio makes way too many separate series of speakers that are for a small but deep market. They need speakers that sound great and can integrate with the interior. I think Excite will get some new models that should close the gaps nicely. I wish they would have NEVER called the XD Focus. They should have called them Just XD or something new.

post #26665 of 26669 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

That IMO can either be good or bad meaning if they come out with new or modified products too fast it can hurt the resale values of some existing products. Also looking at the confidence lineup starting with the MKII/Sig they made a significant upgrade in SQ and looks with what I'll say is a minimum cost increase. But once they came out with the Platinum it was only a cosmetic change with a significant price increase. Still not sure if I prefer the looks of the Platinums over the Signatures.

That said I would love to see Dyn improve the SQ at lower listening levels for all the lines of their speakers like they did for the confidence series. Read the downside of Dyns in this thread.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...naudio-or-Ohm-
post #26666 of 26669 Old Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Focus is gone for sure. Products these days have to have a global appeal. Dynaudio makes way too many separate series of speakers that are for a small but deep market. They need speakers that sound great and can integrate with the interior. I think Excite will get some new models that should close the gaps nicely. I wish they would have NEVER called the XD Focus. They should have called them Just XD or something new.
So how did Focus not fit this fill? And what about DM and Contour?

post #26667 of 26669 Unread Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Cd
You have been awfully quiet...is the Classe in the house?
I know NQ. I got called out of town, on a last-second business trip; and I've been playing catch-up since.

No...the Classe is not here yet. We did an MO, so that s l o w s things down, lol. It shipped yesterday...and I had my fingers crossed for a Saturday Home delivery; but I guess because of the holiday weekend...FedEx is saying Weds!

I did pick-up the IDA-8 though. Just getting it set up, but I think there's no doubt; this is a fun, little piece...for the right application (mine will probably go in the Bedroom!)

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #26668 of 26669 Unread Today, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I know NQ. I got called out of town, on a last-second business trip; and I've been playing catch-up since.

No...the Classe is not here yet. We did an MO, so that s l o w s things down, lol. It shipped yesterday...and I had my fingers crossed for a Saturday Home delivery; but I guess because of the holiday weekend...FedEx is saying Weds!

I did pick-up the IDA-8 though. Just getting it set up, but I think there's no doubt; this is a fun, little piece...for the right application (mine will probably go in the Bedroom!)
Cd
I am glad you will finally be able to hear the kef's with some quality POWER...it would be a shame if they were judged without proper amplificationI am still waiting for Cary audio to replace my monoblock that was buzzing ,my dealer is on vacation again.He was telling me last time I was there...another dealer he knows told him that,in July,he sold more than he did all of last year,that's a good sign for this industry,I wonder how dyn is doing since the Goer-tec merger?

post #26669 of 26669 Unread Today, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Cd
I am glad you will finally be able to hear the kef's with some quality POWER...it would be a shame if they were judged without proper amplificationI am still waiting for Cary audio to replace my monoblock that was buzzing ,my dealer is on vacation again.He was telling me last time I was there...another dealer he knows told him that,in July,he sold more than he did all of last year,that's a good sign for this industry,I wonder how dyn is doing since the Goer-tec merger?
Yeah NQ. It's not like I haven't heard, how impressive they could be. Let's be clear; they're great! If I were to keep an equally great, $11,000 pair of 3-way floor-standers instead; I don't think that's any indictment against the Ref 1s.

But...(and they remind me, more and more of the 25s every day) like many Danes; I just feel they need, some serious juice; to show their full potent-ial!

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page