Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 889 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 800Likes
post #26641 of 26647 Old Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I think the question I have (and Otto can't answer) is, do manufacturers "gimp" certain accessories thinking that client X will most likely invest €Y to upgrade? Now, we know that NAIM does this with internal devices and power cables, etc. They want to sell you a $2K HiCap2 DR and a $750 PowerLine power cord. Heck, NAIM argues that a $3K FRAIM (furniture) will improve SQ of your NAIM equipment. This is ONE reason a lot of people HATE NAIM...and their disciples.

But does Dynaudio do the same thing? Do they purposefully throw in a 'bad' mains cable (power cable) into a Focus XD box knowing that someone will go spend $1K on a Nordost cable? My gut tells me Dynaudio is different; they want their speakers to sound as amazing as possible as soon as possible. But then again, this question gets into the murky swamp that is retail sales. Does Dynaudio encourage dealer A to audition their speakers with certain cables and if client X buys BOTH products then some sort of profit sharing takes place? Like I said...murky waters...
Octave is a good example. You should see the power cable that is stock from Octave. It's a joke. But in their defense why add even throw in a $100 power cable when most folks will most likely replace it anyhow. BTW GT the standard Naim power cable is one of the better/heavier ones I've seen. I'm not getting into a cable argument with anyone. That's a personal thing. Either cables make a difference to your ears or they don't. Even if it does is it worth it to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26642 of 26647 Unread Today, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I think the question I have (and Otto can't answer) is, do manufacturers "gimp" certain accessories thinking that client X will most likely invest €Y to upgrade? Now, we know that NAIM does this with internal devices and power cables, etc. They want to sell you a $2K HiCap2 DR and a $750 PowerLine power cord. Heck, NAIM argues that a $3K FRAIM (furniture) will improve SQ of your NAIM equipment. This is ONE reason a lot of people HATE NAIM...and their disciples.

But does Dynaudio do the same thing? Do they purposefully throw in a 'bad' mains cable (power cable) into a Focus XD box knowing that someone will go spend $1K on a Nordost cable? My gut tells me Dynaudio is different; they want their speakers to sound as amazing as possible as soon as possible. But then again, this question gets into the murky swamp that is retail sales. Does Dynaudio encourage dealer A to audition their speakers with certain cables and if client X buys BOTH products then some sort of profit sharing takes place? Like I said...murky waters...
Gt
I know when you go to my dealer to listen to new gear,he usually has nordost Odin cables hooked up,his argument is... I just want to show you what it is truly capable of...maybe a bit deceptive,but I'm sure he would use the stock cables if you asked nicely

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
post #26643 of 26647 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 230
GT: Very marginal gains when it comes to power chords and cables.. I have noticed differences in stock power chords and better made ones, I have compared modest priced ones like a Pangea Power Cable to Nordost and I heard zero differences. Today I compared the Dac of the 105D and power chords Audio Quest (Two different kinds) and zero, zip, nada, nothing. The differences in Dacs the Hegel HD12 and the Oppo were very slight, making me think why did I even bother with the Hegel, the cool thing is with the Digital out on the Oppo run to the Hegel it still does DSD tracks which is nice, but again very marginal differences at what they want these days for cables etc.. Guy from Audio Advisor had me laughing as he said you need to break in your cable in and make sure you don't move it around too much. lol My Dynaudio C2 sound great no matter what I through at them..... After having access to boat loads of cables over the years, I try to take a more reasonable approach to it, and look for a well made cable/power chord/speaker cable that doesn't break the bank and if you did a true DBT test 99% of the people couldn't hear the difference if they tried. So I will stick with reasonable.

Last edited by Garman; Today at 03:45 PM.
post #26644 of 26647 Unread Today, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
okay,

I have two (2) pairs of Vienna Acoustic Mahlers from way back when . I am pretty sure a tweeter upgrade is in order (e.g. suspicion of blown tweeters and vague recollection that tweeter upgrade had been available and "desirable" in the past). Is such a mod kit still available ? If so, who would I need to contact in the continental USA ?. I have had a previous history of "triggering" the protection circuits of a couple of high dollar amplifiers but that ended when I acquired a couple of Mark Levinson No. 336 amplifiers (but perhaps too late for tweeters). But there is some suspicion that I might have had a crossover problem in the past).

I also have suspicions of blown midrange/woofer based on "a-musical" audio content depending on music/movie content but one thing at a time.

Thanks for any assistance.
post #26645 of 26647 Unread Today, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Picked up a Classe CA-2200, to allow them a fair fight
Cd
You have been awfully quiet...is the Classe in the house?

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player
post #26646 of 26647 Unread Today, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
GT: Very marginal gains when it comes to power chords and cables.. I have noticed differences in stock power chords and better made ones, I have compared modest priced ones like a Pangea Power Cable to Nordost and I heard zero differences. Today I compared the Dac of the 105D and power chords Audio Quest (Two different kinds) and zero, zip, nada, nothing. The differences in Dacs the Hegel HD12 and the Oppo were very slight, making me think why did I even bother with the Hegel, the cool thing is with the Digital out on the Oppo run to the Hegel it still does DSD tracks which is nice, but again very marginal differences at what they want these days for cables etc.. Guy from Audio Advisor had me laughing as he said you need to break in your cable in and make sure you don't move it around too much. lol My Dynaudio C2 sound great no matter what I through at them..... After having access to boat loads of cables over the years, I try to take a more reasonable approach to it, and look for a well made cable/power chord/speaker cable that doesn't break the bank and if you did a true DBT test 99% of the people couldn't hear the difference if they tried. So I will stick with reasonable.
Garman
I take it you don't own any cable risers Did you get rid of the scan sonics?That raidho thread seems to of died out,I did like the d-5 video you posted a while back... Are you stiil thinking of giving one of the ho's a spin?

post #26647 of 26647 Unread Today, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Callas,did you have a home demo with the xd 400's?I was wondering if you tried them for just 2 channel... Or in your 5.1 setup too.One of the things I really like about the xd's is they work really well in 2 channel and 7.1 too.Also i don't worry about the drivers popping when I crank it up
Never had a woofer pop on my 260s and I drive them pretty hard.

My demo was with my material at THE Show in Newport this year. It was just 2-ch.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page